What should AMD users do?

dawiinci

8 posts in this topic

I installed SL some computers with AMD and it works but I still experienced some issues. Can someone help me out what has to be done on an AMD so that I can be sure to have everything working?

What i already did:

• Bootloader Chameleon 2 RC4
  • legacy_kernel_10.4.pkg (should also patch CPUID?)
  • Extra/Extensions: OpenHaltRestart.kext, AppleViaATA.kext, FakeSMC.kext
  • … more?

Installation Log

Then I have heard of dyld patching. What is dyld? When, why and how? I don’t find information about it. :)

CPUID patching should be done by legacy_kernel_10.4.pkg and should even be working on the fly in 10.5. But if so, why Spotlight and Safari (QT Plugin) crashes. Is this related to dyld, to CPUID or to something else?

Thanks for the input. Yes, actually that’s what I did before, but I didn’t want to patch it manually on this installation because it should be done by the package installer. It’s just easier that way so I don’t have to care after every major update.

iPhoto and iTunes work, so it should have patched properly - maybe just partially. But this could also be because I ran the 10.4 package on 10.6.5. That’s where the confusion begins. :D

I actually used Marvin's AMD utility. I'm still in the learning stage of a lot of stuff, but starting to figure out what does what and how and why.

I tried this utility but it didn’t work because it produced errors. I had to specify the files to patch. This worked but was not very "easy to use“. I really hope that 10.5 brings us the promise on-the-fly-CPUID-patching.

I installed SL some computers with AMD and it works but I still experienced some issues. Can someone help me out what has to be done on an AMD so that I can be sure to have everything working?

What i already did:

• Bootloader Chameleon 2 RC4
  • legacy_kernel_10.4.pkg (should also patch CPUID?)
  • Extra/Extensions: OpenHaltRestart.kext, AppleViaATA.kext, FakeSMC.kext
  • … more?

Installation Log

Then I have heard of dyld patching. What is dyld? When, why and how? I don’t find information about it. :)

CPUID patching should be done by legacy_kernel_10.4.pkg and should even be working on the fly in 10.5. But if so, why Spotlight and Safari (QT Plugin) crashes. Is this related to dyld, to CPUID or to something else?

This guy has a great post for AMD retail installs, 10.6.5 update & post install instructions, and he's constantly updating:

AMD and Retail Snow Leopard 10.6.5 [GUIDE]