Got Dual Graphics Cards Working on Lion

johnny1234boy

5 posts in this topic

Got triple monitor working with dual video cards (GT240 and 9400GT) on my Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 boards

Got it working following this:

http://aquamac.proboards.com/index.cgi?act...=569&page=1

This solution worked on my Gigabyte EP45 in the past as well until 10.6.8 where it stopped working. See my notes below.

I thought I share this, since I spend several days trying to get this working on Lion.

This same solution works on Lion with a minor setting change in the BIOS.

I had Gigabyte EP45 board that I've ran triple monitor setup for a year until 10.6.7. When I updated to 10.6.8, it stopped working (during the boot it gets stuck at PCI something rather error message). I was able to get around that by setting the default video card to boot from PEG1 rather than PEG 2. (Note, for Gigabyte MB, you had to set it to PEG2 in the BIOS to make this work in the past. For me, that changed since 10.6.8.)

You have to do the samething with the Lion. Follow the steps in this guide, but leave the option to PEG1 in the BIOS. In my case, I have Gigabyte Z68 MB for Lion, and it is now called PCIe16 or PCIe8, and I've set it at PCIe16, and it would boot with triple monitor, but it would get stuck during boot if I set it at PCIe8.

Don't forget to disable the Graphics Enabler in the .plist file.

Read more: http://aquamac.proboards.com/index.cgi?act...5#ixzz1RmFLtJqE

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys

i've been trying to get my two graphic cards to work with Mac OSX Lion but with no luck. I tried to add the cards in the DSDT file with the instruction of the tonymac's blog post and some other topics on here. maybe someone can have a look at my DSDT file and compare it with the screen shots if it's more or less right! When i checked with IORegistryExplorer then i saw that the card was on P0P3... that was on both cards. just don't know if PEG1 or PEG2 is the right thing for my mobo!!!!

The specs are:

ASUS P7P55 WS Supercomputer (BIOS v. 1303)

Intel Core i7 860 2.93GHz

RAM: 4x2GB Kingston

GFX 1: MSI GTX-460 1GB

GFX 2: Gainward GTX-460 768MB

This DSDT file i have already edited for the 2 gfx cards but doesn't work. the regular one looks the some just without the PEG1 and PEG2

My_DSDT-File-with-2GFXs

This should be my primary gfx...

i also got this string from gfxutil: DevicePath = PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x3,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

MSIGTX460-Specs-1.png

This should be my secondary gfx....

i also got this string from gfxutil: DevicePath = PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x3,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

GainwardGTX460-specs-1.png

Cheers red!

Hi guys

i've been trying to get my two graphic cards to work with Mac OSX Lion but with no luck. I tried to add the cards in the DSDT file with the instruction of the tonymac's blog post and some other topics on here. maybe someone can have a look at my DSDT file and compare it with the screen shots if it's more or less right! When i checked with IORegistryExplorer then i saw that the card was on P0P3... that was on both cards. just don't know if PEG1 or PEG2 is the right thing for my mobo!!!!

The specs are:

ASUS P7P55 WS Supercomputer (BIOS v. 1303)

Intel Core i7 860 2.93GHz

RAM: 4x2GB Kingston

GFX 1: MSI GTX-460 1GB

GFX 2: Gainward GTX-460 768MB

This DSDT file i have already edited for the 2 gfx cards but doesn't work. the regular one looks the some just without the PEG1 and PEG2

My_DSDT-File-with-2GFXs

This should be my primary gfx...

i also got this string from gfxutil: DevicePath = PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x3,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

MSIGTX460-Specs-1.png

This should be my secondary gfx....

i also got this string from gfxutil: DevicePath = PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x3,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

GainwardGTX460-specs-1.png

Cheers red!

Download my DSDT from the post i was writing in before. You should be able to cut and paste my video card information into yours, the only thing you will need to change is the card locations. I grabbed mine from windows 7 , device manager, card properties, location paths

edit locations accordingly for each card. Im not on my computer at the moment to take a close look at your dsdt, but make sure that you have the memory sizes correct for each card, might be a little more of a challenge since each card is different.... so take your time working with one card at a time.....

doing it with my windows method to grab the information made it a hell of a lot easier, since i was able to grab the locations for each card without removing them and going back and forth. I edited my dsdt accordingly from another hackintosh... have 3 :D

• 2 months later...

Hey Thank you for showing how to use 2 Graphic cards!

But i have a Problem with it: i can not Shut down my Machine! The fans simply continue to run...

I'm using a GTX260 and a 9800GT. i followed the desctription on the link in the first post. i Worked on the first try!

But i lost the ability to shutdown my machine!

Has anyone an Idea whats wrong there?

Any hint would be soooo great!

Thanks!

post-302268-1318519936_thumb.png

post-302268-1318519945_thumb.png