Idiots Install Guide To OSX(distro) and GTX480

fatumpch

27 posts in this topic

To save people pulling their hair out (as I did) this is my guide to getting OSX 10.6.4 with Asus P5Q Premium & NVidia GTX480 (Gigabyte)

Retail guide is here : - http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=232197

Please bear the following in mind before you use this guide as a reference; Whilst this guide has items specific to my hardware, with trial and error (or sound research) you can tweak the elements that best suit your setup.

IMPORTANT – Keep notes as you go along – it will help you retrace and save huge amounts of time!

To make things easier I’ve numbered reference sites or file locations.

References

Ref:1 OSx86<------------ Lots of useful hardware info and install advice

Ref:2 http://www.kexts.com <------------ Great resource for drivers and tools

Ref:3 Mac OS X v10.6.4 Update (Combo) <------------ Easier to update with, still check for updates after installing this

Ref:4 http://s155158671.websitehome.co.uk/aquamac%20Fermi%2010.6.5%20Fix.zip <------------ Great package that combine NVidia drivers & fix.[you will need to register to download] - NB looks like if you're on a PC use Firefox or Safari to open this link.

Ref:5 http://www.kexts.com/view/498-efistudio_gtx480.html <------------ I added GTX480 support to this utility and uploaded here

Hardware requirements

Pretty exhaustive list really, but basically a decent motherboard and cpu with at least 2gig of Ram(more is better but max of 4gig for install - you can add more once you're up and running). A compatible GFX card and at least one large hard drive.

I did read somewhere that you should plug your SATA hard drive(if that’s what you’re installing to) into the very first SATA port on your motherboard – having said that my final system build had two OSX installs and both worked fine considering the second was plugged in to port six!

There is a good reference guide here : - See Ref:1

Method

Download an OSX86 distribution and either burn to disk or USB stick – I’m using iAtkos S3 v2.

Insert media and boot system (use your BIOS configuration to select the Optical Drive as first boot device!).

Wait for a while(go make a coffee/tea) while the things boot up and you’re presented with the installer.

Click on your language choice and then the blue arrow in the bottom right corner to continue.

You should now see the installer main window/desktop.

Ok choice for you now! If you’ve already configured your hard drive (this may be the 29th time you decide to do a clean install….. not bitter honestly!) then skip this step.

If this is a clean install then before clicking the tempting “Continue” button, click on the word “Utilities” and select “Disk Utility” from the drop down menu.

Once it starts up you’ll see all your drives listed down the left, and on the right “Select a disk, volume or image”.

Select the hard drive you have chosen for your install and you’ll see the right hand window populates with a number of options.

Click on the word “Partition” and the window changes to show a “Volume Scheme:” drop down and “Volume Information” area.

Select “1 Partition” from the “Volume Scheme:” dropdown – or however many partitions you want obviously.

On the right under “Volume Information” you can now name your install (don’t use spaces as some utilities wont action commands correctly – iAtkos Tools for example) I used OSX-SNOW as a name.

Format should be Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Below the “Volume Scheme:” section , which should now show your named partition, you’ll see a “+”, “-“ and “Options” button. Press the “Options" button.

You’ll see a roll down window asking you to choose a partition scheme – select “Master Boot Record” by clicking on the circle to the left (THIS IS VITAL) and then click the “OK” button.

You will be taken back to the “Volume Scheme:” screen and you should now click the “Apply” button in the bottom right hand corner.

A confirmation roll down window will appear and you should click on the “Partition” button.

Once created exit “Disk Utility” by clicking in the red cross in the top left hand corner of the window.

You should now be back at the installer – “Install Mac OS X”

Time to click the “Continue” button!

As I said earlier I’m using the iAtkos S3 v2 distribution so the next few steps may differ slightly if you’re using a different one.

You should see a “Read Me Please..” screen – do so, digest and enjoy. Done? Good.

Click on the “- - >” button in the bottom right corner of the window.

