How to install Leopard with only single layer DVD media

accuser

31 posts in this topic

OK, I have just created a bootable copy of the Leopard install DVD using the following method:

1. Open the Leopard installation DVD using Disk Utility.

2. Using the Disk Utility, create a new dual layer (8.5GB) sparse image called leopard (actual filename will be leopard.sparseimage) and mount it.

3. Restore the Leopard installation DVD to the mounted leopard.sparseimage (not the image file.)

4. Open the mounted leopard.sparseimage with Finder, and delete the XCodeTools directory.

5. Unmount the mounted leopard.sparseimage.

6. Using the Disk Utility, create a new single layer (4.4GB) spare image called boot (actual filename will be boot.sparseimage) and mount it.

7. Restore the leopard.sparseimage image file to the mounted boot.sparseimage (not the image file.)

8. Unmount the mounted boot.sparseimage.

9. Burn the boot.sparseimage to your single layer DVD media.

Booting from this DVD works, but takes a long time.

Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

perhaps. I mean, for the hackintosh DVDs, i remember i installed them on literally about 50 machines (i should've charged, but im a nice guy :( ) Anyways, depending on DVD read speed, the DVD usually takes a bit. At most maybe 10-15 minutes to get past the Apple Logo. You sometimes hear the drive cranking away during this time. I'm sure its the same for the legit Apple install disk. So give it like 15 minutes.

How long perchance ?

Well it took me 15 minutes from restart to blue screen with working arrow, no Apple and Spinning Gear. Then I waited another 3 Energy Saver Shut Down the Monitor cycles at intervals of 15 minutes so that's 45 minutes and still nothing. I had to crash to get out and then swap monitors because the low rez Startup Manager would not show up on my 21" CRT. And holding down the mouse during startup didn't eject the DVD.

I was hoping this method would allow me to reinstall and get past the Start Up Kernel Panic screen. Nope.

. . . fb

• 2 months later...

Hey,

I have same problem as someone before me. I have a MacPro and an external USB 2 harddrive. When I mount the image which resides on the main harddrive, I cant install 10.5. Tried with the OSinstall.mpkg but when I should select what drive to install it on it says "You cannot install MacOS X on this volume. MacOS X cannot start up from this volume".

What am I doing wrong? This approach used to work perfectly on 10.4 and I remember using this techniqe on betas of 10.4

A friend om mine told me about the approach of using restore method, but as I understand it, I need 3 partitiones to use this method.

Any help would be much appreciated as I dont really want to repartionate the harddrives or burn the image on a DL DVD disk

Thanks

Alternative installation:

1. Get Carbon Copy Cloner. Google is your friend.

2. Get the Leopard DVD.

3. Have CCC make a new image of the leopard dvd, but leave off XCode by unchecking it. Make sure you make the dvd bootable!

4. Burn your new image.

5. Pop it in and install.

That's what I did when I ran it a long time ago.

never mind my request for help.

I got information about reformating my external HD to be able to boot from intel mac.

But if people don't know, you need to reformat your HD to GUID partition if you are running an intel mac. It is done with Disk Utility.

Then you will be able to install by using the OSInstall.mpkg

• 5 months later...
never mind my request for help.

I got information about reformating my external HD to be able to boot from intel mac.

But if people don't know, you need to reformat your HD to GUID partition if you are running an intel mac. It is done with Disk Utility.

Then you will be able to install by using the OSInstall.mpkg

yes, and isn't that totally annoying? I mean, hello?! I have some PowerPC Macs and some Intel Macs and I want to boot Leopard from my external disk when it is plugged to *any* of my Macs!!

I can't understand why this isn't possible!? A bootable disk should be a bootable disk -- regardless of the CPU the computer uses!

just my $0.02

Stefan.

yes, and isn't that totally annoying? I mean, hello?! I have some PowerPC Macs and some Intel Macs and I want to boot Leopard from my external disk when it is plugged to *any* of my Macs!!

I can't understand why this isn't possible!? A bootable disk should be a bootable disk -- regardless of the CPU the computer uses!

just my $0.02

Stefan.

