Installed: MAC OS X 10.6.8 Full Retaill on Dell Latitude E6510

dellE6510

12 posts in this topic

big thanks to Ktbos for his thread on the E6410 that inspired me to do this on my E6510. Check out his thread for valuable info.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=219229

I now have MAC OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard Full Retail installed and working on a Dell Latitude E6510

(The Install Disc should look as depicted below. If it's a grey OEM disc or the Purple/Black Disc with a Big X through it, they won't work!).

t96zhs.jpg

E6410 Boot Disc Download

http://www.mediafire.com/?u1yzvwm2tty

(Kexter Application and Post Install App are included with E6410 Boot Disc)

Specs

Dell Latitude E6510

Intel Dual Core vPro i5-560M 2.67 ghz processor, 1066MHz, 3M L2 Cache

320GB 7200RPM HD

4GB DDR3-1333 SDRAM

NVIDIA 3100M 512MB Video Card

Intel WiFi Link 6200 (802.11 a/g/n 2X2) 1/2 MiniCard

Current Issues

I have gotten the video drivers to load finally, but the kexts and dsdt's still need some tweaking to get performance corrected, as it's still a bit slow and choppy.

screenshots do not work

Sleep/Hibernate Does not work currently

No wifi - to get the wifi to work you will need to order a MAC Compatible wifi chip. From what I've read the Dell DW1397 KW770 WLAN Wireless 802.11b/g Card new will work. You can find them on ebay for like $10 shipped, very cheap.

(it's displaying 10.6, but I'm running 10.6.8)

Does not show the brand of the processor running or how many cores, just shows the processor speed.

What is Working

USB ports are all working (recognizes flash drives, external hard drivers and accessories)

keyboard works fine

Volume buttons and mute button on keyboard working

ethernet controller installed, tested and verified working

touchpad mouse working

usb mouse working

audio now working

battery indicator in menu bar is working (but im not sure how accurately)

FN+Up arrow/down arrow to reduce or brighten screen is working

screensaver is working (a bit choppy and slow though)

Video drivers have been successfully loaded (but still in need of tweaking)

About This MAC does not accurately show the current full version of the MAC OS X it's running

Unknowns at this time

eSATA port functional?

Smart Card Reader functional?

VGA port in the rear functional?

HDMI port on the left side functional?

Express Card port on left forward side functional?

PCI Express Card on right forward side functional?

Fingerprint swipe reader functional?

1394 Firewire port functional?

Install Process for Snow Leopard 10.6.8 Full Retail on Dell Latitude E6510

Start your computer and hit F12 a few times to bring up Boot Options.

Enter Bios

Under General Settings go to Boot Sequence and change your CD/DVD to Primary Boot Position

Enable USB Support and set it to your Secondary Boot Position

change your Hard Drive to Third Boot Position

Now go to System Configuration Tab and Click on SATA Operation and change it to AHCI

Hit Apply and Exit

Use the E6410Bootiso Boot Disc to boot to the Selection Screen

Eject the Boot Disc

Insert the MAC OS X 10.6.8 Full Retail DVD

Hit F5 to refresh available drive options

Selected the MAC OS X Snow Leopard Install DVD

typed PCIRootUID=1 -x

hit enter

Setup/Install process began, showing several pages of lines of code for about 3-4 minutes

Then the MAC OS X GUI pops up asking to Select a Language

Select English

Click Next (or the right facing arrow)

Now before you install, click on the top menu till you find Disk Utility and click on it

Select your drive (I recommend you partition it into 2 parts, 1 of the OS and 1 for the Backup)

Select Partition and partition your drive or both drives in MAC OS Extended Journaled and choose apply.

Now click on the Erase tab and Erase each partition seperately (quick erase is fine)

Now exit and restart.

Use the E6410Bootiso Boot Disc to boot to the Selection Screen

Eject the Boot Disc

Insert the MAC OS X 10.6.8 Full Retail DVD

Hit F5 to refresh available drive options

Select the MAC OS X Snow Leopard Install DVD

type PCIRootUID=1 -x

hit enter

Setup/Install Process Began showed several pages of lines of code for about 3-4 minutes

Then the MAC OS X GUI Popped Up asking me to Select a Language

Select English

Click Next (or the right facing arrow)

I customized my install options to my liking and then clicked continue

the Install Process took about 30-35 minutes total.

