Intel HD Graphics + nVidia Card Fix

reubenpeck1

7 posts in this topic

**FIRST OF ALL

If you have a desktop/laptop that supports changing your video card manually in the BIOS for nVidia alone, do this. This will fix your 1024x768, no QE problem and is the easiest way to use your graphics! If you're like me, and you don't have this option...Read on.**

**Secondly

If you don't have an Intel HD chip with a secondary nVidia card, this will not work. The only way that the Intel HD kexts will work is if someone like Netkas ( ;) ) modifies the kexts to always loopback to the Intel Card, effectively killing the nVidia string in the kext.**

I've had quite a few problems with my laptop that uses nVidia Optimus technology, which for all you noobs out there, is basically two video cards: an Intel HD card, and an nVidia card. From what I've seen and read, no one has gotten an Intel HD video card working, even though it's suppose to be supported now due to the MacBook Pro v1.3 update, found here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1364

To boil it down, it seems like these kexts have two requirements that people often miss. If you don't have an nVidia card, most likely it's going to take some kext modding, because these kexts rely on the nVidia card for partial support, and if the nVidia card is missing, then the kext is basically useless without modding.

If you have an nVidia card, but it's not the exact replica of what Apple uses in their MacBook Pro

s, you might be in luck, like me. You can see in my specs at the bottom that I'm using an nVidia GT 420M video card, which isn't like what Apple uses at all. I've been able to install the correct kexts to get a fully working nVidia 420M video card using Tonymac's nVidia update, found here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=238819

The problem that I ran into now was that the Intel HD Integrated Graphics is selected first by my BIOS, which doesn't allow for manual graphics changing. So here's the kill. The Macbook Pro's use the same Intel HD Graphics chip in their laptops as nVidia uses for their Optimus technology, so we get a break here. The way to do is is as follows:

1. Download the Apple MacBook Pro v1.3 software update here: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1026

2. Use Pacifist to Extract the PKG files, and isolate the Intel Graphics Kexts found in the /System/Library/Extensions folder in the PKG. BUT DO NOT INSTALL THEM!!! Alternatively, you can download the Intel HD Kexts by themselves here: http://extraspeed.blogspot.com/2010/04/app...phic-kexts.html

3. I can't talk for other nVidia users, but I am providing a manual for GT 420M users. Install the neccesary patches and kexts for your video card for SL to correctly detect your video card.

4. This is the tricky part. I'm in the process of working on this. If you install the Intel HD kexts before you get your nVidia card detected, your computer will not boot with any flags and here's why: The laptop will finish the boot process correctly, but will not boot to the desktop because the Intel HD card causes an error. I found this out because I did this my first time, and even though the desktop wouldn't load, the power function would work. and all keyboard shortcuts worked. This means that the because the kexts need an nVidia card for support. Ideally, once you get the nVidia card loaded properly and install the Intel HD graphics kexts, the Intel HD card will also load properly, and detect the nVidia Card. This is one way to get the Intel HD graphics kexts working, but it is ONLY for nVidia Optimus cards.

Worst case scenario is that the Intel HD Graphics kexts won't detect the GT 420M card, and you'll need to modify the Kexts to get the correct nVidia hardware ID for your video card. I'll post back once I get test drive finished, which should be later today.

Post your success/fails here so I can increase my knowledge :D

hi!

I have exactly the same problem, that you would like to solve. But! You wrote, that you could make your GT420M working. I tried the install procedure on your link, but my laptop is a DELL L501x not an acer. I made my DSDT but i still can't boot into SL just with GraphicEnabler=No flag, because otherwise I get Nvidia GT420M 0MB line in chameleon and just hangs there, no boot.

Could you help me with this?

Thanks!

Tom

hi!

I have exactly the same problem, that you would like to solve. But! You wrote, that you could make your GT420M working. I tried the install procedure on your link, but my laptop is a DELL L501x not an acer. I made my DSDT but i still can't boot into SL just with GraphicEnabler=No flag, because otherwise I get Nvidia GT420M 0MB line in chameleon and just hangs there, no boot.

Could you help me with this?

Thanks!

Tom

Tom, can you boot into SL with Graphics Enabler=Yes? I've been working overnight, and my most recent accomplishment is to find out that NV_enabler is not a good thing to use with my trackpad because NV_Enabler messes up the mouse and I have to reinstall. At my reinstall point, I had my Video Card correctly detected as an nVidia 420M Mobile with 1024MB of VRAM. You also may be able to find some luck with NVInject 1024. I also got my Video Card correctly detected with the Injector, but no video because of the primary HD graphics.

Once I get back onto a fresh OS, I'll start dissembling the Intel HD kexts to see if they'll need to be modified for the 420M card.

Even though you have a Dell, odds are that since you also have a 420M with Optimus, the Intel HD chipset is going to be the same, same for your Identifier. Still though, go to the System Profiler and go to your nVidia card and report the Numbers you see there please.

hello!

I've got nvidia 310m/intel hd, b560 lenovo laptop. In bios i can choose beetwen intel hd and optimus only. Only natit.kext find my nvidia graphics. When i install intel hd kext, my system freeze. What to do? I've got 10.6.6 mac os. I really want to get working nvidia card, that's the reason I bought this laptop. What to do now? modifay intelhd kext? Can you please explain how to do that. Thanx a lot for your time and testing. Nice to hear that nvidia works for you.

• 1 month later...

Several links, this member has posted only 3 messages are harmful to your PC, be careful, I'll use chrome indicates that, even firefox I think.

The Intel HD works alone without even the nvidia card?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Diversi link che ha postato questo utente con solo 3 messaggi, risultano dannosi per il pc, state attenti, usate chrome che ve lo segnala, anche firefox credo.

La intel HD funziona da sola senza avere anche la scheda nvidia?