Ati mobility 5470 working in screen sharing

Elf89

15 posts in this topic

Hi everybody! time ago i tried to make work my laptop card without success...yesterday i decided to test again my card installing ati5000controller atiframebuffer atisupport. the result is the loading screen with non moving rolling circle; anyway the volume control was working and i tried to connect the ipod via vnc to my laptop screen sharing). so i was able to access to my home screen and i noticed that i had 5 choices about resolution; moreover the only kext not loaded was atifb.. i think that the impossibility to get to the home screen is caused by the missing loading of atifb, so i red a lot of posts where were talking about trying different framebuffers, uakari, velvet, megalodon: i saw in atifb's info.plist a list of settings about uakari velvet and others so how can i switch between different framebuffers trying one by one??? thanks!

Hi everybody! time ago i tried to make work my laptop card without success...yesterday i decided to test again my card installing ati5000controller atiframebuffer atisupport. the result is the loading screen with non moving rolling circle; anyway the volume control was working and i tried to connect the ipod via vnc to my laptop screen sharing). so i was able to access to my home screen and i noticed that i had 5 choices about resolution; moreover the only kext not loaded was atifb.. i think that the impossibility to get to the home screen is caused by the missing loading of atifb, so i red a lot of posts where were talking about trying different framebuffers, uakari, velvet, megalodon: i saw in atifb's info.plist a list of settings about uakari velvet and others so how can i switch between different framebuffers trying one by one??? thanks!

try here ;)

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=231756

see if your gfx id is listed or not

Thank you! it's what i was looking for! my card is not listed but i can help in testing!

EDIT: I understood why is not listed...it's a mobility and i can't read/write videocard bios

can you take snapshot for lspci

http://osx86.sojugarden.com/files/myHack_l....0.mpkg.tar.bz2

install it and restart then run terminal and type

lspci -nn

then take snapshot for terminal ;)

to know devices ids of your lap

I have a HP G72 with ATI 5470m and dumped the GPU BIOS with Everest, but I have yet to figure our what to do next. I also have the latest Chameleon trunk, so that's fine I guess.

BTW: It kept panicking in ATIRadeonX3000.kext so I removed it to be able to login remotely. Yeah. Remote Login/Management is a great feature (learned to love it on Linux) and I use it to obtain info and to fix some other things left on my road map.

Edit: Here's a quick update. I patched my DSDT with the following code snippet:

Scope (\_SB)
   {
       Device (PNLF)
       {
           Name (_HID, EisaId ("APP0002"))
           Name (_CID, "backlight")
           Name (_UID, 0x0A)
           Name (_STA, 0x0B)
       }
   }

After you;ve applied the patch, the "AppleDisplay" under display0 changes into "AppleBacklightDisplay". More importantly. This also gives you an additional checkbox on the Energy Saver pref pane. The one with the text "Automatically reduce brightness before display goes to sleep".

There's also another interesting property, which I think links the audio output. Here is an example:

Device (HDEF)
           {
               Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
               OperationRegion (HDAR, PCI_Config, 0x00, 0x60)
               Field (HDAR, WordAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
               {
                   VID0,   16, 
                   DID0,   16, 
                           Offset (0x4C), 
                   DCKA,   1, 
                           Offset (0x4D), 
                   DCKM,   1, 
                       ,   6, 
                   DCKS,   1, 
                           Offset (0x54), 
                       ,   15, 
                   PMES,   1
               }

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
               {
                   If (LEqual (Arg0, Buffer (0x10)
                           {
                               /* 0000 */    0xC6, 0xB7, 0xB5, 0xA0, 0x18, 0x13, 0x1C, 0x44, 
                               /* 0008 */    0xB0, 0xC9, 0xFE, 0x69, 0x5E, 0xAF, 0x94, 0x9B
                           }))
                   {
                       If (LNotEqual (And (VID0, 0xFFFF), 0xFFFF))
                       {
                           Store (Package (0x02)
                               {
                                   "hda-gfx", 
                                   Buffer (0x0A)
                                   {
                                       "onboard-1"
                                   }
                               }, Local0)
                           DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                           Return (Local0)
                       }
                   }

