xCode 4.1 Crashes on Virtualised OSX Lion

13 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

This is my first post. So, hello!

I've got a problem with running xCode 4.1 using Mac OSX Lion within VMWare.

The Virtualised Machine is running a Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz with 2GB Ram.

The Crash Report returns this:

Process: Xcode [184]

Path: /Developer/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/MacOS/Xcode

Identifier: com.apple.dt.Xcode

Version: 4.1 (516)

Build Info: IDEApplication-516000000000000~18

Code Type: X86-64 (Native)

Thanks in advance

-- EDIT:

The problem has been found - xCode 4.1 must be downloaded from the AppStore on a MacOSX Build version 11A511 (The Retail version) or higher to work. More info further down

Exact same problem, here's what I've done with no avail:

Xcode from TPB, remove with Sudo, Xcode from App Store, remove with Sudo, Xcode from App Store on fresh VM, remove with Sudo, cleared cache files, Xcode from App Store.

Right now I've made a new Admin account and am installing on there.

Edit: Looks like I've got the solution! You have to uninstall Xcode, make a new administrator account, shut down, open that new account, install Xcode by going into /Applications/Install Xcode/

Should start up automatically once it's done :rolleyes:

Xcode from TPB, remove with Sudo, Xcode from App Store, remove with Sudo, Xcode from App Store on fresh VM, remove with Sudo, cleared cache files, Xcode from App Store.

Edit: Looks like I've got the solution! You have to uninstall Xcode, make a new administrator account, shut down, open that new account, install Xcode by going into /Applications/Install Xcode/

Should start up automatically once it's done ;)

I'm also experiencing this exact same problem. Unfortunately, the fix suggested still results in the same error message on launching Xcode 4.

I created a new admin account, completely uninstalled Xcode, shut down and restarted, opened the new admin account and reinstalled Xcode in the way described.

myrepospace, did you find the above fix successful, and if not have you found another solution?

Any feedback/suggestions from anybody would be greatly appreciated.

Should start up automatically once it's done :)

Also didn't work for me..

Yes, I'd love to know a solution!

Exact same problem here. Now that Xcode 4.1.1 has been released, I have also cleaned everything related to Xcode 4.1 and installed Xcode 4.1.1 but the same happens. Now I am trying the new admin account trick, will tell you if it works soon.

Other things I have tried with no luck include: deleting the two "Caches" files (/Library/Caches and /Users/YOUR_USER/Library/Caches), completely uninstalling iTunes, creating a new VMWare disk to give it 25 GB extra space, and the restoring from the original hard disk.

This is a real pain. I have spent about 5 days trying to user Xcode; first trying to make a Hackintosh with no luck in my Sony Vaio FW3, then the VMWare thing... and every test takes so much time... :(

I think we should know more about the error in order to try and solve it, the key sentence is:

ASSERTION FAILURE in /SourceCache/IDEInterfaceBuilder/IDEInterfaceBuilder-1617/Framework/Utilities/IBFoundationAdditions.m:142

Ok, the new admin account trick did not work. At least I saw something new, the Xcode icon appeared on the dock and the welcome window appeared, but it was unresponsive, and had to force quit the process. The second time I tried to run it, same error, as usual, and no welcome screen. A total {censored}.

Ok, So I found the problem - but it's not an Quick Fix..

The VMware image found in this Tutorial:

[moderator edit: link removed due to rules violation]

is actually the image of OSX Lion GM, not Lion Retail.

The xCode downloaded from that same tutorial is titled as GM, but does not work with that specific build of OSX. Maybe it did before it was updated to that build.

So I went ahead and found a retail .vdmk floating around the Internet.

I used that to make my own VMware image, fresh install.

To do so you simply Create a new Virtual Machine, Choose 2GB Ram, XXGB Hard Drive size, etc & Create the VM.

In the main screen, click Edit the configuration and add another hard-drive with the downloaded .vdmk attached.

Follow the on screen instructions to install. Make sure you use the disk utilities to format your virtual hard-drive first!

Installation took around 1 hour to install (it hangs on 5/4 minutes remaining for around 20 minutes), and another 30 mins to configure (make sure you download the VGA/Audio Drivers found here to get better resolution and audio working)

Go into the AppStore and install xCode.

xCode is free for Apple ID's linked to developer accounts, which is free too. Click here and click "Members Center" to register your apple ID as Developer

xCode took around 2 hours to download, and around 30 minutes to install. It's got a nice new installer too which kills the iTunesHelper before starting

(But you should make sure you check that iTunesHelper is killed before starting the installation using Activity monitor)

xCode should launch once finished installing and work flawlessly!

Hope this helps someone!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...