[Guide] HP DV8, DV7, DV6, & DV5, 10.6.4 Easy, Comprehensive Installation

Mammoth

v2.00 Installation, Update, and Mammoth Installation media  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Is v2.00 something you are interested in and would use?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Which are you most interested in?

• v2.00 Installation Guides
    • v2.00 Post-installation Update Guide

1,266 posts in this topic

===========================================================================

THIS THREAD HAS NOW BEEN DEPRECATED

MAMMOTH VERSION 2.00 HAS LAUNCHED!

DO NOT POST IN THIS OLD THREAD NOW.

Instead, go to our new v2.00 thread here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=250849

(Don't forget to bookmark the new v2.00 thread!)

This old thread now serves as a historical reference only.

Thank you, and see you in the new v2.00 thread!

[near]Vanilla Retail 10.6.4 Installation Guides and Boot CD With Chameleon on its Own Partition

HP DV8t, DV7t, DV6t, and DV5t, such as 1100, 1200, VF836AV, (and others where similar and compatible)

THREAD RULES - PLEASE READ!

#1 (and MOST important)- DO NOT (PM) PERSONAL MESSAGE ME!

- If you are having problems, have questions, want to leave comments for me, whatever, PLEASE do so in the thread! I can NOT help everyone personally. (If ever I win the lottery, maybe this will change.) ; )

- Those who CAN PM are those who I am working with closely on a technical level such as NIXin, Taptun, Gsly, Kizwan, etc. These are people who are highly knowledgeable and we work together to make things better for all of us! ; ) PLEASE, PLEASE, DO NOT PM THEM EITHER! We all read the thread, we all have lives outside of here, so when we have time and can, we will help IN THE THREAD! Sorry, I don't mean to be a jerk, but none of us can answer everyone personally.

Your best chance for help (even from us) is to post everything in the thread. If we don't answer you, it's not personal and we are not ignoring you, we probably just don't have time at the moment. THANK YOU!

#2 - ALL DVx OWNERS - CREATE YOUR SIGNATURE!

Please take the time (right now) to create your signature, if you haven't already done so.

By doing this, everyone will be able to help you more easily and faster. There will be no need to ask you "what your configuration is", as we can put your model number (ex. VF836AV) in HP's web site and look it up. You won't have to keep typing it in everytime someone asks for it, and time won't be wasted wondering what your config is, or waiting for you to respond with it. When you are reporting issues, everyone can simply look at your signature and be able to help you out faster.

Here is how you edit your signature on InsanelyMac.com:

Either click this link: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...rCP&CODE=22

or...

At the top right of the screen, click on the icon of the little gear ("My Controls" when you mouse over it), then on the left under "Personal profile" click the "Edit Signature" link. You can cut and paste my "sample" below (of course edit to match your system), and enter it just as if you were posting a message. You can get fancy with it if you want by adjusting colors, fonts, etc, but make sure it's easy to read.

Sample:

HP DV8t-1100 (VF836AV) | Core i7-720QM 1.6GHz | nVidia GeForce GT 230M w/ 1024MB | 18.4" 1920 x 1080 display | 4GB PC3 RAM | 500GB 72k HD | OS X 10.6.5 & Win7 Ult x64

MAMMOTH VERSION 2.00 HAS JUST LAUNCHED!

Go to our new thread here to get it:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=250849

(Don't forget to bookmark the new v2.00 thread!)

I have to run out now, but will be back later. Much work is needed on the new thread, and this is going to be a community effort to take v2.00 from it's starting point and get it working on all machines.

Gotta go BUT ENJOY!

STATUS UPDATE ON v2.00

2011-03-11 - 8:35 PM GMT -8:00

Hey everyone,

Things are going.... GREAT! Essentially finished all the guides today! (But there is still a little work to do on them).

Now I must start with Guide Part 1 and begging a test installation, going all the way though the entire process and all the guides, just as you will soon be doing. :unsure: Doing this I will find errors and correct them, make sure explanations are as clear as possible, make sure everything works, as documented, etc. In other words, it's QA time!

I am also now finalizing all the files that will be used on the initial v2.00 MIIF. A MIIF is a Mammoth (or Machine) Installation Image File and a MIID is a Mammoth (or Machine) Installation Image Device. A MIID represents any physical installation device, which will most commonly be a USB flash drive / SD card or an external USB drive, but open to other device, present and future. You will use MIIFs to create your MIIDs.

I am hoping I can meet a Sunday release (US date and time), and don't think I can finish everything anytime sooner. I know everyone is eagerly (even anxiously) awaiting the release, as am I, but I won't release until it's ready, so I am just preparing everyone in case I MUST slip to Monday, Tuesday, or GOD FORBID, any later! :P I hate being disappointed, and I hate disappointing others, so I am seriously doing little else in life but work on our v2.00. I am HIGHLY motivated to finish in time for a Sunday release!

UNDERSTAND PLEASE THE FOLLOWING!

#1 With version 2.00, ALL MACHINES that are capable of installing OS X and running WILL be supported by v2.00

That being said, here is the caveat

#2 Not all machines will work OOTB, INITIALLY, on release day of v2.00.

This is because we need to craft DSDTs for some machines we haven't done this for yet. There may be other compatibility issues with your particular machine, say with some kext files, or other configuration related issues. WE WILL SORT these out, we will be building a new file library with needed files to make EVERY machine work!

#3 One of the main things that makes v2.00 so different and important is that it is a PLATFORM based release. This is what will allow us the ability to get ANY compatible machine working.

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THIS

If your machine is one of the ones that will not work right away and more work will be required to make it work, how do we deal with the space between having a working machine as you may previously have had, and having v2.00 that isn't working?

- First, understand you must have the v2.00 platform in order to work to build upon it.

- While I don't cover in the guides how to install to an external USB hard drive, if you are able to make this work, then you could build upon this, then once working, could make the jump to installing to the internal hard drive.

- What is supported in the guides is installing a different internal hard drive, and using this as your test environment. If you already have a great running machine, and need to keep it that way, having a working drive and a test drive I think is a great solution. You can use your working drive when you need a working machine, then when you have time, you can swap drives with your v2.00 test drive and continue to work on it. Drives are cheap these days, REALLY cheap, so this is what I recommend.

So that’s it for now. I’ve got to get back to work now, so enjoy your weekends everyone!

2011-02-15 - 5:38 PM GMT -8:00

GETTING READY GUIDE HAS BEEN UPLOADED!

Hello everyone,

Time for a quick update on the status of v2.00 Guides & Files:

- The installation process is solid. As always, you can't get to everything you set out to get, but there comes a point where you have to say, "that's enough for this round". Things that I can't finish we will have to finish together after the release, otherwise I will be working on it forever!