It got to the very end and then it said it had failed and could not be installed (don't panic, this is normal)

reboot the computer, put the E6410 Boot Disc Back in and hit F12

Select Boot from CD and hit enter to allow the computer to boot from the cd

The Boot Selection Menu appeared

Selected the MAC OSX Hard Drive where I installed 10.6.8 to

and typed -f -v -x and hit enter

the Install Process finished and the start up video began to play.

Asked me to select a language again which I selected as English

I then entered my account username and password

and I chose to Skip Registration and hit continue

I was notified Installation was complete and I hit Finish

The computer then loaded into MAC OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard

Updated 4:24 AM Central Time, Aug-21-2011

Set your settings and preferences within Snow Leopard (customize it the way you want it)

Open E6410 Boot CD

Go to Post-Install E6410 Folder

Run Post-Install App and follow directions

Now Run the Kexter Program (a program window will open)

Then go to the S/L/E Folder on the E6410 Boot CD

drag the ApplePS2Controller.kext and the IntelE1000e.kext into the Kexter Program (this provides your ethernet adapter and your touchpad mouse controller)

enter your password to authenticate and click Easy Install

Close everything out, Eject Your CD from the Drive and Reboot

Snow Leopard 10.6.8 should reboot without errors

Snow Leopard will launch to the Grey Screen with an Apple in the center

the cursor dial will spin for a few minutes then Snow Leopard will load into the OS.

Once you load back into the OS, run Time Machine and make a Backup! (Can't stress this enough!)

Now to Install the Audio (Updated 21-Aug-2011 @ 7:22 AM Central Time

Now that you've rebooted after your Time Machine Backup

Open the E6410 Boot Disc on your Desktop

Import the VoodooHDA.kext from the S/L/E directory on the E6140 CD to the kexter program (it's most likely going to lock your computer up, it's ok don't worry, just reboot and let it cycle through the process, then it will boot back into Snow Leopard on it's own.

now open the E6410 Disc and open the folder Post Install E6410. copy VoodooHDA.prefPane to /System/Library/PreferencePanes

Now click on the Apple in the top left portion of your screen, System Preferences, and find the Voodoo Tab at the bottom of the window, this sets your sound settings.

Not necessary to backup at this point, it's up to you, but it never hurts to backup your last good known configuration.

Install Modified DSDT File Updated Mon 22-Aug-2011 12:57 AM Central Time

I have received my DSDT from MaLd0n

Before doing anything I made sure to do a Time Machine Backup

I deleted my DSDT.aml from my /Extras folder (had to password authenticate)

rebooted (it rebooted without any problems)

then I ran the DSDT Auto Patcher (found here: http://olarila.com/auto-patcher/DSDT_Auto-Patcher.zip)

Selected Dell Latitude E6510 as my system

then selected the modified dsdt.aml file that MaLd0n provided me with

and then I clicked Patch

copied my modifed DSDT file into /Extra's and rebooted.

no problems.

Tethered Internet Connection Works

I used my Android Phone paired with a Purchased copy of PDANet 2.43 for MAC Desktop/PC with Android Phone

Installed PDAnet to my mac and rebooted

installed PDANet to my Android phone

Connected my phone to the Hackintosh via usb to miniusb cable

I did get an error message stating "this device is not recognized by the computer" but I just clicked ignore

turned on my 3G WiFI connection on my Android Phone

Started PDANet on my phone

went to Settings/Applications/Development and turned on USB Debugging

Clicked on the PDA net icon in my menu bar and clicked on Connect

and opened up a Firefox broswer and I'm now on the internet.... :clap:

more info on PDANet w/ Android Phone on MAC Desktop/Laptop to be found here

http://junefabrics.com/android/mac.php

Here's for iPhone w/ MAC Desktop/Laptop

http://junefabrics.com/iphone/index.php

After all the headache the past few days, I am not upgrading to Lion 10.7 at this point. Maybe later when I feel more comfortable that I know what I'm doing.

