[Guide] Lion on GA-EP45-UD3R - very close to perfection

Squirrelf

304 posts in this topic

INSTALL GUIDE FOR LION

===========================================

UPDATES

• February 3, 2012 (Happy New Year)
    -Software update to 10.7.2 or 10.7.3 needs a newer boot before the update if updating from 10.7.1 or 10.7.0 with older boot file posted previously (New boot files available below), AppleHDA may need to be re-replaced in S/L/E.
    -Software update to 10.7.3 from 10.7.2 Should be a simple strait forward update (AppleHDA may need to be re-replaced in S/L/E).
    -NEW extra folder, new boot.plist (backup the content of your previous one, and just replace over with the content of the new one) .
    -NEW chameleon, (installer version)
    -WOL from sleep now works, darkwake option in boot.plist, must be with new chameleon also included below
    -MBR OSinstall for for 10.7.3 installer added
  • September 18, 2011
    Software update to 10.7.1, then re-replace AppleHDA in SLE with the one from pack (same 10.7), and run kext utility. All Kext are the same as in 10.7.
  • July 23, 2011
    updated chameleon (should fix post hang with previous chameleon 1083 and usb drive)
  • July 17, 2011
    new EXTRA folder (removed sleepenabler, not needed) (removed NullCPUPowerManagement not needed with my boot.plist) (latest version of FakeSMC), Extended version of the extra folder contains kext with blue label to get temperature of CPU, MOTHERBOARD, and GPU)
  • July 11, 2011
    Updated guide, new EXTRA folder (updated dsdt, and different network kext), simply replace the Extra folder

• July 10, 2011
    Guide is out...

WHAT WORKS (everything most people want is working)

• Graphic Support
  • Sounds (in&out)
  • Ethernet (DHCP works perfect)
    (manual ip works but will bring little DNS issues after sleep, just a temporary DNS problem)
  • Bonjour (DHCP works perfect)
    (manual ip works but Bonjour will temporarily not work after sleep, just a temporary DNS problem)
  • Sleep & Wake ("forced" sleep only, not timed computer sleep from energy saver)
  • Reboot & Shutdown (without cmos reset)
  • Screen calibration (wasn't working in Snow leo for me)
  • Power button (configurable in pref panel, energy saver)
  • Wake on Lan from sleep (one way to test it is using remote app on iphone/ipod/ipad which will wake your computer from sleep, or any wol software)

WHAT NEEDS TWEAKING (this is perfectionism)

• IDE HDD, works very well, UNLESS you use sleep (it get's unmounted soon after waking up)
    was true in 10.7.2, I don't know if it still is, I gave up on IDE, I now only have Sata
  • Manual IP after sleep, DNS problem, takes a few seconds to a few minutes to work again without taking any action, I suspect mDNSResponder or mDNSResponderHelper to be the cause
    (QUICK FIX: USE DHCP IP OR DON'T SLEEP YOUR MACHINE OR command "sudo killall mDNSResponder")
    was true in 10.7.0, I don't know if it still is '

• Timed computer sleep (from energy saver preferences) will not work, screen goes black, but machine is still fully running it seems (accessible over network), but does not crash it which is good
    (QUICK FIX: SET TO 'NEVER SLEEP' IN ENERGY SAVER)
    '

'

INSTALL GUIDE

STEP 1 - BEFORE ANYTHING:

(YOU MUST HAVE ACCESS TO A MAC OS SYSTEM TO FOLLOW THIS TUTORIAL)

1. (optional) Make a time machine backup of your current system, for two reasons
    - to go back to it quickly if needed
    - to use the migration assistant to get your files, history and apps back...
    '

2. Same bios setting as snow leopard, those are bare minimum
    - SATA RAID/AHCI Mode ---> AHCI
    - Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode ---> AHCI
    - keyboard USB Support ---> enabled (or keyboard may not work in chameleon screen)
    - HPET ---> 64bit
    '

3. List of needed downloads: (Same for 10.7 up to 10.7.3)
    Chameleon v2.1 r1770.pkg.zip - v2.1 r1770 (updated)
    EXTRA: (blue label files in extra/extensions are optional, just for monitoring temperature and fan, I keep AppleHDA in it, even though a copy must be in S/L/E, won't hurt to keep a copy in E/E )
    Extra_EP45_UD3R_ 10.7.3.zip (updated)