- The Guides, the guides, the guides! That's what I'm mainly working on now. About 85% of the original guides have been completely re-written, with about 15% of the originals still being relevant and included. I have a lot of additional information to impart to you all, including all the new features, plus rearranging and reorganizing all of the guides.

- Compatibility. I mentioned the installation process as being "solid", and it is, for my machine. Once I get the new guides done enough (as they are the hardest, most time consuming part of the project), I will switch gears back to having some BETA testers try some things out on their machines. If the guides are nearly done, then once the BETA testing PASSES, then I will be able to release shortly after that.

- There are a few other things I would still like to spend a little more time on to see if I can get them working, but if not, like I said, we will just have to work on those together.

So I am going to put a ROUGH ESTIMATE of SOMEWHERE around March 1st as a POSSIBLE release window. If things go fairly smoothly, and I am able to take time and continue to work on this, then that estimate becomes possible, but NOT guaranteed. I don't want to get people's hopes up, and then let you down. I'm just trying to give you an idea of how much work I have left to do, and how long it should take to finish it.

That's it. Try to keep your questions to a minimum, as answering questions and working on side issues takes time away from the big project.

This release is for all of you, so hang tight 'til it's worthy of release!

2011-02-06 - 6:00 PM GMT -8:00

GETTING READY GUIDE HAS BEEN UPLOADED!

GET IT BELOW IN THE FILES SECTION.

Please post in the thread how it works for you.

Thanks,

Mammoth!

2011-01-06 - 10:15 PM GMT -8:00

Next step to new Installation Guides and CD: WE NEED AN INTEL, i3, i5, and i7 REPOSITORY OF DSDT FILES for HP DVx LAPTOPS

You will be able to find it on post #1

Hey everyone, before the new guides and CD can be made available, we need accurate, custom DSDT files for our various configured laptops. We will list them with the following information as in this sample:

HP DV8t-1200 (WF681AV)

BIOS: InSyde - F.25

Core i5 450M 2.4GHz

nVidia GeForce GT 230M w/ 1024MB

DSDT (Mammoth v1.00 - date)

[link to file will be here]

They will be labeled as "Mammoth versions" so that people will know where the DSDT originated from and where they need to go for support, new versions, etc. However, we will be relying on NIXin (and others) for their actual creation.

Also, even though we will list the exact machine model number (such as HP DV8t-1200 [WF681AV]), as long as the primary components are the same, a DSDT may be perfectly suitable for other comparable machines. I guess as we find out we can add other working machine info to a DSDT. I think the most important thing to stress is that the CPU class and model number MUST match! For example, a DSDT created on and for a "Core i5 450M" CPU must NEVER be used on another machine, no matter how close other components may be, if the CPU in THAT machine is not also exactly, a "Core i5 450M" CPU.

We need to work with NIXin on creating our DSDTs, so this should be the process so that we can make sure the DSDTs are truly valid.

1) Check Post #1 of this thread in the FILES section to see if a DSDT suitable for your machine already exists.

2) If not, we will be posting further instructions soon, such as where to get the auto-patcher (if you don't know) and how to use it. Info may already be available to allow you to create your DSDT.

3) If you know (and it is true) that a proper DSDT or script has NOT yet been created for your machine, DO NOT PM NIXin! (If he asks you to for some reason, that's different.)

4) Post your machine info and clean DSDT in the thread and there is where you ask NIXin for his help. If and when he can get to it, then he probably will, but understand he is not obligated to do so.

5) Once you have worked with him and he has been able to create a script for your machine, then your DSDT can be generated.

6) NIXin, and only NIXin, will let me know when a DSDT is ready to be added to our DSDT repository. This will happen once the two of you have worked out any issues.

THANKS, and once we get these DSDTs, we are going to be ready to go!

:)

2010-12-29 - 02:15 PM GMT -8:00

PROGRESS REPORT ON v1.20 Installation Guide and CD

As most are aware, BETA testing has begun on the new CD. We still need i3 and i5 testers, so please read the post below about that if interested in being a BETA tester.

With the major groundwork now laid and with the BETA testing of the new Mammoth Installation CD underway, I have begun writing the new guides.

You may have already surmised that all of this work will most likely not be completed by January 1, 2011, and I would have to agree. While it is still feasible, I don't think it's likely. The truth is, even if I could have it all ready for the 1st, there are some things going on at Apple that are good enough reason to hold off on the release.

Apple is about to release OS X 10.6.6 and this will probably be on January 6th, or sooner. I am REALLY hoping they will be releasing this not only as an update, but as a Retail DVD release. That would be REALLY great news for us. The guide would be much simpler and shorter if we could use a retail 10.6.6 DVD to install. No big combo updates, and who knows what other issues could be resolved. But whether 10.6.6 is released as an update or DVD, we will still need a new 10.6.6 kernel, so hopefully Taptun can help us out with that again! ;) Also, I want to get us the latest AppleHDA patched kext for our audio. This means the guides AND Installation CDs will need to be updated. So you see, it doesn't make sense to put out a new release without it including 10.6.6 in it.

There are also a few things several of us are working on that aren't ready yet, such as our battery solution, more DSDT work, the GenericBrightness.kext, and a few other items.

So at this time I think late January 2011 is a realistic projected time frame when we might have everything ready.

I want this to be a very solid release and to provide a lot of improvements over the previous releases, so please remain patient. It's a lot of work by a lot people to make this all happen, so it just takes time.

Thanks!

Mammoth

2010-12-27 - 11:00 PM GMT -8:00

OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT

* * BETA TESTERS * *

First BETA "Mammoth DVx Install CD" is available for testing! Please read the following if interested in being a BETA tester.

DO NOT PM (send Personal Messages) to me (Mammoth)!

There is no reason to ask to be a BETA tester by sending me a PM. The PM system on InsanelyMac is terribly limited and small and forces one to constantly have to delete messages. Post your request IN THE THREAD or you will NOT be answered. PM requests to BETA test WILL be deleted and not replied to. If you post in the thread, then you WILL be answered and I will send you ONE PM with a link to the BETA. All of our interaction will be in the thread and NOT via PM. Thanks.

I will only be making available to select people with current i3, i5, and i7 series HP DVx machines. I do have a Core2 Duo DV5 build for testing also, but testing for any other machines will come later.

Only those who have generated proper machine specific DSDTs either with NIXin's help or by successfully using the patcher with his scripts, will qualify for this first round testing. (Look around Page 40 for info on that).

