Dell xps 9000 Cpu halted problem HELP! SL

Spingjp

8 posts in this topic

Hello i have a dell xps 9000 I used empire EFI 1.085.. it does a complete install and after the reboot i put the empire efi cd and booted to it. when i select the OSX hard drive which i installed to it shows a whole bunch of scrolling text and then it says CPU halted and turn the computer off..

i have tried -v,-s,-f still same thing..

I used a snow leopard 10.6.3 disc aka $29 disc.

SPECS

Studio XPS 9000, Intel Core i7-920 processor (8MB L3 Cache 2.66GHz)

8GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz

1024MB nVidia GeForce GT220

Hello i have a dell xps 9000 I used empire EFI 1.085.. it does a complete install and after the reboot i put the empire efi cd and booted to it. when i select the OSX hard drive which i installed to it shows a whole bunch of scrolling text and then it says CPU halted and turn the computer off..

i have tried -v,-s,-f still same thing..

I used a snow leopard 10.6.3 disc aka $29 disc.

SPECS

Studio XPS 9000, Intel Core i7-920 processor (8MB L3 Cache 2.66GHz)

8GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz

1024MB nVidia GeForce GT220

The first time you do this it seems kind of daunting but no reason it should not work. I have xps 9000 as well, same specs as yours but with GT 240 card and only 6GB ram.

You do have empire EFI 1.085r2, correct?

Anyway, it sounds to me like you are perhaps shutting it off early...I did that too but when you get the scrolling and it stops for a bit LEAVE IT for 30 seconds or so, in fact go have a glass of water or beer or something and when you come back it should be ok.

Just to confirm, you boot off empire cd. When prompted eject that and put in OS X disc and hit F5, as soon as you see the OS X installer come up, select disk utilities from menu across the top and partition drive you want even if only 1 partition (make sure to select options and use GUID as format). Once done, close disc utility, then follow instructions to install OS X on that drive. Keep an eye on it near the end of progress bar, and when it wants to restart computer do so but pop the OS X disc out and put the empire cd back in and boot off that (use F12 for boot options if needed and select cd drive - otherwise it won't boot off hard drive yet and will go next available boot device or simply stop)

It will be slow and choppy, with no sound. Don't worry about that for now.

Once in 10.6.3, install "myhack" off the cd, make sure to customize install and select graphics enabler. This allows you to boot off the hard drive and sets you up for selecting the card.

Once that is done open Studio EFI (also on cd) and select card as 9800GT 1024MB or whatever is closest to your card.

Then open kext helper...drag voodoohda into kext helper window, enter password and select 'easy install".

Then open kext utility and run that.

Reboot.

There is some info on these boards if you search xps 9000. Also entire install procedure is posted on youtube with an xps 9000.

Hope that helps.Post when you get it sorted out.

yes i am using empire EFI 1.085r2

when i partition the hdd and select guid partition it give me like a estimated 20 min to install when install is complete i get this warning saying Install failed, mac osx could not be installed on your computer. The installer could not start up the computer from the dsik.

I read on this fourm and others saying that error is false and it still installs.the thing i do is reboot the pc after the install failed error and then i put the efi disc in and select the hdd which it is installed..

then i get the error cpu halted and the pc reboots by it self...

i will try your way when it says restart eject the disc and put the efi in and boot that way.. i will try it around sunday or monday

i will keep you posted

post-511800-1279339406_thumb.jpg

yes i am using empire EFI 1.085r2

when i partition the hdd and select guid partition it give me like a estimated 20 min to install when install is complete i get this warning saying Install failed, mac osx could not be installed on your computer. The installer could not start up the computer from the dsik.

I read on this fourm and others saying that error is false and it still installs.the thing i do is reboot the pc after the install failed error and then i put the efi disc in and select the hdd which it is installed..

then i get the error cpu halted and the pc reboots by it self...

i will try your way when it says restart eject the disc and put the efi in and boot that way.. i will try it around sunday or monday

i will keep you posted

post-511800-1279339406_thumb.jpg

After the install OS X partition (or drive) still can't boot by itself until you install the "My hack" from the cd...so yes once the install is complete, restart with 1.085r2 disc, install the "my hack" on the OS X partition (or drive)once loaded and then you should be able to boot.

Once you boot off the empire efi disc, you should see your new partition (or disc) in the list of drives and should be able to load OS X from there. If you select the OS X partition (or drive) and it still does the same thing then I don't know. Try reformating and installing again? Or perhaps a seperate hard drive for OS X?

Mine didn't give me any errors on the install. You have the Dell bios set up as per empire efi page (AHCI and all that?). Do you know what bios # your machine is? Mine is A15.

Let us know how it goes. Sorry not more help.

matter of fact i am using a seperate hdd when i am doing this install.. i unplug my other hdd and start fresh on this brand new hdd i have..

after the installation is done.. i restart and boot empire efi up.. i select the drive which it is installed to and then it loads a whole bunch of stuff then it says CPU HALTED and reboots the pc

i have bios a16 and yes i have the bios configured the correct way.

matter of fact i am using a seperate hdd when i am doing this install.. i unplug my other hdd and start fresh on this brand new hdd i have..

after the installation is done.. i restart and boot empire efi up.. i select the drive which it is installed to and then it loads a whole bunch of stuff then it says CPU HALTED and reboots the pc

i have bios a16 and yes i have the bios configured the correct way.

I thought it was just an install procedure issue. Once you get into programming its out of my league. There is some info here might help out:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=219835

Prasys's blog site seems to be down right now too. There were two versions of 1.085r2 I recall, have you tried the other one just for a laugh?

I wonder if the BIOS has something to do with it?

You may wish to try [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] as well, works really good on a couple machines friends built.

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/04/ibo...ac-os-x-on.html

Sorry can't be more help... :rolleyes:

ok great new!! i burned the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] disc, put it in and it booted up the mac osx i installed on a seperate hdd.. i set it all up, followed the guide to upgrade to 10.6.4.. then i shut the pc off..

pluged in the other hdd which has windows 7 on it... booted into windows 7.. installed easybcd.. added another entry osx..

rebooted pc and then selected mac osx.. i see the Chameleon logo on the top when i boot into osx using the easybcd method.. i get to white apple logo screen and it keeps spining circle..

so i reboot pc hit f12 boot directly to the other HDD and goes into OSX fine..

So how do i fix this so i can boot to either windows 7 and osx without having to use the f12 menu options?

and i also have no sound in osx.