Lenovo T410

launchcontrol

18 posts in this topic

Just a quick install guide for anyone with a Lenovo T410

(I have the one with the Intel graphics and i5 520M processor)

I had success using ModCD - which is probably the easiest OS X install I have done to date as there was no need to install any kexts manually).

Some initials checks...

- know your busratio for your processor at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel....22_.2832_nm.29 (for me, the i5 520M is 18 under the Mult column) **this is important**

- be sure in your BIOS under Config > SATA > Mode Option is set to AHCI

1. Download nawcom's ModCD (as of this writing, it's v0.3) and burn to a CD

Link: http://prasys.info/2010/10/nawcom-modcd-v0-3-is-out/

2. Boot up laptop using the ModCD (btw, it supports installing to a MBR partition, so if you installed Windows already to one partition, you're good to install OS X to another partition and use boot manager to choose which to boot)

3. At the menu screen, eject the ModCD, place the retail version of OS X (i've used 10.6.3) and press F5 to refresh the screen.

4. IMPORTANT: before selecting to boot up the OS X disc, type busratio=18 (where 18 is your busratio)

5. For me, any supported hardward was auto-recognized and installed kexts for LAN and Audio.

What works/tested:

Screen resolution: 1280x800 (set in the com.apple.Boot.plist file under \Extra )

LAN

Audio (mute, +/- buttons works)

WebCam

Update: Display Port (works when booting up to external screen, but not when within osx)

What does not work

WiFi

eSata

SD Memory Card Reader

Intel 5700MHD - AMT Graphics no - full acceleration with QE/CI

5. Be sure to edit your com.apple.Boot.plist file under \Extra and set the Kernel Flag to busratio=18 (otherwise you will need to type this every time you boot into OS X).

Misc

Assigning screen shots to the Prnt Scrn (Print Screen) keyboard key

www.dailyblogged.com/assigning-scre...n-keyboard-key/

Preference pane that dynamically sets the sleep state of your machine (or even to disable)

www.jinx.de/SmartSleep.html

I've attached my entire Extra folder for anyone's convenience - which also includes my own slightly modified Theme for those also with more than one OS installed - see attached for a preview.

UPDATE (4/16/2011)

ModCD v0.3.1 is available with some improvements. (also a usb solution is available too now)

http://blog.nawcom.com/?p=446

post-69165-1290741127_thumb.jpg

Extra_folder_from_T410_10.6.3.zip

• Like 3

Thanks for this very useful guide. I'm currently running OS X 10.6.5 on my T61 and very pleased that virtually everything works well (including the SD card reader using the voodooSDHC kext). Only thing I'm still trying to get to fully work is the sleep on lid close.

Just a couple of questions: I'm assuming you have full video acceleration with QE/CI? Is the trackpad fully functional with two finger scrolling - and also the trackpoint? Does it sleep on lid close? How is the battery life under OS X?

As you can see - I'm thinking of trading in my T61 for the T410 :P

Many thanks.

Hallo,

What model is your videocard? Intel or Nvidia?

Sincerely,

J.D. Cordero

Just a quick install guide for anyone with a Lenovo T410

(I have the one with the Intel graphics and i5 520M processor)

I had success using ModCD - which is probably the easiest OS X install I have done to date as there was no need to install any kexts manually).

Some initials checks...

- know your busratio for your processor at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel....22_.2832_nm.29 (for me, the i5 520M is 18 under the Mult column) **this is important**

- be sure in your BIOS under Config > SATA > Mode Option is set to AHCI

1. Download nawcom's ModCD (as of this writing, it's v0.3) and burn to a CD

Link: http://prasys.info/2010/10/nawcom-modcd-v0-3-is-out/

2. Boot up laptop using the ModCD (btw, it supports installing to a MBR partition, so if you installed Windows already to one partition, you're good to install OS X to another partition and use boot manager to choose which to boot)

3. At the menu screen, eject the ModCD, place the retail version of OS X (i've used 10.6.3) and press F5 to refresh the screen.

4. IMPORTANT: before selecting to boot up the OS X disc, type busratio=18 (where 18 is your busratio)

5. For me, any supported hardward was auto-recognized and installed kexts for LAN and Audio.

What works/tested:

Screen resolution: 1280x800 (set in the com.apple.Boot.plist file under \Extra )

LAN

Audio (mute, +/- buttons works)

WebCam

What does not work

WiFi

eSata

Display Port

SD Memory Card Reader

5. Besure to edit your com.apple.Boot.plist file under \Extra and set the Kernel Flag to busratio=18 (otherwise you will need to type this every time you boot into OS X).

