Mac on Toshiba R835

10 posts in this topic

Hello everyone.

I am going to ask about is "Toshiba R835" can install mac or not.

basically i think the hardware is ok to install...but I dont want to be risky.

Since I havnt buy the laptop yet.

If it can install mac,then I am going to buy it instead of a Macbook AIR ( no back to school in my country T_T)...

Thx for help

Spec:

Intel® Core™ i5-2410M

Mobile Intel® HD Graphics

Intel® Wi-Fi® Wireless networking (802.11b/g/n + WiDi Capable)

Details:

http://us.toshiba.com/computers/laptops/po.../R830/R835-P56X

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
anyone tried on this one already? The price, weight seem pretty good. If it's possible to install hackintosh on this computer i would definitely buy it!

everything seems good, but the video, though recently appeared several ways of making it work on mac.

but this video is the reason noone comments - most people buy unrisky configurations.

i am currenly fighting with this intel hd video, if i won it on my dell v130, i'll buy this toshiba too ;)

I have the Toshiba R835-P56X.

I can confirm that it does work as a hackint0sh. It takes a lot of hacking though.

I had to bin hack the Graphics Driver to make it detect the internal LVDS panel, 1366x768. QE/CI fully working, resolution change, as well as brightness controls (with the sun icon as you change brightness). Use fn-f12 and pause to decrease/increase brightness.

Video works in both 10.6.8 and Lion GM 10.7

Audio works with AppleAzalia (no microphone), and a hacked version of Audieee. I'm sure VoodooHDA would work, as will AppleHDA after a bit of hacking. I just haven't got around to it yet.

Wired network does work with an 82688 kext which I got somewhere (can't remember now).

Wifi works after putting in a Dell wifi card (the BIOS does not whitelist as far as I can tell).

Trackpad also works with VoodooPS2, but the glitch I found was tap-drag is broken. You have to disable tap-drag, but tap to click is fine. Also works is two finger scrolling.

AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement can work, after a bit of binary hacking, gets you about 8-9 hours idle on battery with min brightness, and wifi on, according to the battery meter estimate.

DVD burner works fine, but 'falls asleep' after a few minutes idle. This means you can't eject tray with the button, but using the Menu eject widget or F12 does 'wake' it up again.

I've burned a couple of DVDs and watched a few.

There is no bluetooth, and what's worse, I can't get the internal mini-pcie slot working for a Dell Bluetooth card I have. I took the whole motherboard apart to trace the USB lines, but got nowhere. May try again.

My idea was using the single slot, but soldering wires to the Dell bluetooth card and hooking up the BTCOEXIST lines to the Dell Wifi for concurrent BT/Wifi. No go, so far.

USB 3.0 drivers install, but it doesn't work. I have also hacked the AppleSDXC driver, but it doesn't work either. Inserting a SD card causes the LEDs to flash on the trackpad, but the card doesn't read/mount.

I do get occasional 'stutters'. I've never had that on any other hackint0sh. I don't know if it's the machine, or the hacked graphics drivers. Every now and then (seemingly randomly) the mouse will 'freeze' for half a second or so. Audio seems to keep playing, as does video, but the mouse cursor freezes, and then catches up again. I don't know why, but I'll bet it's the BIOS. It does seem to occur more in SL 10.6.8 than Lion.

It could even be my outdated DSDT which I put in before swapping the wifi card. IDK.

All in all, a great hackint0sh. Terrible speakers, but great otherwise.

Alex

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

I have a Toshiba R840-117, quite similar to the R835. Can you upload the modified DSDT and Voodos PS2 controllers that work for the trackpad?

Did you have any trouble with the sleep feature? I'm still unable to put my computer to sleep

Thanks in advance,

Tachyon

• 3 weeks later...

Alex,

Can you please detail the "bin hack" you used to get LVDS working? I have Lion running very well, but it only outputs through HDMI (maybe VGA too, but I haven't tried).

I read a post concerning editing connectors in AppleIntelSNBGraphics.kext. I was able to reorder the connectors list and tried putting LVDS first, but was unsuccessful. If I can get LVDS working then I'll definitely swap the Wi-Fi card out with a Dell model.

I'm not currently using a modified DSDT.

