CPU temps and fan readings incorrect on 10.6.7

AdnanB

5 posts in this topic

Hey all!

Have a compaq sr5350f with Intel Intel® 945GC Express Chipset running 10.6.7 snow leopard,motherboard is an ASUS IPILP-LC (HP/Compaq name: Lancaster8-GL6). Graphics working, sound working, ethernet working. Only problem is the cpu temps are not being reported correctly and fan not detected at all.

It's fakesmc.kext that tells the OS this info, right? Or are there other kexts for this?

Thanks.

The FakeSMC.kext on its own serves a different purpose (emulates SMC). The job of displaying temps, fan speed, etc... is done by plugins it has inside (in older versions) or used with it (in newer version plugins may be placed outside FakeSMC.kext but in the same /E/E folder).

Older versions (the one with embedded plugins) of FakeSMC.kext used to display more accurate values on my HP notebook. While the newer version gives incorrect values (about 20c less then actual temps are) for CPU temps. I suspect the appropriate plugin is not reporting/reading temps correctly.

Different set of plugins might provide different set of information. Be sure to use only the one you really need. If you have Windows installed (Windows Live CD might also work), use HWMonitor application to see what sensors are available on your PC and chose plugins accordingly.

The FakeSMC.kext on its own serves a different purpose (emulates SMC). The job of displaying temps, fan speed, etc... is done by plugins it has inside (in older versions) or used with it (in newer version plugins may be placed outside FakeSMC.kext but in the same /E/E folder).

Older versions (the one with embedded plugins) of FakeSMC.kext used to display more accurate values on my HP notebook. While the newer version gives incorrect values (about 20c more then actual temps are) for CPU temps. I suspect the appropriate plugin is not reporting/reading temps correctly.

Different set of plugins might provide different set of information. Be sure to use only the one you really need. If you have Windows installed (Windows Live CD might also work), use HWMonitor application to see what sensors are available on your PC and chose plugins accordingly.

I've attached a screenshot

Which plugin should I get and how do you install the plugins?

post-534065-1311028142_thumb.png

IntelCPUMonitor.kext for CPU temps

Not sure about other plugins...

FakeSMC_SL.zip the latest (ATM) FakeSMC.kext with plugins. Some of them might be useful for your system.

Did that. Worked like a charm. Temps reported actually. Still can't detect fan but I can live with that!