Snow Leopard on ASUS G51Jx-X3

gravicle

56 posts in this topic

GAMER'S REPUBLIC ASUS G51Jx

Last Update: Jan 13

I've learned the OSx86 stuff the hard way and realize what turmoil it can be for a fresher. Also I can be very forgetful sometimes. So, here I'm compiling all that I did to get SnowLeo 10.6.4 working on my ASUS G51Jx-X3 notebook.

What all still needs to be done:

1. Sleep-Wake – oSxFr33k’s post (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=211724&st=20&start=20#) looks pretty promising. DONE. LOOK DOWN

2. WiFi using the original Intel half-mini b/g/n card. A good alternative is to replace it with a Broadcomm full-mini b/g card. You may have to tape it down from what I here on other forums. But, there is definitely enough room. There is another solution, a little cumbersome though. You may buy a MAC COMPATIBLE (make sure, these babies need drivers) USB WiFi Adapter. This comes at almost the same price as the Broadcomm card, but spares you the installation AND keeps the warranty intact. Also the mini card is b/g (54MbPS max) whereas, the usb adapter can be b/g/n (150MbPS max, though there are some exotic (read expensive) adapters that give a throughoutput of 300MbPS)

3. Can’t use the fancy Fn key for anything but screen and keyboard backlighting (they are hardwired). ACHIEVED THROUGH HOTKEY KEXT

4. Battery life goes on a pretty lousy curve. But its anyway a gaming laptop weighing 7.2 lbs. We cannot carry it around much.

Stuff I haven’t tried:

1. SDHC Card reader.

2. HDMI - Member Pien confirms that HDMI works out of the box and nicely enough. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1557186

3. Firewire

Allright. Here are the rules. There aren’t any. Just keep trying and never give up. Its so fuc***g worth every second spent on it. Ask on forums if you cannot do something. From my experience, you’ll almost never need to ask. The repositories at the forums are so rich that if you persistently search them there aren’t any questions which haven’t already been answered (affirmative or not).

Here we begin baby.

PREINSTALLATION

1. Backup your data, all of it. This is not the paranoid warning. We’re literally gonna wipe the drive clean. If you can’t cuz you don’t have an extra drive or something, its gonna be a little twisted for you to install on an MBR drive.

2. Update your BIOS to v208 aka anything from v206 will do.

3. A mac isn't a must. Even a PC would suffice. But, remember to have a working computer at arm’s length. There will be times when you’ll inevitably want to burn something or lookup an error.

4. A retail Snow Leopard 10.6.0 Disc. Well I didn’t have any retail discs so I downloaded the retail .dmg and burnt it on my PC using PowerISO. That’s the only thing that worked. If you need instructions on this, tell me. Use a VERBATIM Dual Layer DVD. From what I hear, Memorex kinda messes up. Verify the disc after burning. If verification fails, don’t waste your time with the disc. Burn afresh on a DIFFERENT PC.

5. An Empire-EFI CD. Now remember, no matter what, you’ve gotta use the Empire EFI 1085 R2 (http://www.mediafire.com/?r2muyitoyqc). Nothing else worked for me. Its because of the kernel. If the link is broken, google it. ALSO, no CD or other media boots when I have a drive connected thru USB. So, unplug all the USB drives (not keyboards or mice).

INSTALLATON:

1. Pop in the Empire-EFI CD. Boot from it (hit Esc while in POST). Make sure there aren’t any USB drives connected.

2. Once on the boot-drive-selection-screen, eject the CD and pop in the Snow Leopard Retail DVD. Press F5 after the swap.

3. The drive will spin like crazy and soon you’ll see the “Mac OS X Setup” there. Boot Verbose from here. (Down arrow and select the second option)

4. If there ain’t no errors, you’ll see the installation environment. Go to Utilities>Disk Utility. Click on the drive you installing osx on. Go to the partition tab and select whatever number and size of partitions you want. In Options, select GUID. This is the gist of the game. Its gonna wipe the entire drive clean. Make sure you backup.