There are NO guides involved in this first BETA test, and NONE of the files (if found in the CDs Installation directory), have been updated (they are ALL the same files found on the v1.15 Update CD), so DO NOT attempt to complete an installation using them. This directory WILL be fully updated for the final release.

This BETA test is only to see if we can successfully boot and start the OS X installer on machines which were unable to with previous releases. It is designed to try to make as many machines supportable as possible.

You will need a clean, INTERNALLY INSTALLED hard drive in order to participate in this BETA and for your results to be any help to this project.

If you meet all of the above requirements and would like to participate and receive the BETA for testing, please post so (but DO NOT PM me! Post in the thread.) and provide:

- Your InsanelyMac user ID

- Your complete HP Pavilion DVx machine model number (so I can look it up on HP's site if needed)

- Which CPU you have (i3, i5, or i7) [i PRIMARILY NEED i3 AND i5 TESTERS AT THIS TIME]

- "YES", that you will be able to install to a hard drive (as outlined above)

- Which GPU you have (nVidia or ATI, and model number) having either one is still fine for this test

- And post your DSDT that was created with NIXin's help [Let's NOT overload him with requests however please].

Even if you have previously provided this information elsewhere, please provide it again so it's all in one place, and I don't have to waste time searching for it.

Thanks, we are getting closer and closer.

2010-12-01 - 12:55 PM GMT -8:00

OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT

Work has officially begun on v1.20 of the Mammoth DVx Installation Guides, Update Guide,

and Mammoth DVx Boot CD!

I am shooting for a target release date of:

January 1st, 2011

(Current projection, and subject to change.)

For those who may be new to this thread and eager to get OS X installed on your DVx, I

wouldn’t wait for v1.20 though (unless by the time you read this it is close to the release date. ;) You can

use the current guides and boot CD as the release is only a target, which may slip. You will gain a lot of

knowledge and if followed to the letter, will have a perfectly working OS X installation when finished. Your

new HacBook Pro system will only be about a month or so old by

the time of the release, so at that point you could decide to blow it all away and start fresh, and with the

knowledge gained, do it faster and better. ; )

Here are some of the improvements and changes that are anticipated to be incorporated into the coming release:

• Fully 10.6.5
  • Fully 64-bit!
  • Updated with latest Chameleon
  • All guides / docs streamlined and updated
  • USB stick version of the Mammoth DVx Boot CD

• (Fastest boot, easiest to update, best for troubleshooting, saves wasted bad CD burns)

• Most correct audio (inputs/outputs, such as headphones)
  • Closest to a real MacBook Pro ever on our systems!
  • Accurate info in “About This Mac”

• Fully specific and correct smbios info for our systems

• Updated FakeSMC, and customized for our systems

• Most updated and correct DSDT to date
  • Fastest performance ever (as measured using GeekBench 64-bit)
  • Most stable system ever!
  • NO MORE VOODOO ANYTHING!

• Full battery support (WITHOUT Voodoo!)

• Full keyboard and TrackPad support (WITHOUT Voodoo!)

• Temperature and fan speed monitoring!
  • Time will be consistent whether booting into Windows or OS X
  • Fully functioning SpeedStep!
  • Perhaps some of the HP laptop specific keys working.
  • And of course… much, much more! ;)

As the project progresses and details emerge, I will post more to the above list.

These improvements are courtesy of many people’s contributions, and as always, they will be credited in

the guides. ; )

Many of the above fixes / improvements are already available, but you will have to comb through the

thread to find them. If you have the "know how" and desire, you can implement those you can find. For

everyone else, they will all be incorporated in the new release, so hang tight.

YOU MAY BE ABLE TO HELP!

Below are some of the lingering issues we don’t currently have solutions for. If you are able to

provide any help with these (even searching the net to maybe find some of these have been solved

elsewhere). I would really like to be able to add any fixes possible to this next release, so let me

know and provide working links to info about the issues/fixes. Thanks!

Here is the list of our issues, as far as I know, we aren’t currently able to include in the next

release, but would like to:

• In System Profiler, under Hardware, Diagnostics, the result always reads “Failed”.

• I would really like to fix this, actually find out what’s wrong and fix it.

• I think it is a DSDT issue, but either way I think we can solve this.

• Still no working Brightness Slider control in System Preferences
  • Audio “popping” sound when a sound is first played and then shortly after finishing.
  • I would like to get the Biometric finger print reader working.

• I know this is not likely to happen anytime soon.

If you know of other issues that should be added to this list, please let me know.

* ABOUT THIS METHOD *

The following describes the objectives of this installation method:

- Be able to multi-boot 2 installations of OS X and also Windows 7 all on a single hard drive.

- Creation of a repair partition for booting to OS X when your main installation has failed so you can work on it

- Have Chameleon on its own partition, NOT on the EFI partition, but still on the same hard drive as OS X and Windows 7 is installed on.

Benefits to Chameleon on it's own partition are as follows:

* Chameleon is easily accessible

* Very simple to update

* Never any need to mess with permissions

* Very easy to add/update the DSDT (and other) files

* Unlike using the EFI partition, no need to mount/unmount ever to make changes

* Plenty of room to store backup copies of files / other versions for testing

Get ready for the FASTEST installation of Windows 7 on your Hack that you have ever seen! Using the Mammoth guide here, this is literally what the procedure is:

1) Setup / Install OS X as outlined in the Mammoth Guide

2) Ghost an image of your Windows 7 (either your factory image / or what you are currently using)

3) Restore the image according to the guide

4) Boot and start using either OS X or Windows 7!

* HP DV8t-1100 (VF836AV) Specifications *

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-720QM 1.6GHz, 6MB, L2C

Memory: Installed: 4GB (2GB x 2GB) [Maximum: 8GB] Type/Speed: DDR3/1333MHz

Video: NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 230M GPU w/ 1024 MB

Sound: IDT 92HD75B3 Audio Controller

LAN: Realtek RTL8168D/8111D PCI-E Gigabit

Wi-Fi: Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 (622ANHMW)

Optical Disc: Lightscribe + Blu-ray DVD +/-R/RW drive

* FILES SECTION *

INTEL, i3, i5, and i7 DSDT REPOSITORY for HP DVx LAPTOPS

WARNING!! IF YOU USE THE WRONG DSDT FOR YOUR MACHINE, YOU CAN DAMAGE YOUR CPU DUE TO IMPROPER SPEEDSTEP SETTINGS!

It is most important to stress that the CPU class and model number the DSDT was made for MUST match the machine you intend to use it on! For example, a DSDT created on, and for, a "Core i5 450M" CPU must NEVER be used on another machine, no matter how close other components may be, if the CPU in THAT machine is not also exactly a "Core i5 450M". YOU may DAMAGE whatever it actually is, so USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

i7

=========================================================================

HP DV8t-1100 (VF836AV)

BIOS: InSyde F.25

Core i7 720QM 1.6GHz

i5

HP DV8t-1200 (WF681AV)

BIOS: InSyde ??????

