ASUS K50ID Guide & Support - Updated (9/11/2011)

ksosx86.

41 posts in this topic

I wanted to start a thread dedicated just to overall support and solutions for this product to avoid any possible confusion or misunderstanding for new viewers/users looking for solutions for this product since the other K50 thread specifies it's just for a DSDT and info is a bit unorganized. The following should be all you need to run OS X Snow Leopard stable & fast on this laptop. I recommend using 10.6.5 or above with the following.

The following has tested stable for me without KPs on 10.6.7 x64 (without Voodoo power kexts):

1.) I made a DSDT based off the new K17 BIOS dsdt.aml.zip it includes the following fixes/improvements:

-Fully working DSDT graphics (HDMI output + analog) Disable/Remove G.E. or any graphics injectors when using this.

-Modified HPET solution, based from Vista. No need for Disabler kext, supports native appleintelcpupowermanagement.

-RTC,MUTE,ALIAS fixes (no need for forceRTC/legacy kexts)

-Native AR9285 support (no need to use modified IO80211Family.kext with this DSDT to get working wireless)

-Fully functional ALC269 audio via DSDT inject (see info below regarding ALC269)

-Working Sleep without sleep enabler (Although it seems to break Restart though, hopefully I'll find a fix for that soon)

-Update: This DSDT fixes the Shutdown issue, (thanks go to AlexKord for this fix)

2.) custom smbios.plist smbios.plist.zip

-Pretty basic stuff, but this plist is necessary because you need to run this laptop as a MacBookPro5,3 for HPET to work right. (That may sound silly but trust me it's true) Besides if I'm correct that model identifier included macbookpros with the MCP79 chipset, same as the K50ID. Feel free to add any additional fixes to this smbios.plist...

3.) ALC269 Solution (It goes without saying that you'll obviously have to reinstall these kexts in the event of a system update)

AppleHDA.kext.zipIOAudioFamily.kext.zip

-You'll Need to use the modded AppleHDA and IOAudioFamily I've attached in conjuction with the DSDT for full ALC269 support.

-Don't use any past forms of VoodooHDA, they'll conflict and are obsolete compared with this solution.

-Both integrated and Line in mics work 100%

-Full 24-bit audio support without glitches.

4.) HDMI audio Solution VoodooHDA.kext.zip

-For this you'll need to use this custom VoodooHDA I worked up based on "VoodooHDA 0.261".

-This is the only VoodooHDA that will work in conjuction with the ALC setup, unless you mod your own.

-The solution isn't vectorized so I'm not sure how the 24-bit audio will perform under heavy Bass.

-Make sure and select the second HDMI device for output, I posted a screenshot.

-Note: Vectorizing may cause KP.

-Note: Mac OS doesn't manage output control for HDMI audio solution, so you'll need Soundflower if you really want that option.

5.) Unlocked ASUS K50ID BIOS K50IDAS.218.zip

-The following BIOS entitiled K18 unlocks all the advanced features of the laptop's BIOS.

-Hopefully someone will find a BIOS option related to shutdown bug. (I haven't tested every setting.)

-Also I found that this BIOS adds fan speed control & enabling of PCI-E 2.0 (Might add a bit of GPU perf.)

6.) You'll want to use the following method for the Realtek ethernet to avoid Kernel Panics with official Realtek drivers.

RealtekRTL81xx_0_0_67_.pkg.zip

7.) Modded functionflip prefpane by prasys FunctionFlip_1.prefPane.zip (works great for assigning volume control since Fn keys don't work 100%, hopefully that will change.)

post-169556-1301958475_thumb.png

Here's a few extra apps & kexts I use that you might find useful:

SoundSource.zipLineIn.zipSoundflower.pkg.zipExtra_Kexts.zip(FakeSMC, VoodooBattery, EvOreboot, ApplePS2Controller & AppleACPIPS2Nub)

Update (3-28-12): I'm sorry but I won't be able to do a Lion guide, I don't even have the laptop anymore *sold it for sandy bridge* I know I said I'd work on one but I just don't have the time, or interest in that anymore tbh....some of the work should carry over directly, best of luck with getting everything working for Lion sry I can't help.