5. Start the installation. You can monitor every detail in the Logs. Win+L or if mac swaps keys, Alt+L

6. If it fails at the very end due to some UUID error, worry not. You’re good to go just restart.

Post-Installation:

1. Use the EmpireEFI CD to boot the system. This time verbose into the volume you installed mac on. Voila!!

2. Its nowhere near done. LOL. You are halfway.

3. Here is your toolset:

i. DSDTSE - http://www.osx86.es/?p=610

ii. Kext Utility. - http://www.kexts.com/view/129-kext_utility...d_(update).html

iii. Chameleon RC3 Dr. Hurt’s Installer. - http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=184766 I know there are much better alternatives like AereBLN - http://github.com/aserebln . You may just use whatever you deem allright.

4. You gotta get the nastiest part done first. Make the DSDT for your system. Mine and yours may not differ much and you may well use mine(its down there in the package), but the veterans recommend otherwise. Down there is a highly optimized DSDT with all these fixes and is supposed to work on ANY G51Jx series machine. However if you run into issues with it, you have to extract an compile your own. Here are the detailed steps.

i. Extract the DSDT in DSDTSE.

ii. Apply these patches:

a. Method DTGP - Crucial! You must have this for (some of) the other fixes to work!

b. HPET fix: fixes AppleIntelCPUPM (NullCPUPM. not needed)

c. SBRG/LPCB Lower temperatures hack (our DEV_ID=3B09h; it's is already in AppleLPC.kext): lowers temps when using native SpeedStep.

d. FN button hack: makes the Fn key recognizable, but not for volume.

e. CRUCIAL : use this tiny hack from oSxFr33k - http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...0&start=20#

No shutdowns without it. Replace this code in your DSDT:

Method (_PTS, 1, NotSerialized)
{
	Store (Zero, P80D)
	P8XH (Zero, Arg0)
	PTS (Arg0)
	If (LEqual (Arg0, 0x03))
	{
		If (LAnd (DTSE, LGreater (TCNT, One)))
		{
			TRAP (TRTD, 0x1E)
		}
	}
}

With this Code

Method (_PTS, 1, NotSerialized)
{
	Store (Zero, P80D)
	P8XH (Zero, Arg0)
	PTS (Arg0)
	If (LEqual (Arg0, 0x03))
	{
		If (LAnd (DTSE, LGreater (TCNT, One)))
		{
			TRAP (TRTD, 0x1E)
		}
	}
}

f. SLEEP FIXES: Replace the following code to achieve almost perfect (fix still under development) sleep-wake.

Before fix

Device (EHC0)
		{
			Name (_ADR, 0x001D0000)
			Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
			{
				Return (GPRW (0x0D, 0x03))
			}
		}

Device (EHC1)
		{
			Name (_ADR, 0x001A0000)
			{
			}
		}

with this code:

Device (EHC0)
		{
			Name (_ADR, 0x001D0000)
			Name (_S1D, 0x02)
			Name (_S3D, 0x02)
			Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
			{
				Store (Package (0x0B)
					{
						"AAPL,clock-id", 
						Buffer (One)
						{
							0x01
						}, 

"device_type", 
						Buffer (0x05)
						{
							"EHCI"
						}, 

"AAPL,current-available", 
						0x04B0, 
						"AAPL,current-extra", 
						0x02BC, 
						"AAPL,current-in-sleep", 
						0x03E8, 
						Buffer (One)
						{
							0x00
						}
					}, Local0)
				DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
				Return (Local0)
			}

//Above this code below

{
			}
		}

AND

Device (EHC1)
		{
			Name (_ADR, 0x001A0000)
			Name (_S1D, 0x02)
			Name (_S3D, 0x02)
			Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
			{
				Store (Package (0x0B)
					{
						"AAPL,clock-id", 
						Buffer (One)
						{
							0x01
						}, 

"device_type", 
						Buffer (0x05)
						{
							"EHCI"
						}, 

"AAPL,current-available", 
						0x04B0, 
						"AAPL,current-extra", 
						0x02BC, 
						"AAPL,current-in-sleep", 
						0x03E8, 
						Buffer (One)
						{
							0x00
						}
					}, Local0)
				DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
				Return (Local0)
			}

//Above this code below

{
			}
		}

g. Blinking keyboard backlights when sleeping: search for " If (LNot (ATKP))" and remove both instances of it (you also need to remove a couple brackets. Curtesy Wonslung (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=211724&st=60#)

Original_1

Method (KPTS, 1, NotSerialized)
	{
		If (LNot (ATKP))
		{
			Store (LDBM, Local0)
			If (LNotEqual (Zero, And (Local0, 0x81)))
			{
				Return (Zero)
			}

