Starcraft 2 installation issues on Hackintosh

jfoo

3 posts in this topic

Hello,

I recently finished building a hackintosh. The machine has a core i7-930, Nvidia 9500GT, and 6GB of RAM. I'm installed using kakewalk, and I've updated the machine to 10.6.4. I'm also using a wifi card to connect to Internet, an Edimax card.

So after installing Starcraft 2 from the DVD, when i try to run it, the machine starts the patch update, downloads a few files, but then it just opens up the "Launcher" and sits there and does nothing. Sometimes in the Blizzard Downloader utility, I see a message that says tracker not responding. I looked into this and configured my router so that I should not be getting this error.

Does anyone have any idea what's going wrong? hackintosh driver issue of some kind, or my wireless card? I installed using the same DVD onto my Macbook Pro, and everything worked fine. I started downloading the installer from Blizzard off battle.net, to see if that will yield different results (haven't tried yet). I'm also thinking that I could take the folder from my Macbook Pro, which has been successfully patched and is running fine, and just copy that to my hackintosh. I'd rather not do that, but if it works...

Anyway, does anyone know what might be wrong? Has anyone else had issues installing?

<br />Hello,<br /><br />I recently finished building a hackintosh. The machine has a core i7-930, Nvidia 9500GT, and 6GB of RAM. I'm installed using kakewalk, and I've updated the machine to 10.6.4. I'm also using a wifi card to connect to Internet, an Edimax card.<br /><br />So after installing Starcraft 2 from the DVD, when i try to run it, the machine starts the patch update, downloads a few files, but then it just opens up the "Launcher" and sits there and does nothing. Sometimes in the Blizzard Downloader utility, I see a message that says tracker not responding. I looked into this and configured my router so that I should not be getting this error.<br /><br />Does anyone have any idea what's going wrong? hackintosh driver issue of some kind, or my wireless card? I installed using the same DVD onto my Macbook Pro, and everything worked fine. I started downloading the installer from Blizzard off battle.net, to see if that will yield different results (haven't tried yet). I'm also thinking that I could take the folder from my Macbook Pro, which has been successfully patched and is running fine, and just copy that to my hackintosh. I'd rather not do that, but if it works...<br /><br />Anyway, does anyone know what might be wrong? Has anyone else had issues installing?<br />
<br /><br /><br />I see no reason not to try a copy from the MacBook. I'd be strongly considering that in your place.

<br /><br /><br />I see no reason not to try a copy from the MacBook. I'd be strongly considering that in your place.

So I tried that, and it still wouldn't work. The game starts up but crashes. I think I might've found the problem. I decided to try and install steam, to see if I could run ANY games from this thing (because it was the primary reason i built this machine). Well, Steam won't even install at all, and it complains that I need to use a case insensitive file system. I made my filesystem case sensitive because the kakewalk guide says to do that, but this seems to be a bad idea!

Anyway, I searched a little bit on google, and I believe starcraft has the same problem with case sensitive file systems. however, the game does not bother mentioning this to you when it hangs or crashes, like Steam does before you can even install it. I'm in the midst of imaging my drive and moving it to another one, then i'll restore from it. But I am cautiously optimistic this will solve my problems.

Lesson Learned: No more case sensitive file systems for gaming machines :D