Ok, let me make something clear so there is no confusion. Do all of the listed steps above in order. If you don't I have no idea how the system will react, and I can't vouch for what will or won't happen, so please don't take shortcuts if you want it to go as smoothly as it did for me.

If you backup as you go, it's less you have to do over if something crashes! If you follow this guide as I wrote, you should be ok. Good luck!

I have to say, if you can avoid the ridiculous hassle of starting from 10.6 and upgrading through 10.6.6 to 10.6.8 and having to upgrade, please AVOID IT AT ALL COSTS! It's a PAIN IN THE ASS! The more steps you can remove from the process, the better off you're going to be.

This was Super Easy doing a base install from 10.6.8 to a Dell Latitude E6510.

now the fun part comes in getting all the proper kexts to make things work. I'll keep this thread updated as I get things working.

For those wanting to take a crack at installing Lion on an E6510, be my guest. let me know how it goes, would love to hear what you encounter during this process.

This tutorial provided by TonyMACx86 should help you get Lion installed.

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2011/07/xmo...x-107-lion.html

xMove

http://www.tonymacx86.com/1010110101/xMove-1.0.zip

currently waiting on a DSDT file from MaLd0n (big thanks to you Maldon!)

Once installed, I will report back with the updated results as to what works and what doesn't.

If you have an E6410 or E6510 and you need a DSDT made for it

download the run_me.zip I've attached to this file

extract the zip file to the desktop of the hackintosh machine you want the DSDT to be made for

double click on Run Me and wait

the computer will automatically generate a zip file called send_me.zip

post up your specs on your laptop in the link listed below

attach the send_me.zip to your post and Maldon will send you your DSDT. be sure to say thanks for him taking his time to do this for you!

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...235523&st=0

run_me.zip

Installing Modified DSDT File

I have received my DSDT from MaLd0n

Before doing anything I made sure to do a Time Machine Backup

I deleted my DSDT.aml from my /Extras folder (had to password authenticate)

rebooted (it rebooted without any problems)

then I ran the DSDT Auto Patcher (found here: http://olarila.com/auto-patcher/DSDT_Auto-Patcher.zip)

Selected Dell Latitude E6510 as my system

then selected the modified dsdt.aml file that MaLd0n provided me with

and then I clicked Patch

copied my modifed DSDT file into /Extra's and rebooted.

no problems.

Tethered Internet Connection Works

I used my Android Phone paired with a Purchased copy of PDANet 2.43 for MAC Desktop/PC with Android Phone

Installed PDAnet to my mac and rebooted

installed PDANet to my Android phone

Connected my phone to the Hackintosh via usb to miniusb cable

I did get an error message stating "this device is not recognized by the computer" but I just clicked ignore

turned on my 3G WiFI connection on my Android Phone

Started PDANet on my phone

went to Settings/Applications/Development and turned on USB Debugging

Clicked on the PDA net icon in my menu bar and clicked on Connect

and opened up a Firefox broswer and I'm now on the internet.... :clap:

more info on PDANet w/ Android Phone on MAC Desktop/Laptop to be found here

http://junefabrics.com/android/mac.php

Here's for iPhone w/ MAC Desktop/Laptop

http://junefabrics.com/iphone/index.php

NVidia 3100M Graphics Card

Tonight was a breakthrough on the graphics card. :headbang:

I honestly don't know how big a of a breakthrough, but something is better than nothing.

It needs some tweaking by more skilled people than I, but I think it's a start on the right track!

I have tried every combination of

NVEnabler.kext

NVInject.kext

ntatit.kext

NVEnable 64.kext

removing one file, adding another, changing keys and strings to the com.boot.apple.plist file. I tried every possible combo and nothing worked.

then I stumbled across this

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=102

NVDANV50Hal.kext - One of three very important original Apple kexts required by OSx86 machines for nvidia graphics functionality. This kext provides support for 8xxx and 9xxx series nvidia cards.

the bold part specifically caught my eye. Why was a 8xxx and 9xxx nvidia kexter loading when I'm trying to get an Nvidia 3100M graphics kexter to load and recognize?

So from there I deducted that MAC OS X was in effect loading the wrong driving and kicking out the NVEnable and NVInject and natit kexts, which is why the system would kernel panic.

my deduction was confirmed when I looked at my kernel log and I saw this line.