Store (0x1802, Local0)
			Add (Local0, 0x06, Local0)
			WRAM (Local0, Zero)
		}

Fixed_1

Method (KPTS, 1, NotSerialized)
	{

Store (LDBM, Local0)
			{
				Return (Zero)
			}

Store (0x1802, Local0)
			Add (Local0, 0x06, Local0)
			WRAM (Local0, Zero)

Original_2

Method (KWAK, 1, NotSerialized)
	{
		If (LNot (ATKP))
		{
			Store (LDBM, Local0)
			{
				Return (Zero)
			}

Store (B1OF, Local0)
			Store (0x1802, Local2)
			Add (Local2, 0x06, Local2)
			If (LEqual (Local0, One))
			{
				Store (B1CS, Local0)
				Store (DerefOf (Index (LKBS, Local0)), Local1)
				WRAM (Local2, Local1)
			}
			Else
			{
				WRAM (Local2, Zero)
			}
		}

Fixed_2

Method (KWAK, 1, NotSerialized)
	{

Store (LDBM, Local0)
			{
				Return (Zero)
			}

Store (B1OF, Local0)
			Store (0x1802, Local2)
			Add (Local2, 0x06, Local2)
			If (LEqual (Local0, One))
			{
				Store (B1CS, Local0)
				Store (DerefOf (Index (LKBS, Local0)), Local1)
				WRAM (Local2, Local1)
			}
			Else
			{
				WRAM (Local2, Zero)
			}

iii. Compile the DSDT.dsl into DSDT.aml. This is your holy grail. Keep it. We’ll need it soon.

5. Install chameleon form the installer. It should create an Extra folder in your system drive. > /Extra.

i. Place the DSDT.aml file in the Extra folder as well as your root folder i.e. your system drive.

ii. There may/may not be an SMBIOS.plist and com.apple.Boot.plist in the Extra folder by default. Delete them. Use the two files from the attachment instead. This is important.

iii. Place the com.apple.Boot.plist file in your > Library/Prefrences/SystemConfiguration folder as well.

6. Now the KEXTS : Drop a .kext file over the kextUtility icon. It’ll handle the rest. Don’t just drag and drop kexts into S/L/E, this way you’ll never get them working. ALL of these kexts are 64bit compatible, the system-profiler thinks so.

i. Begin with FakeSMC2.5 - http://netkas.org/?p=338

ii. Sound: Grab VOODOOHDA along with prefPane, voodoohdahelper and its plist. Drop the helper into> /usr/local/bin and the plist into> /Library/LaunchAgents. I’ve already modded the plists to include the hardware IDs. (Don't install this until you update to 10.6.4 or higher, would cause incessant kernel panics due to incompatibility of the EMPIRE EFI kernel with the kext)

iii. For Ethernet grab the AtherosL1cEthernet for LAN (download "Attansic / Atheros L1C for Snow Leopard").

iv. Now let’s tackle the PS2 stuff. There is a package down there with the required kexts. I tried various combinations and settled upon the ones in the package.

v. You’ll also wanna use the Voodoobattery.kext for battery statuus.

vi. AsusHotkeys.kext - This currently enables Fn keys for iTunes, sleep, wireless, VOLUME, calculator.

7. Use SmoothScroll (http://www.marcmoini.com/sx_en.html) for achieving mac-like scrolling. Its a paid app but if you want to give it a try before you buy, look up at the usual places.

8. The system won’t boot on vanilla kernel in 10.6.0. So you need to use the kernel from EmpireEFI preeboot.dmg. I’ve included it in the package. For changing the kernel, first you have to enable viewing the hidden files. Use this nifty app called Invisiblix (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/25872/invisiblix) . Once you can see the hidden files, go to your root folder (System Drive, telling ya for the very last time) and delete mach_kernel. Copy the mach_kernel from the package into the root folder. We’re all set to reboot now, but just for the sake of caution, repair disk permissions using DiskUtility.

9. If you boot up and get a white screen or the system loops into reboots, use GraphicsEnabler=No kernel flag while booting.(Its because only after the 10.6.4 update, nVidia 360M could be recognized.) It’s a good idea to use the –v flag (verbose boot) to monitor errors during the first few boots. This way you can search for the specific error. So on the chameleon screen, select the drive you wanna boot from and type “GraphicsEnabler=No –v -f” All spaces and uppercases are crucial.

