What is QE and CI?

li21

20 posts in this topic

thanks for that.

So if QE and CI dont work on PCs with osx installed, would the whole mac experience be severly hampered?

Eg that cool minimize effect where the window looks like its sucked down

Just clearing up a couple things.

1. The minimize effect will still work without QE/CI.

2. Flash movies should be fine if you update flash to the newest version

3. Games won't really work, but movies should be decent with the correct build of VLC or MPlayer (can be found here by searching).

4. QE/CI have basically nothing to do with SSE3 and everything to do with your video card. Currently, Nvidia cards and a few ATI aren't supported, though the recent Mac Pro release should add some Nvidia support. Check the Wiki to see if your card is supported.

I recommend installling even if you don't have QE/CI, since you will find OSX is plenty usable even without them.

Just clearing up a couple things.

1. The minimize effect will still work without QE/CI.

2. Flash movies should be fine if you update flash to the newest version

3. Games won't really work, but movies should be decent with the correct build of VLC or MPlayer (can be found here by searching).

4. QE/CI have basically nothing to do with SSE3 and everything to do with your video card. Currently, Nvidia cards and a few ATI aren't supported, though the recent Mac Pro release should add some Nvidia support. Check the Wiki to see if your card is supported.

I recommend installling even if you don't have QE/CI, since you will find OSX is plenty usable even without them.

thanks for clearing that up:)

• 6 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I dunno abt dat.. but i guess i want a fully working hackintosh.. so.. can sum1 tell me if the Intel HD graphics is supported, or there are kexts 4 it for enabling QE/CI?

i plan to install on a toshiba satellite c650-i5011..

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, that's what MacGirl's image shows, in a post from 2007. The screenshot is from OS X Tiger (blue Apple, old style Dock).

System Profiler does not show that information on Snow Leopard, whether you have QE/CI working or not.

If the Finder menu-bar is transparent, if a water ripple effect appears when you add a desktop widget and if you can zoom in/out on the desktop by holding ctrl while moving the mouse wheel then you have QE/CI.

Someone asked earlier about Intel HD and hardware accelerated graphics. If you want specific information you need to be more specific, there are various models, some work, some don't.

All of you could also consider using the forum search or google and quickly find this information for yourselves instead of digging up threads from 2006 with outdated and obsolete information that evidently only serves to make you more confused.

Snow Leopard is barely usable without hardware accelerated graphics. Many apps will not work, or will show a blank space in the places where they use hardware acceleration to draw something.

• 1 month later...