Aug 20 00:03:33 localhost kernel[0]: NVDANV50HAL loaded and registered.

this confirmed my deduction, the NVDANV50HAL was loading and kicking all the other NVidia Kexter's out, and put the system into kernel panic, because there was too many kexters trying to tell the system what to do (or something along those lines at least).

so on a straight experimental hunch because I figured I had absolutely nothing to lose and the NVDANV50HAL was making me suspicious as to it's real purpose, here's what I did. (do a Time Machine Backup before you do this!!!!!)

From Safe Mode

I deleted

from the S/L/E folder

NVDANV40HAL.kext (make a backup of it)

NVDANV50HAL.kext (make a backup of it!)

NVEnabler_64.kext (if you have it loaded)

the only NV* kexts that should be in the System/Library/Extensions Folder are

NVEnabler.kext

NVinject.kext

Natit.kext

once they are applied with the kext program,

go to

/Extras/Extensions and delete your original com.apple.boot.plist file (make sure you make a copy of it and store it in a safe place first.

copy your modified com.apple.boot.plist to the desktop

and edit it so it looks like this

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>/Extra/mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>arch=x86_64</string>
<key>dsdt</key>
<string>/Extra/dsdt.aml</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1440x900x32</string>
<key>Default Partition</key>
<string>hd(0,2)</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>1</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>yes</string>
<key>PciRoot</key>
<string>1</string>
</dict>
</plist>

now copy this modified com.apple.boot.plist to the Extras/Extensions Folder

note: the contents of the com.apple.boot.plist may not be 100% accurate, this is just what I had at the time that all of this started working for me. So if you need to tweak and experiment, do it and see what you come up with.

now

close everything out and reboot. When you reboot, let it go as far it can. It will most likely Kernel Panic on you. if it does, reboot again, except this time when the chameleon screen comes up, hit enter for my options.

then type

-f -s -v  and hit enter

a bunch of lines of code will pop up, just let it do it's thing. when it's completely done it will give you a few lines of code, then it says if you're done to exit.

type

exit and hit enter.

now hit the down arrow key on your keyboard and watch the magic!!!

a bunch of crazy stuff will start happening, it should boot into windows, once it does click your apple icon on the top left corner, click About this MAC, then go down to Graphics/Display and verify the VRAM is correct.

Before I did this mine was showing: VRAM: 32MB

afterwards as seen in the picture it's now showing the accurate VRAM: 512MB

Now to confirm it's good, close everything, reboot, and it should boot back into Snow Leopard on it's own without any error messages or going into a kernel panic!!!!

Here's the proof in the pudding!

IMAG0718.jpg

this isn't the full on end all fix, but we're headed back in the right direction.

I tried to go to youtube.com and I couldn't watch any videos on there, I could only hear the music. I attempted to update my flash player but it said it was up to date. I cleared cache and internet files and restarted my broswer but that didn't help either.

I went to google and typed in flash games, but none of them I could see the picture on. so there's still some tweaking to do, but I'd venture to say this is might be a major break through on the NVDIA 3100M!!!!!

It will need the attention of those more qualified than I to iron the rest of it out.

ok, I have confirmed the NVIDIA 3100 is loaded and functional.

I tested the screensaver and it didn't lock up the computer or send it into a kernel panic, so that's good news. However, it was slow and a bit choppy, which tells me the bugs still need to be worked out and the kexts need to be tweaked for optimum performance.

I tested sleep, it did not work at all, however, I haven't really messed around with any of the KEXTS for that, so I may not have the proper settings for that yet.

Screenshots are still not working. I tried CMD-Shift-4 and CMD Shift-3. I can hear the camera sound when I do it, but it doesn't post a jpeg, png or tiff on the desktop, so I'm not sure if that's video/graphics card related or not.

Hoping others from the other E6410 and E6510 threads will come chime in, duplicate what I've managed to do and tweak things a bit to smooth this bad boy out and getting it working 100%.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Dell Latitude E6510 laptop that I'm trying to set up either a Dual booting Windows 7 and Lion system on or a Tri-booting Windows 7, Lion, and Ubuntu 11.04 on.

