Installing OSx86 on a MBR Partition Table

Did this guide work for you?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Did this guide work for you?

• Yes
    • No

3 posts in this topic

If you want to use GRUB2, or want to know how to backup the MBR, try this guide

Welcome to my tutorial. You may look like this now :help: I tried to make things as simple as possible. With that, let's see the obligatory warnings...

WARNING!!!

IF YOU CHOOSE TO RESIZE YOUR PARTITION TABLE, BACKUP EVERYTHING ON THAT PARTITION FIRST (preferably on the entire HD)!!! THIS ESPECIALLY APPLIES TO PARTITIONS THAT ARE NOT OF THIS TYPE:

ext* swap fat16 fat32

FAILURE TO BACKUP COULD MAKE YOUR DATA GO :blowup: !!!

This had better be you. :) And on that bombshell let's begin the actual guide

====================

This guide assumes that you are running Window$ and have your distro all set up and got your patches and all that, cause I can't help you with any of that. Your problem right now is that win7 is incompatible with the GPT partitioning scheme and the guide you're following wants one. This guide will tell you how to install osx on a MBR partition table.

#1) Download the GParted LiveCD and any .ISO burning utility (I useImgBurn.)

#2) Burn the GParted .ISO file to disk.

#3) Boot up your GParted LiveCD (you may have to adjust your computer's BIOS to do this) and click the GParted icon on the desktop.

#4) Now you get to do whatever you want. You can resize partitions to make space, you can delete them, etc. GParted is a full featured partition manager os whatever you do, BE CAREFUL!!!

#5) With the free space you have for OSx86, select the free space and click the button that looks like a piece of paper, maybe with a star.

#6) In the new window, name the partition if you so desire, change the partition type to HFS+, and make sure it is a primary partition. Click "Add" (which should make the window go away) then click "Apply" (may just be a green checkmark)

#7) In the window at the top of the screen (where the colored partitions are) right click on the HFS+ partition and click "Manage Flags" from the drop-down menu. Make sure that the "boot" has a check by it. If not, then click the empty box by boot, wait a while and there should be a check there.

#Intermission) Exit GParted (the "X" icon in the upper-right) and eject the cd (while it's still on) Put in your OSx86 CDVD and reboot your machine (You could shutdown, reboot etc... but this works just as well)

#1) Open Disk Utilities (It's in the menu-bar at the top of the screen)

#2) Select our partition (maybe you should have labeled it back in step #6) and go to the "Erase" tab.

#3) Click the "Security Options" button at the bottom of the window and in the drop-down screen, select "Zero Out Data" Click "OK" (which should cause the menu to go away) Give your partition a name if you so desire and click "Erase"

#4) Install to your new partition.

You should look like this now B):) . Don't forget to vote that this tutorial worked! If it didn't, I'll see if I can help you.

THE PROBLEM WITH THIS INSTALL!!!

You will be using an outdated and ugly version of chameleon to load your PC. Sometimes, this bootloader doesn't load Windows/Linux. IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT! If so, you need to update to a later version of chameleon. If you wanted to use the bootloader from some other OS installed on your PC then you should have followed this guide.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...