You will briefly flick back to the “Read Me Please..” screen before automatically being presented with a destination selection choice.

Select your destination partion/drive as named in the step earlier (OSX-SNOW as per my example) by clicking on the hard drive icon above the name and drive data tag.

You’ll see that the installer will display a confirmation message just under the central window confirming your destination, in addition to the big green arrow now pointing at your selected drive.

REALLY IMPORTANT STEP – DON NOT PRESS INSTALL YET!!!!First place so many installs go wrong.

Click on the “Customize” button in the bottom left of the screen.

A new roll down window appears, lets deal with each section one at a time.

REMEMBER THE FOLLOWING INSTALL OPTIONS WORKED ON MY SPECIFIC SETUP – you may need to tweak for yours.

Bootloader

Expand the selection by clicking on the triangle to the immediate left of the word “Bootloader”/small blue square with a “-“ ; this expands the section and presents you with a series of choices – this will be the same for each subsequent section you come to. Remember you want to get this working – bells and whistles can come later. The following choices are specific to my hardware as show above so research your hardware to see which items may work better for you. As I said earlier, there is a good reference guide here – see Ref:1

Select your Bootloader of choice, click on the each one to get a description BUT ONLY SELECT ONE – I chose Chameleon v2 RC5 as I wanted the best chance of getting my GTX480 video card recognised(it didn't but thats not important - lol). Do this by clicking on the small square immediately to the left of your choice. Once selected the box turns blue and shows a tick also. UNTICK ANY OTHER BOOTLOADERS

Collapse the selection by clicking on the triangle to the immediate left of the word “Bootloader”/small blue square with a “-“ ; this collapses the section – this will be the same for each subsequent section you come to.

Bootloader Options

DO NOT ENABLE “Graphics Enabler” if you have a GTX 480 – boot will hang otherwise!

I came across an error on my install [specific to my set up maybe] of “ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::Start - waitforservice(resourcematching(AppleIntelCPUPower Management) Timed Out”, which I solved by NOT selecting “Graphics Enabler” on install – it’s only a boot command which we’ll add later once we have the right packages installed first.

Choose any options here that you feel you need – just click on the words for a description.

Patches

Leave as preselected.

Drivers

Further expand “Main Hardware” sub section

Then further expand “SATA/IDE” sub, sub section

Select “Intel SATA/IDE”, “JMicron SATA/IDE” & “VIA SATA/IDE” – I have a raid hence the VIA – you could skip that one obviously

Collapse the “SATA/IDE” sub, sub section.

Expand the “Sound” sub, sub section.

Remove the tick by “Voodoo HDA” - unless you want this in which case untick the "AppleHDA" option.

Collapse the “Sound” sub, sub section.

Skip PS/2 – unless you need this obviously (does your setup have a green and purple mouse/keyboard connected? If yes then YOU NEED THIS).

Expand the “CPU Power Management” sub, sub section.

Select “Voodoo P-State”

Collapse the “CPU Power Management” sub, sub section.

Collapse the “Main Hardware” sub section – unless you need items in “Laptop Hardware” or “NTFS-3G”

Skip “VGA” sub section if you have a GTX480.

Expand “Network” sub section.

Expand “Wired” sub, sub section.

Expand “Marvell” sub, sub, sub section.

Select “Yukon 88E8056”

Collapse the “Drivers” section – this will close all its sub folders, etc. – you can skip this and just click “OK” [next step]as it does the same thing

Click “OK” button in bottom right of this roll down window.

This will take you back to the main “Install Mac OS X” screen

NOW press “Install” button! Cross fingers

The Install

The installer will kick off and tell you that there are “About 18 minutes” to go….. yeah right! The install takes a while so make another coffee or take a short walk and enjoy the real world for about 18 minutes.