• 1 month later...

This is an interesting new method of enabling sound for the Realtek ALC269 combining VoodooHDA, patched AppleHDA and patched IOAudioFamily.

For the first time my internal microphone is enabled on my ALC269.

Can you give the edits you did to IOAudioFamily, so we can apply the edits to newer versions of the kext? I'm not a big fan of reusing old kexts in newer system updates. I prefer to apply the edits to each new system update. It ensures better compatibility. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi KS,

I've a problem with your DSDT.aml... I'm not a beginner in this, however, I never bothered to hassle with DSDT before. I used iATKOS distro for my desktop and it worked ok.

Now, I wanted to do the same with my ASUS K50ID laptop, but the distro itself just don't cut it.

I downloaded the attached DSDT.aml you've posted, and as per instructions I've found on other sites, I simply placed it to my root (Macintosh HD) - boot partition of my HDD, but the comp wouldn't boot any more. I had to remove DSDT.aml in order to boot it at all.

I have ASUS K50ID , with T4400 processor, 4GB RAM and 1GB cuda GT320M graphic card. I believe that it fits the description of what's a "similar or the same device" ;)

What am I doing wrong? How should I use your DSDT.aml?

Thank you in advance,

Milan

Edit: Nevermind, I placed it in Extra and it works :)

Thanks!

Edit II:

I started celebrating too soon. I installed network drivers, tried to update and it crashed (stuck) again...

Too bad. I guess I'm out of ideas. If you don't have any ideas, I'll go back to that distro and it's enablers...

Edit III:

Just one more question... you mention that the solution here works for k17 bios, but also placed k18 bios that is actually unlocked bios. If I flash to k18 bios, is the solution still valid?

Edit IV:

I re-installed the 10.6.3 and upgraded it to 10.6.7, applied the DSDT and other stuff you posted (apart from HDMI since I don't use it and don't need it) and everything works like a charm, it even displays my memory correctly (DDR3 1066MHz). Just sweet! :P

Thank you so much! If it just would be possible to get the shutdown to work...

Awesome package you've got here!

Thank you again!

Edit V:

I just read what I wrote. Boy, I was annoying, wasn't I? :D

Peace...

• 3 weeks later...
Hi KS,

I've a problem with your DSDT.aml... I'm not a beginner in this, however, I never bothered to hassle with DSDT before. I used iATKOS distro for my desktop and it worked ok.

Now, I wanted to do the same with my ASUS K50ID laptop, but the distro itself just don't cut it.

I downloaded the attached DSDT.aml you've posted, and as per instructions I've found on other sites, I simply placed it to my root (Macintosh HD) - boot partition of my HDD, but the comp wouldn't boot any more. I had to remove DSDT.aml in order to boot it at all.

I have ASUS K50ID , with T4400 processor, 4GB RAM and 1GB cuda GT320M graphic card. I believe that it fits the description of what's a "similar or the same device" :(

What am I doing wrong? How should I use your DSDT.aml?

Thank you in advance,

Milan

Edit: Nevermind, I placed it in Extra and it works :(

Thanks!

Edit II:

I started celebrating too soon. I installed network drivers, tried to update and it crashed (stuck) again...

Too bad. I guess I'm out of ideas. If you don't have any ideas, I'll go back to that distro and it's enablers...

Edit III:

Just one more question... you mention that the solution here works for k17 bios, but also placed k18 bios that is actually unlocked bios. If I flash to k18 bios, is the solution still valid?

Edit IV:

I re-installed the 10.6.3 and upgraded it to 10.6.7, applied the DSDT and other stuff you posted (apart from HDMI since I don't use it and don't need it) and everything works like a charm, it even displays my memory correctly (DDR3 1066MHz). Just sweet! :)

Thank you so much! If it just would be possible to get the shutdown to work...

