Lion Core2Duo Patcher App (with Lion FileVault support)

14 posts in this topic

Updated Patcher - compatible with more Mac's now

Due to my old method not supporting FileVault and the hassles some have had due to different Lion builds I've written a little app to take the stress out of installing Lion on a machine upgraded to a Core2Duo.

Step 1 - Patching the Installer

Run the patcher and select the 'Install Mac OS X Lion' app downloaded from the app store (works with any Lion build from DP4 onwards).

Step 2 - Installing Lion

Then run the Lion Installer from within Snow Leopard. After rebooting and loading the 2nd stage installer it will give you a warning about your system not being a supported mac…. Just click 'OK' and install to your chosen HDD/partition.

Step 3 - Making Lion bootable

Boot your machine with any OSX Install Disc or previous version of MacOS on any partition/external drive). Open terminal and delete the following file:-

"/Volumes/'name of your new lion partition'/System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist"

Step 4 - Making the Recovery Partition bootable

Mounting the recovery partition. In the terminal type 'distil list' and make a note of the 'Apple_Boot Recovery HD' partition number and the disk it's on (it will usually be partition 3 on disk 0). Then run the following command 'distil mount /dev/disk0s3' (obviously using your disk and recovery partition numbers!) Then in the terminal type 'sudo rm -rf /Volumes/Recovery\ HD/PlatformSupport.plist'

Now you can boot Lion and also use the Lion Recovery partition ;)

Enjoy :D

Thingi

Core2Duo_Lion_Patcher_v1.2.zip

• Thanks 1

I'm not sure what I'm missing. I run the patcher on the 'Install Mac OS X Lion' app, the patcher reports that the app has been patched, but when I try to run the app under Snow Leopard it still says "This version of Mac OS 10.7 cannot be installed on this computer"

I'm not sure what I'm missing. I run the patcher on the 'Install Mac OS X Lion' app, the patcher reports that the app has been patched, but when I try to run the app under Snow Leopard it still says "This version of Mac OS 10.7 cannot be installed on this computer"

I've sent you a PM - will look into the issue and get back to you - I suspect it's a build number issue.

Thingi

Hi guys, i've installed Lion making an usb bootable version of Mac OS X Base System (from Lion dmg).

After installation i've only one partition with the OS (there is not the recovery partition).

My target is to enable filevault2, it is possible? If a Recovery partition is required, can i make it? (without reinstalling the OS...)

Any help is appreciated, excuse my english :)

Hi guys, i've installed Lion making an usb bootable version of Mac OS X Base System (from Lion dmg).

After installation i've only one partition with the OS (there is not the recovery partition).

My target is to enable filevault2, it is possible? If a Recovery partition is required, can i make it? (without reinstalling the OS...)

Any help is appreciated, excuse my english :)

Simple answer = 'No' :D Complicated answer = 'Yes' (probably) :)

After running the app in this thread against your Lion Installer downloaded from the App Store you can run an upgrade on your current Lion installation.

This will actually perform an upgrade from Lion-to-Lion but strange things happened - I didn't get a recovery partition but the actual upgrade left Lion in a good state after it had completed.

After running the App you could in theory install Lion to an external drive, unhide the recovery partition and back it up to a dmg via something like 'super duper'. You could then repartition your Lion drive and add a partition of at least 500mb and then restore the super duper image to it.

You'd probably need to change the partition type of the recovery partition via the command line (terminal).

This is all theory though, I've not actually done it - I just bit the bullet and re-installed Lion with my App on a blank internal drive.

thingi

but with the recovery partition enabled it's possible to use FileVault correctly? (what to do with chamaleon?)

I'm able to do the procedure of the main post without passing from snow leopard? (in this case with the usb partition maked from the installer app)

but with the recovery partition enabled it's possible to use FileVault correctly? (what to do with chamaleon?)

I'm able to do the procedure of the main post without passing from snow leopard? (in this case with the usb partition maked from the installer app)

This part of the forums is for real macs not hackintoshes.......Having said that I can enlighten you on some stuff to help you on your way to getting FileVault2 to work.

What I can tell you is that even though FileVault2 claims to be 'complete disk' encryption this is actually untrue! Technically it's complete 'partition' encryption instead (the efi & recovery partitions are NOT encrypted).

Once FileVault2 has been enabled on startup my mac boots the FileVault Login Screen from the recovery partition. This looks just like the normal Lion login screen but it comes up prior to booting rather than afterwards. The file vault GUI then unlocks the Lion partition and allow the system to continue booting into Lion.

I suggest you post any further questions regarding hackintosh filevault2 usage in the appropriate forum - a competent hackintosh user can hopefully give you a better answer since I don't know if it's even possible to use FileVault2 via Chameleon (it doesn't look like a huge amount of work would be required to get it to work though).

thingi

• 2 weeks later...

I'd love to try this. But my upgraded Mini 1,1 is my only computer. Is there any way to download Lion from the App Store (during a system check it says that Lion cannot be installed on this computer and quits). Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm planning to upgrade my iMac 17" (Early 2006) with a T7600 Core 2 Duo processor and an SSD. Is there a way for me to perform a clean Lion installation (w/o using the Target Disk Mode + compatible mac technique)? Will I have to install Snow Leopard first?

Many thanks!

• 4 months later...

Hi,

I have successfully followed the procedure here, but I have a few observations that might help.

1) In the post, you mention "distil", when I believe it should be "diskutil". Damn, it could be autocorrect, it just did it to me now!!

2) Applying 10.7.3 did stop my mini from booting. I got sweaty as I would just get the Forbidden sign (??), the circle with a bar through it. Eventually I went into Single User mode and I saw the message about unsupported platform. Booting in again with my 10.6 CD and removing the PlatformSupport.plist did the trick fortunately. I would be great if we could lock that file somehow.

3) The last point about making the Recovery partition work doesn't match my experience. I get a "com.apple.recovery.boot" folder first. But then again I have never tried my Recovery partition and it does look suspiciously thin on files. Could it be that 10.7.3 has changed the structure? Can anybody confirm?

Thanks!