Return (0x80000002)
               }

Name (_PRW, Package (0x02)
               {
                   0x09, 
                   0x04
               })
           }

Patch your DSDT and (check the original MacBookPro6,1 DSDT) and after that search for your DisplayProductID and DisplayVendorID and guess what... you have to fix them :D

My display is still messed up (I haven't patched the ID's) but I am sharing this info so that other people can have a go with it.

I think that problems come out because apple driver has not lvds support. normal users like us can't work on this cause maybe we have to modify not only plist file but also the real driver (the unix one)... we could think about a displayport emulator to add to our kext but it's hard to do this... my big hope is macbook air next release, rumors says that it will come with 11.6 inch screen and iX cpu and if it's true there's no space for discrete graphic card and hopefully intel gma 5700 will be used....

yeah i am dreaming!

I think that problems come out because apple driver has not lvds support. normal users like us can't work on this cause maybe we have to modify not only plist file but also the real driver (the unix one)... we could think about a displayport emulator to add to our kext but it's hard to do this... my big hope is macbook air next release, rumors says that it will come with 11.6 inch screen and iX cpu and if it's true there's no space for discrete graphic card and hopefully intel gma 5700 will be used....

yeah i am dreaming!

It would be nice when Apple came out with some a new MacSomething that can help us, because seriously. Looking at the number of reactions I have had over the past two weeks... not good.

This board is quickly becoming a waste of peoples time. There's no developers left to answer any of my questions? That's just weird. Completely the opposite of what was going on like 7-8 months ago when I've setup my desktop hack. After that it apparently went downhill fast. Go check it out yourself. I mean what has really be done in all that time? Notebook users like you and me are still what? Begging for help? Not me so I do everything I can, but I'm new to most of this stuff so it take me ages to figure out stuff. After that it might be time to setup a notebook specific site, where people do something, because apparently... this site is all about desktop lurkers..

It would be nice when Apple came out with some a new MacSomething that can help us, because seriously. Looking at the number of reactions I have had over the past two weeks... not good.

This board is quickly becoming a waste of peoples time. There's no developers left to answer any of my questions? That's just weird. Completely the opposite of what was going on like 7-8 months ago when I've setup my desktop hack. After that it apparently went downhill fast. Go check it out yourself. I mean what has really be done in all that time? Notebook users like you and me are still what? Begging for help? Not me so I do everything I can, but I'm new to most of this stuff so it take me ages to figure out stuff. After that it might be time to setup a notebook specific site, where people do something, because apparently... this site is all about desktop lurkers..

I have no skills allowing me to explore the obscure fields of creating a driver or switching on our videocard but if i had i would have tried surely to help others and obviusly to make my system work... i trust insanelymac developers, netkas, tonymac and all the others that work hard for us and i think that everything they was able to do was done. i know it sucks but if our generation card is not supported now won't be fully supported in the future; if there are two cards with different possibility to work with sl i would test both, then if one's development for some reasons reaches a dead point i would focus on the other one. this is because every card has not the Right to work with sl and we can't destroy developers for not creating driver for us. simply our system ( only videocard at the end) is not built for running snow leopard and the major reason is the lack of diplayport connector on our laptops. i resigned long time ago but , i repeat, if displayport lack take developers to a dead point, i understand if they want to focus on something with more possibilites to work!