Awesome package you've got here!

Thank you again!

Edit V:

I just read what I wrote. Boy, I was annoying, wasn't I? :D

Peace...

can you please tell me how you went about installing 10.6.3?

I have an retail 10.6.6 and used the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], but after the installation I can never get snow leopard to boot up

I wanted to start a thread dedicated just to overall support and solutions for this product to avoid any possible confusion or misunderstanding for new viewers/users looking for solutions for this product since the other K50 thread specifies it's just for a DSDT and info is a bit unorganized. I'll make sure and keep this updated with new fixes/solutions, hopefully covering 10.7 as well. (lol to the best of my mere human capabilities lol Im nota machine)

The following should be all you need to run OS X Snow Leopard stable & fast on this laptop. I recommend using 10.6.5 or above with the following.

The following has tested stable for me without KPs on 10.6.7 x64 (without Voodoo power kexts):

1.) I made a DSDT based off the new K17 BIOS it includes the following fixes/improvements:

-Fully working DSDT graphics (HDMI output + analog) Disable/Remove G.E. or any graphics injectors when using this.

-Modified HPET solution, based from Vista. No need for Disabler kext, supports native appleintelcpupowermanagement.

-Native AR9285 support (no need to use modified IO80211Family.kext with this DSDT to get working wireless)

-Fully functional ALC269 audio via DSDT inject (see info below regarding ALC269)

-Working Sleep without sleep enabler (Although it seems to break Restart though, hopefully I'll find a fix for that soon)

Note this DSDT doesn't fix the Shutdown issue, I still haven't figured that out. I think it's something to do with GPU.

-Pretty basic stuff, but this plist is necessary because you need to run this laptop as a MacBookPro5,3 for HPET to work right. (That may sound silly but trust me it's true) Besides if I'm correct that model identifier included macbookpros with the MCP79 chipset, same as the K50ID. Feel free to add any additional fixes to this smbios.plist, just don't overwrite what I wrote.

3.) ALC269 Solution (It goes without saying that you'll obviously have to reinstall these kexts in the event of a system update)

-You'll Need to use the modded AppleHDA and IOAudioFamily I've attached in conjuction with the DSDT for full ALC269 support.

-Don't use any past forms of VoodooHDA, they'll conflict and are obsolete compared with this solution.

-For this you'll need to use this custom VoodooHDA I worked up based on "VoodooHDA 0.261".

-This is the only VoodooHDA that will work in conjuction with the ALC setup, unless you mod your own.

-The solution isn't vectorized so I'm not sure how the 24-bit audio will perform under heavy Bass.

-Note: Mac OS doesn't manage output control for HDMI audio solution, so you'll need Soundflower if you really want that option.

-The following BIOS entitiled K18 unlocks all the advanced features of the laptop's BIOS.

-Hopefully someone will find a BIOS option related to shutdown bug. (I haven't tested every setting.)

-Also I found that this BIOS adds fan speed control & enabling of PCI-E 2.0 (Might add a bit of GPU perf.)

6.) You'll want to use the following method for the Realtek ethernet to avoid Kernel Panics with official Realtek drivers.

7.) Modded functionflip prefpane by prasys FunctionFlip_1.prefPane.zip (works great for assigning volume control since Fn keys don't work 100%, hopefully that will change.)

SoundSource.zipLineIn.zipSoundflower.pkg.zipExtra_Kexts.zip(FakeSMC, VoodooBattery, EvOreboot, ApplePS2Controller & AppleACPIPS2Nub)

thanks for helping us out...if you don't mind, can you please answer these questions

1. I have the retail SL 6.6, but I can't get the graphics to work QE/CI...is there a kexts for this?

I know you can enable the graphics via iaktosx v2, but how do you do it in retail?

2. I'm getting very tired of not being able to fix AppleUSBehci halting for 100 ms error. Does this happen for you?

3. and I keep getting SERIALATAPI errors. Is this common? it slows everything down.

