itunes can't authorize my machine

JuliusWang

23 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

I have been facing the itunes authorization problem for a bit while. It will got to the not responding land if I try to authorize with a itunes account. It passes the communication part, since I tested using a wrong username and pwd. However, once it prompts twice on connecting to apple store, itunes freezes up.

Could anyone point me to a possible solution? I have searched the forum but the en0 trick doesn't help.

Thanks much,

There's more to it than that, OS X needs it to be built-in as well and you need a hardware UUID.

Getting this right used to be a complicated mess with many different solutions, but today Chameleon 2.0 RC5 makes it simple.

Upgrade to Chameleon 2.0 RC5 and set EthernetBuiltIn=y in your /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist.

You can use iFabio's RC5 installer. Use google or the forum search to find it.

Hi Gringo,

Thanks much for the reply. I have installed the RC5 and add the key/string as you suggested into the /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist. However, iTunes still freezes when I try to authorize the machine. Are there any additional steps I should follow to get a UUID? How can I check?

In addition, once I updated to RC5, my Graphics Mode = xxxx doesn't work anymore. Is there any different between RC5 and RC4 that I need to be aware of?

Again, thanks much.

The hardware UUID is pulled from your motherboard DMI tables and injected automatically, you can see it in System Profiler.

The Graphics Mode flag should continue to work, it works for me, always has.

If you want to know more about RC5, read the topic where you downloaded the installer, and this:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=225766

Zip and attach your com.apple.Boot.plist, maybe there's something wrong with it.

I'll have a look at it tomorrow if someone doesn't beat me to it, it's late down here in Brazil.

The hardware UUID is pulled from your motherboard DMI tables and injected automatically, you can see it in System Profiler.

The Graphics Mode flag should continue to work, it works for me, always has.

If you want to know more about RC5, read the topic where you downloaded the installer, and this:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=225766

Zip and attach your com.apple.Boot.plist, maybe there's something wrong with it.

I'll have a look at it tomorrow if someone doesn't beat me to it, it's late down here in Brazil.

Thanks so much. After you pointed out the uuid stuff, I took some reading online, and add more flag to /Extra folder. please see attached as my plist.

[Fixed. I figured that I need to supply a Theme in /Extra. Now Graphics Mode works again~ yay] Also, I think I lost the Chameleon's graphic interface...I had it for my RC4...is there anyway I can get it back?;) Thanks

com.apple.Boot.plist.zip

After several hours fuzzing around with UUID problem. I am still in no luck of fixing it. I have tried the RC5 approach, added systemId to the chameleon, and adding UUID.kext/PlatformUUID.kext and SMBIOS.kext.

Gringo, could you please give me a more systematical approach of fixing this issue? I would be greatly appreciate it.

My rig is a AMD setup with

Model Name: Mac

Model Identifier: MacPro3,1

Processor Name: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+

Processor Speed: 3.02 GHz

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache (per processor): 512 KB

CPU Features: FPU VME DE PSE TSC MSR PAE MCE CX8 APIC SEP MTRR PGE MCA CMOV PAT PSE36 CLFSH MMX FXSR SSE SSE2 HTT SSE3 CX16

Memory: 5 GB

Bus Speed: 100 MHz

Boot ROM Version: MP11.88Z.005C.B08.0707251237 (Apple Computer, Inc.)

Serial Number: CK034KMHK5B

Your com.apple.Boot.plist is completely wrong, EthernetBuiltIn and Graphics Mode are not kernel flags, they are Chameleon configuration settings.

I've fixed it for you.

Instead of using the boot uuid flag (this has nothing to do with your Hardware UUID btw, boot UUID is the UUID of the hard drive you want to boot from), use 'Default Partition' to determine which partition Chameleon will boot after the timeout. I've set the key for you, but the string is empty.