Stefan: New intel macs use GUID partitioning tables, whereas the older PPC macs used a different kind........that's why it can't work

Plus, PPC macs can't boot from USB, and as far as I know, the only way that Intel macs can boot from Firewire is for target disk mode

feel free to correct me if i'm wrong

Alternative installation:

1. Get Carbon Copy Cloner. Google is your friend.

2. Get the Leopard DVD.

3. Have CCC make a new image of the leopard dvd, but leave off XCode by unchecking it. Make sure you make the dvd bootable!

4. Burn your new image.

5. Pop it in and install.

That's what I did when I ran it a long time ago.

Sorry, I'm a beginner...

I got Carbon Copy and managed to make a new image without the Xcode folder.

However, in Disk Utility this new image is 5.9GB large (and the original, yesterday downloaded build 9a410 is 6.1GB large).

post-100212-1176481733_thumb.png

So I suspect that even the smaller image is too large for a 4.7GB dvd..?!

Besides that: how can I be sure or check whether an image is bootable before I burn it with Disk Utility?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Stefan.

Sorry, I'm a beginner...

I got Carbon Copy and managed to make a new image without the Xcode folder.

However, in Disk Utility this new image is 5.9GB large (and the original, yesterday downloaded build 9a410 is 6.1GB large).

post-100212-1176481733_thumb.png

So I suspect that even the smaller image is too large for a 4.7GB dvd..?!

Besides that: how can I be sure or check whether an image is bootable before I burn it with Disk Utility?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Stefan.

Did you empty the trash?

Once it loads, and I get a blue screen, I just hang for about 2 minutes with the grey rotating thingy, then crash. I never see any dialogue, and I get a beachball for a few seconds before the mouse disappears. Anyone know how to fix this?

Easier Tutorial!

Step 1 Get a 4.7GB DVD

Step 2 Take a hammer and smash the 4.7GB DVD

Step 3 get your broke ass to a RadioShack and buy a DL DVD you cheap ass wheenies!

Step 4 Burn, Insert, Install and Enjoy.

Easier Tutorial!

Step 1 Get a 4.7GB DVD

Step 2 Take a hammer and smash the 4.7GB DVD

Step 3 get your broke ass to a RadioShack and buy a DL DVD you cheap ass wheenies!

Step 4 Burn, Insert, Install and Enjoy.

Good luck with that on a Core 1 Duo MacBook Pro, which can't burn dual-layer.

Hello,

I'm trying the first method (with sparseimage).

After removing XcodeTools directory from the leopard.sparseimage, with command-i it says "4,45 Gb on the disk"

But when I create a Single layer DVD sparseimage with diskutily, I have only 4,36 Gb available ...

What can I do ?

Thanks !

I followed T3mur's advice and bought the DL-DVD's and burned them with my external La Cie DL DVDburner. It worked great. The best advice I have read thus far. Allthough beautiful, the 9a410 is clearly still a beta. Not advisable for work.

hi, i tried this but i'm new to this stuff so could someone write me a short but very detailed tutorial on how to do this and exactly what files to choose as source and destination? i believe i am doing something wrong, the furthest i came is trying (i say TRYING) to restore the first image onto the 4.4 gb image, but i get a "An error (22) occurred while copying. (Invalid argument)" failure... both images are empty again after that

thanks

I followed T3mur's advice and bought the DL-DVD's and burned them with my external La Cie DL DVDburner. It worked great. The best advice I have read thus far. Allthough beautiful, the 9a410 is clearly still a beta. Not advisable for work.

See. The man has spoken.

Hey,

I have same problem as someone before me. I have a MacPro and an external USB 2 harddrive. When I mount the image which resides on the main harddrive, I cant install 10.5. Tried with the OSinstall.mpkg but when I should select what drive to install it on it says "You cannot install MacOS X on this volume. MacOS X cannot start up from this volume".

What am I doing wrong? This approach used to work perfectly on 10.4 and I remember using this techniqe on betas of 10.4

Lol I think it's rather interesting as to why you would be installing betas of 10.4 on your thumping new Mac Pro?