ATI Radeon 5670

DaviDemon

5 members have voted

1. 1. Was this helpful?

• Yes/Mostly
    • No/Failed

8 posts in this topic

Okay, so my first post didn't go very well and many of you are still having problems for this card. So, I am going to try to explain everything in much detail so you all can get it working and Netkas might be able to continue working on it as there are still a few issues.

System Information

Motherboard: ASUS P5E (x38)

Audio: SupremeFX II Blackhawk

LAN/Ethernet: Marvell Yukon Gigabit Adapter

Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 5600 Series (5670)

Memory/RAM: 4GB

Processor: Intel Pentium® Dual Core @3.13GHz

VGA Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768 @ 60 Hz

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

Sorry for the display as it is the native resolution, and I only have a 15" monitor in my possession, although I am certain the other resolutions are available as they are shown in the Display options in System Preferences. As well as this, I have most things working, but could use a bit of tweaks and there as there are still holes that need to be patched.

If you have the same rig and have not been able to set everything up properly, send me a message.

So, here are the steps to get your ATI Radeon 5670 up and running.

Steps:

Tools: Kext Utility B7

1. Install and update everything to Snow Leopard (10.6.4).

I am unsure whether I installed the Graphics Update before or after, but don't install it yet, to be safe. *

2. Install ATY_Init.kext provided by Netkas: Link.

2b. Edit ATY_Init.kext to a different framebuffer *Optional*.

I am currently using Eulemur as my framebuffer and nothing wrong with it (I hope). Usually if the wrong one is in, you have to change the framebuffer in ATY_Init.kext.

Also, I am not providing information on editting this, please find your own way here, sorry.

2c. Install the drivers as well included in the package Netkas also provided on his website.

DO NOT install ATIRadeonX3000.kext yet!

3. Disable GraphicsEnabler in your com.apple.Boot.plist.

e.g. Create or alter a string to "GraphicsEnabler=No".

4. Reboot your computer. *

Use verbose mode to detect any errors (if any errors) just in case.

5. If all goes well, you should have information displayed in System Profiler and try to change resolutions.

e.g. Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 5600 Series

6. Then, you are free to install "ATIRadeonX3000.kext" to enable hardware acceleration (QE/CI).

7. You're ready to go!

* If you get a blank screen, boot into single user and delete "ATI5000Controller.kext" and "ATIRadeonX3000.kext". If THAT doesn't work, please post here so I can look into it. The changing of framebuffers may be important, it seems to vary so far, and no confirmations from Netkas yet. Also, remember to repair permissions when possible.

Background Information

HDMI Output: No

HDMI Audio: No (Using VoodooHDA for my sound and displays HDMI output in the preference pane, however, I am unable to test due to no video output.)

DVI Output: Unconfirmed (I am using VGA at the moment, connected to a DVI port using a dongle.)

64-bit Mode: No (Current kexts are only available for 32-bit.)

Mobility Card: No

Credits:

Netkas for providing the drivers.

asstastic for providing a list of framebuffers.

George20 for being a useful assistant along the way.

EDIT: There are a few new methods out there now. Check out Mohammed Khairy and Kaybl's updated bootloaders. This method still works, but I prefer the bootloader method.

• 2 weeks later...

hi! first of all thanks so much for these info, second i would like to know what is the specific vendor of your graphic card since there are a lot of vendor with different features... i fTound asus, sapphire, xfx and so on... So i really appreciate if you would share with us your graphic card specs. Thanks! :rolleyes:

greatings from italy!! :)

• 5 weeks later...

hello there, i tried a few different configurations and just couldn't get qe/ci working. I had xfx 5670 1 gb ddr5. dvi. partial success was with 10.6.4 and graphics update , I used aty_init and no x3000 because that would cause kp at first. but i had no qe/ci. I then tried to use x3000 after and i would get a blue and green checkerboard screen instead of the desktop.

No success with the experimental Kabyl boot. I would just get a repeating error/hang on fakeSMC.... I added the device id to the 5000 kext. I would really like to get this card working. How many people have dvi and qe/ci on the 5670?

BTW i'm too lazy to update my sig. I just realized how long it's been since ive been on.

hello there, i tried a few different configurations and just couldn't get qe/ci working. I had xfx 5670 1 gb ddr5. dvi. partial success was with 10.6.4 and graphics update , I used aty_init and no x3000 because that would cause kp at first. but i had no qe/ci. I then tried to use x3000 after and i would get a blue and green checkerboard screen instead of the desktop.

No success with the experimental Kabyl boot. I would just get a repeating error/hang on fakeSMC.... I added the device id to the 5000 kext. I would really like to get this card working. How many people have dvi and qe/ci on the 5670?

BTW i'm too lazy to update my sig. I just realized how long it's been since ive been on.

I have a Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD 5670.

For this method, you install ATY_Init.kext first (I think ATI5000Controller.kext as well), no drivers. Then after everything, and your card is detected in System Profiler, you should be able to install the drivers (ATIRadeonX3000.kext and such).

For Kaybl's bootloader. You must install everything in one motion. i.e. install latest Chameleon, replace boot with Kaybl's (or Mohammed Khairy's *not sure what's different just yet besides the AtiFb option*) AND the graphics update. You also must have 10.6.4 update.

If you get a checkerboard screen or a blank screen, means the framebuffer did not work for you. For my Gigabyte I used Baboon which seems best for me. I am also using:

- DVI (with a DVI2VGA dongle), 1st monitor.

- a VGA slot, 2nd monitor

And again, HDMI hasn't seemed to work out for me, I've given up on that and am now just waiting for updates.

P.S. Can't wait til Lion comes out. Looks hectic.

I have a Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD 5670.

For this method, you install ATY_Init.kext first (I think ATI5000Controller.kext as well), no drivers. Then after everything, and your card is detected in System Profiler, you should be able to install the drivers (ATIRadeonX3000.kext and such).

For Kaybl's bootloader. You must install everything in one motion. i.e. install latest Chameleon, replace boot with Kaybl's (or Mohammed Khairy's *not sure what's different just yet besides the AtiFb option*) AND the graphics update. You also must have 10.6.4 update.

If you get a checkerboard screen or a blank screen, means the framebuffer did not work for you. For my Gigabyte I used Baboon which seems best for me. I am also using:

- DVI (with a DVI2VGA dongle), 1st monitor.

- a VGA slot, 2nd monitor

And again, HDMI hasn't seemed to work out for me, I've given up on that and am now just waiting for updates.

P.S. Can't wait til Lion comes out. Looks hectic.

thanks davidemon, that is clearest explanation i have had in response to my efforts. Now i think there is hope by using the right frame buffer. I tried Baboon.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, guys. Can u help me pls?

Im newbie in this all and cant understand how to install this kext's. Can u give me step-by-step instruction?

THX A LOT for help!

My email: vibos@inbox.ru, couse i dont how when i come here again :)

sry 4 bad eng =(