Only needed if you have trouble with sound or bonjour, otherwise skip this download
    sound_and_bonjour.zip
    GUID:
    OSInstall.zip
    MBR 10.7.0 installer(maybe 10.7.1 and 10.7.2):
    OSinstall_MBR.zip
    MBR 10.7.3 installer:
    10.7.3 MBR Patch.zip

DOWNLOADS FOR OTHER SIMILAR BOARDS, CHECK SECOND POST BELOW
    '

4. List of needed and optional utilities
    Kext_Utility.app.v2.5.0b.Lion.ready.zip
    ShowAllFiles.zip

STEP 2 - CREATING A BOOTABLE INSTALL DRIVE

1. In Disk Utility format you Install Disk with Mac Os Extended (Journaled),
    -- GUID partition table -- 6GB minimum -- any name as it will change later --
    -- MBR works too, just use the correct OSInstall.mpkg --
    (this must be the first partition of your disk if you have multiple partition)
    (can be USB or internal, can be Flash drive or HDD)
    '

2. Mount InstallESD.dmg, you'll see "Mac OS X Install ESD"
    (You will find it under "Install Mac OS X Lion.app/Contents/SharedSupport")
    '

3. Run ShowAllFiles.app to show hidden files, in "Mac OS X Install ESD" (the mounted InstallESD) you will find a hidden BaseSystem.dmg, double click it to mount it (you'll see "Mac OS X Base System")
    '

4. Back in Disk Utility, go to the restore tab
    - drag BaseSystem.dmg (or "Mac OS X Base System") to Source
    - drag the USB Install Drive partition to Destination
    - click on the Restore button & wait ...
    - the partition is now renamed "Mac OS X Base System"
    '

5. You now have two "Mac OS X Base System" in your list of mounted drive in Finder
    - Eject the original one to avoid confusion (the icon should be different though)
    '

6. Go to "Mac OS X Install ESD" (have hidden file visible with ShowAllFiles.app)
    - drag mach_kernel to "Mac OS X Base System" (your install drive)
    '

7. Go to your "Mac OS X Base System" (your install drive)
    - Navigate to System/Installation and delete the Packages link
    - keep the window open
    '

8. In a second window go to the mounted "Mac OS X Install ESD"
    - drag and copy the Packages folder to the System/Installation in the Mac OS X Base System (your install drive) and wait ... (it's over 3GB)
    '

9. Install Chameleon rc5 on the USB Install Disk (be sure to select "Change Install location")
    '

10. Copy my extra folder my Extra folder to the root of the Mac OS X Base System (your install drive) (if an Extra folder already exists replace it)
    - the install disk won't be as universal, but will work better on our board
    '

11. GUID partition table:
    - drag and replace "OSInstall.mpkg" into the folder "System/Installation/Packages "
    MBR partition table: use MBR version provided -- there are two files
    - drag and replace "OSInstall.mpkg" into the folder System/Installation/Packages
    - drag and replace "OSInstall" into "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Frameworks/OSInstall.framework/Versions/A/"
    '

STEP 2 - INSTALL LION

1. Use the F12 key to boot on the Install USB disk
    '

2. Install Lion
    '

STEP 3 - FINAL TOUCHES

1. Use the F12 key to boot on the Install USB disk, then in chameleon select the freshly installed Lion
    '

2. Go to Network in System Preferences, activate Ethernet
    '

3. Install chameleon again, but this time on the freshly installed Lion
    '

4. Copy my extra folder my Extra folder to the root of the installed Lion drive (if an Extra folder already exists replace it)

5. If your card does support graphic enabler your almost done and skip this step
    If not then use an EFI string in boot.plist or find an alternative solution (and remove the graphicenabler line in boot.plist)
    '

6. Run Kext Utility (the one provided is made for lion)
    '

STEP 3 - Reboot and Enjoy

1. Reboot
    '

2. Go to Network in System Preferences, activate Ethernet (if not already done)
    '

3. Go to Sound in System Preferences, select the right input / output
    '

4. Enjoy
    '

Extra - Troubleshooting

1. If things are very wrong, run kext utility (after modding S/L/E it's a must)

2. If sound does not work at all: ( use sound and bonjour.zip in the download section above)
    - follow the instruction for ALC885_889a_LION
    (the resulting kext is already in the Extra folder download, I left it only if the file has to be repatched for futur version of OSX, so far no repatching needed at least up to 10.7.3)

3. if bonjour doesn't work well:( use sound and bonjour.zip in the download section above)
    - follow the instruction for bonjour (either using the installer if it works, or doing it manually, explained carefully in the readme doc)
    '

4. If things are still very wrong, or if you have a different but similar motherboard create your own DSDT using DSDT Auto-Patcher, latest version HERE
    '

5. If things are still very wrong, post your problem here
    '

THANKS TO THE COMMUNITY, AND EVERYONE INVOLVED

A THANK YOU IS ALWAYS APPRECIATED :P

and/or a SMALL DONATION HERE (through paypal)

I will be very appreciative of it, and it will help enormously for the time spent to gather the information and test as much as I can and deliver the information to you in the most friendly manner.

