Lion Server on Apple TV (1. Generation)

f11f

4 posts in this topic

Hey!

On the way of building a low-energy server I want to recycle my old first-generation Apple TV.

It consumes in its original configuration between 25 and 28 Watt. But after installing an SSD instead, without a connected Display (somehow the GPU improves the CPU-performance) and with an Ethernet-Connection (no-WIFI) the Apple TV is around 20Watt!

Now to my question: Is it possible to install Lion OS X Server (I´m in love with this new kind of user-friendly server) on the Apple TV?

For this I need at least OS X v10.6.6 but at best v10.7 . But I´ve only found an guide for installing Leopard on the Apple TV. They use therefore iDeneb 10.5.5 .

Technical specifications:

Processor: 1 GHz Intel "Crofton" Pentium M

Graphics : Nvidia GeForce Go 7300 with 64 MB of VRAM

Connectivity: USB 2.0, infrared receiver, HDMI, component video, optical audio

Networking: Wi-Fi (802.11b/g and draft-n), 10/100 Ethernet

Best wishes

f11f

No chance. At the very least you would need a patched kernel, which won't be forthcoming anytime soon. Your other problem is that the Crofton cpu is 32bit, being based on the the Dothan, and cannot run Lion.

thanks.....

No chance. At the very least you would need a patched kernel, which won't be forthcoming anytime soon. Your other problem is that the Crofton cpu is 32bit, being based on the the Dothan, and cannot run Lion.

Not sure that quite answered the question completely. "minimum 10.6.6" ....

Although the Apple TV probably won't be able to run Lion in the near future, 10.6.6 MAY be able to be installed using the same type of kernel hack used to install Snow Leopard on Atom systems. I can't be sure of this, as I haven't played around with OS X Server, but theoretically it sounds possible. Just keep in mind that your 1GHz CPU is roughly half the performance of the lowest-end system designed to run either OS X or OS X Server. That being said, if you manage to get it running, it may be a low performer.