Core i5 450M 2.4GHz

i3

TrackPad Preference Pane Fix - Posted 2010-08-31 @ 12:55 PM GMT -8:00

TrackPadPPaneFix.zip

Mammoth DVxt Boot USB - v1.15a - Posted 2011-02-05 @ 9:40 PM GMT -8:00 NEW FILE!

MammDVxtUSBv1.15a.zip

Mammoth DVxt Boot CD - v1.15a - Posted 2011-02-05 @ 9:40 PM GMT -8:00 NEW VERSION!

MammothDVxtBootCDv1.15a.zip

Mammoth DVxt Boot CD - v1.15 - Posted 2010-08-24 @ 12:30 AM GMT -8:00 Old version

MammothDVxtBootCDv1.15.zip

Post-installation Update Guide - v1.15 - Posted 2010-08-24 @ 12:30 AM GMT -8:00 Current version

Post_installGuide_HP_DVxt_1.15.pdf.zip

Mammoth DVx Boot CD - v1.10 - Posted 2010-06-27 @ 12:32 PM GMT -8:00 old version

MammothDVxBootCDv1.10.zip

Getting Ready Guide v2.00 - Posted 2011-02-06 @ 6:00 PM GMT -8:00NEW FILE!

GettingReadyGuide_HP_DVx_2.00.zip

Part 1 - Preparation - Posted 2010-06-27 @ 12:50 PM GMT -8:00 Current version

1InstallGuide_HP_DV8t_VF836AV_P1_1.10.pdf.zip

Part 2 - Installing OS X - Posted 2010-06-27 @ 12:50 PM GMT -8:00 Current version

2InstallGuide_HP_DV8t_VF836AV_P2_1.10.pdf.zip

Part 3 - Installing Chameleon - Posted 2010-06-27 @ 12:50 PM GMT -8:00 Current version

3InstallGuide_HP_DV8t_VF836AV_P3_1.10.pdf.zip

Part 4 - DV8t-1100 Customizations - Posted 2010-06-27 @ 12:32 PM GMT -8:00 Current version

4InstallGuide_HP_DV8t_VF836AV_P4_1.10.pdf.zip

Reroute WiFi Antenna Modification - v1.10 - Posted 2010-07-26 @ 12:33 AM GMT -8:00 Current version

DV8t_1100_Reroute_WiFi_Antenna_Cable_Modification___Version_1.10.pdf.zip

Reroute WiFi Antenna Modification - Picture Pack - Parts - Posted 2010-07-20 @ 1:58 AM GMT -8:00

PartsPicPack.zip

Reroute WiFi Antenna Modification - Picture Pack - Procedure - Posted 2010-07-20 @ 1:58 AM GMT -8:00

ProcedurePicPack.zip

* CURRENT STATUS OF FUNCTIONALITY *

Working CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-720QM 1.6GHz, 6MB, L2C (4 cores, 8 threads, [modified kernel required])

Working Video: NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 230M GPU w/ 1024 MB (Fully w/ QE/CI)

Working Sound: IDT 92HD75B3 Audio Controller (Details in Post-installation Update Guide v1.15)

Working Firewire

Working eSATA and combo USB ports

Working LAN: Realtek RTL8168D/8111D PCI-E Gigabit

Working Wi-Fi: Any Apple supported WiFi card! (Must do antenna cable reroute modification. See FILES section)

Not working Wi-Fi: Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 (622ANHMW)

Working Optical Disc: Lightscribe + Blu-ray DVD +/-R/RW drive

Working Bluetooth

Working Webcam

* CURRENT / KNOWN ISSUES *

If you know the fix for any of these, please let us know. Thanks!

1) Chess does not work. FIXED!

After completing the Post-installation Update Guide v1.15 procedures, you will finally be able to play Chess!

2) Machine can go to a black screen Should all be fixed after release of v1.20 Installation

If some undetermined Energy Saver settings are used, the machine can go to a black screen and the machine must be powered off. Sometimes this results in a drive that needs to be repaired.

WORKROUND: Disable all Energy Saver settings.

3) "Loaded HFS+ file: [system/library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist]" issue. NEW EASY FIX!

This IS related to hibernation. On a normal boot, the entry following SystemVersion.plist relates to hibernation, "Hibernate image is too old by xxxx seconds. Use ForceWake=Y to override". When this issue occurs, we don't see this entry. This will happen if the machine locks-up (especially due to failed sleep attempt). The ease fix is to use the following Chameleon boot parameter when this happens: Wake=no

THANKS TO KIZWAN FOR PROVIDING THIS!

4) Time is wrong when booting into Windows 7 after being in OS X (or other OS). FIXED!

The following fix and information is from InsanelyMac user gsly!

"I triple boot OS X, Win 7 and Ubuntu and the clock issue drove me nuts too. OS X stores time as UTC, so I set Linux so it knew the local clock was UTC via the normal control panels."

For Win 7, you need to set a registry key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation]

"RealTimeIsUniversal"=dword:00000001

"Then if you correctly set your timezone on all three operating systems, none of them will change the clock and just adjust the displayed time according to that zone's info with regards to DST (if applicable). I also set up NTP on all as well to fix clock drift."

I think this is probably the link I used long ago:

http://prasys.info/2010/01/fixing-time-syn...ith-osxwindows/

"Problem solved...."

* CONFIGURATION INFORMATION *

These represent our current configuration. We still need many DSDT and SMBIOS edits, and I'm sure there are some other kext files we need. We don't want to just start throwing things in the mix, but only what we know we need and will work.

Current versions of files can be found in /Install/Extra1.15/Extensions/ on Mammoth DVxt Boot CD v1.15

IN /CHAM/EXTRA/EXTENSIONS/:

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

ApplePS2Controller.kext

EvOreboot.kext

FakeSMC.kext

VoodooBattery.kext

RealtekR1000SL.kext (v2.0.0d1 Chuck Fry - 2009)

AppleHDA.kext

IN /SYSTEM/LIBRARY/EXTENSIONS/:

NOTHING!

Starting with the Post-installation Update Guide v1.15 and Mammoth DVxt Boot CD v1.15, there is never a need to add any kext files to /S/L/E/, including RealtekR1000SL.kext and modified AppleHDA.kext. All can be placed in /Cham/Extra/Extensions, then using the script ChamExtUp, an Extensions.mkext is created in /Cham/Extra/ which the kernel can load early, just as is needed for kext files belonging in /S/L/E/

* LINKS TO OTHER HP DVx FORUMS AND THREADS *

If you know of any other good ones, please let us know and I will add them.