I've attached my entire Extra folder for anyone's convenience - which also includes my own slightly modified Theme - see attached for a preview.

Thanks for this very useful guide. I'm currently running OS X 10.6.5 on my T61 and very pleased that virtually everything works well (including the SD card reader using the voodooSDHC kext). Only thing I'm still trying to get to fully work is the sleep on lid close.

Just a couple of questions: I'm assuming you have full video acceleration with QE/CI? Is the trackpad fully functional with two finger scrolling - and also the trackpoint? Does it sleep on lid close? How is the battery life under OS X?

Hi yahboo-

I tried getting the SD card reader to work following this guide by prasys, but no luck. With the Intel graphics card on both my previous T400 and currently T410, video does not get full acceleration with QE/CI. When buying, choose the one with nvidia graphics for any luck. Trackpad works, but no two finger scrolling/zooming as that feature requires software even in Windows. Trackpoint does not work natively (haven't tried to get it working either to know if it can work).

Connecting a displayport to DVI cable to my external monitor on boot up does work (laptop screen goes blank), but it's limited to 1600x1200 resolution max (unfortunately my external screen is 1920x1200).

Battery life is good, don't notice a difference when switching between XP or OS X.

For sleepmode use sleepenabler, but I have no need for it so haven't tried.

javiercordero20-

In your signature, you list having the Quadro NVS 3100M graphics card, do you get full acceleration with QE/CI?

To answer your question with more info, yes, my T410 has the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 5700MHD - AMT.

Trackpad works, but no two finger scrolling/zooming as that feature requires software even in Windows. Trackpoint does not work natively (haven't tried to get it working either to know if it can work).

Thanks very much for those additional details launchcontrol - I finally got sleep on lid close working using LidSleep.kext.

Regarding the two finger scrolling and trackpoint, you might want to try the kext available from the link below - I have 2 finger scrolling and a working trackpoint on my T61:

http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=86059

Let us know if it works!

Cheers.

Thanks very much for those additional details launchcontrol - I finally got sleep on lid close working using LidSleep.kext.

Regarding the two finger scrolling and trackpoint, you might want to try the kext available from the link below - I have 2 finger scrolling and a working trackpoint on my T61:

http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=86059

Let us know if it works!

Cheers.

I tried installing another SleepEnabler.kext and on reboot my trackpad and buttons stopped working :whistle:

Removing the kext from my /Extra/Extensions folder didn't make it work again. Odd, I tried inserting the ThinkpadUltraNav.kext, but I think it won't work until I get my trackpad working again.

• 3 months later...

Did you ever try or were you successful upgrading to 10.6.6? Every time I try when I reboot I get the circle with the line through it on the silver apple screen.

Great post BTW, I was able to get 10.6.3 on my T410 loaded on a Patriot 16gb drive with XTBoost in one try.

I need 10.6.6 to install XCode so I can develop on the road on my company laptop without having to carry two laptops.

I needed the USB stick to install to b/c our HD are encrypted.

• 3 weeks later...
Did you ever try or were you successful upgrading to 10.6.6? Every time I try when I reboot I get the circle with the line through it on the silver apple screen.

No, I haven't tried upgrading yet. That symbol usually means OS X had a kernel panic. You can try copying and overwriting your kernel with Prasys' kernel (from http://prasys.info/2011/01/10-6-6-legacy-kernel-is-out/) to see if that works in the root directory. Do you have Windows also installed as the same hd? ..this would make replacing the kernel file easy with say MacDrive installed.

Did you follow any upgrading guide before running the update? (they usually have a number of precautions and steps to do before and after the upgrade...I just noticed on Prasys page with the 10.6.6 kernel he created a package to run immediately after running the update [before rebooting] to replace the kernel). You can try using the ModCD to do a repair as well. Hope this helps, and sorry if it doesn't..I find updating OSX on hackintosh a hit or miss.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

First of all, please use [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] or create with your second pc with os x a [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] Stick.

After this you are able to boot os x with an actuall bootloader. If this doesn't help, deactivate the NIC in your BIOS.