The system will ask to restart once completed and you should eject the install media if possible once the screen goes black NOT BEFORE. If not make sure you hit F8(or whatever key it says on the screen) and select your install (OSX-SNOW in my example) from the list and press enter (or type “–v” [Darwin syntax for a verbose boot] if you want to see what’s going on) – I find powering the system off before it boots again is the best choice as you can eject the install media and avoid any possible boot hangs etc.

First boot is always a voyage of discovery I find – it takes ages & sometimes it fails – so before you panic – reboot again as I find it suddenly starts working!

Hopefully you should now be watching the Apple welcome screen – enjoy, although to be honest after the 20th (about 50th now lol) time it gets really, really dull.

All that over you should now be looking at the Welcome/Country selection screen.

Select your country of choice and click “Continue”

On the next screen select your keyboard language the click “Continue”

On the next screen “Do You Already Own a Mac?” just click “Continue”

On the next screen “Enter Your Apple ID” just click “Continue”

If you don’t/haven’t installed any network drivers you’ll see a screen “How Do You Connect?” select “My computer does not connect to the internet” then click “Continue”

On the next screen “Registration Information” just click “Continue” and when the warning pops up click “Continue” on that also.

On the next screen “Create Your Account” you need to fill in your “Full Name” (Mr Smith), “Account Name”(Smith) and “Password” and hint – use something simple for now as you’ll be typing it in a lot! When you’re done press “Continue”.

If you installed network drivers the next screen is “Try MobileMe Free”, select “I don’t want to try MobileMe for free right now”, then click “Continue” – you won’t see this if you didn’t install network drivers.

If you don’t/haven’t installed any network drivers you’ll see a screen “Register With Apple” select “Register Later”, then click “Continue”

On the next screen select your time zone and click “Continue”

If you don’t/haven’t installed any network drivers on the next and final screen click “Done”

Otherwise you’ll see a “Thank You” screen, just click “Go”

Screen turns blue with a black pointer for a few minutes(so don’t panic mysterious Apple things are being done in the background here) and you’ll eventually be presented with a screen(low res at this stage) asking you to confirm the keyboard setting. Click “Continue”

Follow the instruction on screen then click “Done”

Welcome to your OSX install!!!

What now?

Let’s make this easier by making a few changes to your desktop first.

Left click on the word “Finder” just right of the Apple logo at the top of the screen.

Select “Preferences” – a shortcut to this on a Mac is [Apple key and , key] on PC keyboard it’s [Windows key and ,]

Put a tick in the box next to “Hard disks” in the window that pops up, then click on the close button (red button in top left of the window).

Your desktop is now lovingly cluttered with icons (depends on how many hard drives/partitions etc.)

Before we do anything else though, a brief explanation about system folders and how iAtkos (and probably most distributions) handle files/locations – skip this section if you know you way around already.

There are a few areas you need to familiarise yourself with if you’ve never used a MAC before.

Double click your OSX-SNOW (or whatever you called your install) desktop icon.

As you can see there are four folders clearly visible – these are your standard Apple OSX folders and where most installs(Apple specific) will use.

There are also many hidden folders but specifically the Extra folder and its sub folders are needed in this install guide, so we need to “Unhide” these to get at them, easily.

To "Unhide" these folders left click on the “Applications” folder then scroll down until you can see the “Utilities” folder – there are keyboard shortcuts for all these folders but I need you to understand where everything is on the install, hence the long way round.

Open this folder and then left click on the “Show-hide Files” icon – the screen will go blank briefly then all will return with many more icons etc. Close the window for now so you’re back at the desktop.

You’ll see two additional files on your desktop – don’t do anything with these as they are normally hidden.

Now again open your install folder – OSX-SNOW – wow lots more folders! You should now be able to see the “Extra” folder and its contents.

