Cannot even load DVD install without kernel panic. Help Please.

EpithetMusic

8 posts in this topic

I've been doing Hackintosh's since Jas back in the day. But this scene changes a lot and NO ONE EVER TALKS ABOUT THE EVOLUTION!!!!

I use to just throw in a Distro and through trial and error got my machine working. But now you have boot cd's and EFI and bootloaders but no one talks about which ones to use or which ones aren't needed anymore or which ones do what.

What does the EFI do? Why do I need it? Which one do I use?

What does the bootloader do? Why do I need it? Which one do I use?

My system is:

AMD Phenom X4 9950 Black Edition

Asus M4A78 Pro

AMD 780G Revision 00 Northbridge

AMD SB700 Revision 00 Southbridge

ATI Radeon HD 4670

Corsair 2GB x2

IDE 80GB hard drive

I tried to use the nawcom Mod CD and a Retail 10.6.3 dvd. I get kernel panic when trying to install. I have changed my bios options around and finally got it to install. I used it for a while and rebooted by mistake before I could finish. It wouldn't boot up again and now won't install like before.

I have to install from DVD. That is the only option I have. I just need to know what my install options are for a successful install. Also is AMD 64bit possible? These questions are never clear. The info changes way too much.

Here are some boot error pics

iphone111.jpgiphone112.jpg

iphone113.jpg

What does the EFI do? Why do I need it? Which one do I use?
EFI. In short EFI is a replacement of BIOS. BIOS on PC, EFI on Mac. You only need it on a PC to use OS X. OS X needs this to work (emulated EFI or real). If you talk about Empire EFI, it is a boot CD that creates a pre boot EFI environment on your PC thus enables booting from a retail OS X DVD (it won't be possible without EFI environment). As any pre boot CD contains some list of drivers and/or kernels. You need the one that has all needed drivers for your hardware. Also, as you have AMD, a patched kernel must be used. So if it is an Empire EFI, the it should be a legacy version.
What does the bootloader do? Why do I need it? Which one do I use?
As per name, it loads the OS. In case of boot loader for OS X it also does some additional stuff apart pure boot loading. For now the most popular is Chameleon boot loader (and all other Chameleon based boot loaders). Without the boot loader OS X will not boot on a PC.

Honestly I knew a lot of that already. I just don't understand why there are so many options and there is nothing describing the differences. Now what I don't understand is why I should use Empire EFI when I used nawcom Mod CD. It's suppose to replace Empire EFI.

I'm going to try Hazard 10.6.2 and Empire EFI and [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and whatever until I figure it out. Anyone know why I can't boot the installer from the pictures? It worked once then never again.

I have a feeling I might have a BIOS setting issue but I'm getting CPU kernel panic. Someone shine some light on this. I tried Empire EFI r2 and Empire EFI Legacy. Both give the same exact kernel panic. I've never had such a problem just getting to the dvd install screen.

photo4.jpg

photo5.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo.jpg

Are you sure OS X can be installed on an AMD processor. I remember there being a special patch to run 10.5 on AMD.

Just my $0.02.

Good Luck!

Indiana

Yes. I am sure. Have you heard of Empire EFI? Also my old Distro's are not working either. iDeneb 10.5.5, Kalyway 10.5.1, ect.

Some updates. I got 10.6.3 retail to install using the nawcom Mod CD again using -x but after install screen goes black before booting into OS. restart with nawcom Mod CD causes same cpu kernel panic. restart with Chameleon bootloader that nawcom Mod CD installed causes black screen before OS boot.

I also tried the Hazard OS X 10.6.2 distro. Just before boot it causes a boot loop.

I'm at a loss. I have no idea what to do. Tried booting with -x in all situations as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Hehe, welcome to the reliability of this forum :) I just saw this link when I was googling some stuff.

That issue you're seeing with my CD traces back to issues with the PS2 kext, which I've seen on a number of AMD systems. I think it's mostly been on SB700-based motherboards. SB600 doesn't seem to have issues, nor Nforce based motherboards. My suggestion is to try 4 or 5 times to boot, and you should make it past it. A solution you can try is to use an older ApplePS2Controller kext, after you've installed the OS.

The CD is still good, it just may take a few times to get past that kp. I say this from experience of dealing with this same issue on my SB700 system. (I then bought a cheap USB keyboard so I don't deal with it anymore).

If you need more help, nag at me on IRC. irc.osx86.hu #snowleopard - I'll need you to explain more of the situation, if you did successfully install, yet can't boot up.