10.6.8 Retail on Dell Inspiron 580 MT (Core i3)

16 posts in this topic

UPDATE 000: 10.6.8 update went very well. Ran 10.6.8 Combo update, force quit installer. Ran 10.8 Legacy-Kernel installer. Restarted. No Sound -- put back original (rollback) AppleHDA.kext from original install -- all good!

UPDATE 001: It appears that Chimera now fully supports (some) Intel HD Graphics 3000, and guess what this Dell has for integrated graphics? YUP... I will test this when I find the time, but amazing news - no kext edits, no EFI string - just Graphics Enabler in boot plist.

UPDATE 01: NETWORKING IS NOT BROKEN. It only appears to be broken on Wired ethernet to PS2 or VNC. All my other connection attempts have been at full speed, and worked well, even after sleep. This could be a side effect of the hex patching used to get the kext working with this broadcom integrated chip in the first place?? If you are not using VNC or PS2, then you should have a great deal of success in 32 or 64 bit mode, regardless.

UPDATE 02: Working fine with 10.7.3 kernel from latest BridgeHelper - need to change to pmVersion=23

A quick guide coz someone else asked in my other guide thread.

You will need this file.

You will also need to put aside an entire drive for this method. I needed to partition my 1.5TB drive, or Chameleon never worked, I used GUID (DO NOT USE MBR FORMATTED DRIVE) 300GB+1200GB partitions, with OSX obviously installed to the first 300GB partition.

With PS2 (loopback cable direct)

BSBGc.png

With XBOX (loopback cable direct, XBMC + FTP)

18PBF.png

Network worked fine with same kernel, kext on XP and Win7 networking, copied Gigabytes at full gigabit speeds (25-50MB/s). This issue is purely with PS2 (or possibly a router in other cases).

OK, the magic kernel boot flags (MKB flags) is this:

busratio=22 pmVersion=0 arch=i386

Use this whenever starting up -- you will need to type it in manually many times, so learn it well, and have it written down, in case you have a brain fade.

Every boot until the very final one, uses the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] Universal boot disc. Get It Here!

You will also need the following updates from Apple. Filenames listed below.

MacOSUpdCombo10.6.3v1.1.dmg (NOTICE THE COMBO UPDATE)

MacOSUpd10.6.4.dmg

MacOSUpd10.6.5.dmg

MacOSUpd10.6.6.dmg

MacOSUpdCombo10.6.7.dmg (NOTICE THE COMBO UPDATE!!! NON-COMBO NO WORKY)

SnowLeopardFontUpdate.dmg

Nawcom's 10.8.0 Legacy Kernel

Set your bios to AHCI, also set power management to S3

Set your startup disk to be the drive that you are about to install to. Insert your [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] CD/DVD

Reboot, and hit F12, then select the CD/DVD drive.

Wait for the pretty disk pictures, then you can eject the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] CD/DVD, and insert Retail Snow Leopard 10.6.3.

Wait a few seconds to spin up, then hit F5. The CD/DVD should appear in the list. Use the arrow keys to select it, and then start typing the magic kernel flags from above.

Install absolutely everything on the Retail disc.

The computer may freeze right at the end of installation, but it did work.

You do not need the Retail disc anymore, put it away, somewhere safe.

Reboot ([url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] CD/DVD) + F12

Select OSX partition with arrow keys, type MKB flags above

Copy over all the updaters to the OSX drive. Install all updaters in the order listed above (ie. 10.6.3 -> 10.6.7 and then the Snow Leopard Font Update).

It may appear to hang or freeze. give it 10min, and then force-reset. I only had two apparent freezes, on the original Retail install and on Combo10.6.7update, but both installed fine. Make sure you wait 10 min to be sure!

You will need to restart with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] (F12) and MKB flags between each install.

When you are booted into 10.6.7 (finally), you can run [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] (you downloaded needed.zip above right?) and select the following options:

ocJdl.jpg

Restart

DO NOT USE [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]!!!

you should get a boot menu, if it doesn't work, unplug all USB drives and try again. It never works with USB drives plugged in at boot (trust me, you can plug em in later).

Now, install SleepEnabler (from needed.zip above) SEE BELOW and AppleBCMxxxxx (from needed.zip above) using KextUtility.

You MUST now edit /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist to have kernel flags...

pmVersion=21 arch=i386

now all is working.