UPDATED 20.12. GenericBrightness.kext, Control LCD brightness with acpi brightness methods

HP DVx AppleACPIBatteryManager Driver, Battery manager driver for HP DVx laptops

How to calculate busratio for any CPU, current or future.

List of ALL Intel Core i3/i5/i7 Processors w/ busratios

BlackOSX's install guide for GA-EP45-DS3L

[GUIDE] Snow Leopard on HP dvx Quad Core

HP Insyde BIOS cpus=1 fix, that's the kernel fix

HP DV7-3085DX cannot boot without cpus=1

[GUIDE]: The macBookPro18 Project, Vanilla Snow on HDX18

* CREDITS *

BlackOSX has written what I believe to be the best guide for installing OS X (on a GA-EP45-DS3L). Much of the info and procedures I will present in this thread are heavily based on his terrific work. You can visit his thread here: BlackOSX's install guide for GA-EP45-DS3L

Hey there Mammoth,

I think I can provide you with some help if you like. I recently bought the DV-7 version (HP Pavilion DV7-3150ED (WC161EA)), which has almost the same specs as the DV8t-1100 (VF836AV). There are 3 big differences which are:

- CPU (mine i5 430M, yours i7 720QM)

- Graphics card (mine G105M, yours GT230M)

- Screen size (mine 17,3 inch 1600x900 WXGA++, yours 18,4 inch 1920x1080 Full HD 1080p)

The rest of the specs are almost literally the same. So I think this guide will work for most of the DV7 users aswell.

NOTE TO ALL USERS: THESE LAPTOPS HAVE EFI!

I started experimenting with SL OSX on my DV7. First off I tried the USB method with myhack, without any succes. I couldn't get the retail image to boot (maybe because I didn't have a patched DSDT), so I tried the newest iAtkos distro as I did not yet owned an original copy of the Snow Leopard disc (but now I do as I want a Vanilla installation). This was a bad choice! Because of the distro not asking me where to install the bootloader (Chameleon), it overwrited my EFI partition! (The distro automatically installs the bootloader to the first partition of the hard drive, which is the EFI partition..) Which resulted in a brand new laptop that could not get past the bios, even not boot BootCD's or USB's. So at the moment I can't use my laptop at all because of the overwrited EFI partition..

This is a warning for al the new Pavillion users who are planning to install OSX on their laptop using distro's like hazard/iatkos etc..

Tip: just buy a retail disc of SL and install the bootloader on a different partition (follow Mammoth's guide, the guy is the best)

Mammoth, do you have any idea how I can solve this? Or is it neccesary to contact the HP Helpdesk and tell them that I tried to install MacOSX software on non apple hardware? :P  I think I seriously damaged my desktop by messing with the EFI partition..

Finally, thank you for all your hard work and contribution to the community! I'm looking forward to the guides. Keep up the good work  :)

Erik

Hey there Mammoth,

I think I can provide you with some help if you like. I recently bought the DV-7 version (HP Pavilion DV7-3150ED (WC161EA)), which has almost the same specs as the DV8t-1100 (VF836AV). There are 3 big differences which are:

- CPU (mine i5 430M, yours i7 720QM)

- Graphics card (mine G105M, yours GT230M)

- Screen size (mine 17,3 inch 1600x900 WXGA++, yours 18,4 inch 1920x1080 Full HD 1080p)

The rest of the specs are almost literally the same. So I think this guide will work for most of the DV7 users aswell.

NOTE TO ALL USERS: THESE LAPTOPS HAVE EFI!

I started experimenting with SL OSX on my DV7. First off I tried the USB method with myhack, without any succes. I couldn't get the retail image to boot (maybe because I didn't have a patched DSDT), so I tried the newest iAtkos distro as I did not yet owned an original copy of the Snow Leopard disc (but now I do as I want a Vanilla installation). This was a bad choice! Because of the distro not asking me where to install the bootloader (Chameleon), it overwrited my EFI partition! (The distro automatically installs the bootloader to the first partition of the hard drive, which is the EFI partition..) Which resulted in a brand new laptop that could not get past the bios, even not boot BootCD's or USB's. So at the moment I can't use my laptop at all because of the overwrited EFI partition..

This is a warning for al the new Pavillion users who are planning to install OSX on their laptop using distro's like hazard/iatkos etc..

Tip: just buy a retail disc of SL and install the bootloader on a different partition (follow Mammoth's guide, the guy is the best)

Mammoth, do you have any idea how I can solve this? Or is it neccesary to contact the HP Helpdesk and tell them that I tried to install MacOSX software on non apple hardware? :D  I think I seriously damaged my desktop by messing with the EFI partition..

Finally, thank you for all your hard work and contribution to the community! I'm looking forward to the guides. Keep up the good work  ;)

Erik

Hey Eric,

Thanks very much for the kind words. : ) Also thanks for alerting everyone to the potential issues with the EFI partition.

I haven't run into this issue yet, so I'm not sure what to have you try. Do you have another hard drive you can put in the machine and see if you can install? I know on my DV8t I can press the ESC key at power on and then there are a few choices such as to run diagnostics, etc. Are you saying you can't even get into BIOS?

Let me know if you can get in to that Esc menu, but from what you have said, it sounds like no. What do you see and hear when you power on? Do you get anything on the display?

Mammoth

I know that I can't help you yet, but I will in the near future as I'm determined to get the EFI/BIOS fixed, so eventually more laptops of the Pavillion series will be supported.

Indeed, I literally even can't get into or past the bios. Normally the BIOS is used to detect the hardware, but now, with the EFI partition gone, it can't even detect the hardware anymore resulting in a laptop which hangs at the very first boot screen (the first HP welcome screen where you can hit the ESC button to get into the BIOS). If I press the Esc button it won't respond, F8, F9 and so forth won't work either, it will make a sound tone everytime I press a button. The BIOS relies on the EFI partition, and with it gone, the BIOS is dead meat.. I can't do anything, I tried many many things. On the HP site they said if you press down the 4 arrows key in combination with the power button of the laptop, the BIOS itself will reset. Even that, without luck, the bios is not working anymore, because of the lost EFI..

So I think it's better to make a special warning in your guide which will alert people of this possible &*^$ up and to take extra security measures before continuing; Backing UP not only the Recovery partition, but also the EFI partition & the HP Tools partition (actually the whole drive), so you can restore the laptop to it's state of purchase. I know that not everyone will replace the Harddrive with a new one like you did for the OSX installation, so the backups are Really important...

