Small bootloader problem tri boot osx-xp-linux

Freecat68

7 posts in this topic

Hi everyone thanks to this great site and several others I have been able to get hazard OSX client/server installed and running perfectly on my AMD machine. I also have unbuntu linux installed as well as windows xp, each on a different hard drive.

Motherboard-- msi 770-g45

CPU--AMD athlon X4 3.0GHz 640

RAM-- 2GB Kingston DDR3 1600

Network--realtek 8139 pci

Video-- BFG Nvidia gxt260 PCIE 896GB GDDR3

Chameleon RC3 PC EFI 10.5

Now here is my problem.

Chameleon boots OSX fine

Chameleon sees Win xp but when I try to boot it all I get is a black screen with a flashing cursor

Chamelon boots Grub ok when linux is selected and grub boots linux ok (btw grub is installed on the main linux partition).

To boot XP I have to choose the linux partition in chameleon then boot windows from grub (this starts xp just fine).

The boot order in the bios is osx, windows, linux

The hard drives are plugged into osx sata 1, windows sata 2, linux sata3

Does anyone know how to get chameleon to boot the windows drive directly? Just let me know if there is any other information I can post to help diagnose this issue.

Thanks in advance

Freecat =:)=

Hi Mucha090

Thanks for the fast reply. The grub version that I am using is 1.98-1ubuntu8 and it is on the main linux partition @ /dev/sdc1, the partition is formatted ext4.

The windows and OSX boot-loaders are in their default locations.

freecat

Hi mucha090

Chameleon is the default loader. I am trying to get chameleon to load windows xp, grub will only be used to boot linux. What I need to know is how to correct the chameleon boot entries to get chameleon to boot windows correctlly. Chameleon sees windows but boots to a black screen with flashing cursor.

Thanks

freecat

Hi mucha090

Chameleon is the default loader. I am trying to get chameleon to load windows xp, grub will only be used to boot linux. What I need to know is how to correct the chameleon boot entries to get chameleon to boot windows correctlly. Chameleon sees windows but boots to a black screen with flashing cursor.

Thanks

freecat

I guess..

1st : remove Ubuntu

or

2nd:

Install OSX at last so chameleon would come first..

3rd :

1st try with EasyBCD...(the idea is to manage boot queues..aka boot loader)

if success no problem

2nd remove Ubuntu n try easy bcd..

But he wanna to boot linux (and other os to) not delete him. My idea is simple: If you wanna to have triboot do as I did.

Install GRUB2 (or BURG (BURG and GRUB2 are the same boot loader but burg ale look nicer :))) and paste to /boot/grub/grub.cfg (org burg.cfg located in /boot/burg/) that mac menuentry who just make that grub will boot chameleon bootloader, this menuentry are from http://maketecheasier.com/create-a-mac-ent...rub2/2010/02/12 :

menuentry "MacOS X Snow Leopard" {
	insmod hfsplus
	set root=(hd0,X) #change X to the Mac SL partition
	multiboot /boot
}

P.S

GRUB2 install solution:

1. You must know where is linux partition (ex. sda1).

2. Open a terminal and type this

sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/

3. If you have an /boot/ (ex. sda2) partition then type

sudo mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/boot/

4. In terminal:

sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt/ /dev/sda

5. And You installed grub2 ;)