String syntax is hd(x,y) where x is the disk number (relative to where Chameleon is installed - Chameleon always thinks it's on the first drive, disk 0) and y is the partition number on that drive. If your drive is GUID formatted and has an EFI partition, this is partition 1 and your Snow Leopard installation is probably be on partition 2. So, it'll probably something like hd(0,2). If OS X is the only OS on the drive, Chameleon will boot it automatically, so just delete the Default Partition key that I put there.

com.apple.Boot.plist.zip

Don't use any UUID.kext, SMBIOS.kext or Platformwhatever.kext. Please remove them first before booting with this com.apple.Boot.plist. Check /System/Library/Extensions for any SMBIOS Injector kexts or patched AppleSMBIOS.kext, the serial number you're using is from Duvel300's modified version of mac.nub's old AppleSMBIOS-27. You should not be using this at all, please replace it with an original, unmodified AppleSMBIOS.kext.

After booting with this one, do you get a Hardware UUID in system profiler?

Zip and post your /Extra/smbios.plist. Your boot ROM version does not match your model identifier. (MacPro3,1 + MacPro1,1).

Again, I am very appreciative for your help, Gringo. :dev:

I have followed you instructions and replaced the com.apple.Boot.plist in the /Extra folder. I removed the UUID.kext and others from the extension. In addition, I used pacifist to extracted a original APPLESMBIOS.kext for my 10.5.8. The System Profier did change, to the following. Unfortunately, I still didn't see UUID show up.

Hardware Overview:

Model Identifier: 1.0

CPU Features: FPU VME DE PSE TSC MSR PAE MCE CX8 APIC SEP MTRR PGE MCA CMOV PAT PSE36 CLFSH MMX FXSR SSE SSE2 HTT SSE3 CX16

Boot ROM Version: MM21.88Z.009A.B00.0706281359 (Apple Inc.)

Serial Number: Napa Mac

Now, I didn't put SMBIOD.plist for this boot, since I don't really know if I have the correct values in there. Do you think this maybe a fix for this?

Best,

SMBIOS.plist.zip

SMBIOS.plist.zip

Use this one:

MacPro3_1smbios.plist.zip

Please post the Hardware Info from System Profiler so I can check that it's working.

Also run Terminal and type kextstat -k >kextstat.txt

Zip up and attach the resulting kextstat.txt (it's in your user folder) here as well.

Since you're on 10.5.8, make sure you are using the Qoopz 9.8.0 Voodoo Kernel from this topic:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=209192

Type uname -a in Terminal and post the output here.

Use this one:

MacPro3_1smbios.plist.zip

Please post the Hardware Info from System Profiler so I can check that it's working.

Also run Terminal and type kextstat -k >kextstat.txt

Zip up and attach the resulting kextstat.txt (it's in your user folder) here as well.

Since you're on 10.5.8, make sure you are using the Qoopz 9.8.0 Voodoo Kernel from this topic:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=209192

Type uname -a in Terminal and post the output here.

Hi Gringo,

Thanks so much! I took the smbios.plist and put it into the /Extra/ folder, and here is the changes: not UUID still, but Serial Number changed:

Boot ROM Version: MP31.88Z.006C.B05.0802291410 (Apple Inc.)

Serial Number: Mac Pro

I have attached the kextstat.txt here. And also, I am using the Qoopz kernel:

Darwin MAKOPro.local 9.8.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.8.0: Tue Aug 11 12:57:32 AST 2009; Based on Voodoo :xnu-1228.15.4/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386

Best, and thanks so much!

kextstat.txt.zip

The smbios.plist is not being applied, something else is writing those values there, I don't think your AppleSMBIOS.kext is original.

This is an original AppleSMBIOS.kext from 10.5.8:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=72554

(It's a direct link to the file attached to the 2nd post of this topic: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=209712 )

Drop it in /System/Library/Extensions, overwriting the one that's there. Type your password when prompted.

Drag /System/Library/Extensions/OpenHaltRestart.kext to the trash (Chameleon 2.0 RC5 has the restart fix built in)

Run Terminal.app and fix permissions on everything in the extensions folder like this:

sudo -s (type your password and press enter)
chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/
chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/
exit

Drag /System/Library/Extensions.mkext to the trash (this is the extensions cache, it will be rebuilt automatically)

Then reboot.

