Snow Leopard on Precision M6300?

cydetu

10 posts in this topic

Hello there, I recently received a computer, a Dell Precision M6300, and would like to install OSX on it. This would be my first time trying something like this. A google search [http://www.hackint0sh.org/f179/76173.htm] showed that others had successfully attempted this and used iPC 10.5.6. I tried that and when it didn't work for me, I also tried iAKTOS 10.6.3/4 and got stuck on before the installation screen, where it stated the system uptime in nanoseconds. I believe that was a kernal panic, but am not sure. I would like to install the latest version if possible, can someone please assist me this?

The laptop has:

- Intel Core 2 Duo T7250

- Nvidia Quadro FX1600M

- 2GB of RAM

• 4 months later...

Hi There, don't know if you have found a resolution yet but I am running 10.6.6 on my M6300 now.

Precision M6300

Intel 2.4ghz Core 2 Duo

4GB DDR2 Ram

NVIDIA Quadro FX1600M 512MB

1920 x 1200 px non reflective display

Seagate Momentus 500GB 7200rpm Sata3 HDD

Broadcom BCM57xx 1GBit Ethernet

Apple (Atheros) airport extreme n class Wifi card

Apple Magic Mouse

Apple Bluetooth Keyboard

Started out with iAtkos S3 with minimal options selected and stock kernel, selected no RTC to avoid KP, all elements worked perfectly apart from shutdown and card reader, even sleep worked.

These are the options that worked for me:

HDD Formated GUID with 1 partition Mac OS Journaled

Bootloader: asere BLN V1.1.9

Options:Graphics Enabler, EHCI Aquire, UHCI Reset

USB: USBBus fix, Quiet Boot*, Legacy Logo*

Patches: Extra Directory, FakeSMC, Disabler

EVO Reboot

Sleep Enabler

Drivers:

Main: Sata/IDE - AHCI SATA

Sound: Voodoo HDA

PS2: Voodoo PS2

Laptop Hardware: Battery, Card Reader (although not working)

NTFS-3G: MAC FUSE, NTFS-3G

Network: Atheros, Broadcom

*optional

10.6.3 to 10.6.5 Update:

Removed sleepeneabler from Extra folder and backed up Extension and Extra folders in order to update to 10.6.5 after downloading "Combo Update from Apple". No Usb after update so restored with 3rr0rists_10.6.5_v2.dmg

update to 10.6.6 after downloading update from apple. Seems better to download from Apple rather than allow software updater to do it, don't know why but general consensus from others seems to confirm this.

Have now found that LAN not working, but I am not bothered as I only use wifi, still waiting for updated sleepenabler and a solution for the shutdown issue. Still despite minor probs runs so much better with Mac osx than it ever did with windows.

Runs all Apple software perfectly ie: Logic Pro, iLife11, FCP7, and new app store.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Mark

• 3 weeks later...
Hi There, don't know if you have found a resolution yet but I am running 10.6.6 on my M6300 now.

Precision M6300

Intel 2.4ghz Core 2 Duo

4GB DDR2 Ram

NVIDIA Quadro FX1600M 512MB

1920 x 1200 px non reflective display

Seagate Momentus 500GB 7200rpm Sata3 HDD

Broadcom BCM57xx 1GBit Ethernet

Apple (Atheros) airport extreme n class Wifi card

Apple Magic Mouse

Apple Bluetooth Keyboard

Started out with iAtkos S3 with minimal options selected and stock kernel, selected no RTC to avoid KP, all elements worked perfectly apart from shutdown and card reader, even sleep worked.

These are the options that worked for me:

HDD Formated GUID with 1 partition Mac OS Journaled

Bootloader: asere BLN V1.1.9

Options:Graphics Enabler, EHCI Aquire, UHCI Reset

USB: USBBus fix, Quiet Boot*, Legacy Logo*

Patches: Extra Directory, FakeSMC, Disabler

EVO Reboot

Sleep Enabler

Drivers:

Main: Sata/IDE - AHCI SATA

Sound: Voodoo HDA

PS2: Voodoo PS2

Laptop Hardware: Battery, Card Reader (although not working)

NTFS-3G: MAC FUSE, NTFS-3G

Network: Atheros, Broadcom

*optional

10.6.3 to 10.6.5 Update:

Removed sleepeneabler from Extra folder and backed up Extension and Extra folders in order to update to 10.6.5 after downloading "Combo Update from Apple". No Usb after update so restored with 3rr0rists_10.6.5_v2.dmg

update to 10.6.6 after downloading update from apple. Seems better to download from Apple rather than allow software updater to do it, don't know why but general consensus from others seems to confirm this.