4. as in regards to the kexts files, do I put them all in the kext helper and run it...then run kext utility? Usually when I run [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and select userdsdt, there are kexts that get put into /extra/extensions and the other in s/l/e

5. do I even need to run [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]? Please tell me if so, what do you select

thanks ;)

I wanted to start a thread dedicated just to overall support and solutions for this product to avoid any possible confusion or misunderstanding for new viewers/users looking for solutions for this product since the other K50 thread specifies it's just for a DSDT and info is a bit unorganized. I'll make sure and keep this updated with new fixes/solutions, hopefully covering 10.7 as well. (lol to the best of my mere human capabilities lol Im nota machine)

The following should be all you need to run OS X Snow Leopard stable & fast on this laptop. I recommend using 10.6.5 or above with the following.

1.) I made a DSDT based off the new K17 BIOS it includes the following fixes/improvements:

Note this DSDT doesn't fix the Shutdown issue, I still haven't figured that out. I think it's something to do with GPU.

-Pretty basic stuff, but this plist is necessary because you need to run this laptop as a MacBookPro5,3 for HPET to work right. (That may sound silly but trust me it's true) Besides if I'm correct that model identifier included macbookpros with the MCP79 chipset, same as the K50ID. Feel free to add any additional fixes to this smbios.plist, just don't overwrite what I wrote.

I'm constantly getting APPLEUSBEHCI could not halt chip within 100 ms (it has something to do with taking ownership from the bios). Any ideas? I tried using PCGenUSBEHCI in place of it inside the IOUSBFAMILY.KEXT, still didn't make a difference...and sometimes i get the SERIALATAPI errors too

ANY IDEAS?

ONE OTHER THING...you state you don't need IO80211FAMILY, but it is required or else the wireless card will not operate....

I used iAtkos S3 v.2 disc with 10.6.3. Updated to 10.6.8 easily.

You can google it or try at piratebay.

I selected only AHCI for the motherboard, PS2 and battery kext from the drivers section, and than applied the DSDT solution plus all other stuff stated here.

It does work... :)

p.s. it can also work just fine without dsdt from here, but you need to check graphic enabler on bootloader options and install voodoo drivers, and stuff. It took me 3 times but I got it right. :)

I also got that usb could not halt blablabla... I gave up, reinstalled win... ;) That error gave me dead USB ports sometimes, which makes me really upset. Plus, the laptop is getting really hot. I don't like that either. Plus, shutdown error... Plus, it sometimes boots, sometimes doesn't... that's all small stuff, but it gets annoying, and I don't like it. Don't get me wrong, when it does boot, everything works awesome, better than windows in so many ways. But, I prefer stuff working as they should, you know, with function keys, and a camera that's not upside down, and sleep function, and trackpad that can do gestures, and a resolution that's not crappy, and... Sorry, but I just don't have the knowledge to make it work ;) and the laptop as it is, it's just not it. I have a desktop that I completely turned into a mac-hac (with keyboard, mouse and stuff) and it works like a charm. I'll stick with that until I get enough money to buy a real mac. :D Too bad they're so expensive.

Hope you can...

can you please tell me how you went about installing 10.6.3?

I have an retail 10.6.6 and used the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], but after the installation I can never get snow leopard to boot up

• 1 month later...

HI KS..u'r DSDT and other stuff it's work for me, thanks for all solution..

i using asus K40ID and all hardware it's work fine with os x lion 10.7..

only shutdown still can't fix and camera still have upside down image..are u know how to fix it?

• 2 weeks later...
HI KS..u'r DSDT and other stuff it's work for me, thanks for all solution..

i using asus K40ID and all hardware it's work fine with os x lion 10.7..

only shutdown still can't fix and camera still have upside down image..are u know how to fix it?

hi friend.. ill send u later.. its not a driver.. its an app that inverts the image from webcam... download iGlasses and have fun =)

Hi KS, is it possible that you could patch in that DSDT from K50ID, a way to stop those anoying errors fromAppleUSBEHCI could not halt... UIM etc?