I'm not familiar with replacing harddrives in laptops. The guarantee, will it break if you replace the harddrive with a new one?? On top of my DV7's harddrive there is a type of protection layer, brown-like plastic stuff. How do you get the harddrive out without breaking this and the guarantee? I think that many people don't know how to replace a laptop harddrive just like me because of al the things mentioned above, an extra for the guide??

Thnx in advance  :D

Erik

I know that I can't help you yet, but I will in the near future as I'm determined to get the EFI/BIOS fixed, so eventually more laptops of the Pavillion series will be supported.

Indeed, I literally even can't get into or past the bios. Normally the BIOS is used to detect the hardware, but now, with the EFI partition gone, it can't even the detect the hardware anymore resulting in a laptop which hangs at the very first boot screen (the first HP welcome screen where you can hit the ESC button to get into the BIOS). If I press the Esc button it won't respond, F8, F9 and so forth won't work either, it will make a sound tone everytime I press a button. The BIOS relies on the EFI partition, and with it gone, the BIOS is dead meat.. I can't do anything, I tried many many things. On the HP site they said if you press down the 4 arrows key in combination with the power button of the laptop, the BIOS itself will reset. Even that, without luck, the bios is not working anymore, because of the lost EFI..

So I think it's better to make a special warning in your guide which will alert people of this possible &*^$ up and to take extra security measures before continuing; Backing UP not only the Recovery partition, but also the EFI partition & the HP Tools partition (actually the whole drive), so you can restore the laptop to it's state of purchase. I know that not everyone will replace the Harddrive with a new one like you did for the OSX installation, so the backups are Really important...

I'm not familiar with replacing harddrives in laptops. The guarantee, will it break if you replace the harddrive with a new one?? On top of my DV7's harddrive there is a type of protection layer, brown-like plastic stuff. How do you get the harddrive out without breaking this and the guarantee? I think that many people don't know how to replace a laptop harddrive just like me because of al the things mentioned above, an extra for the guide??

Thnx in advance  ;)

Erik

First of all, you make some really good points. I strongly recommend backing up the entire drive, and have that in the guide. Also, creating the recovery discs. Were you able to make yours before it crashed?

Ok here is some info that might be helpful to you. You're talking about the EFI "partition" and the partition is on the hard drive, correct? The BIOS does not rely on the hard drive (at all) in order to allow you to get in and make BIOS changes. You can take the hard drive out of just about any machine and still get into the BIOS. So I think what you are looking at is a more serious hardware failure or BIOS corruption issue. Often a bad or loose memory module can cause those symptoms.

Taking out the hard drive should be very easy, it is on my DV8. You just remove the screws and panel underneath the laptop, then the drive is literally just "laying" in there, not mounted. On the left side there is a cable that connects the drive, and you just pull-up on the tab above the connector and the drive should lift out. Then you just -carefully- disconnect the cable.

There should be a BIOS reset function (other than pressing the keys), that will fix that issue. There is a button or switch someone on the underside of the laptop, but HP would have to tell you about this. Or you may be able to disconnect the CMOS battery and let it drain, which would reset the BIOS (unless it's a corruption issue).

Mammoth

I know the BIOS has nothing to do with the harddrive, and that the EFI is connected to the BIOS aswell, but then why is it so that after I installed the iAtkos distro I could not boot my laptop anymore? Look the distro only installs files to the harddrive, but if the EFI wasn't on the harddrive it should not have been adapted.. That means that the EFI is somewhere on the harddrive, most probably on the beginning of the harddrive. I don't know if we talk about the beginning of the drive we should talk in terms like "partitions", maybe it's the MBR that has been adapted..

I also know that I can reset the Bios by disconnecting the CMOS BIOS battery and put it back in, but that will not restore EFI. HP did not told me anything about a button or switch that will reset the BIOS on the underside of the laptop.

I contacted HP help desk and just told them the truth. I said that I tried to install MacOSX on non apple hardware, and that I probably overwrited the EFI "partition/MBR?" of the drive. First off he did not knew that my laptop had EFI  :D , he asked around and came back to me with these words: "You have a really really serious problem.. This is most likely not going to be fixed, just play dumb and return the laptop to the shop you've bought it from, so you can get a new one for it in return". Later he said, "you should've bought a cheaper notebook to play with OSX" (so he did not rejected the possibility of running OSX on non apple hardware haha - official help desks don't deny it!). So yeah I'm screwed...  ;)

Erik

crverik:

I know what you're talking about.

I think you're right. There is a 199MB partition (which should be the EFI) that HP has. I checked up Disc Management and found this one. I know what really happenend. When you used one of the distros to install Mac OS X, you would have incorrectly selected the 199MB partition instead of selecting the primary C: partition for install.

Just call HP again and let them know that you upgraded your BIOS from version A to version B and after it finished successfully, tell them your system didn't even boot at all. They will send you a new HDD which you can install and send them back the fried one.

Mammoth:

I don't know whether to back up the entire HDD before attempting to install SL thru the Boot CD.

I have a DV7 1211tx

I previously had a triple boot of vista, 7 RC and ideneb 10.5.6. But that was a year ago. I'm only on 7 home premium now.

If I brought snow leopard and installed it using your guide would it work on my laptop? Will I have great support for drivers and good performance?

I'm keeping an eye on these posts.

Looking forward to this ;)

crverik:

I know what you're talking about.

I think you're right. There is a 199MB partition (which should be the EFI) that HP has. I checked up Disc Management and found this one. I know what really happenend. When you used one of the distros to install Mac OS X, you would have incorrectly selected the 199MB partition instead of selecting the primary C: partition for install.

Just call HP again and let them know that you upgraded your BIOS from version A to version B and after it finished successfully, tell them your system didn't even boot at all. They will send you a new HDD which you can install and send them back the fried one.

When I opened up Disk Util in the iAtkos installation I remember there was a 199mb partition, called SYSTEM, is that right? I also do think that's the EFI partition I've lost.. But the thing is I did not incorrectly select the EFI partition; I selected the partition where Windows 7 was on and erased it to HFS+ Extended Journal, leaving the HP Tools and RECOVERY partitions untouched. The iAtkos installer automatically installs Chameleon to the 1st partition of the drive otherwise the bootloader will not start as first on MBR tabled harddrives.

So I think that's what happened. And I also thought of a way to fix it, but don't know if it will work; If someone makes an image of the 199mb EFI partition, uploads it so I can download it and finally restore it on my harddrive. The thing is will DV8t EFI partition work with my DV7-3150ED, any thoughts?