However I'm getting a bunch of problems because I have an incompatible hard drive and all the tutorials on the interwebz end up having Chameleon being the bootloader in the end. I have a Western Digital Scorpio Black WD5000BPKT 500gb hard drive in it, and I'm pretty sure this is messing with my attempts at installing Chameleon/Chimera as the main bootloader.

Whenever I get it installed, I just boot to a boot0 error. After much research, I've noticed that this is a symptom of incompatible hard drives and people say that you can use the Windows bootloader with EasyBCD to boot Chameleon and it will work. This would be fine and all, but I can't get Windows to boot period after installing Snow Leopard.

Here is what happens more less every time. (I've done this process upwards of 25 times, so everything seems to be running together now. I feel like I've tried all the options.)

INSTALLING SNOW LEOPARD

First of all, I set BIOS to AHCI mode. I boot up using one of two boot cds and Hazard 10.6.6i (See below section for more information on this) and go to the disk utility. I partition the drive to GUID and have 3 partitions. (4 if I could install Ubuntu. Which I want to) Set up in this manner:

1 - Snow Leopard 150gb HFS+ Journaled

2 - Windows 7 300 FAT32

3 - Time Machine 50 HFS+ Journaled Case Sensitive

I then proceed to install Snow Leopard on the Snow Leopard partition.

INFORMATION ON BOOT CDS

Option 1: OSx86 Mod CD E6410-

This boots and installs fine. However, when I finally get everything install and load up Snow Leopard graphics are at the lowest setting and QI/CE or whatever is not working. I can not get them working either; using any of the methods posted on the guides for the e6510 and e6410. Shutdown and reboot do work though!

Option 2: [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] 3.1.1

This kernel panics unless i boot using -x. It installs fine. I can only boot using -x and when i finally get everything booted, graphics work 100%. I have Full resolution and a transparent menu bar. I can't seem to get Audio working using the voodoohda kext on the modcd. After installing the basics with [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url], I can boot without -x. There is one bug though, no matter what I install or do, I can not get my trackpad to work. I have to use either a USB mouse of the trackstick. On top of that, the track stick is vertically inverted. Pushing up makes my cursor go down and vice versa. Shutdown and reboot also do not work. The os shuts down but not my hardware.

UPDATING/LION

After getting my kexts working, with respect to each method, I cannot update to 10.6.8. Once I do, I can no longer boot. I think it gets stuck on PCI Configuration began or whatever, but I can't quite remember. Also, DSDT's do not work either. They cause my install to crash. I can, however, update to 10.6.7. (Which is okay, because you can update to Lion with that version of Snow Leopard)

When I try to update to lion however, It says I have an incompatible processor. I figured this was because my hackintosh wasn't detecing the right processor. But it does. It recognizes my i7 and reports it as running at 1.6ghz. My laptop has an i7-620. Is there anyway around this? I'd really like to have Lion running.

-POST MAC OSX STUFF-

Okay, now that everything is working. (As far as I can go with either method at least) I begin to install Windows 7. BIOS is still in AHCI mode. I boot off the Windows 7 disk. I go to install and click on the partition i made for Windows earlier. I click format and then install. Note, this method never makes a system reserved partition. This is required to boot, correct?

The install goes fine, with no hiccups at all. At this point I reboot to finish the installation. When my computer reboots, it goes to the NO operating system found page. Nice =/

I boot off the Windows 7 cd and click on repair this computer. It says I'm using an incompatible version of Windows for this recovery console or whatever. So I press Shift+f10 and load of Command Prompt. At this tiime, I attempt to fix the mbr using bootrec. This process works and I reboot.

When my computer reboots, it POSTs fine and then goes to the part where it is supposed to load an operating system. Instead of getting the operating system missing error, I get just a blinking cursor though. I believe this is because my Bootloader is looking for a windows installation?

At this point in time, If windows worked, what i assume I would do is install Easybcd and add my Mac installation to my boot loader. How exactly would I do this? After I got them both booting, I would like to install uBuntu.