It looks like that the kext for the nic is stopping the boot process,

Ok folks as I see for T410/410i hardware part is identical to T510/510i , only screen differs and of course if you have Intel HD graphics you will not be able to use any kind of QE/CI acceleration.

So you can follow my guide for T510 and use most of kext for your T410 models except WLAN and DSDT. WLAN is not problem, just find replacement and flash whitelisted bios - mydigitallife.com will help with it. DSDT patches could be seen in my post, in post of ghotics860 for w520 and in post of theaussiepea about advanced edits for t510.

So get USB flash installation and go on. I can help a bit if any question.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

10.6.6's working !!!

How to...

0/ Download this pack

1/ burn Nawcom’s BootCD on a working mac and download Kext Wizard

2/ start T410 with the Nawcom’s BootCD in DVD & press F12, select dvd to boot (it will boot on the Nawcom’s BootCD)

3/ when Nawcom’s bootloader is ready, eject cd, insert snow leopard disk 10.6.3 wait few seconds then press F5

press space, key 'busratio=18' Enter. It start to boot (it create a new install.pkg for hackintosh on the HD)

press any key when asked

4/ snow leopard boot (with the previous created new installer)

5/ select language, in menu Utilities, disk Utilities format the hd (1 partition hfs+ journaled) GUID, quit disk utilities

6/ install (special option "CUSTOM OPTIONS" are available in the installer due to the previous created new installer )

i didn't change any "CUSTOM OPTIONS"

7/ wait the end of the install

8/ personnalize your new Hackintosh (name...)

9/ launch Kext Wizard (repair) all boxes checked

reboot

10.6.3 is ok and ready :-)

As written here, i did not use the Extras delivered in previous post

i only use Nawcom’s BootCD

----

Going now to 10.6.6...

10/ Download 10.6.6 combo

11/ Copy IOUSBFamily.kext and IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext (S/L/E) on Desktop

12/ Install 10.6.6 combo (Do not restart now)

13/ before rebooting move all AppleIntelHDGraphics*.kext from S/L/E, move AppleHDA.kext too

14/ replace IOUSBFamily.kext and IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext (S/L/E) with the previous ones (on Desktop)

(if you do not do that, USB port won't work on 10.6.6)

15/ in Terminal : sudo mv /legacy_kernel /legacy_kernel_old

16/ replace boot, legacy_kernel file, Extra with the ones in T410 pack

17/ launch Kext Wizard (repair) all boxes checked

18/ reboot

10.6.6 is ok and ready :-)

---

update :

a suggestion:

1. Move all kexts in E/E to S/L/E.

2. Create your mkext using the following in terminal:

sudo kextcache -v 1 -a i386 -a x86_64 -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext -z /System/Library/Extensions/

3. Delete the mkext and backup from Extra.

4. In your org.chameleon.boot.plist, set the following under kernel flags:

UseKernelCache=Yes

----

10.7.3 ok :-) How to ASAP...

Thanks to : Erdbeeere, joshhh, gothic860, lauchcontrol who helped me for this T410

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Could you give us crash log?

succeed!!!

burn Nawcom’s BootCD on a working mac

then

1/ boot T410 with the Nawcom’s BootCD in DVD & press F12, select dvd to boot (it will boot on the Nawcom’s BootCD)

2/ when Nawcom’s bootloader is ready

eject cd, insert snow leopard disk 10.6.3 wait few seconds then press F5

press space, key 'busratio=18' Enter

it start to boot (it create a new install.pkg for hackintosh on the HD)

press any key when asked

snow leopard boot (with the previous created new installer)

select language

then in menu Utilities, disk Utilities

format the hd (1 partition hfs+ journaled) GUID

quit disk utilities

install (special option "CUSTOM OPTIONS" are available in the installer due to the previous created new installer )

i didn't change any "CUSTOM OPTIONS"

wait the end of the install

personnlize your new Hackintosh (name...)

reboot when finished

10.6.3 is ok and ready

:-)

As written here, i did not use the Extras delivered in previous post

i only use Nawcom’s BootCD

---

update :

can't go further

it's a pain and the neck to update!!!!

now trying to update to 10.6.7 or 8

try both combo 10.6.8 and .7 .dmg installer but kernel panic while installing (before the end)

i had to reinstall in each case

i try this http://prasys.info/?s=boot

download MacOSX 10.6.8 Combo Updater

Download nawcom’s legacy kernel

move legacy_kernel-10.6.8 to root (/)

sudo mv /legacy_kernel /legacy_kernel_old

sudo mv /legacy_kernel-10.6.8 /legacy_kernel

while 10.6.8 install :

sudo mv /mach_kernel /mach_kernel_old

after mach_kernel appear

(crash before end of 10.6.8 install)

---

trying to reboot with no sucess

help or advice are welcome for updating from genuine 10.6.3

-----

i tried :

- regae method dvd..