The easiest way to explain how these distribution installs works is like this: -

To satisfy OSX it’s running on a MAC, the basic integrity of OSX 10.6.X is kept intact, however in order to fool things into working, distributions(iAtkos, etc.) use the “Extra” folder in preference to the “System” folder. So basically the system looks to the “Extra” folder BEFORE the “System” or “Library” folders, and loads any relevant file or drivers from there EVEN if they exist in both places. This preserves the integrity of the operating system and also safeguards you against updates that could overwrite any workaround. It’s not a fool proof system but pretty good engineering and enough to get you a decent MAC install. – before you install any Apple OSX update always backup!

Ok, to make the next steps easier on my fingers, some naming conventions and their meaning:-

NB – There are two Library folders so please take care not to confuse them – there are a few other duplicate named folders but not important for this guide.

Root – means I’m talking about the top of your OSX install – so when you double click on your desktop icon (OSX-SNOW for me) it’s the first folder window that is shown.

S/L/E – means I’m talking about the “Extensions” folder that sits inside the “Library” folder, and in turn sits inside the “System” folder – so to get there you open the “System” (located in the root of your OSX install), then the “Library” folder contained therein, then lastly the “Extensions” folder.

L/P/SC – means I’m talking about the “SystemConfiguration” folder that sits inside the “Preferences”, and in turn sits inside the “Library” folder – so to get there you open the “Library” (located in the root of your OSX install), then the “Preferences” folder contained therein, and lastly the “System Configuration” folder.

E/E – means I’m talking about the “Extensions” folder that sits inside the “Extra” folder – so to get there you open the “Extra” folder(located in the root of your OSX install), then the “Extensions” folder.

L/T – means I’m talking about the “Tools” folder that sits inside the “Library” folder – so to get there you open the “Library” folder (located in the root of your OSX install), then the “Tools” folder.

Bells & Whistles

Ok first things first, you should update the OSX install to 10.6.4. – either do this manually by following this guide or download the update package from Apple (Ref:3, link above) and follow the instructions after the install.

Having said that I had GFX up and running in 10.6.3 without problem, but think its good practice to update first.

Click on the Apple logo (top left corner of screen) and select “Software Update”

You’ll see a pop up appear which will take a few minutes to work out what your system needs etc.

This will eventually change giving you three choices – select “Show Details”

For now just select “Mac OS X Update” – clear all the other selections for now as you can download these later.

Now click on the blue button (bottom left) “Install 1 Item” and follow the prompts until the update is installed.

Once installed and the system has rebooted, we need to get GFX working.

Firstly download the Aquamac 10.6.4/10.6.5 Fermi Driver Installer (GTX4XX card driver package) – (Ref:4, link above)

Install the package by following the prompts on screen (basically keep clicking “Continue” and “Agree”, then “Install”)

Reboot

Next download my custom EFIStudio GTX480 ONLY utility – (Ref:5, link above)

Open the "Extra" folder on the root of your OSX install (was L/P/SC before my edit) and locate “com.apple.Boot.plist” and copy this to your desktop by left clicking on it and dragging it to a clear area

The purists amongst you will scream at this next bit, probably shouting about “sudo” this and “sudo” that. Calm down this works whilst it ain't pretty

Once copied open the file by right clicking and “Open With” – choose “TextEdit”

You’ll see a huge amount of pseudo (do the purists like what I did there? Lol) gibberish, we need to add the following lines to the file.

Click on the open text document and position your cursor at the end on the line <string><string> and press enter, this creates a new line

Next press TAB to insert a space as per the rest of the file and then type this in : -

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

PRESS ENTER FOR ANOTHER NEW LINE (don’t type this in obviously just create another blank line by pressing enter)

Next press TAB to insert a space as per the rest of the file and then type this in : -

<string>Yes</string>

PRESS ENTER FOR ANOTHER NEW LINE

<string>”Graphics Mode”=”1280x1024x32”</key>

Ok let’s just save that for now, so click on the word “File” on the top menu bar (at the top of the screen) and click on “Save”

Minimise this window.

Next extract and launch my version of EFIStudio.

