Acer Aspire TimelineX 5820GT (with QE/CI) HOWTO

13 posts in this topic

Disclaimer - I'm triple booting OSX + Windows 7 + Ubuntu. GRUB is my bootloader.

Get OSX 10.6.7 installed

In the BIOS, set video mode to discreet

-> The Intel graphics card is bypassed and it only runs on the ATI discrete card

Get ModCD from Nawcom's Blog and burn it to your CD

-> With your retail CD you will be able to install into an MBR (the standard used with Windows, not GPT as normally needed by OSX)

Download the combo update if you do not have 10.6.7 from Apple.com and burn it to CD if you do not know how to access your drives from outside of Windows. Linux users : sudo mount -o force,rw /dev/sdax /mnt if you're running Ubuntu and if you've forgot how to rw mount hfsplus partitions.

Prepare a partition for MacOSX

-> Ubuntu users can do so by booting up from a live cd and resize the partitions with gparted. Windows users, there are some propriety apps (and apparently Win7 can resize its own partitions) but I do not have experience in this regard.

Boot up with the ModCD (F12 on cold boot for boot device). After being presented by initial graphical selection screen, eject the ModCD, and put in your retail CD. Press F5 to refresh the menu and select OSX installer. I've done this with my 10.6.3 without problems.

After OSX's installer has booted up, click Utilities->Disk Utility and select the partition you've prepared and erase it has a Mac OSX Extended (Journaled) partition.

When finished, close the Disk Utility and follow the installer as normal. In 10.6.3 it will seem to be stuck at 19minutes remaining, and suddenly reboots. Relax, it was finished...

Ubuntu users, this has nuked your GRUB. Bootup with a live disk and run the following commands:

sudo -s
mount /dev/sdaX /mnt (X with your root Ubuntu partition)
mount -o bind /dev /mnt/dev/
mount -o bind /proc /mnt/proc/
mount -o bind /sys /mnt/sys/
chroot /mnt
update-grub
grub-install /dev/sda

This will re-sync your changes with the fact that you've got OSX somewhere installed.

Windows users, this probably nuked something. Don't know how to fix it.

Boot up with ModCD again. This time select your freshly installed system. Install 10.6.7's combo update, reboot.

If you've got Ubuntu installed (and you did refresh your GRUB) then running 64bit OSX from GRUB's menu will get you into OSX.

QE/QI for 5820TG

Special thanks goes out to Checco with his post on how to get the ATI Mobility Radeon 5650 HD up and running.

Get [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], run it in OSX. Under Drivers&Bootloaders select ATI 1.6.32.12 drivers. Click continue to install.

The attached zip file Extra, extract its contents into /Extra and the zip file boot.zip extract it in /. That's it for QE/QI. Orangutan is the Video profile for our setup that I've found to work.

Get GRUB to boot the correct files

In Ubuntu, add a file to /etc/grub.d

sudo touch /etc/grub.d/40_custom_osx

Then edit its content

sudo nano /etc/grub.d/40_custom_osx

Paste this in

echo "Adding Custom OSX Entry" >&2
cat << EOF
menuentry "Hackintosh" {
insmod part_msdos
insmod hsfplus	  
set root=(hd0,msdos3)
multiboot /boot
} 
EOF

msdos3 reflects the partition OSX has been installed with, change according to your setup.

Then run

sudo update-grub

Your menu entry is good to boot up OSX from GRUB - enabling a triple boot system.

What works so far

Discrete graphics

Ethernet

What does not work so far

WiFi

Touchpad

WebCam

I will update this post as soon as I figure out the rest. The 5820TG's WiFi card is a Broadcom module so it is suppose to work with OSX. Touchpad KEXT from [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] doesn't work really - you get a pointer that moves and tap-to-click but no double finger scrolling.

WebCam is a complete unknown.

Extra.zip

boot.zip

i will give it a try just a few question i only have dual boot win7 and mac, so i just need to follow this part:

"QE/QI for 5820TG

Special thanks goes out to Checco with his post on how to get the ATI Mobility Radeon 5650 HD up and running.

Get [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url], run it in OSX. Under Drivers&Bootloaders select ATI 1.6.32.12 drivers. Click continue to install.

The attached zip file Extra, extract its contents into /Extra and the zip file boot.zip extract it in /. That's it for QE/QI. Orangutan is the Video profile for our setup that I've found to work."

??

i have an Aspita 5740 but since is the same graphic card i will give it a try the worst i can get is losting another hour reinstalling the mac :)

im atm 10.6.3 so i will download the comboupdate and test it later

If the graphics doesn't work, you may need to remap it to use a different video profile. Not all Mobility Radeon 5650HD setups are the same.

If you look in the /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist there is a key 'AtiConfig' with a value string "Orangutan" - you may need to change it. Alouatta,Baboon,Colobus,Douc,Eulemur,Galago,Hoolock,Kipunji,Langur,Nomascus,Orangutan,Uakari,Vervet and Zonalis are the posibilities.

hum yes and if i try one wich dont work i need to reinstall or anyway to change it ?

If you find one isn't working you'll probably just see a black screen The OS is still running so press your power button and enter /return key to initiate the boot sequence. Upon bootup add AtiConfig="vervet" (replace vervet with whatever in my previous post) as a temporary solution to find out which one works and change orangutan in the /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist file to that.

well this may sound very noobish but where the hell can i find the extra folder? im using chamaleon 2 rc5 but i simple cant find it :X

Lol, k:

Open Finder, on the left pane there is a list "Devices" , click on your OSX install disk, mine is "Hackintosh" (your Windows partition(s) will also show up)

Then, look for Extra (capital letter).

Did you install [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] or any other after-install stuff? If not, then Extra would not have been created.

yes [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] with chamaleon rc5 ati experimental but extra folder dont appear, strange o0

Edit: found it right now, nvm xD thanks

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...