Let me know if anything changes in System Profiler.

Question: Is your LAN working fine? I can see there are drivers loaded for it. The EN0 fix you talked about earlier, what did that consist of?

Did you modify something? If so, you need to reverse the changes you made.

Run Console.app, save a copy of kernel.log, zip it and attach it here.

Hi Gringo,

I followed your instruction and removed the AppleBIOS with the original one, changed the privileges, and reboot. The Profiler is still somewhat the same. I agree with you that the smbios.plist doesn't seem to be loaded. Is there any other reasons can cause this?

Hardware Overview:

Memory: 2 GB

Boot ROM Version: MP31.88Z.006C.B05.0802291410 (Apple Inc.)

Serial Number: Mac Pro

I am using NVLanEnabler 0.6.5 to have my LAN working.

Thanks!!

system.log.zip

Owww my eyes! I asked you to post kernel.log, not system.log. And wow, now you have 2GB RAM instead of 5. I wonder why that is.

Anyway, it looks to me like Chameleon 2.0 RC5 was not correctly installed on your system, and you're still using an older version of Chameleon. That would explain why smbios.plist is not working, it was not supported before 2.0 RC5.

I need to know what's in your /Extra/Extensions folder.

Also post the output from diskutil list - I can help you install Chameleon manually so we can rule this out, it seems the installer didn't work for you or you didn't choose the right options when you ran it.

Owww my eyes! I asked you to post kernel.log, not system.log. And wow, now you have 2GB RAM instead of 5. I wonder why that is.

Anyway, it looks to me like Chameleon 2.0 RC5 was not correctly installed on your system, and you're still using an older version of Chameleon. That would explain why smbios.plist is not working, it was not supported before 2.0 RC5.

I need to know what's in your /Extra/Extensions folder.

Also post the output from diskutil list - I can help you install Chameleon manually so we can rule this out, it seems the installer didn't work for you or you didn't choose the right options when you ran it.

Sorry for the syslog.:( haha. I have 6gn of Ram installed, however, leopard on my machine only allows me to access 5.5Gb. Anything beyond that will lead to a blue screen when start up...;)

You are right. I started this build with ideneb 1.6 lite, which comes with a chameleon. How could I remove all this?

I have attached the Extension here, and disk util.

/dev/disk0

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *931.5 Gi disk0

1: EFI 200.0 Mi disk0s1

2: Apple_HFS Untitled 931.2 Gi disk0s2

/dev/disk1

0: GUID_partition_scheme *698.6 Gi disk1

1: EFI 200.0 Mi disk1s1

2: Apple_HFS MAKOPro 698.3 Gi disk1s2

/dev/disk2

0: FDisk_partition_scheme *465.8 Gi disk2

1: Windows_NTFS System Reserved 100.0 Mi disk2s1

2: Windows_NTFS JNEST-SUPER 465.7 Gi disk2s2

Thanks much.

Extensions.rtf.zip

:( Holy {censored} what a mess, do you really have all those kernel extensions in /Extra/Extensions? How did they get in there?

Delete the AppleSMBIOS.kext that's there, reboot and check System Profiler again.

Please post kernel.log that I asked for as well.

Not sure if I'm reading the output from Diskutil right, do you have two OS X installations on two separate drives?

Or is the drive with the 'untitled' partition just a data drive?

Which one of those drives are you booting from, disk0 or disk1? I assume disk1.

What is the order of the drives in the BIOS? This does not necessarily match the order as it is seen by Diskutil and OS X.

It's possible that you've installed Chameleon to the EFI partition on the wrong drive and (apart from your 1 million kernel extensions in /Extra/Extensions) that's why we're still doing this.

(Third drive obviously has Windows 7 on it, which is not important)

Holy {censored} what a mess, do you really have all those kernel extensions in /Extra/Extensions?

