Fermi 5XX works with Lion DP4/GM!

T.B.B.

314 posts in this topic

UPDATE: Nvidia released new drivers for the Fermi. Check them out here: http://www.nvidia.co...f01-driver.html . No hacks will be needed anymore to run a Fermi card. Check out the post by netkas for more information: http://netkas.org/?p=1059

Hey guys,

here a tutorial how to install your 5XX GTX cards. Right now I'm still missing a list which ones are supported yet. But i can confirm the following: 560Ti, 560M, 570, 580, 590

1. Install Lion DP4 or GM

2. After Install: Go to System/Library/Extensions/ and open up (Show Package Content) the NVDAGF100Hal.kext.

3. Go to Contents and open up the file info.plist

4. Go to the following line in the file and add your own device id. You can also google or use the this tool to get your dev id: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=219584

Here are some IDs:

1200 is GTX560Ti

1251 is GTX560M

1081 is GTX570

1080 is GTX580

1088 is GTX590

<string>

0x06c010de&0xffe0ffff

0x0dc010de&0xffc0ffff

0x0e2010de&0xffe0ffff

0x0ee010de&0xffe0ffff

0x0f0010de&0xffc0ffff

0x104010de&0xffc0ffff

0x124010de&0xffc0ffff

0x108110de&0xffe0ffff --> this is 570GTX and was added, change it to your device id

</string>

5. Mac will ask you to duplicate it. Do that and save the file somewhere else. Replace it the old one with the new one.

6. In my case (I've got Chamelon installed): enable Graphics Enabler

7. Restart your mac. Done.

In case your card won't recognized, you may try ATY_Init as enabler instead.

Use a kext utility for that. Don't forget to rebuild cache and kexts.

Link for ATY_Init: http://rghost.net/10381881

All credits goes to Netkas and The Rominator ;) Thanks for your efforts.

UPDATE: (thx to mayhemm88 and camoguy)

How to enable CUDA?

- Install at least CUDA Drivers 4.1.28 from nvidia page.

link: http://developer.download.nvidia.com/compute/cuda/4_1/rel/toolkit/cudatoolkit_4.1.28_macos.pkg

Enabling Open CI?

- Follow these instructions from netkas:

link: http://netkas.org/?p=794

You will need a HexEditor for that though. http://hexedit.sourceforge.net/

About GraphicsMode:

Do not enable GraphicsMode -- this will lead to breaking 3D apps!

If you modify your com.boot.plist manually leave the line with GraphicsMode blank.

<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string></string>

How to get full graphics power: (Warning: this may result in kernel panic)

- First solution:

Modify your AppleGraphicsPowerManagement kext.

560Ti Users: Download the info.plist attached.

580 Users: Download the AGPM580 file attached.

- Second solution:

Remove applegraphicspowermanagement.kext from /System/Library/Extensions.

Don't forget to rebuild cache and kexts.

Also make a backup of it, in case you will get a kernel panic.

more infos:

http://www.insanelym...howtopic=266036

video of running GTX580: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYKtCTp3JbQ (thx to hannibal1969)

Info.plist.zip

AGPM580.kext.rar

• Like 2

Its:

The NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M is a fast middle class graphics card for laptops. It is based on the same GF106 core as the GeForce GT 445M but offers slightly higher clock rates and support for DDR3 running at 900 MHz. The other features like PureVideo HD (VP4), 3DVision, HD Audio support, ... are identical to the GT445M. The chip can be used with DDR3 or GDDR5 graphics memory. Depending on the configuration, the performance can differ significantly.

well Fermi 5XX are based on the GF110 chip. so no your GF is not a 5XX Fermi. But more like a 4XX. So you have to look for 4XX drivers.

Hey guys...

just install Lion DP4...Fermi card do work with it. Full QE and CI!

if anybody needs tut. let me know.

greets

t.b.b.

Hi T.B.B. what kind of gfx 5xx do you have? 'cause in the near future i want to change my 9800gt with a gtx 570 but only if i'm sure that it's 100% supported (QE/CI and full resolution.Anyway tnx for the information. cheers

Hi, I have a GTX 560 Ti card and am wondering whether updating to Lion will give me full support as well. What do you think? Also, if it's not too much trouble, could you post a tutorial (I would really appreciate it; this is my first hackintosh build).

• Like 1

Hey guys...

just install Lion DP4...Fermi card do work with it. Full QE and CI!

if anybody needs tut. let me know.

greets

t.b.b.