Updating to 10.6.4 (Important)

1. Download the COMBO 10.6.4 update from Apple. It’s a 900MB dmg. http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1048

2. Run the updater only if you can boot without the EmpireEfi CD. Booting from the CD will cause the update to fail with unrecognized-device errors.

3. CRUCIAL or your clock will run too fast Update your boot loader to AsereBLN Booter 1.1.9. Find it here. Install using these instructions from the README of chameleon RC4:

Suppose that your installation is on /dev/disk0s2. (To find what drive you installing it, open [i]Disk Utility[/i], right click on the drive you got mac on and go for INFORMATION. In the information window, look for DRIVE IDENTIFIER.) Execute the following in the terminal.

- Install boot0 to the MBR:
  		[b]sudo fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0[/b]

- Install boot1h to the partition's bootsector:
	  [b]sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2[/b]

- Install boot to the partition's root directory:
	  [b]sudo cp boot /[/b]

The commands wont work just as such. For example, in the first command you need to replace the boot0 with its actual file path. A nifty way to do this is delete boot0 in the command, place the cursor right where boot0 used to be, and drag and drop the file in the terminal window. This will give you the absolute path in the command.

For the boot file, use the file named boot_with_embedded_theme BUT rename it to boot before using.

4. While updating monitor the logs, Win+L, if all goes well, but at the end there are errors regarding Cache building or something similar, this will cause a kernel panic. Don’t worry. Just make a hard shutdown and reboot. Use –v –f flags this time. It may not boot. Do this again. Try –x –f –v flags to boot into safe mode. From my experience it should boot now. Voila you have just updated to 10.6.4.

5. Use the regular apple update from hereon. The system will run on vanilla kernel :)

Updating to 10.6.5

Apple seeded the 10.6.5 update to Snow Leopard (probably the second last for the year old OS). Its a regular update primarily focussed upon security fixes. Updating is a breeze using the built in "Software Update". Vanilla kernel works just fine and I've faced no issues as such.

Updating to 10.6.6

Yeah, 10.6.5 was the second last update, because probably the last one is here. 10.6.6. is nothing much but an update that introduces the mac app store to the macs. No hackintosh issues whatsoever. The combo update is around a gig and should go smooth.

Some Troubleshooting tricks:

1. I keep a second installation ready. It because you need a mac to debug a mac. So when I first got my successful 10.6.4, I just restored it to a 15GB partition. This gives me a spare mac incase of any troubles booting into my main system. On this troubleshooting installation keep Apps like DriveGenius, DiskWarrior, and also your package of kexts and tools.

2. Make good use of TimeMachine. Buy an external HDD and use it as your time machine drive. I have a WD MyPassport Elite 640GB 5400RPM USB drive. It came in for less than $86.

While installing myself, I used these threads:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1541337

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...211724&st=0

They are great repositories of content and are very actively evolving.

EDIT 1:

• Added updated kext pack
  • Added DSDT.aml to the package
  • Updated Bootloader Installation instructions
  • Improved Readability. :D
  • Added another solution to the WiFi fiasco.

Edit 2:

• Delayed VoodooHDA installation until 10.6.4 to address kernel panics
  • Updated DSDT warnings

Edit 3_Oct 03

• ADDED SLEEP FIXES. Now this bad-boy sleeps. :P
  • Added new cleaned up and sleep-enabled DSDT to the package
  • New AsusHotkeys.kext in package for Fn key recognition
  • Added smooth scrolling solution

Edit 4_Nov 11

• Added reference for Update to 10.6.5

Edit 5_Jan 13

• Added reference for Update to 10.6.6

G51Jx.zip

G51Jx_Oct_03.zip

Hi there!

First of all, thank you VERY much for this tutorial... It's gotten me much further in my venture to make a Hackintosh out of my G51Jx...

Now, I was following fine until I got to the step about SMBIOS.plist, etc... I can't find SMBIOS.plist ANYWHERE and I'm not sure what you mean by "attachment"? There was no existing files in the /Extra folder and I can't reveal anything with searching.

Could you please specify?

Hi there!

First of all, thank you VERY much for this tutorial... It's gotten me much further in my venture to make a Hackintosh out of my G51Jx...