• Like 4

FILES FOR SIMILAR BUT DIFFERENT BOARD:

• EP-45T-UD3L - (ALC888) - thanks to SunLizard
    EP45T_UD3L_LionFiles.zip
  • or use [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], it's has an interesting collection of kext

==========================================

Kext explanation, useful for later updates:

FakeSMC - must have

AHCIPortInjector - not needed

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector - needed for cosmetic, not having internal yellow icon

NullCPUPowerManagement - not needed, but only with correct lines in boot.plist

JMicronATA - IDE support, works well, it's a version for Snow Leo, but works great in Lion

RealtekR1000SL - network support, Wake on Lan disabled

(EFI string fix did not work...)

SleepEnabler - not needed

AppleRTC - to avoid the cmos reset after using sleep/wake

I used the one in S/L/E copied it and modified it, to keep the one in S/L/E original.

tried it in Extra and it worked

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x75\x30\x44\x89\xf8|\xeb\x30\x44\x89\xf8|;  s|\x75\x3d\x8b\x75\x08|\xeb\x3d\x8b\x75\x08|'  /System/Library/Extensions/AppleRTC.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleRTC

(of course I changed the path of the AppleRTC since I modified a copy of it)

original info from:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1712063

ALC885_889a - (goes along with AppleHDA mod)

works form EXTRA folder so I decided not to have it in S/L/E

info came from http://www.insanelym...howtopic=140941

AppleHDA - doesn't hurt to have it here, if you followed instruction, you should have modified the one in S/L/E, it may need patching after each update... (use the sound_and_bonjour.zip found in the above post)

(it is useless in Extra, but you never know may get useful for later updates as file to put in S/L/E, so you can delete it for now if you wish)

info came from http://www.insanelym...howtopic=140941

• Like 1

Great guide! Everything is working except for audio. Still no output devices, but in system report it's labeled as Audio ID: 885. Would I run the same terminal commands in the Readme? I'll continue to test.

Thanks for your hard work!

John

Great guide! Everything is working except for audio. Still no output devices, but in system report it's labeled as Audio ID: 885. Would I run the same terminal commands in the Readme? I'll continue to test.

Thanks for your hard work!

John

Thanks, and you are very welcome !

don't forget to reboot...

system report also show 885 for me too, but works great

just be sure to edit the AppleHDA in S/L/E with provided command and files (both layout885 and Platforms needs to be added by using the included command line) and keep it there, alternatively you can replace the one in Extra with the one in S/L/E and run kextutility for lion (google it) to repair permission and cache, it's the one I patched myself from the original AppleHDA in Lion GM

or try deleting the AppleHDA in Extra, maybe for some reason there is a conflict (not on my computer though)

if still doesn't work, copy ALC885_889a.kext into S/L/E and run kextutility...

(but mine runs well form EXTRA, I like to keep S/L/E as clean as possible)

and reboot!

you used the provided DSDT right ?

have you tried shutdown ?

Shutdown actually doesn't work for me, (black screen and fan still spinning, must force shutdown by holding powerbutton)

try this new DSDT I edited, put in in EXTRA and reboot, then try shutting it down, it should work

I will update the files above in the guide right away

dsdt.aml.zip

I also added the power button functionality, now by default it should sleep the computer, in energy saver you can change that

I have almost the same rig:

gigabyte P45-UD3L

8gb RAM

6HDDs filled in 6 SATA port to make sure they all work out , 1 is SSD to make boot time faster.

radeon 5870

Soundblaster WoW wireless headset ( work perfectly since it's USB base )

Apple mouse and keyboard

Ethernet work great with DHCP using RealtekR1000SL.kext

Never have a problem with sleep.

I think the main reason I have such stable system is having a good DSDT patch from DSDT auto patcher ( you can search in the forum )

ScreenShot2011-07-10at15832PM.png

Great Eliade ;P. Thanks for the guide. I'll be following it at some point this week when I have some time. I generally run SL in MBR on a second partition (first being win server) of an SSD. Hopefully Lion is as easy to install on MBR as SL.