Have now found that LAN not working, but I am not bothered as I only use wifi, still waiting for updated sleepenabler and a solution for the shutdown issue. Still despite minor probs runs so much better with Mac osx than it ever did with windows.

Runs all Apple software perfectly ie: Logic Pro, iLife11, FCP7, and new app store.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Mark

Thanks for all this. I had just given up & installed Fedora; but now, I'll give this a try within the next two weeks.

EDIT: forgot to ask, did you use v1 or v2 of iAtkos S3 for the original install?

• 1 month later...

mlgboy ->

i got your same config of M6300 but i cannot install from iAtkos S3v2

coz i got stuck at the first silver apple just after chamaleon logo.

any idea of what i could have missed to check?

i disabled lots of options from bios but nothing seems to be the right one!

you guys having problems should boot with -v to see what is causing the problem.

the system hangs after loading TWICE TMSafetyNet.kext

then the error message is

efi_inject_get_devdrop_string NULL trying stringdata

No SMBIOS replacement found

Patched DMI table

• 2 weeks later...

I've got 10.6.3 working pretty well with my new (to me) M6300. I've used most of mlgboy's suggestions, with a few twists of my own. I started with iATKOS s3v2. In order to boot the CD, I had to feed it

-v noacpi

at the boot prompt. Once I got it installed, I did *not* have to modify the kernel options in com.apple.Boot.plist - the installed system boots just fine without it. I used the same options as mlgboy, but was unhappy with the UI performance. Graphic effects seemed sluggish and choppy, so I went into /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration and removed these lines from the file:

<key>arch</key>

<string>i386</string>

This causes the kernel to boot in 64-bit mode. However, the default iATKOS VoodooHDA caused a KP when booting in 64-bit mode. I removed VoodooHDA and played with AppleHDA for a bit but had no luck. I then downloaded Voodoo 2.7.2 and installed it. The laptop booted w/o a KP, but the resulting audio had a fair bit of crackling. I went into the VoodooHDA prefs pane and enabled SSE2 and presto! no more crackling. It seems to sound better than the iATKOS Voodoo to my ear, but I could be wrong.

However I quickly noticed that the battery icon was missing from my menu bar. To resolve this, I went to post #14 in this thread:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=187041

and installed the attached kexts. I now have battery/power management, even in 64-bit mode.

There are still a few issues/quirks. For one, no matter what utility I run, my processor is detected as a 1.81 GHz Core 2 Duo, when I have a T7250 (2.0 GHz). My memory is reported at 604 MHz instead of 667MHz. I also can not shutdown or restart normally. And finally, my menu highlights are purple instead of blue. Huh?

Hopefully this may help someone else, and if I ever have to set it up again, it's now documented on the intertubes.

• 2 months later...

imrazor ->

i just got iAtkos S3v2 working on my M6300.

i have to update battery kext and replace wifi card (i have already).

do you have suggestions for reboot/sleep/shutdown?

i'll soon set up combo update 10.6.7

Sound, Firewire, touchpad, volume buttons, Quadro and Bluetooth working OOB with mlgboy suggestions.

let's ROCK!

UPDATE:

now i'm re-installing from skratch because bootloader failed to fin HDD once i set it up to upgrade 10.6.7 with combo.

Let's find out why.....

• 8 months later...

Hi...

after a long time I tried it again to install it like mlgboy discribed it on my M6300.

And made it run... but I have several points that need still to be solved...

1. I do not know how to stop OSX. All ways (shutdown, sleep, just powering off) lead to a system which seems unbootable. When booting the bootloader says something like this, that the hibernated system is unable to boot... and "use ForceWake=y" ... but using ForceWake does not change anything.

When installing again once again it works - exactly one time :hammer:

2. I need the internal network device (the Broadcom LAN), but I am not able to get it work. Anyone out there who has kext which are working?

3. Which is the safest method afterwards to upgrade from 10.6.3 to another 10.6 version? And which is the latest version known to run with the M6300?

Thanks for any help...