Now, I was following fine until I got to the step about SMBIOS.plist, etc... I can't find SMBIOS.plist ANYWHERE and I'm not sure what you mean by "attachment"? There was no existing files in the /Extra folder and I can't reveal anything with searching.

Could you please specify?

You are welcome. I'm happy I could give back to the community I've taken so much from.

On the attachment thing, I withdrew the first one that I included in here because of some problems(Read KERNEL PANICS) I was facing with the installation. Having them figured out, here is an updated package, right at the bottom of the guide.

Will follow you on this.

Thank you for the updated package.

When I tried to install the VoodooHDA.kext with the kext utility I got a double panic.. the GUI stops functioning and the screen gets overlaid with terminal input saying "<double panic>

After this the OS won't boot, and I cannot run the Install Disk to repair it. I have another voodoo kext that I will attempt to install tomorrow.

Just wanted to let you know :)

Thank you for the updated package.

When I tried to install the VoodooHDA.kext with the kext utility I got a double panic.. the GUI stops functioning and the screen gets overlaid with terminal input saying "<double panic>

After this the OS won't boot, and I cannot run the Install Disk to repair it. I have another voodoo kext that I will attempt to install tomorrow.

Just wanted to let you know :)

Did you update to 10.6.4? And, are you running Vanilla on 10.6.4? Before update or when trying to run a custom kernel on 10.6.4, VoodooHDA gave me similar panics. I've tried 3 different iterations of VoodooHDA from various sources. One of them would enable sound but the preference pane would crash with the error "Can't map memory". Also it caused a lot of jargon on the console window. This(the one in the package) is the one I found working perfect with no charring sounds.

Note: to remove a bad kext, boot into diagnostic mode, with the kernel flag "-x" and simply delete it from /S/L/E. While booting the next time, you may use the flags -v -f just to make sure.

Did you update to 10.6.4? And, are you running Vanilla on 10.6.4? Before update or when trying to run a custom kernel on 10.6.4, VoodooHDA gave me similar panics. I've tried 3 different iterations of VoodooHDA from various sources. One of them would enable sound but the preference pane would crash with the error "Can't map memory". Also it caused a lot of jargon on the console window. This(the one in the package) is the one I found working perfect with no charring sounds.

Note: to remove a bad kext, boot into diagnostic mode, with the kernel flag "-x" and simply delete it from /S/L/E. While booting the next time, you may use the flags -v -f just to make sure.

I haven't done the update to 10.6.4 yet... I've been following your guidelines step by step, trying to install the kexts first. I'm going to try skipping the VoodooHDA.kext and installing the rest, and then installing the one that has previously worked for me after.

I was also unable to boot into diagnostics mode, which I'm not sure I understand... after highlighting Mac OS X in Chameleon, I only have to type "-x" without the quotations. Is this correct? This did not work for me.

Would it have anything to do with the DSDT.aml file included in the package? I didn't bother with those steps, rather I just put the included DSDT.aml into /Extra along with SMBIOS.plist.

EDIT: I have installed all the .kext's and am currently attempting to boot without the EFI bootcd. I've tried several times, and the only thing that happens (regardless of "GraphicsEnabler=No") is the Mac boot screen shows up, it looks like it's going to load, and then the computer just shuts off.

I'm SO close!!! I just have to get the thing booting on it's own....

EDIT 2: I tried editing com.apple.Boot.plist and disabling GraphicsEnabler there, but it didn't have any affect. Same result of the Mac loading screen and then the system shuts off. (Not rebooting)

You may place the DSDT in Extra folder as well as the root folder. See post-installation step 5(i). If this doesn't make you boot, keep reading:

reply to Edit 2: this means the kernel isn't allright. What is your exact model? G51jx-x3 or A1 or something else, if it isn't X3, the DSDT most probably wont work, and you have to compile one for yourself. Still, the kernel in our Empire EFI CD SHOULD work to boot you allright.

You may place the DSDT in Extra folder as well as the root folder. See post-installation step 5(i). If this doesn't make you boot, keep reading:

reply to Edit 2: this means the kernel isn't allright. What is your exact model? G51jx-x3 or A1 or something else, if it isn't X3, the DSDT most probably wont work, and you have to compile one for yourself. Still, the kernel in our Empire EFI CD SHOULD work to boot you allright.