STOP PRESS: Download the legacy xnu-kernel here --> http://nawcom.com/legacy_kernel-10.7.0.pkg.zip

STOP PRESS: Also Download the nawcom legacy kernel 10.8.0 here --> (with sleep enabler update included) http://blog.nawcom.com/?p=791

Backup existing IntelHDA.kext (rollback), and the only thing not working after installing 10.8.0 legacy kernel is sound. Install backed up IntelHDA.kext with Kext Utility, restart -- and there you go!

Will try non-DSDT Lion at some point soon....

It gives you full 64bit kernel and extensions (-force64 instead of arch=i386) + full sleep support!!!!

You may have to take steps with NTFS software, and make sure it is FULLY 64 bit. I cannot use -force64, but I have an updated TuxeraNTFS, which may alleviate the problem. Performance is much better under forced 64 bit mode.

Cheers, enjoy!!!

PS. Latest TuxeraNTFS working perfect in 64bit.

You can check my other H57 Dell Inspiron 580 MT guide for more detailed info.

I am trying to use your guide on a Inspiron 580 with an i3 550. I changed the busratio to 24 along with the suggested bios settings and I have an unpartitioned disk in the machine. The Apple logo has been spinning for over an hour now. What should my first troubleshooting step be?

Thanks!

I just want to add that I am running the onboard video.

I just did a verbose boot and don't see anything informative... at least not to me. It stops with this line:

ATHR: unknown locale: 60

One more thing. I was unable to locate MacOSUpd10.6.3v1.1.dmg. I was only able to locate MacOSXUpdCombo10.6.3v1.1.dmg. Is that correct?

Is 24 the correct busratio for you? Mine is 22 for a 2.93GHz Core i3. If no "ghostbusters" style symbol appears, it would appear you may have burnt your DVD too fast. I burnt mine at minimum (for my drive/media) of 4X. any faster and it can cause issues. The boot does take at least 8min or so to reach the first window, so be patient. The install takes about an hour (never fear, full speed after a reboot).

I just did a verbose boot and don't see anything informative... at least not to me. It stops with this line:

ATHR: unknown locale: 60

News to me. You must set your OSX HDD (as yet untouched) as the startup drive, then hit F12 to select the DVD. You may wish to try an older version of [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]. I may even image my disc and put it online.

Unplug all unnecessary USB devices for install. Here are some other kernel flags that may help:

maxmem=2048 cpus=1 -legacy

try each of those, or all three at once, also you can use:

"graphics mode"="1024x768x32@60" to use VESA and avoid any graphics issues. You will ABSOLUTELY NEED A COMPATIBLE NVIDIA GRAPHICS CARD!!!! If you do not have one, go no further without checking Chameleon compatibility with your card.

One more thing. I was unable to locate MacOSUpd10.6.3v1.1.dmg. I was only able to locate MacOSXUpdCombo10.6.3v1.1.dmg. Is that correct?

Well spotted, I will edit the original with this filename.

Good luck, keep me informed.

PS. I managed to screw my install (after installing EVERYTHING -- grrr). Retrying later today.

UPDATE: Everything working fine, full speed, XBench score 299 (without disk), exactly the same as previous Hazzard install. I needed to use new xnu-legacy 10.7 kernel above. I will install the updated NVIDIA kexts from 2011 iMac update, and will consider buying a GTX450 or similar, to get direct HDMI out.

I have an i3 550 (3.2Ghz) and according to Intel the busratio is 24. I will try some of these other options and see if that helps. I am really thinking it is the disk though because I have tried this disk on several machines that are know to work well with OSX and never make it to the language prompt. I burned it at Max speed though. I am going to burn it again at 4x.

As for video cards. I don't plan to do much on this machine other then Xcode so I doubt I will need much of a video card. I have a 8400GS on hand. Is that compatible with OSX?

Thanks for your help! I will stay in touch.

Edit: I just did some reading. Looks like the 8400GS should work just fine. I will throw that in the box.

Okay.. now we are getting somewhere. I threw the 8400GS in there and burned the disk at 4x this time and managed to get to the language screen. But now it says "Max OS X can't be installed on this computer". I suspect this has something to do with my disk. Is there something I have to do to the disk to prepare it? I can't get into Disk Util in the setup. It is grayed out.

Edit: After more reading it looks like I have an OEM restore image but need a retail image. I guess I will be heading to BestBuy tonight. I was looking forward to getting started now though and then getting the disk later. Oh well. :wacko:

I went by BestBuy the other night and picked up 10.6.3 Retail Family pack (the single licence was out of stock) and was able to follow this guide without a problem. The only thing I have noticed is network communication over Ethernet is very slow. This machine also has WiFi so I switched to using WiFi and it is much faster.