Hey a Tutorial would be really great so I can use my GTX 570 :hysterical:

Thanks in advance

Thanks so much for this tutorial. Unfortunately I am having trouble using my NVDAGF100.kext after editing the .plist file. I keep getting an error saying that it was improperly "installed" and needs to be replaced because it cannot be used...something along those lines. If I recopy the old Info.plist file back in, it rebuilds caches and kext from [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] without error. Anyone having this issue? I have attached the edited Info.plist file that I am trying to add. (I am using the GTX 560 Ti so from looking at other sources the device id should be 1200 or 0x1200 in the .plist file)

Never mind! I tried rebuilding the cache again with the edited file and no errors. I rebooted and now have functioning features that were not working before. I can now view images in preview, watch flash videos, Command+Control+Option+8 does invert colors now too, and when I go into displays in preferences my monitor is actually identified by name and my native resolution is selected (I have a list now too, not just 1280x1024).

There are a few issues. System profiler no longer lists my card name and available memory...weird. Also, I do not have Quartz Extreme (QE) or Core Image (CI) support under graphics in system profiler. I am a noob at this so to me it looks like just OpenGL is functioning, but still way better than what i had.

If someone could give me any other ways to test this I would be very appreciative so that I can let anyone else know with an EVGA Geforce GTX 560 Ti card that it has almost, if not, full functionality with these steps. If anyone also knows how to resolve the issues I am having or is having the same ones, hopefully we can try and work out the kinks. Thanks again T.B.B.!

post-821300-1309793722_thumb.png

post-821300-1309794228_thumb.png

give me a pic of your .plist and check with -v at the start up if ATY_Init is loading and identifying your card.

Also NVDAGF100Hal is loaded and registered should come up at the loading process.

btw do you have Chameleon installed? Did you enable GraphicsEnabler?

@T.B.B.

So, I have attached a picture of my .plist file. I don't know if it will help any. (btw, I have 1680x1050 listed as the resolution to load when my OS starts, but the boot image is fairly stretched, so my guess is that it is only capable of displaying 1280x1024 at that point...probably doesn't see or understand my card)

I am running Chimera v1.4.1 r877 with GraphicsEnabler on...however from what I can see when booting in '-v' mode, the NVenabler isn't doing anything. I tried to catch the text multiple times but it moves so fast I can't be sure what exactly is going on. (I can try and record it and slow the footage if I have to). It reads both NVDAGF100Hal and ATY_Init but I don't know if it successfully loads either. What weird is the only thing I could clearly read was that the NVenabler repeatedly tried to load and it would end up saying 'probe fails', but the text would then continue to stream down my screen and then load the OS.

In addition, I tried using OSX86 Tools to build an EFI string that I might be able to add to the com.apple.Boot.plist file, possibly to resolve my issues, but because the .plist file is 'locked' I cannot use the utility to manipulate it. I do not know much about EFI strings in general and I was unable to find a way to manually add one to my .plist file...would this help me? Do you know of a way to get around using the utility and just copying its output into a specific set of lines or parts of the .plist file?

@octopus_new

Like I said, I really don't know what is enabled but I have the ability now to watch flash videos and even .mkv files with vlc. I can view images with preview and the resolution and model of my monitor are recognized (surprisingly!). I would think this is OpenGL but I really don't know...it seemed only logical to me if QE and CI weren't functioning.

In case this is relevant here is some more info about my build:

Intel i7-2600k Processor

EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti Graphics Card

120GB Intel 320 Series SSD (Dual Booting) and 1 TB Western Digital HDD (Storage)

Asus P8H67-I Deluxe Motherboard

8GB (2x4GB) Corsair DDR3 RAM

LG Super Multi WH12LS30 Optical Drive

post-821300-1309928519_thumb.png

I can confirm what AdobeEditor said. This method to modify NVDAGF100.kext drivers to 560TI works. I've able get correct resolution of 1920x1080 with full colors. Even amount of my graphics adapter ram is corrent (2048Mb as I've got Gainward's 560TI Phantom, 2Gb). Flash and and video's work fine.

I'm not sure if OpenCL and stuff works. Propably not but it's okay for me as I use this only music workstation with Reaper. I just don't know how to test it.

-J-

Ps. sending pictures when I'm @ osx. Now I'll take image of my harddisk with clonezilla.

post-827289-1309935562_thumb.png

post-827289-1309935835_thumb.jpg

Glad to hear that this card is working for others too.