Please post kernel.log that I asked for as well.

Not sure if I'm reading the output from Diskutil right, do you have two OS X installations on two separate drives?

Or is the drive with the 'untitled' partition just a data drive?

Which one of those drives are you booting from, disk0 or disk1?

It's possible that you've installed Chameleon to the EFI partition on the wrong drive!

(Third drive obviously has Windows 7 on it, which is not important)

No no... All the extensions are in /System/Library/Extensions. None of them are in the /Extra folder.

I am booting from the disk1s2 MAKOPro. How can I find a concise kernel.log?

Thanks!

No no... All the extensions are in /System/Library/Extensions. None of them are in the /Extra folder.

I asked, very clearly, for the contents of /Extra/Extensions.

Please understand that I cannot help you if you work against me and/or don't do what I ask. It kind of takes the fun out of it for me.

If you don't have an Extensions folder in /Extra, then great, that's one less thing to worry about.

I am booting from the disk1s2 MAKOPro.

Is Chameleon installed to the EFI partition or to your system partition? Check for a file named boot at the root of the drive.

Diskutil does not tell us if the EFI partition has been initialized, you're going to have to try mounting it to find out if there's anything there.

How can I find a concise kernel.log?

Additionally, I cannot help you if you don't pay attention to what I say.

I've already told you where to get kernel.log.

I asked, very clearly, for the contents of /Extra/Extensions.

Please understand that I cannot help you if you work against me and/or don't do what I ask. It kind of takes the fun out of it for me.

If you don't have an Extensions folder in /Extra, then great, that's one less thing to worry about.

Is Chameleon installed to the EFI partition or to your system partition? Check for a file named boot at the root of the drive.

Diskutil does not tell us if the EFI partition has been initialized, you're going to have to try mounting it to find out if there's anything there.

Additionally, I cannot help you if you don't pay attention to what I say.

I've already told you where to get kernel.log.

Hi Gringo,

Sorry I have misunderstood you for the Extensions. My apologies. For the kernel.log, I have looked at Console.app several times, but can't find a log named as Kernel.log. That's why I was asking if you could point me to somewhere more specific. Finder maybe? Sorry again for this.

I have check the root, and there is indeed a boot file.

Thanks,

I have looked at Console.app several times, but can't find a log named as Kernel.log.

Hmm I don't remember but I guess it's possible that 10.5.x doesn't have a kernel.log..??

Try this, in the Finder click Go, Go to Folder, paste /private/var/log and click Go.

Do you see a kernel.log?

Hmm I don't remember but I guess it's possible that 10.5.x doesn't have a kernel.log..??

Try this, in the Finder click Go, Go to Folder, paste /private/var/log and click Go.

Do you see a kernel.log?

I guess so... I looked into the folder you mentioned, there is no kernel.log either. That's why I send the system.log to you. I think the only way I can filter all the kernel msg is from console.app and filter with keyword kernel.

Would you suggest I reinstall the system again for this matter? maybe I should just remove chameleon option when installing the system...?

Thanks, man.

post-55318-1294541041_thumb.png

My fault for assuming 10.5.8 has a kernel.log. At least I got to see your shopping habits in system.log. :P make sure to buy a motherboard with Intel chipset and an Intel CPU next time!

If you reinstall without installing Chameleon you won't be able to boot.

For now, try installing Chameleon 2.0 manually rather than using the installer. Make sure you don't install it to the EFI partition, install it to your system partition so that you overwrite the version that's already there.

There are files and instructions posted at the bottom of iFabio's installer topic here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=231075

If you reinstall without installing Chameleon you won't be able to boot.

For now, try installing Chameleon 2.0 manually rather than using the installer. Make sure you don't install it to the EFI partition, install it to your system partition so that you overwrite the version that's already there.

There are files and instructions posted at the bottom of iFabio's installer topic here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=231075

Got it. I am trying it now and will report back asap. Thanks for your patience.