Mammoth:

The guides are Super, read all of them. Keep up the good work! It's a shame that I can't test it at the moment but I hopefully will in the near future. I have some feedback/questions:

- This guide is assuming that you use the GUID partition table right? Will this guide also work for MBR?

- I saw that your replacement harddrive does not have the SYSTEM (199mb) partition, do you still have EFI??

- Under UPDATING TO LEGACY KERNEL, you talk about cpus=1 and busratio=12. I have a link to a topic on tonymacs86's forum where you can see all the busratio's. It might be handy for other Pavillion series users to check which busratio will fit with their CPU: List of ALL Intel Core i3/i5/i7 Processors w/busratios

- I really think you should put in a notification in the guides about the EFI thing of our laptops, as I REALLY damaged my laptop..

Erik

I have a DV7 1211tx

I previously had a triple boot of vista, 7 RC and ideneb 10.5.6. But that was a year ago. I'm only on 7 home premium now.

If I brought snow leopard and installed it using your guide would it work on my laptop? Will I have great support for drivers and good performance?

I'm keeping an eye on these posts.

Looking forward to this :P

It's very possible that they are close enough that this guide will work. Look up the specs at HP.com and post them here and I'll let you know what I think.

Yes, I plan to provide great support and to continue to improve our installations and get our machines as close to perfect as possible.

Mammoth

When I opened up Disk Util in the iAtkos installation I remember there was a 199mb partition, called SYSTEM, is that right? I also do think that's the EFI partition I've lost.. But the thing is I did not incorrectly select the EFI partition; I selected the partition where Windows 7 was on and erased it to HFS+ Extended Journal, leaving the HP Tools and RECOVERY partitions untouched. The iAtkos installer automatically installs Chameleon to the 1st partition of the drive otherwise the bootloader will not start as first on MBR tabled harddrives.

So I think that's what happened. And I also thought of a way to fix it, but don't know if it will work; If someone makes an image of the 199mb EFI partition, uploads it so I can download it and finally restore it on my harddrive. The thing is will DV8t EFI partition work with my DV7-3150ED, any thoughts?

Mammoth:

The guides are Super, read all of them. Keep up the good work! It's a shame that I can't test it at the moment but I hopefully will in the near future. I have some feedback/questions:

- This guide is assuming that you use the GUID partition table right? Will this guide also work for MBR?

- I saw that your replacement harddrive does not have the SYSTEM (199mb) partition, do you still have EFI??

- Under UPDATING TO LEGACY KERNEL, you talk about cpus=1 and busratio=12. I have a link to a topic on tonymacs86's forum where you can see all the busratio's. It might be handy for other Pavillion series users to check which busratio will fit with their CPU: List of ALL Intel Core i3/i5/i7 Processors w/busratios

- I really think you should put in a notification in the guides about the EFI thing of our laptops, as I REALLY damaged my laptop..

Erik

Thanks Erik for checking out the guides and providing feedback so quickly!

- On your GUID vs. MBR question, you would have to be more specific. It works with an MBR partition with Windows 7, for example, and that partition becomes bootable and is NTFS. My guides are very specific, so if someone wants to test doing things a bit different, they can report success or failure here and I could add that info to future versions of the guides.

- If you look at the picture on page 5 of guide Part 2, you will see the "SYSTEM" partition listed as being 209.7 MB on disk0s1 and that its type is EFI.

- I like the recommendation of posting the range of bus ratios. I'll add that. ; )

- On posting about your EFI issue, I don't understand enough about your issue to be able to talk about it accurately enough. There are several assumptions being made, but not enough facts. As I tried to explain before, I don't believe your explanation is as you believe.

Your thinking is that you messed something up (with the EFI partition) on your hard drive, and now you can't get into BIOS (as one of the symptoms). I tried to explain to you before that on that point alone, it's not likely, so that's probably not the issue (I'm a computer tech of many years, so I know).

To prove this to you, a few minutes ago I completely removed my hard drive from my machine (so no EFI, at least on the hard drive). I was able to power on my DV8, press ESC, go into BIOS, look and change my settings. So nothing wrong on the hard drive should interfere with being able to get into BIOS or not.

So I can't add info about your issue until the facts are discovered.

I'm sorry that happened to you, and would like to help you if I could and knew there was something I could do that would actually fix your issue. If there were an electronic failure of some kind with your hard drive, perhaps it could then interfere with the BIOS at that point, but that is remote.

Like I suggested earlier, remove the hard drive (it's easy) and then try to boot. Unplug the power and remove the battery before trying though.

Mammoth

...The BIOS relies on the EFI partition, and with it gone, the BIOS is dead meat..

I just want clarify, for the benefit of all, that this isn't true. The hard drive can be completely removed and will not affect BIOS in any way.

Mammoth

Vanilla Retail 10.6.4 Installation Guide With Chameleon on its Own Partition

HP DV8t-1100 VF836AV (and similar where compatible)

== THIS IS A NEW THREAD AND IS BEING UPDATED ==

* * UPDATE 2010-06-20 - 12:30 AM * *

FIRST RELEASE OF Mammoth DVx Boot CD and Guides 1 - 4 POSTED!!!

PLEASE take a moment to post some comments here after you have had a chance to try them out.

* FILES SECTION *

Mammoth DVx Boot CD - v1.00 - Posted 2010-06-20 @ 12:32 AM GMT -8:00

Ooops! Sorry everyone, I forgot to .ZIP the link to the boot CD. Try it now.

Part 1 - Preparation - Posted 2010-06-20 @ 12:32 AM GMT -8:00

Part 2 - Installing OS X - Posted 2010-06-20 @ 12:32 AM GMT -8:00

Part 3 - Installing Chameleon - Posted 2010-06-20 @ 12:32 AM GMT -8:00

Part 4 - DV8t-1100 Customizations - Posted 2010-06-20 @ 12:32 AM GMT -8:00

Get ready for the FASTEST installation of Windows 7 on your Hack that you have ever seen! Using the Mammoth guide here, this is literally what the procedure is:

1) Setup / Install OS X as outlined in the Mammoth Guide

2) Ghost an image of your Windows 7 (either your factory image / or what you are currently using)

3) Restore the image according to the guide

4) Boot and start using either OS X or Windows 7!

Mammoth:

Excellent. Thanks for all your hard work.

My machine: dv8t-1100 (same Product Name as yours), 4GB RAM and BIOS: F.24. Also, disabled: LAN Power saving, Fan and one more setting as you specified in your guide.

I burnt the Mammoth CD 1.0 ISO to a blank CD-RW and it never booted. The cursor was blinking indefinitely by doing a carriage return. I used the same CD-RW to try with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] Supported 2.0 and also Legacy Empire EFI v108 and had no issues. Could be a disc issue.