@jemaliahz

Did you do anything else that would allow your build to recognize your graphics card? Did you add any strings or extra code to the com.apple.Boot.plist file? Could you try adding a widget in dashboard and see if there are ripples?...if there are you have either Quartz Extreme or Core Image as well (I couldn't get them to work).

Any info would be much appreciated.

It's weird. I managed to mess up my installation so I had to install again. Previous install was 'upgrade' from 10.6.7 and this new one is fresh install (to disc which didn't include any previous osx).

Graphics Driver was detected right @ installation but no correct resolution was given. I had to add 0x120010de&0xffc0ffff to plist.info and install ATY_Init after that to get it work.

All data is now correct to system info as you can see from picture but it's not working totally as there's no ripples at adding widget to dashboard.

Anyway: It's currently good enough for me for current purpose.

-J-

post-827289-1309976612_thumb.png

All data is now correct to system info as you can see from picture but it's not working totally as there's no ripples at adding widget to dashboard.

Hi, for what i know, in lion there is no more ripple effect when adding a new widget to the dashboard... so i think you are totally ok with your graphic card compatibility.

Wait for someone else to confirm this... :blink:

cheers

Hi, for what i know, in lion there is no more ripple effect when adding a new widget to the dashboard... so i think you are totally ok with your graphic card compatibility.

Wait for someone else to confirm this... :blink:

cheers

There is a ripple effect still if you uncheck "Show Dashboard as a space" in System Preferences/Mission Control and then open Dashboard and add a widget.

GeForce GTX 560M 2GB card fully working!

================================

The method at the top of this thread worked on a GTX 560M with 2GB and device ID 1251 in GM. [Asus G74SX-BBK7 Notebook PC from Best Buy] Allows for native resolution, and produces a ripple effect when adding new widget to the dashboard (so QE/CI is enabled). Shows up as unknown in System Information for model and chipset model.

Thanks!

UPDATE -- performed netkas Fermi OpenCL patch and now I have OpenCL also.

http://netkas.org/?p=794

Enabled Cuda by installing Cuda Driver 4.0.19 and ran Cuda-Z to confirm operation.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... pic=254370

@westsdat : I changed mission control settings and now I got ripples! TY :blink:

(btw. I had to AGAIN install my osx again because if I'll install my audiointerface directly to 'clean' 10.7 it won't work. But if I'll upgrade from 10.6.7 it works fine... )

-J-

EDIT: It's not clean install which is killing audiointerface: It's correct resolution! After correct resolution Audiointerface won't connect anymore... Any ideas?

Hey guys,

here a tutorial how to install your 5XX GTX cards. Right now I'm still missing a list which ones are supported yet. But i can confirm the following: 570, 580, 590

1. Install Lion DP4 or GM

Do I install Lion before I put the card in? Then switch the GTX590 after install?

When booting Lion with the GTX590 I get stuck at the infamous "PCI Begin Configuration"

Snow Leopard don't do that.

Thanks

Do I install Lion before I put the card in? Then switch the GTX590 after install?

When booting Lion with the GTX590 I get stuck at the infamous "PCI Begin Configuration"

Snow Leopard don't do that.

Thanks

You can try kernel boot flag npci=0x2000 and see if you can get around the [PCI Configuration Begin].

Fermi patch at http://netkas.org/?p=854

My biggest question is why my system profiler won't list or recognize the card if it is functioning properly? Anyone else having this issue...? (I have pictures posted farther up in the thread that show what my system profiler actually says.)

Just thought of something to add. Could it be my choice of bootloader? Chimera was installed when I used [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] to setup my basic kexts. I accidentally installed Chameleon at one point and it stopped me from being able to boot up, but could changing to Chameleon help fix my issues? I don't actually get full resolution during boot, only until I reach the Lion login screen does it seem to readjust to 1680x1050 instead of 1280x1024.

Aha! I discovered something else very interesting. I booted into safe mode (typed -x when selecting partition to boot from in bootloader and the system now identifies my card and ram properly...could anyone else confirm this? I would hope that this is a sign as to what is wrong and could be by passed in safe mode...but I don't know.)

@westsdad

Ok, so I actually do get ripples if I uncheck "Use Dashboard as a Space"!

Well, after all that posting, I ended up solving the problem. Once I removed NVenabler64.kext from the Extra/Extensions folder, my build booted up as normal and then now when I enter system profiler, my specs are listed! Yay!

post-821300-1310101015_thumb.png