A window will pop up and you will see a blue button marked “Add Device” – click this now.

You’ll see a new window open to the right and the bottom portion contains the important string you need.

Click on the “Hex String to Clipboard” Button and then minimise the window.

Minimise EFIStudio also.

Now go back to your desktop version of “com.apple.Boot.plist” and maximise it.

We now need to add a couple more lines to the file.

Scroll to the bottom of the file and you should see a penultimate line starting with </dict>, position your cursor at the beginning of this line and press enter to create a space above it.

Cursor up to this blank line and press TAB to insert a space then type:-

<key>device-properties</key>

PRESS ENTER FOR ANOTHER NEW LINE

Press TAB to insert a space then type:-

<string></string>

Ok now the tricky bit

Position your cursor between the >< of the line you just added (<string>HERE</string>)

Now paste your hex string that you just generated into the gap.

You should now save the file again.

You can now close all files, windows and applications if you like, leaving you with just a desktop and the edited “com.apple.Boot.plist” file.

We need to move this file to the “Extra” folder located in the root of your OSX install

You will be prompted to authenticate and should enter your password when asked.

Ok we now need to fix things to make the OS happy so you need to launch “Disk Utility” which is located in your “Utilities” folder (in turn located in “Applications” folder)

Once launched select your OSX install from the list on the left (OSX-SNOW in my example)

Now click on the “Repair Disk Permissions” button and left the software do its work.

Ok ready for the big reveal?

Reboot and cross fingers and say a little prayer to your respective god/s.

Once booted in glorious super high res mode, update and hopefully do not break your install.

Enjoy!

Hey,

Yep agreed and working on a re-write now as I'd like to add to everyone reading this that you should always own a retail legitimate copy of OSX before using a third party distribution and in no way wish to condone any form of piracy. I own several copies of OSX from Tiger > Snow Leopard, and am only using this guide as a way to show people how to get their GTX480's working. In terms of installing from a retail disk - watch this space as I will publish soon.

Cheers,

Fats.

Try with one of the many pre-fabbed boot CDs that are out there as base. You can add or remove kernel extensions and boot flags if you want to "optimize" the boot CD for just your motherboard.

http://blog.nawcom.com/ which is based on http://osx86.sojugarden.com/

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/04/ibo...ac-os-x-on.html

http://prasys.info/tag/empire-efi/

You can also make your own Chameleon boot CD. There are several guides and tutorials available.

It's not so much the piracy issue I'm thinking about, it's because that contrary to popular belief, once you wrap your head around it you start to realize that it's actually easier to install and maintain retail OS X than using a hacked install DVD.

Not to mention that all the development effort in the Hackintosh scene that's going anywhere, is based on running Retail, not hacked distros.

You, should make people aware that with each update there can be a variable or two that might not play nice, so backup your install before updating to the future 10.6.5....

Have a section for recovery in a few simple steps? Just an idea or link it to someones contribution to insanelymac.

Cool, when vsync and other issues are resolved I will finally purchase my GTX 480. Will let others experiment.

working on a re-write now as I'd like to add to everyone reading this that you should always own a retail legitimate copy of OSX before using a third party distribution and in no way wish to condone any form of piracy.

You can easily edit this one (which is better, from my point of view, than posting twice the same topic).

It seems that the link for the download for the Nvidia drivers is down on the other forum. Any chance you could re-upload it?

Other than that sounds like a great tutorial. I'll keep pushing away at it and post if I get it pulled of.

I find their site works best in firefox on a PC as it's not IE friendly sadly - I presume you're on a PC?

Will try an upload shortly.

You, should make people aware that with each update there can be a variable or two that might not play nice, so backup your install before updating to the future 10.6.5....

Have a section for recovery in a few simple steps? Just an idea or link it to someones contribution to insanelymac.

Cool, when vsync and other issues are resolved I will finally purchase my GTX 480. Will let others experiment.