- rbootLe

- myhack

for 10.6.6 or /7, 10.7...

grr

10.7.3 on my T410 i5 520m+HD5700
0/ download this pack :
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?6xcboju7rbf6x7b
1/ from the working 10.6.6 HD, split the HD in 2 partitions (with modified Assistant Boot camp) 30 Go for example
2/ reformat the 2nd partition with disk utilities (hfs+ journaled) named 10.7.3
3/ restore a virgin 10.7.3 to that partition (a fresh installed 10.7.3 created on an other mac for example) Carbon copy cloner is your friend.
this way you still have the working 10.6.6 OS
4/ manully install Chameleon :
X should be the same anywhere for example 0, Yshould be the same anywhere for example 2
- Open Terminal, cd to the i386 folder inside the Bootloader folder.
- Type diskutil list to show the HDD's partitions.
- Type sudo newfs_hfs /dev/diskXs1 (1 is the number of the EFI partition. X should be the nimber of the disk 10.7.3 volume : 0 for example).
- Type sudo ./fdisk440 -f boot0 -u -y /dev/disk0 to install boot0 to MBR [Master Boot Record].
- Type sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXsY (2 is the number of the HFS partition) to copy boot1h to your Mac partition. 
- Type cp boot /Volumes/10.7.3 or simply drag and drop the boot file into your root directory.
- Type the following sequence: sudo ./fdisk440 -e /dev/diskX" & "f Y" & "write" & "y" & "exit" which will make the partition 2 active.

5/ move the known incompatible kexts from S/L/E to desktop (partition 10.7.3) :

in Terminal, sudo su (password) then
rm -rf /Volumes/10.7.3/System/Library/Extensions/AppleAPIC.kext
rm -rf /Volumes/10.7.3/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext
and all AppleIntelHD kexts

rm -rf /Volumes/10.7.3/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHD3000Graphics.kext
rm -rf /Volumes/10.7.3/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHD3000GraphicsGA.plugin
rm -rf /Volumes/10.7.3/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHD3000GraphicsGLDriver.bundle
rm -rf /Volumes/10.7.3/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHD3000GraphicsVADriver.bundle
rm -rf /Volumes/10.7.3/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHDGraphics.kext
rm -rf /Volumes/10.7.3/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext
rm -rf /Volumes/10.7.3/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHDGraphicsGA.plugin
rm -rf /Volumes/10.7.3/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHDGraphicsGLDriver.bundle
rm -rf /Volumes/10.7.3/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHDGraphicsVADriver.bundle

5/ install the provided T410_Lion_10.7.3 pack (Extras, boot fil) on the 10.7.3 partition (root level).
boot file is already in root level 
Move all kexts in E/E to S/L/E. launch Kext Wizard (repair) all boxes checked
reboot on rbootLE CD :
http://www.tonymacx86.com/C:Dq-OCPpT/rBoot-LE-1.2.0.zip
6/ install the provided 2nd Extra folder on the 10.7.3 partition
Move all kexts in E/E to S/L/E. launch Kext Wizard (repair) all boxes checked

7/ Create your mkext using the following in terminal:
sudo kextcache -v 1 -a i386 -a x86_64 -m /Volumes/10.7.3/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext -z /Volumes/10.7.3/System/Library/Extensions/
In your org.chameleon.boot.plist, set the following under kernel flags: UseKernelCache=Yes

We are now able to boot on the 2nd partition (10.7.3) reboot, press space and choice partition 2
finish the installation with an external keybord if needed.

10.7.3 is there on your T410
wifi is not working cos we have no driver
next step finding help for dsdt.aml for my t410, HD5700
triple boot

• Like 1

• 2 years later...