I have no skills allowing me to explore the obscure fields of creating a driver or switching on our videocard but if i had i would have tried surely to help others and obviusly to make my system work... i trust insanelymac developers, netkas, tonymac and all the others that work hard for us and i think that everything they was able to do was done. i know it sucks but if our generation card is not supported now won't be fully supported in the future; if there are two cards with different possibility to work with sl i would test both, then if one's development for some reasons reaches a dead point i would focus on the other one. this is because every card has not the Right to work with sl and we can't destroy developers for not creating driver for us. simply our system ( only videocard at the end) is not built for running snow leopard and the major reason is the lack of diplayport connector on our laptops. i resigned long time ago but , i repeat, if displayport lack take developers to a dead point, i understand if they want to focus on something with more possibilites to work!

Sure. I understand their point of view, and that this won't be easy, but collecting the required info/data/rom image should be possible. Right? That would be a nice starter. I can change Chameleon's ati.c to inject different values, but I don't know what to replace it with.

Preventing OS X from panicking in ATIRadeonX3000 would be a great first step. I guess that's where these properties come in handy.

Care to join me in trying to make some progress?

Cheers,

Sam.

Sure. I understand their point of view, and that this won't be easy, but collecting the required info/data/rom image should be possible. Right? That would be a nice starter. I can change Chameleon's ati.c to inject different values, but I don't know what to replace it with.

Preventing OS X from panicking in ATIRadeonX3000 would be a great first step. I guess that's where these properties come in handy.

Cheers,

Sam.

Yeah i would like to but i have not much time due to university...there's too much to learn and test etc etc. if new macbook air will come with i3 and intel gma hd our problems will be solved obviusly with some hacks but i think simpler than creating support for our card!

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers,

Sam.

Okay, Sam - I have some information for you.

This is a pre-Graphics Update SL 10.6.4 PC (I'll be applying Kabyl's boot patch shortly; Chameleon 2 RC5 (unofficial build 611 installer) is being used. Here's the lspci -nn data:

Chris-Esteps-iMac:~ chrisestep$ lspci -nn

00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset DRAM Controller [8086:2e30] (rev 03)

00:01.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset PCI Express Root Port [8086:2e31] (rev 03)

00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller [8086:27d8] (rev 01)

00:1c.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 1 [8086:27d0] (rev 01)

00:1c.1 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 2 [8086:27d2] (rev 01)

00:1d.0 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 [8086:27c8] (rev 01)

00:1d.1 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 [8086:27c9] (rev 01)

00:1d.2 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 [8086:27ca] (rev 01)

00:1d.3 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 [8086:27cb] (rev 01)

00:1d.7 USB Controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller [8086:27cc] (rev 01)

00:1e.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge [8086:244e] (rev e1)

00:1f.0 ISA bridge [0601]: Intel Corporation 82801GB/GR (ICH7 Family) LPC Interface Bridge [8086:27b8] (rev 01)

00:1f.1 IDE interface [0101]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) IDE Controller [8086:27df] (rev 01)

00:1f.2 IDE interface [0101]: Intel Corporation 82801GB/GR/GH (ICH7 Family) SATA IDE Controller [8086:27c0] (rev 01)

00:1f.3 SMBus [0c05]: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) SMBus Controller [8086:27da] (rev 01)

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device [1002:68f9]

01:00.1 Audio device [0403]: ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device [1002:aa68]

02:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller [10ec:8168] (rev 03)

04:01.0 Multimedia audio controller [0401]: Creative Labs SB X-Fi [1102:0005]

my laptop also has the 5470, but when I tried to updated to 10.6.4 i get a kernel panic at the end of the install. so once I restart it gets stuck at the grey apple screen :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
i did tests yasterday on my friend new laptop with ati HD5650 ID 68C1

and bios is dumped but probem is there are no frambuffer worked from 30 framebuffers on GFX update1.0

the id of this card on kexts orignally it gives me hope that may be on next update may be it work (10.6.5) ;)

so waiting :)

For ati 5470 you must use Park, and for ati 5650 you must use Madison. You can also use the Kabyl's bootloader, load into it a vbios dump and specify the framebuffer in the bootloader.

Haven't tried yet, because I haven't got my laptop here.