That error is driving me nuts! the driver from PCGen does not work on my laptop, so the errors continue.

I would apreciate that u "kill" these errors :)

Best regards

César Leitão

USB FIX FOR K50ID (at least it worked for mine)

After spending lots of nights thinking in a way to get the USB working here is the possible solution, cuz it worked for me:

Install the iAtkos S3 v2 distro into your ASUS K50ID (mine is K50ID - SX082V) without any USB FIX, and then upgrade to 10.6.8 v1,1 (Apple Original Update). Install the latest Chameleon bootloader! In my laptop only shows now in verbose mode PCI configuration started, the USB errors are gone! (:

No more errors starting, or freezing, or problems with connecting USB devices on my laptop

Apply always the DSDT provided by KS

Hope it helped (:

César Leitão

be sure to check this thread for answers: http://osx86.co/f36/asus-k50in-t4409/

just a side note: dont use DSDT generated from another computers, you are better off by generating and fixing one for your specific hardware,

Cheers

well if the hardware config is the same it won't matter...which is why this is a guide for a "specific" config

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi! I have a laptop asus k50af to make hackintos, please helpme!!!

I was instaled OSX86 but my wifi, lan and vga not run. You can helpme please???

Especification

Computadora:

Tipo de computadora ACPI x64-based PC

Sistema operativo Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Service Pack del sistema operativo -

Internet Explorer 8.0.7600.16385

DirectX DirectX 10.1

Nombre de la computadora SKYNET

Nombre de usuario John Connor

Dominio de inicio de sesión SKYNET

Fecha / Hora 2011-10-24 / 15:06

Motherboard:

Tipo de CPU DualCore AMD Athlon X2 QL-21, 2100 MHz (10.5 x 200)

Nombre del motherboard Desconocido

Chipset del motherboard AMD 780G/780V/790GX, AMD K10

Memoria del sistema 3072 MB (DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM)

DIMM1: Hynix HYMP125S64CP8-S6 2 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM (6-6-6-18 @ 400 MHz) (5-5-5-15 @ 333 MHz) (4-4-4-12 @ 266 MHz)

DIMM2: Hynix HYMP112S64CP6-S6 1 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM (6-6-6-18 @ 400 MHz) (5-5-5-15 @ 333 MHz) (4-4-4-12 @ 266 MHz)

Tipo de BIOS AMI (07/21/10)

Monitor:

Placa de video ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5145 (512 MB)

Placa de video ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5145 (512 MB)

Aceleradora 3D ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 (M92)

Monitor Generic PnP Monitor [NoDB]

Multimedia:

Placa de sonido VIA VT1708S @ ATI SB700 - High Definition Audio Controller

Almacenamiento:

Controlador IDE AMD SATA Controller

Controlador de almacenamiento AZYTWBBP IDE Controller

Disco rígido WDC WD32 00BEVT-80A0RT0 SATA Disk Device (298 GB)

Disco óptico HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GT32N SATA CdRom Device

Disco óptico SNCNI K9INCTI74 SCSI CdRom Device

Estado SMART de los discos rígidos OK

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I have a problem with my K50ID.

I installed iAtkos v2 and S3 after installing wifi network not found. I tried different kext andnow I can not even wifi, wifi card not installed.

Audio does not work well.

I tried once to install mac os and everything worked but then I had a kernel panic withSleepEnabler.kext. So I reinstalled the iAtkos and so it is

Sorry for my English

Hi, I have a problem with my K50ID.

I installed iAtkos v2 and S3 after installing wifi network not found. I tried different kext andnow I can not even wifi, wifi card not installed.

Audio does not work well.

I tried once to install mac os and everything worked but then I had a kernel panic withSleepEnabler.kext. So I reinstalled the iAtkos and so it is

Sorry for my English

What were your config option during the install?