Guide to enable QE/CI on Dell Studio 1555 with Mob 4570

leo90

27 posts in this topic

1)Install Snow Leopard 10.6.6. and during installation select in the graphic section driver "Aty_init"

2)Install Chamelion bootloader RC5

3)Boot the fresh installation of your Snow

4)Under /System/Library/Extensions delete Atiframebuffer.kext and Ati4600controller.kext

5)Install Atiframebuffer.kext and Ati4600controller.kext that I have posted below

6)Repair permissions

7)Go to / and delete the "boot" file. Replace it with the "boot" in the archive

8)Open /Extra and paste com.apple.boot.plist and Smbios.plist that you find in the archive

9)Reboot

10)Enjoy

If you upgrade to 10.6.7. you have to boot in safe mode (-x) and reinstall Ati4600controller.kext and Atiframebuffer.kext and Aty_init, repair permission and reboot

To have speedstep and graphic power management you have to patch your DSDT ( I used DSDTpatchergui) and inject it with Chamelion. Than delete NullCpupowermanagement.kext and Disabler.kext

Dell_Studio_1555.zip

Hi Leo90 very thanks for your guide to enable QE/CI for mobility 4570 on dell studio 1555. I have success on my laptop but still a little problem that the logo of apple on the top left change color to green not black. Do you have any ideas to fix it? Thanks

1)Install Snow Leopard 10.6.6. and during installation select in the graphic section driver "Aty_init"

4)Under /System/Library/Extensions delete Atiframebuffer.kext and Ati4600controller.kext

5)Install Atiframebuffer.kext and Ati4600controller.kext that I have posted below

6)Repair permissions

8)Open /Extra and paste com.apple.boot.plist and Smbios.plist that you find in the archive

9)Reboot

10)Enjoy

If you upgrade to 10.6.7. you have to boot in safe mode (-x) and reinstall Ati4600controller.kext and Atiframebuffer.kext and Aty_init, repair permission and reboot

To have speedstep and graphic power management you have to patch your DSDT ( I used DSDTpatchergui) and inject it with Chamelion. Than delete NullCpupowermanagement.kext and Disabler.kext

After trying everything I lost hope of enabling QE/CI and everbody use to say that it is not possible but here u comes. Thanks mate for enabling QE/CI.

But now I am having a problem, my audio and internet is not working. R u having this probelm or not. If not how u solved it?

Thanks again mate.

6)Repair permissions

9)Reboot

10)Enjoy

leo90, thanks for your method, but i was able to get Full Resolution but QE/CI is not enabled. Im using Dell 1555 as well and used Hazard 10.6.6i..... am i missing something here?

After following your steps my audio and Ethernet was messed up. Now I just change kernel flags from -v to arch=i386 in com.apple.boot.plist file in EXTRA folder and now my audio and Ethernet controller is working perfect. I did not even install Chamelion bootloader RC5, I am still using MYHACK bootloader. Except my wireless now my mac is full functional.

Cheers to you mate. I have waited one year to enable QE/CI for my video card.

Cheers again.

• 2 months later...

6)Repair permissions

9)Reboot

10)Enjoy

Would these kext works in 10.6.8 update? Has anyone tried update to 10.6.8?

I treied update to 10.6.8 but i get grey screen and no spinning circle. If I use -x -v, system stop at PCI Configration.

Any help plz.....

• 2 weeks later...

Would this work on other laptops with a Mobility Radeon 4570? Namely the Sony Vaio NW11S? Only minor differences in specs, same graphics card though.

Installed iDeneb a long time ago and had everything functioning but the Wireless (not gonna attempt that again) and QE/CI.

Also, what install method should I use? Just vanilla 10.6.6? Not taking any risks haha.

Thanks!

I tried with these kernel extensions on my Studio 1555, but they don't get me anywhere.

I can get native resolution, however no QE/CI.

Could someone give me any suggestions on how to enable this? I'm at my wits end here.

Regards,

I forgot to include the other ATI Framebuffer kexts.

Silly me.

Anyone got a fix for the OpenGL problem?

• 4 weeks later...

I am going to try this today! Thanks for giving me hope.

EDIT: Got my Graphics card working in just 5 minutes. As I already had Mac OSX installed, I merely copy pasted three kexts into Kext helper and installed them. Then pasted boot under /. Then the two .plist files into Extra. Rebooted and that's it. Worked like charm with the translucent QE/CI. Installed Xcode and saved myself from buying a Macbook Air worth $1600 [i use Tata Docomo 3g for internet, so WiFi/Ethernet is not essential :)]

• 3 months later...

I currently have lion 10.7 dp4 installed on my studio 1555 with no qe & ci . And I don't have any hope of getting it done, so I want to ask if I install 10.6.6 as per this guide with working qe & ci , and then upgrade it to lion .....will I still have qe & ci activated on my dell studio 1555.???

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

What is the "/" directory ? Do you mean the partition I have mac installed on ? My mac partition is called "mac" it's this gray hard disk looking thing on my desktop. I cannot paste my boot file. The error msg that came up said "The item "boot" can't be replaced because it's invisible"

What is the "/" directory ? Do you mean the partition I have mac installed on ? My mac partition is called "mac" it's this gray hard disk looking thing on my desktop. I cannot paste my boot file. The error msg that came up said "The item "boot" can't be replaced because it's invisible"

Yes it's the name of your partition(for me it's called Snow Leopard). It should already contain an existing boot file.

http://cl.ly/101f143p2H0b2M0i3t2R

You need to delete your existing boot file and then copy over the one from the archive, otherwise it will display the error that it's invisible.

I could not even see the boot file in my partition. I ended up having to re-install and then I saw it lol.

Also,

sounds a bit odd. What do you mean by saying this ? Copy com.apple.boot.plist and Smbios.plist from archive to /Extra folder ?

please clarify your steps... a little clarification goes a long way.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...