I did not put the DSDT into my root folder... so there's that problem... My model is the G51Jx-A1... What are the differences between the two? I would expect that if the architecture of the hardware is the same the same DSDT should work...

I will attempt to use the kernel from the Empire EFI CD....

I did not put the DSDT into my root folder... so there's that problem... My model is the G51Jx-A1... What are the differences between the two? I would expect that if the architecture of the hardware is the same the same DSDT should work...

I will attempt to use the kernel from the Empire EFI CD....

Well, the chipset is the SAME, HM55, BUT the processor isn't and more importantly the BIOS. Also RAM for i7 is clocked at 1333MHz while for i5, its 1066MHz. i5 has an integrated GPU chip while i7 has none. This makes a huge difference.

The main purpose of DSDT is to provide the ACPI tables in the BIOS to mac osx which our BIOS can't directly provide or mac can't directly access (if my understanding of DSDT is all right!!). These tables have the power management profiles for the hardware AND these profiles most probably differ by a good amount between a dual core i5 processor and a quad core i7 with so different clock speeds and turbo boost ratios.

I guess making a custom DSDT is your best bet. But, try the kernel first. My DSDT may work but it won't be the best for you. I recommend compiling one.

I have made up my own DSDT and the booting has progressed a little bit... now I'm at the point of seeing the following when I boot mach_kernel -v:

Running fsck on the boot volume...
/dev/rdisk0s2: Can't initialize disk cache

/dev/rdisk0s2: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY: RUN fsck_hfs MANUALLY
/dev/rdisk0s2 (hfs) EXITED WITH SIGNAL 8
** /dev/rdisk0s2
Can't initialize disk cache
/dev/rdisk0s2 (hfs) EXITED WITH SIGNAL 8
fsck failed!
Kext loading now disabled.
Kext unloading now disabled.
Kext autounloading now disabled.
Kernel requests now disabled.
Can't get kextd port.

continuing
done
CPU Halted: It's now safe to turn off your computer

I was reading around and in an older tutorial it was suggested to re-install Chameleon and try again... does this make sense?

EDIT: I booted through the CD and ran "fsck_hfs -f /dev/rdisk0s2"... it said the volume was ok, so when I reboot with the following flags I got the same thing (fsck failed):

mach_kernel rd=disk0s2 -v -f

EDIT 2: Found reference to having a limit to the amount of memory during boot. "maxmem=4096" bootflag got me loaded from disk0s2.

FINAL EDIT:

Success! I have updated my OS X installation to 10.6.4 and have successfully booted from an EXTERNAL eSata drive! I am currently debugging and attempting to get the sound to work (VoodooHDA_Pref_64b.zip)

Thank you very much for your tutorial and your help gravicle. Maybe you could put a note for G51Jx-A1 users about that "maxmem=4096" if they have trouble booting ;)

Thats amazing. I appreciate your zeal.

Also you don't have to boot with maxmem-4096 flag. 32 Bit mode limits your RAM to 4GB ad you cannot utilize all of the 6Gigs of RAM that you have. Just remove the arch=i386 flag from boot.plist and next boot try booting with -x64 flag.

When you boot, open system profiler and check Software. In 64-bit Kernel and Extensions: see for YES.

I updated OSX to 10.6.4 and couldn't get the OS to recognize the graphics card, even after further software update. The chipset is "unknown" and the rest of the details follow:

Chipset Model: Unknown

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

Slot: Slot-1

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 1024 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0cb1

Revision ID: 0x00a2

ROM Revision: xx.xx.xx - internal

Also, I have the X5 model, which has an i7 processor, so the Hardware overview is also inaccurate, how would you fix that? I could change processor speed through SMBios, but that's about it.

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro6,2

Processor Name: Intel Core i5

Processor Speed: 1.6 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 6 GB

Bus Speed: 533 MHz

Boot ROM Version: MBP61.00C1.B03

SMC Version (system): 1.30f3

Serial Number (system): G8101101G0

Hardware UUID: F070AB8B-1BD4-5D08-92D7-7D38CF6E5939

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I updated OSX to 10.6.4 and couldn't get the OS to recognize the graphics card, even after further software update. The chipset is "unknown" and the rest of the details follow:

Chipset Model: Unknown

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

Slot: Slot-1

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 1024 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0cb1

Revision ID: 0x00a2

ROM Revision: xx.xx.xx - internal

Also, I have the X5 model, which has an i7 processor, so the Hardware overview is also inaccurate, how would you fix that? I could change processor speed through SMBios, but that's about it.