Good idea - yeah did think about putting a word of caution regarding updates in, however I'm working on the retail guide so will implement there.

Backing up - personally I use Carbon Copy - it's free (please donate to the coder as it's a great program). Really easy to use - link here : - http://www.bombich.com/

Cheers,

Fats

You can easily edit this one (which is better, from my point of view, than posting twice the same topic).

Yep will do :rolleyes: Almost there lol -Thanks.

The only thing I seem to be having terrible trouble with is finding where to download the 4th link at. I see the place where it says link on the forum and I click that but it does is open up a blank window (in firefox and safari). Maybe Im just being oblivious? I have signed up also btw for the forum. It's so nerve wrecking cause this is the closest I've been yet all because of you awesome guide :)!!!!

I've almost finished the Retail guide and am 99% through testing.

Need a little re-editing of the above guide so please re-read anything in RED as I changed it slightly. Will make the changes in a few mins if not there when you read this.

The fourth link is a bugger, try this direct link

http://s155158671.websitehome.co.uk/aquama...0.6.5%20Fix.zip

Retail guide now completed : - http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=232197

• 3 weeks later...
May I suggest a topic change.

Most people tying to install OSX are NOT idiots (quite the opposite), some may take offence!!

Maybe Newbies guide or something similar.

Installing OSX for Dummies? or does that involve copywrite infringment?

Hi....

It seems to be an extremely well written guide but I get an error every time when I'm about to go and make a coffee.

So I googled a lot (there weren't a lot of problems that I had I did come to this website alot) and I found that some people had to

-f maxmem=2048

This was the best result I got!!!

The computer seemed to copy some files and it said something about HFS+ so I was like yeah!!!!

but after a while the kernel panic occured.

I'll type the error message

panic(cpu 1 caller 0x2a9e5c): Kernel trap at 0x350adfcd, type 14=page fault, registers:

Some Hex numbers

com.apple.AppleFSCompressionTypeZlib load succeeded

Error code: 0x00000000

Debugger called: <panic>

Here's a photo :( it's really long!!!

Hope you guys can help me!!!

I've got intel P4

And it's Dell dimension 9150

I hear a lot of people were able to get to the install screen no problem!!!

But no problems like this!!!

The only upgrade I made is the RAID0 and I've added ram so now it's 2GB

I've searched and somebody installed OSX no problem with the same southbrige chip.

Please help me!!! I've spent 2 days now trying to install this!

I've got a macbook aswell but I'd like to have OSX in my PC!

Thank you!

post-676009-1286491105_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

to fatumpch does your method make CUDA and OpenCL work in SL? And what about total perfomance?

They say that neither CUDA nor OpenCL work with GTX480, also overall perfomance is at a half of the 9800GTX+ perfomance.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok followed this guide and installed driver properly and i used Hazard snow leopard 10.6.2. But i have overscan issues with the display on this driver. Like the display is not getting scaled fully and colours looks washed out. Under display if i click on overscan its becomes worse like all bars and the corners of the screen.

Ok i found that the driver recognizes as a HDTV and send weird signals. So basically HDMI-HDMI.Is there a way to make it Dvi-Dvi and completely disabling the HDMI audio too? Nvidia forceware drivers 19x.xx had these problem later nvidia fixed my montior problems in 256.00 forceware drivers for windows. So is it possible to fix? Everything works perfect but this issue is really annoying.

My monitor specs:

max res:1920x1200@60hz

Inputs: HDMI and D-sub(vga)

ViewSonic vx2835wm

I had a problem while trying to install this to my Asus G60JX. I'm thinking maybe it has something to do with the fact that I can't make my SATA configuration to be AHCI. I have googled and searched and researched and read sooo much and still don't know what to do. When ever I try to boot up OS X I get to the apple logo and my system resets. I tried going to the boot set up and typing in "-v" and all that other good stuff that people say to put in but none of it works. Should I started a new thread asking about this or just keep it here?

• 2 months later...