[GUIDE] OS X Lion on Intel D945GCLF2 Atom 330

nozyczek

62 posts in this topic

• 3 weeks later...

nozyczek:

I followed the guide and it booted into the installer one time. I did the install but had to leave for about an hour. I came back to a gray screen. Since there was no way to reboot from that screen that I know of, I power cycled the machine. Each time I boot choosing the newly installed drive I get a gray screen at the point that Lion should init the video. Each time I boot choosing the lionUSBinstaller I now get a gray screen. I tried two other sata drives but never got to the installer welcome screen again. I have tried -x in the installer (didn't expect it to work while loading nothing) and while loading the installed drive. Always the same thing since that first good boot.

Boot into the installed drive in single user works. Towards the end of dmesg, it say it is unable to load the gma950 driver and cannot resolve libraries.

I will try rebuilding the lionUSBinstaller flash drive and try again.

any pointers?

nozyczek:

I followed the guide and it booted into the installer one time. I did the install but had to leave for about an hour. I came back to a gray screen. Since there was no way to reboot from that screen that I know of, I power cycled the machine. Each time I boot choosing the newly installed drive I get a gray screen at the point that Lion should init the video. Each time I boot choosing the lionUSBinstaller I now get a gray screen. I tried two other sata drives but never got to the installer welcome screen again. I have tried -x in the installer (didn't expect it to work while loading nothing) and while loading the installed drive. Always the same thing since that first good boot.

Boot into the installed drive in single user works. Towards the end of dmesg, it say it is unable to load the gma950 driver and cannot resolve libraries.

I will try rebuilding the lionUSBinstaller flash drive and try again.

any pointers?

I needed to ask ... is your motherboard Intel D945GCLF2 Atom 330 ?

I needed to ask ... is your motherboard Intel D945GCLF2 Atom 330 ?

Yes. there is no rev number that I can find. It had bios number 099 on it and I flashed it to 0278 using the link off of this page.

http://ark.intel.com/products/42491/Intel-...Board-D945GCLF2

It was on bios 0099 when I got it to open the install, partition and format the drive and start the install. I flashed it after the first time I got the gray screen.

I was using an apple 80g sata from an old imac but it seemed to convert to guid fine. I tried a couple of other drives after that.

Bios settings were optimal defaults with hpet enabled and boot from usb enabled.

I will try to recreate the lionUSBinstaller on another new 8g flash drive and let you know what happens. I will use a 1TB samsung f3 (partitioned in 2) also.

Any chameleon boot options to try? It seems all good except the video does not initialize.

It was running xp sp3 on an ide drive but all ide is disconnected and I am using a usb mouse and keyboard and an asus sata cd/dvd that I have used to install SL on a sandybridge I-7 box.

Since it worked once, I am willing to retrace the steps before any esoterica.

Is the video enabled by injection or by kext? I did not delve deep into the packages since my understanding of the process is limited. I have to rely on you guys who have been doing this a long time. I have been using unix and linux and bsd for many years but much of my experience was in the 80's and 90's :D

Is the video enabled by injection or by kext?

Video is enabled via DSDT injection.

Device (PEGP)
		 {
			 Name (_ADR, 0x00020000)
			 Device (GFX0)
			 {
				 Name (_ADR, Zero)
				 Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
				 {
					 Store (Package (0x06)
						 {
							 "device_type", 
							 Buffer (0x08)
							 {
								 "display"
							 }, 
							 "model", 
							 Buffer (0x07)
							 {
								 "GMA950"
							 }, 
							 "built-in", 
							 Buffer (One)
							 {
								 0x01
							 }
						 }, Local0)
					 DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
					 Return (Local0)
				 }
			 }
		 }

I received a lot of "thank you" emails regarding this guide so I think it should work for you too.

Good luck.

Video is enabled via DSDT injection

(code section deleted for reply)

I received a lot of "thank you" emails regarding this guide so I think it should work for you too.

Good luck.

This board had been abused a bit before it was donated to me. It had a 20 pin pwr supply plugged in to its 24 pin power connector and the hard drive was loose in the case :)

I will try one of the SL installs with my retail 10.6.0 disk before I give up on it. It will work as a desktop xp/ slow win7 board if nothing else.

I repair computers for free for people who cannot afford shop prices or new computers so I sometimes get stuff badly self repaired :)

Thanks for all your work on what appeared to be a very smooth installer.

Hi,

For anyone who is interested I put together a guide on how to install OS X Lion on Intel D945GCLF2 Atom 330.

The guide is located at:

http://sites.google.com/site/nozyczek

Good luck

nozyczek

You're a star!! I spent about a week trying various methods, it's only when I came across your guide that I managed a painless install of Lion on my D945GCLF2 homebrew server. Thanks!

I did the 10.7.1 update and runned the installer afterward. Everything seems to be fine.

The kernel name says it is DP4? Is this the same as release? What is the difference?

Thank you very much for this great solution! This will give my aging hardware some more time before I have to throw it out (iCloud, here I come :P

Thank you so much nozyczek! It did work perfectly with my D945GCLF (single core Atom).

Is it safe to install the 10.7.1 update?

I have the same motherboard this sounds cool. How does Lion perform with it, would it be worth upgrading to Lion? I mean its a single core 1.6 cpu after all so you can't even expect to much of it in either Leopard or Snow Leopard.

I have the same motherboard this sounds cool. How does Lion perform with it, would it be worth upgrading to Lion? I mean its a single core 1.6 cpu after all so you can't even expect to much of it in either Leopard or Snow Leopard.

I'd say, it runs as good as Snow Leopard. That means probably too slow for almost everybody. But I'm a patient guy. If the system is busy with Spotlight or Time Machine or iPhoto import or iPhone sync I leave the computer alone until CPU levels drop (and play with iPad ;)) I don't do any work with this machine besides the occasional small hobbyist website.

ok :D thanks I run mine on Kalys Leo 10.5.1 at this point maby I should let it stay that way. Was a good one Kalys 10.5.1 got lots of older hardware work pretty good with it.

Ah, the good ole days! :rolleyes: I think I also started with this distribution with this hardware. But I'm a software junkie and have to run the latest version of everything. I't quite astonishing that this low low budget solution was good for 3 generations of OS X. My girlfriend has a Macbook with core duo and she cannot upgrade.

Back to topic: I just had a kernel panic while trying to start my XP image in VMWare. This is the first kernel panic for years. Hope this isn't related to the patched kernel?

I decided to give it a go and it works on mine too. Had a spare hdd on the shelf. I did it with my Lion boot installer for my main rig though and just used the D945.....installer from this thread. So it works putting your lion boot partition on a harddrive too, just make a partition for it and one more to install to.

Thanks, Im installing it right now just a sec lol

Ok here we go rebooting cross your fingers lol

Thanks it worked this is cool :( . I never thought this was possible but then again its Intel only these days I mean with Lion so who knows it might even work better than old Kalys Leo. Thanks again

Im typing this from it :)

Hey guys -- up and running with my config including VIA PCI controller (gives me +2 SATA)

However, bonjour is not working for me. Tried both the Realtek and Lnx2 drivers -- any ideas?

UPDATE: Bonjour working after restart -- will keep testing