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro6,2

Processor Name: Intel Core i5

Processor Speed: 1.6 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 6 GB

Bus Speed: 533 MHz

Boot ROM Version: MBP61.00C1.B03

SMC Version (system): 1.30f3

Serial Number (system): G8101101G0

Hardware UUID: F070AB8B-1BD4-5D08-92D7-7D38CF6E5939

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

System Profiler is purely cosmetic. Wether sys profiler "recognizes" it or not, your hardware is running just fine. But, it should be able to get the correct hardware info. I see here that it gets the cache info and the clock speed all right. As far as I know, its the job of the bootloader to supply hardware ids and information to the OS. What bootloader are you using? AsereBLN is a really great one and fixes a lot of issues with our chipsets. Also, older bootloaders don't play very well with new silicon.

System profiler DOES recognize your gfx card cuz it says 1024 MB but not its name from it's ROM. If you boot into Verbose mode, you may find FakeSMC declaring that your card is too new and it doesn't recognize it, however it works fine.

All in all, don't bother of System Profiler. But, to get this right you may try the bootloader thing and if that doesn't work, I'll come up with something better.

System Profiler is purely cosmetic. Wether sys profiler "recognizes" it or not, your hardware is running just fine. But, it should be able to get the correct hardware info. I see here that it gets the cache info and the clock speed all right. As far as I know, its the job of the bootloader to supply hardware ids and information to the OS. What bootloader are you using? AsereBLN is a really great one and fixes a lot of issues with our chipsets. Also, older bootloaders don't play very well with new silicon.

System profiler DOES recognize your gfx card cuz it says 1024 MB but not its name from it's ROM. If you boot into Verbose mode, you may find FakeSMC declaring that your card is too new and it doesn't recognize it, however it works fine.

All in all, don't bother of System Profiler. But, to get this right you may try the bootloader thing and if that doesn't work, I'll come up with something better.

Thanks for a quick reply! I'm using AsereBLN bootloader. In verbose mode, I think fakeSMC didn't recognize the card, however, I think my gfx card is the same as most of the G51jx's. I saw other post (post #76 @ 1:05:10) here

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...60&start=60

that has the card recognized while mine didn't. It should be the same card :/. I tried to replace mach kernel back to the original one, but that didn't help, either.

By the way, I got wireless to work through here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=209837

And here is a link to hot key kext:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=211724&st=40 ://http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/in...1724&st=40

So i'm still trying to get my sound to work, and I've tried a few things..

I installed the VoodooHDA v0.2.2, which resulted in no change.. (Absolutely no sound)...

I also tried installing the VoodooHDA that you included with your package. Per your suggestion of doing it AFTER the update to 10.6.4, I did so which resulted in kernel panic when the system tried to boot.

Sound is the only thing keeping me from running Mac OS X on my internal drive.. I don't want to go through the process until I have a configuration that works with the OS running on the external eSata...

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you for the information, and I have gotten the sound working now.

The trouble was with the fact that when I tried to install the 0.2.6 kext, there was still the old 0.2.2... the kext utility didn't automatically remove it, and when I tried to install the new version (Without removing the old) the kernel panicked, probably because it was trying to load two kexts for one device at once...

A new problem I've run into, is that I've tried to get the volume keys natively working... this hasn't worked out too well for me, lol... I now have no trackpad or keyboard working... I think this is where I went wrong:

I installed the kexts you included for PS2Keyboard, mouse, and trackpad into /System/Library/Extensions, and noticed that you had them in "paste to /E/E" folder... I didn't realize that this could be for /Extra/Extensions. I tried to correct this, and lost use of my keyboard/mouse... lol... if I remove ApplePS2Keyboard/Mouse/Trackpad from S/L/E, will it use the kexts found in /E/E/ instead? Thank you.

Keep the ACPIPS2Nub and VoodooPS2Controller in S/L/E and the 3 that ApplePS2 kexts in E/E. Then boot with -f -v flags next time.