Thanks again...

I generally run SL in MBR on a second partition (first being win server) of an SSD. Hopefully Lion is as easy to install on MBR as SL

For MBR install:

Instead of the OSinstall.mkpg provided in the guide

use this one instead, there seems to be two files to replace.

Of course don't replace the whole system folder, just the two files individually in their respective folders...

Let me know how it goes !

If it works I'll add it to the guide !

OSinstall_mkpg_MBR.zip

Credit goes to nawcom

Will this method work on a Ep45-UD3R with Cartri modified bios (v 0.8)?

Was there anything special about installing Snow Leopard with that bios (i.e. a special Kext because of that modded bios)... I actually never tried it...

If snow leopard was a rather normal install, it should work with Lion too...

Let me know how it goes...

GUIDE UPDATED, EVERYTHING IS CONTAINED, NO NEED TO BROWSE OTHER PAGES... ALL FILES ARE AVAILABLE HERE

I hope we can mount the .DMG provided for Mac OS X Lion! Not sure how it will play out.

Also I'm thinking of buying this 40$ G5 case and doing what many have done, which is fit the motherboard inside. :)

why would you think we can't mount the DMG, I'm sure it will be very similar to GM, either an .app or an .app within a DMG.

as soon as it wants to start installing it (if it starts it automatically) it will just give an error (like right now if you run the .app in SnowLeo), but the files will be available somewhere on the computer, I'm not sure where the AppStore app puts them but I'm sure it's easy access.

I was thinking of doing that with a G5 or macpro case in the past, but all too expensive, so I ended up buying a normal case, $40 is an amazing price. that should be a fun project, but definitely not going to be as strait forward as a regular PC case... that's what makes it fun right ? :wacko:

I was thinking of doing that with a G5 or macpro case in the past, but all too expensive, so I ended up buying a normal case, $40 is an amazing price. that should be a fun project, but definitely not going to be as strait forward as a regular PC case... that's what makes it fun right ? :wacko:

Definitely! Sounds like a useful thing to spend my summertime doing. :)

And yea we should just be able to locate where the App store is saving the file.

Was there anything special about installing Snow Leopard with that bios (i.e. a special Kext because of that modded bios)... I actually never tried it...

If snow leopard was a rather normal install, it should work with Lion too...

Let me know how it goes...

I'll try when Apple will release the final version of Lion!

Also running lion GM on this board with the following kexts schermafbeelding2011071.png

The only problem im facing is, the login screen after sleep and missing the auto sleep

My mac is identified as Mac Pro but a line under this definition is says iMac summer 2001 and the serial number SOMESRLNMBR, does somebody know how to fix this ?

Also running lion GM on this board with the following kexts

The only problem im facing is, the login screen after sleep and missing the auto sleep

My mac is identified as Mac Pro but a line under this definition is says iMac summer 2001 and the serial number SOMESRLNMBR, does somebody know how to fix this ?

Did you use my Extra folder as a base?? get my smbios.plist !!!

with my q6600, it is recognized as a macpro, early 2008 (I used the appropriate smbios)

on my other ud3r, I have a e5200 and I get Macpro too

post-309790-1310602592_thumb.png

post-309790-1310602625_thumb.png

:hysterical:

Do you not have a dns resolution issue after sleep when in manual IP ?

and what do you mean by login screen after sleep ?

Did you use my Extra folder as a base?? get my smbios.plist !!!

This is how my extra folder looks like:

My Extra folder

For my audio i replaced the appleHDA.kext in s/l/e with the with the 10.6.8 appleHDA.kext, than got the Ethernet working by using this installer:

RealtekRTL81xx-0_0_67%2B.pkg

Than i inject the ethernet efi in my com.apple.boot.plist so that the app-store works

I also replaced the AppleRTC.kext with the 10.6.8 AppleRTC.kext in s/l/e

About my mac info:

post-495665-1310660169_thumb.png

post-495665-1310660178_thumb.png

Everything works perfect for me, only thing is the auto sleep and the annoying login screen that pops up every time it wakes up after a sleep. And that is says iMac in the second line summer 2011 and the SOMESRLNMBR

EDIT:

Fixed the identification, the smbios file was linked wrong in my com.apple.boot.plist, now it works

Do you think this guide would work on a GA-EP45-DS4?

Thanks

besides the dsdt it should work for you since you have the same audio and ethernet

if you had a dsdt in Snow Leopard use the same one. otherwise make one using dsdtpatcher ... http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=235523

and then if you have still have issues let me know