AMD Dual-Core Optimizer for Snow Leopard

12 posts in this topic

History

I have an AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual-core processor. If I boot into Snow Leopard as is, I get EXC_I386_DIV crashes across my entire system after a few hours. If I boot with the cpus=1 kernel flag, I do not receive the crashes but I lose my second core, of course. When I booted with both cores enabled, I saw a message in my kernel log saying I had an unsynchronized TSC (time stamp counter) so I deduced that that was the cause of my crashes. And it made sense since only after a few hours could the TSC become so unsynchronized so as to cause crashes (I don't know the specifics.). After I discovered this, I found the VoodooTSCSync project (http://code.google.com/p/voodootscsync/). I tried it and it synchronized my TSC at boot but I still got crashes! Then I realized that I needed my TSC to be synchronized constantly, just like the AMD Dual-Core Optimizer does for Windows users. So I took the VoodooTSCSync project and turned it into VoodooTSCSyncAMD.

What it does

VoodooTSCSyncAMD is basically AMD Dual-Core Optimizer for the Mac OS. It synchronizes the TSC across all processor cores every 10 seconds. This is for Athlon 64 FX, Athlon 64 X2, Opteron (first-generation and second-generation), Sempron X2, and Turion 64 X2. VoodooTSCSyncAMD is essential to prevent EXC_I386_DIV crashes on these processors, as well as problems with Adobe Flash Player, and system lag after a few hours. I would like to thank the original creators of VoodooTSCSync for their efforts.

VoodooTSCSyncAMD.kext.zip

VoodooTSCSyncAMD.zip

• Like 5

History

I have an AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual-core processor. If I boot into Snow Leopard as is, I get EXC_I386_DIV crashes across my entire system after a few hours. If I boot with the cpus=1 kernel flag, I do not receive the crashes but I lose my second core, of course. When I booted with both cores enabled, I saw a message in my kernel log saying I had an unsynchronized TSC (time stamp counter) so I deduced that that was the cause of my crashes. And it made sense since only after a few hours could the TSC become so unsynchronized so as to cause crashes (I don't know the specifics.). After I discovered this, I found the VoodooTSCSync project (http://code.google.com/p/voodootscsync/). I tried it and it synchronized my TSC at boot but I still got crashes! Then I realized that I needed my TSC to be synchronized constantly, just like the AMD Dual-Core Optimizer does for Windows users. So I took the VoodooTSCSync project and turned it into VoodooTSCSyncAMD.

What it does

VoodooTSCSyncAMD is basically AMD Dual-Core Optimizer for the Mac OS. It synchronizes the TSC across all processor cores every 10 seconds. This is for Athlon 64 FX, Athlon 64 X2, Opteron (first-generation and second-generation), Sempron X2, and Turion 64 X2. VoodooTSCSyncAMD is essential to prevent EXC_I386_DIV crashes on these processors, as well as problems with Adobe Flash Player, and system lag after a few hours. I would like to thank the original creators of VoodooTSCSync for their efforts.

not that i regret upgrading to an i7, but i wish this had existed a year or so ago.

assuming it works, good job!

• 3 months later...
EXC_I386_DIV crashes on these processors, as well as problems with Adobe Flash Player, and system lag after a few hours.

This is my biggest problem with snow leopard, what never existed in leopard. I give it a try!

History

What it does

Thank a lot , now i can take Time Machine backups. Awesome man now the only thing is my SaTa DVD Drive not detected in SL and also looking for Legacy kernel for Lion... let me know if you have answer for any of my questions.

• 7 months later...

hi

im using OSX 10.6.8 with legacy kernel (and some kexts) and AMD ATHLON 64 X2 and never saw that EXT_I386_DIV message

i just have to boot with "arch=i386 -force64"

i searched in logs (using Console) for that string (EXT_I386_DIV) and found nothing.

the only thing i notice is after about 20 minutes after booting, system is unresponsive and laggy for 2 or 3 minutes. after that, it works perfectly. but no error messages.

how do you notice those TSC errors?

thanks

• 3 months later...

How can I get it to load at startup prior to login?

I copied it to /System/Library/Extensions and did chown -R root:wheel chmod -R 755 but VoodooTSCSyncAMD.kext just won't load on its own

I need to run kextload each time, so VoodooTSCSyncAMD can do its stuff

any help is apreciated

• 1 year later...

Thanks for this. Although my CPU is not AMD (look at signature), this helped me use both the cores. The only issue is that, when Snow Leopard boots, I get the following warning just once:

Unsynchronized TSC for cpu 1: 0x0000000b7962f210, delta 0x1330000f8

I tried changing IOCPUNumber in Info.plist, to 2 and 3 but system gets so laggy and the error message would still exist.

The system runs smoothly but hot. I wonder what the issue is and how I can improve even further.