After update 10.7.2 Black screen on desktop. HELP!

s.goten

35 posts in this topic

Hi,

I've updated Lion to 10.7.2 and now after the boot process when the apple logo disappear, instead of desktop I get a black screen. The system seems to be works under that black screen but there is no desktop. Only black.

Please help me!

Thanks in advance

UPDATE: this post is obsolete. i got it up and running. obviously i messed something up. i did a fresh install, updated and voila - everything works just with graphicsenabler. :-)

short restore from my last backup, and even icloud runs like a charm.

thanks to everyone that helped me!

-------------------------------

ORIGINAL POST:

-------------------------------

i had exactly the same problem. as i used graphicsenabler set to yes in boot.plist and nothing else, i changed it to "no". at least i can now log in. i used no dsdt and so i tried NVEnabler, which did not work for me (NVidia Geforce 8400GS). any ideas how i might fix my graphics in 10.7.2?

thanks in advance!

smorf

It seems like a lot of people experiencing problems with nvidia cards, don't know how about ATI, but it seems like GraphicsEnabler=y is not enough

i did checked while i had this trouble another card just to be sure it's a graphic problem (which i firstly experienced), so i inserted the 8400GS and got to the desktop, but no QE/CI

with the 220GT i got to nothing (Black Screen),

so i enabled Screen Sharing and had to play with all sort of things with my iPod (different DSDT with and without injection, no DSDT, Graphicsenabler=y/n, and finally, EFI string, which worked)

I'll re-post my reply from a similar topic:

I have a GTS 250 (512MB) card and upon booting OS X following the 10.7.2 update, I was also greeted by a black screen.

I had been using an EFI string in my com.apple.boot.plist to inject the graphics card, but this apparently was causing the system to fail.

I tried the following:

1. Removed my DSDT just in case it was causing problems-- I don't have graphics injection in my DSDT so this didn't make a difference. For the remaining attempts, the DSDT remained in /Extra.

2. Removed EFI String from com.apple.boot.plist, but kept <GraphicsEnabler><No> key in com.apple.boot.plist-- this allowed OS X to boot into the GUI, but without proper resolution or accelerated graphics.

3. Removed EFI String, changed <GraphicsEnabler> key to <Yes> -- this booted with "full" QE/CI and proper resolution, but it was extremely choppy with intermittent white flashes on the screen and buggy animations.

4. Removed EFI string, changed <GraphicsEnabler> key to <No>, and added NVEnabler.kext (64-bit) to /Extra/Extensions-- a verbose boot indicated that the extension wasn't being loaded, so no dice.

5. Removed EFI string, changed <GraphicsEnabler> key to <No>, and added NVEnabler.kext (64-bit) to /System/Library/Extensions and repaired with KextUtility-- VOILA!

Hope that helps somebody. Check my signature for more details on the rest of my hardware. Feel free to PM me if you have a similar card and can't get it to work!

Now, if we can take care of this iCloud business of my Apple ID not being recognized as an iCloud ID... grr...

Black Screen FIX (DSDT Injection):

Thanks. It works for me to.

However, it's quite bizarre as previously to do this change, if I rebooted OSX without any KextCache (I cleaned all of them with ONYX - or I rebooted with the alt key pressed), it works. But I've go the black screen as soon as the KextKernel cache is loaded. No idea why ???

THX goes to zoliky for the fix!

I've used the fix to edit my plist and was able to generate a new EFI String thats now working like before and backwards compatible!

A short guide:

Locate the following section in your in.plist or what ever you called it:

<key>device_type</key>

<string>NVDA,GeForce</string>

Replace NVDA,GeForce with NVDA,Parent.

Generate a new EFI String and insert it into your org.chameleon.Boot.plist.

That's it!

Hi,

I am also getting the black screen problem. I have a GTX 260. I am not very good at this stuff but I remember adding a string to my com.apple.boot. Is this and EFI string? Anyways, I tried deleting that sting and using NVEnabler64, but it did not work. It is evident that DSDT Injection works fine. How do I do this, I am completely lost.

Thanks,

Matt

So do I use EFI strings, DSDT Injection, or both?

Matt, I am in the exact same basket as you. Did you get anywhere with it?

I am using chameleon and need to change the DSDT.aml file as per the zoliky's instructions; how can this be done in boot options in chameleon? How can this be done when I get the black screen on boot?

Thanks