Thanks in advance.

I can confirm that it does work as a hackint0sh. It takes a lot of hacking though.

I had to bin hack the Graphics Driver to make it detect the internal LVDS panel, 1366x768. QE/CI fully working, resolution change, as well as brightness controls (with the sun icon as you change brightness). Use fn-f12 and pause to decrease/increase brightness.

Audio works with AppleAzalia (no microphone), and a hacked version of Audieee. I'm sure VoodooHDA would work, as will AppleHDA after a bit of hacking. I just haven't got around to it yet.

Wired network does work with an 82688 kext which I got somewhere (can't remember now).

Wifi works after putting in a Dell wifi card (the BIOS does not whitelist as far as I can tell).

Trackpad also works with VoodooPS2, but the glitch I found was tap-drag is broken. You have to disable tap-drag, but tap to click is fine. Also works is two finger scrolling.

AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement can work, after a bit of binary hacking, gets you about 8-9 hours idle on battery with min brightness, and wifi on, according to the battery meter estimate.

DVD burner works fine, but 'falls asleep' after a few minutes idle. This means you can't eject tray with the button, but using the Menu eject widget or F12 does 'wake' it up again.

There is no bluetooth, and what's worse, I can't get the internal mini-pcie slot working for a Dell Bluetooth card I have. I took the whole motherboard apart to trace the USB lines, but got nowhere. May try again.

My idea was using the single slot, but soldering wires to the Dell bluetooth card and hooking up the BTCOEXIST lines to the Dell Wifi for concurrent BT/Wifi. No go, so far.

USB 3.0 drivers install, but it doesn't work. I have also hacked the AppleSDXC driver, but it doesn't work either. Inserting a SD card causes the LEDs to flash on the trackpad, but the card doesn't read/mount.

I do get occasional 'stutters'. I've never had that on any other hackint0sh. I don't know if it's the machine, or the hacked graphics drivers. Every now and then (seemingly randomly) the mouse will 'freeze' for half a second or so. Audio seems to keep playing, as does video, but the mouse cursor freezes, and then catches up again. I don't know why, but I'll bet it's the BIOS. It does seem to occur more in SL 10.6.8 than Lion.

It could even be my outdated DSDT which I put in before swapping the wifi card. IDK.

Alex

Any advise for the rest of us on the binpatched driver. We're all hung with the lvds not being detected

Jlp,

I posted the following on tonymacx86, but I'll repeat here for simplicity:

...Well, I have internal LVDS working but only at 1280x720 (much better than 1024x768, but not quite as nice as 1366x768). I also have sound, keyboard and trackpad. I haven't checked much else.

My install method:

Install Lion via a bootable iAtkos USB with Chimera bootloader

Copy over smbios for MacBookPro8,1

Remove AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext

Edit AppleIntelSNB...kext to list just 0x01168086

Edit AppleIntelHDGraphics.kext to list just 0x01168086

Use [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] to install VoodoHDA kexts

Boot with flags "-f "Graphics Mode"="1366x768x32" arch=i386 npci=0x2000 darkwake=0"

This is as close as I've gotten to native resolution. I tried SwitchResX using values I got from PowerStrip in Windows, but it could not initialize the custom resolution. I tried applying the dual link DSDT mod that is posted somewhere (either here or insanelymac) but that did not have an effect.

Notes:Without the "Graphics Mode" boot flag above I only get 1024x768, so I think it's trying. dmesg shows two messages "SNB Framebuffer did not show up, unload"

About This Mac>System Report >Graphics/Displays shows "No kext loaded" for the Intel Graphics 3000

Questions:

Do you think I did not do the dual link DSDT mod properly (the post suggested it was required to get above 1280 x 768)

Update since that post:

I've since uninstalled Lion... actually formatted and reinstalled Win and Linux. Win did not run well installed on second partition of HDD after an HFS+ partition... it was slow as dirt and HDD read/writes took insane amounts of time. I require Windows to run EE simulations for my day job, and getting OSX to run was just a curiosity.

Any advise for the rest of us on the binpatched driver. We're all hung with the lvds not being detected

• 4 weeks later...

Alex

Alex why sharing how to??

How to alex? How to... Please