TL;DR Questions

1. How can I set up a dual booting system with the Windows bootloader instead of chameleon? (Tribooting if possible using either Grub or Windows bootloaders)
  2. How can I install the 10.6.8 Update. Is there any reason to even do this really?Why do DSDT's cause my system to crash? Is there anyway to create my own easily?
  3. Why does Lion not recognize my CPU?
  4. Why does [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] install my graphics kext on first boot but ModCD does not?
  5. Why does [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] only enable the track stick and in inverse mode?
  6. Am I partitioning correctly? Do I need the system reserved partition?
  7. Basically, Where do I go from here?

I have a Dell Latitude E6510 laptop that I'm trying to set up either a Dual booting Windows 7 and Lion system on or a Tri-booting Windows 7, Lion, and Ubuntu 11.04 on.

However I'm getting a bunch of problems because I have an incompatible hard drive and all the tutorials on the interwebz end up having Chameleon being the bootloader in the end. I have a Western Digital Scorpio Black WD5000BPKT 500gb hard drive in it, and I'm pretty sure this is messing with my attempts at installing Chameleon/Chimera as the main bootloader.

Whenever I get it installed, I just boot to a boot0 error. After much research, I've noticed that this is a symptom of incompatible hard drives and people say that you can use the Windows bootloader with EasyBCD to boot Chameleon and it will work. This would be fine and all, but I can't get Windows to boot period after installing Snow Leopard.

Here is what happens more less every time. (I've done this process upwards of 25 times, so everything seems to be running together now. I feel like I've tried all the options.)

INSTALLING SNOW LEOPARD

First of all, I set BIOS to AHCI mode. I boot up using one of two boot cds and Hazard 10.6.6i (See below section for more information on this) and go to the disk utility. I partition the drive to GUID and have 3 partitions. (4 if I could install Ubuntu. Which I want to) Set up in this manner:

1 - Snow Leopard 150gb HFS+ Journaled

2 - Windows 7 300 FAT32

3 - Time Machine 50 HFS+ Journaled Case Sensitive

I then proceed to install Snow Leopard on the Snow Leopard partition.

INFORMATION ON BOOT CDS

Option 1: OSx86 Mod CD E6410-

This boots and installs fine. However, when I finally get everything install and load up Snow Leopard graphics are at the lowest setting and QI/CE or whatever is not working. I can not get them working either; using any of the methods posted on the guides for the e6510 and e6410. Shutdown and reboot do work though!

Option 2: [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] 3.1.1

This kernel panics unless i boot using -x. It installs fine. I can only boot using -x and when i finally get everything booted, graphics work 100%. I have Full resolution and a transparent menu bar. I can't seem to get Audio working using the voodoohda kext on the modcd. After installing the basics with [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url], I can boot without -x. There is one bug though, no matter what I install or do, I can not get my trackpad to work. I have to use either a USB mouse of the trackstick. On top of that, the track stick is vertically inverted. Pushing up makes my cursor go down and vice versa. Shutdown and reboot also do not work. The os shuts down but not my hardware.

UPDATING/LION

After getting my kexts working, with respect to each method, I cannot update to 10.6.8. Once I do, I can no longer boot. I think it gets stuck on PCI Configuration began or whatever, but I can't quite remember. Also, DSDT's do not work either. They cause my install to crash. I can, however, update to 10.6.7. (Which is okay, because you can update to Lion with that version of Snow Leopard)

When I try to update to lion however, It says I have an incompatible processor. I figured this was because my hackintosh wasn't detecing the right processor. But it does. It recognizes my i7 and reports it as running at 1.6ghz. My laptop has an i7-620. Is there anyway around this? I'd really like to have Lion running.

-POST MAC OSX STUFF-

Okay, now that everything is working. (As far as I can go with either method at least) I begin to install Windows 7. BIOS is still in AHCI mode. I boot off the Windows 7 disk. I go to install and click on the partition i made for Windows earlier. I click format and then install. Note, this method never makes a system reserved partition. This is required to boot, correct?

The install goes fine, with no hiccups at all. At this point I reboot to finish the installation. When my computer reboots, it goes to the NO operating system found page. Nice =/

I boot off the Windows 7 cd and click on repair this computer. It says I'm using an incompatible version of Windows for this recovery console or whatever. So I press Shift+f10 and load of Command Prompt. At this tiime, I attempt to fix the mbr using bootrec. This process works and I reboot.