I tested this last night with the two extra machines I have (an XBOX and a PS2).

Results:

FTP speeds fine, and full speed

SMB works perfectly from XBOX - streaming videos play perfectly with no skipping.

SMB from PS2 is too slow to be of any use -- don't know why it works with one, and not the other?!

I will try some new kexts and report back!

I went by BestBuy the other night and picked up 10.6.3 Retail Family pack (the single licence was out of stock) and was able to follow this guide without a problem. The only thing I have noticed is network communication over Ethernet is very slow. This machine also has WiFi so I switched to using WiFi and it is much faster.

I think it is more then the PS2. I first noticed the slowdown when trying to VNC into this machine. I tried connecting to it from several clients, one of them was a VNC client on my iPhone and all of them were beyond slow. I am running 1920x1080 and it takes about 5mins just to draw a single frame. I switched to WiFi and disconnected the ethernet and now it is fast.

I think it is more then the PS2. I first noticed the slowdown when trying to VNC into this machine. I tried connecting to it from several clients, one of them was a VNC client on my iPhone and all of them were beyond slow. I am running 1920x1080 and it takes about 5mins just to draw a single frame. I switched to WiFi and disconnected the ethernet and now it is fast.

It only affects the PS2, and I can always boot back into Win7 to have a PS2 session. I could also burn the games to DVD (after re-patching) and play them that way too, and keep the computer connected to the XBOX.

I don't want or need WiFi or VNC, so I am OK with it for the time being... but it certainly is a problem.

• 1 month later...

In case anyone comes back here looking for working NIC drivers after Lion upgrade..

I had upgraded from SL to LION and original BCM5701 drivers from this thread would fail to load.

after extensive searching..

found that the Dell 580 MT has a broadcom onboard NIC w/ Device id of 1691

BCM5722

replaced with this one, modified info.plist to show 1691 , reset permissions and worked on first try..

from SL

Unknown 57765:

Name: ethernet

Type: Ethernet Controller

Bus: PCI

Vendor ID: 0x14e4

Device ID: 0x1691

Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x1028

Subsystem ID: 0x0438

Revision ID: 0x0001

Link Width: x1

BSD name: en0

Kext name: AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext

Firmware version: 255.255

Location: /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext

Version: 2.3.9b6

• 1 month later...

Hey Macmeister, have you had any problems with memory on your system? I am contacting Dell today to have parts replaced on my computer. This is the second time since I started using OSX that I've had this problem. It starts off with random kernel panics, then ultimately I can't boot or even re-install. Last time around they replaced the motherboard, memory and hard drive. It's lasted me a couple of months and now I'm back to having problems again.

Dell diagnostics show a WCMATS memory compare error, whatever that means.

It seems strange that an OS could cause physical damage to the hardware, but is it possible?

Hey grik,

I've never heard of this happening before, but with a faulty BIOS/MOBO, I guess it is feasible.

Make sure you take notes (and even mark components) to be double-sure that they are actually doing what they are telling you they are doing. I have heard stories of despicable acts by service departments -- like formatting a hard drive, and then saying that they replaced it (and charging for the new drive).

WCMATS DIMM2 fail error is all over Google like a rash... Did you get a Ground Bounce or XMAT S32 error??

The only issue with my machine was FAULTY GRAPHICS CARD, and I added my own heat compound (Silver 5) to the CPU/Heat Sink, and a Cooler Master 650W power supply (to replace the woefully inadequate included one). Machine has run flawlessly since then.

Hope Dell can solve the issue for you... Check some of the solutions online, but I fear the great majority will say "sent back to DELL for replacement".

Cheers,

themacmeister

Hey Macmeister, have you had any problems with memory on your system? I am contacting Dell today to have parts replaced on my computer. This is the second time since I started using OSX that I've had this problem. It starts off with random kernel panics, then ultimately I can't boot or even re-install. Last time around they replaced the motherboard, memory and hard drive. It's lasted me a couple of months and now I'm back to having problems again.

Dell diagnostics show a WCMATS memory compare error, whatever that means.

It seems strange that an OS could cause physical damage to the hardware, but is it possible?

• 4 months later...

Tried another install, pretty much got it to where I was here, but:

Full screen doesn't seem to work, also, games set at 1920x1080 fullscreen run in a smaller (1280x1024) size?!

I updated the retail NVIDIA installer, but same results?!

Anyone know what might be wrong?

Cheers.

PS. I think it was the 10.6.8a update I applied, from Apple. Not identical to the one I used previously.