This is what worked for me pretty well. I get 2 finger recognition on our trackpads that recognize only 1 finger in windows. I can scroll with 2 fingers now. :(

EDIT: you have to remove the ACPIPS2Nub and VoodooPS2Controller and any other PS2 that you installed in S/L/E. Then redo everything using kextutility for the first 2. For kexts in E/E, you can just drop them in the folder.

Hi, thanks for the tutorial. I've been succesfull to install 10.6.3 Install Disk in my G51JX-X1 and then updated to 10.6.4

One thing i've have to ingnore is the match kernel replace step, since i've installed the 10.6.3, it wasn't needed.

Is there a way to disable the Microphone Playback? I've manage to do that with the VoodooHDA but it resets after every reboot.

EDIT: I've tried HDMI output and as for Video it work's like a charm out of the box!

I haven't installed the VoodooHDA just yet and dont have sound. Gonna update later with the answer.

Hi, thanks for the tutorial. I've been succesfull to install 10.6.3 Install Disk in my G51JX-X1 and then updated to 10.6.4

One thing i've have to ingnore is the match kernel replace step, since i've installed the 10.6.3, it wasn't needed.

Is there a way to disable the Microphone Playback? I've manage to do that with the VoodooHDA but it resets after every reboot.

EDIT: I've tried HDMI output and as for Video it work's like a charm out of the box!

I haven't installed the VoodooHDA just yet and dont have sound. Gonna update later with the answer.

Thanks for confirming that HDMI works out of the box. I have added a reference to your post in the guide. Also there is a brand new VoodooHDA with better preferences and louder sound. However, it still resets itself. There is a solution to this problem, but I couldn't get it working.

Here is the new VoodooHDA : http://code.google.com/p/g60jx-hackintosh/wiki/VoodooHDA

• 2 weeks later...
You have done a wonderful and remarkable job. Thanks. Could I please ask you add screen dump of your /E and /E/E please. It makes your description "guess free".

Regards,

Artimess

Thanx

and here are the sgreenshots

post-481030-1287255709_thumb.png

post-481030-1287255733_thumb.png

I have been trying to get my G51JX-A1 to boot into the install and it asks for me to hit any key to start darwin and when i do, my system reboots.

I am following the guide exactly. Have any ideas why it won't boot into the install?

Here are the steps I have used:

1. boot into empire disk (downloaded directly from link in guide, not using the legacy, but tried it as well)

2. at prompt, eject disk, inseft Mac OS X 10.6.0 Retail DVD

3. wait a second until disk stops spinning and then hit F5

4. Down on the arrow key and select boot with Verbose.

5. i see all of the boot information load up in preparation for the OS X boot

6. OS X boots until it says "press any key to start"

7. I hit spacebar (and enter once as well)

8. Screen goes blank and reboots into the Asus splash screen.

I added a screenshot of why i see before i hit "any key" and it reboots.

post-74325-1287672935_thumb.jpg

I have been trying to get my G51JX-A1 to boot into the install and it asks for me to hit any key to start darwin and when i do, my system reboots.

I am following the guide exactly. Have any ideas why it won't boot into the install?

Here are the steps I have used:

1. boot into empire disk (downloaded directly from link in guide, not using the legacy, but tried it as well)

2. at prompt, eject disk, inseft Mac OS X 10.6.0 Retail DVD

3. wait a second until disk stops spinning and then hit F5

4. Down on the arrow key and select boot with Verbose.

5. i see all of the boot information load up in preparation for the OS X boot

6. OS X boots until it says "press any key to start"

7. I hit spacebar (and enter once as well)

8. Screen goes blank and reboots into the Asus splash screen.

I added a screenshot of why i see before i hit "any key" and it reboots.

post-74325-1287672935_thumb.jpg

Well if its doing that, I guess that this EMPIRE EFI doesn't work for the A1. You gotta try various versions of Empire EFI, until you find the one that lets you boot in. Also search around for which EMPIRE EFI works for other A1 users.

Happened with me as well, took a lot of tries (on a DVD-RW) to find the version that works.

Well if its doing that, I guess that this EMPIRE EFI doesn't work for the A1. You gotta try various versions of Empire EFI, until you find the one that lets you boot in. Also search around for which EMPIRE EFI works for other A1 users.

Happened with me as well, took a lot of tries (on a DVD-RW) to find the version that works.

Excellent, thanks a bunch.

I will try a few and post back here my findings. Hopefully I can save some time for others with my model.