When my computer reboots, it POSTs fine and then goes to the part where it is supposed to load an operating system. Instead of getting the operating system missing error, I get just a blinking cursor though. I believe this is because my Bootloader is looking for a windows installation?

At this point in time, If windows worked, what i assume I would do is install Easybcd and add my Mac installation to my boot loader. How exactly would I do this? After I got them both booting, I would like to install uBuntu.

TL;DR Questions

1. How can I set up a dual booting system with the Windows bootloader instead of chameleon? (Tribooting if possible using either Grub or Windows bootloaders)
  2. How can I install the 10.6.8 Update. Is there any reason to even do this really?Why do DSDT's cause my system to crash? Is there anyway to create my own easily?
  3. Why does Lion not recognize my CPU?
  4. Why does [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] install my graphics kext on first boot but ModCD does not?
  5. Why does [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] only enable the track stick and in inverse mode?
  6. Am I partitioning correctly? Do I need the system reserved partition?
  7. Basically, Where do I go from here?

I now know what the problem is...

I have an advanced format hard drive. (4KB sectors)

They aren't compatible with Chameleon bootloader because the advanced format hardrive deletes the boot1h file during its auto-cleaning process.

I found a semi-workaround though. If you manually install chameleon with the terminal, and immediately cut the power after copying all the files, you can boot using chameleon 1 time. Then your hard drive auto-cleans itself.

Lol...

Hi Guys,

I've got an Dell E6510.

i had Snow leopard running before. Found the shutdown/vga fix here, unfortunately no sleep.

I do appreciate the effort by the entire community.

Anyway,

]

I got Lion running, and i think this is the place to drop the tips.

First of all; You perfect Snow Leopard DSDT will NOT work.

I suspect that the main reason for not working is either the shutdown, or the VGA fix.

I think that it's the VGA fix.

Besides that; be sure to have a DSDT with the "slow sata/ ICH" edits already in them. With them, it will/might work, but it'll be unstable at boot...

I replaced the wifi card with a broadcom, so no hassle there.

And yes, i have a Nvidia 3100 running perfect QI/CE on ONLY GraphicsEnabler.

I totally don't get the "kext needed for this Nvidia card" part.

Even got a "pretty fair" Voodookext. (Volume buttons work; mute doesn't)

I find soundflower a bit of a CPU hog, so i don't use it all the time. At least not with Logic and/or Ableton live

i must say, that back when i installed SL, i did had some issues. Unfortunately i can't exactly recall what fixed it.

But... I'm pretty sure it was the bootloader.

I wil try the shutdown/vga fix soon. Maybe this weekend.

I tried it this week, and broke the startup ----> as i was saying. One of those fixes doesn't play nice with Lion.

Besides my Dell i've got a pretty nice i7 920 @4.2 Ghz, on a raid 0 partition. I recently updated this machine to Lion too, and i must say, it's the best/most stable OSX/hackintosh yet!. I run 2 video cards GT8800 and a ATI 6770, both with gpu bios from /extra. They power 3x 30" monitors.

Took me some blood, sweat, and almost tears.... (especially the raid 0 part)

Ow, and i'm only into vanilla installs.

If anyone has questions. I'll help/answer if i can. I've been dooin

• 2 weeks later...

After many grueling months, I have a fully working hackintosh. Including wireless, QE/CI, and Audio. It has the retail card installed.

Shutdown/restart doesn't work and SD Card don't work. I don't care about either of those though. As for firewire, I don't have anything to test it with.

• 3 months later...

I got Lion installed doing a fresh install, and following the guide from TonyMACX86 on how to use [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2011/10/[url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]-install-mac-os-x-lion-using.html

To get the Installer running, you will have to use "-v npci=0x2000 PCIRootUID=0"

At first, the reboot after setup would hang at the Gray Apple Screen. I was finally able to complete the reboot process by using the following command:

-v npci=0x2000 PCIRootUID=0 GraphicsEnabler=NO

The only issues I have is that it will not see the built-in keyboard, still no wireless, no audio, and no battery indicator.