Apple makes OS X Lion available on USB Thumb Drive

Ed

9 posts in this topic

mac_os_x_lion_usb_drive_tfufj-300x215.jpgApple has released Mac OS X Lion as a physical product to purchase, albeit in the form of a USB thumb drive instead of a DVD as it has historically done before.

Mac OS X Lion is the first Operating System from Apple to be released initially as a download-only upgrade, but has now taken the step of making it physically available for purchase and delivery through its online Apple Store at a retail price of $69, compared to just $29 for the digital download from the Mac App Store.

The thumb drive does still require Mac OS X Snow Leopard to be installed on the host Mac, so it's safe to assume you probably can't boot from this thumb drive. It should also be noticed that you can't restore Mac OS X Lion from over the Internet if you need to later on down the line, you'll have to restore from the thumb drive.

I'd like to know what is exactly in the USB thumb drive.

If it is nothing else than the "Install Mac OS X Lion.app" which you can download from the Apple Store for $29.99, it makes sense only if you don't have access to a broadband connection.

I'd like to know what is exactly in the USB thumb drive.

If it is nothing else than the "Install Mac OS X Lion.app" which you can download from the Apple Store for $29.99, it makes sense only if you don't have access to a broadband connection.

we need someone that actual buys one of this sticks.

Apple says you need Snow to use it. ( "technically needing" or "its a licensing question" is the thing to clear ).

If only the APP is on it, nobody could use it to boot a empty-drived or pre-Snow Mac. The app is not bootable as we learned, yet the app contains a hidden DMG which again is bootable. But what would be the logic then, to buy a Apple Lion stick, only to rip out the DMG that is hidden on it and make a new USB out of that only to be able to boot ? ..

Hm.. we really need someone to inspect the content of this thing..

Would you? :P

69 is my favorite number so it's not like I could resist not buying it.

And my main guess is that it has to be bootable in some form of way for it to actually be installable on an empty drive but I'm waiting for my local  stores to get the devices in so I can confirm this so far they have they that it still has not reached in yet.

Guest lemoon

And for large-scale expansion!

It's targeted at those who don't have the broadband connection or App Store login to get the Lion installer.