Next, I tried with a freshly formatted DVD+RW and it was able to boot to the Chameleon boot menu, waited for 10 secs, removed the DVD and inserted Snow Leopard 10.6 DVD. (I don't have the 10.6.3 Install DVD like you do.). That is the only difference I think), waited for 30 secs and then pressed ENTER key. Chameleon read the OS X 10.6 install DVD and after few texts were written to the screen, it gave me the following:

a. Loaded mach_kernel

b. No smbios replacement found

c. Loaded DSDT table

d. No DSDT replacement found...

(didn't get the exact errors but the errors were in those lines I had specified above). Then, the system automatically rebooted. :unsure:

I surprised by this. If yours and mine are having identical specs, why would it fail on me?

Please help.

Thanks.

Mammoth:

Excellent. Thanks for all your hard work.

My machine: dv8t-1100 (same Product Name as yours), 4GB RAM and BIOS: F.24. Also, disabled: LAN Power saving, Fan and one more setting as you specified in your guide.

I burnt the Mammoth CD 1.0 ISO to a blank CD-RW and it never booted. The cursor was blinking indefinitely by doing a carriage return. I used the same CD-RW to try with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] Supported 2.0 and also Legacy Empire EFI v108 and had no issues. Could be a disc issue.

Next, I tried with a freshly formatted DVD+RW and it was able to boot to the Chameleon boot menu, waited for 10 secs, removed the DVD and inserted Snow Leopard 10.6 DVD. (I don't have the 10.6.3 Install DVD like you do.). That is the only difference I think), waited for 30 secs and then pressed ENTER key. Chameleon read the OS X 10.6 install DVD and after few texts were written to the screen, it gave me the following:

a. Loaded mach_kernel

b. No smbios replacement found

c. Loaded DSDT table

d. No DSDT replacement found...

(didn't get the exact errors but the errors were in those lines I had specified above). Then, the system automatically rebooted. :)

I surprised by this. If yours and mine are having identical specs, why would it fail on me?

Please help.

Thanks.

MacMan50,

You must use a 10.6.3 Retail DVD. .0, .1, and .2 are not compatible with our machines, at least not easily, so they will not work. You will need a 10.6.3 DVD for it to work. As I have stated elsewhere, for those who care, I BOUGHT my 10.6.0 Retail OS X. It wouldn't work with this system, so I "found" 10.6.3 and got it from Black Beard the :) Michael Bay.

Also, for burning disc images I have found a lovely, FREE program for the Mac called SimplyBurns, and I make all my Boot CDs with it.

Mammoth

Great tutorial! I also have a DV8t and this is helping me alot. I just went out and purchased SL 10.6.3.

One quick comment. On the third pdf...about installing Chameleon, step 13... you show an uppercase for the "change directory" command. If I use CAPS for the input "CD", it doesn't actually execute and change the directory (and it didn't give me an error message either). I needed to use small case, "cd". Yes, case sensitive always seems to bite me! :)

I'll let you know how the rest goes, but so far, so good! An excellent tutorial! Thanks so much, this has been a big help!

Great tutorial! I also have a DV8t and this is helping me alot. I just went out and purchased SL 10.6.3.

One quick comment. On the third pdf...about installing Chameleon, step 13... you show an uppercase for the "change directory" command. If I use CAPS for the input "CD", it doesn't actually execute and change the directory (and it didn't give me an error message either). I needed to use small case, "cd". Yes, case sensitive always seems to bite me! :)

I'll let you know how the rest goes, but so far, so good! An excellent tutorial! Thanks so much, this has been a big help!

Thanks MacVett for posting and I'm really glad you appreciate the guides! ; )

Also thanks for pointing out the case related error! I have posted an addendum to post #1 and already made the correction in what will eventually be a future revision of the guide.

Mammoth

My specs are as follows:

CPU: 2.66ghz centrino 2 dual core

GPU: 9600mgt 512mb ddr2

MEM: 4GB

HDD: 2 x 400GB approx drives

WIFI: Intel wifi link 5100

Chipset: Intel PM45

Southbridge: Intel ICH9-M

I think there is another tutorial for installing osx somewhere similar to your laptop.

Heres a link

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=215233

I really like your methods for an osx86 installation so I'm hoping to see whether it will work out or not. :(

- On posting about your EFI issue, I don't understand enough about your issue to be able to talk about it accurately enough. There are several assumptions being made, but not enough facts. As I tried to explain before, I don't believe your explanation is as you believe.

Your thinking is that you messed something up (with the EFI partition) on your hard drive, and now you can't get into BIOS (as one of the symptoms). I tried to explain to you before that on that point alone, it's not likely, so that's probably not the issue (I'm a computer tech of many years, so I know).

To prove this to you, a few minutes ago I completely removed my hard drive from my machine (so no EFI, at least on the hard drive). I was able to power on my DV8, press ESC, go into BIOS, look and change my settings. So nothing wrong on the hard drive should interfere with being able to get into BIOS or not.

So I can't add info about your issue until the facts are discovered.

I'm sorry that happened to you, and would like to help you if I could and knew there was something I could do that would actually fix your issue. If there were an electronic failure of some kind with your hard drive, perhaps it could then interfere with the BIOS at that point, but that is remote.

Like I suggested earlier, remove the hard drive (it's easy) and then try to boot. Unplug the power and remove the battery before trying though.

Mammoth

I just want clarify, for the benefit of all, that this isn't true. The hard drive can be completely removed and will not affect BIOS in any way.

Mammoth

I think you're right, the fact that you can still enter BIOS without harddrive (thus without EFI) proves that it's something different or at least some other problem aswell instead of thinking it "overwrited" the EFI "partition"..

I just wanted to let you guys know that I've send it back to the shop where I purchased my DV7 to let them check what's wrong with it. If it was my fault and I won't have any guarantee anymore, I will try to preform the steps that you suggested. I won't try them now because I'm afraid of breaking the guarantee or anything. I'm not that used to messing with hardware of laptops, desktops ok, but laptops.. I rather leave it untouched for the time being..

I'll post an update about the error asap, and If I'll get it fixed I'll write down the steps you need to preform if someone ever comes across this problem. Also when the laptop gets fixed I will try the guide of course!

Erik

Mammoth,

I'm on my third install attempt. (I thought I knew enough to shortcut a few instructions) :D

Anyway, long story short this time i followed the instructions EXACTLY :unsure:, I keep getting the same error. After running the MacPro software update and rebooting, I no longer have trackpad or keyboard functionality.

I've also tried plugging in a USB wireless Apple Keyboard. When I do, a dialog box pops up (Keyboard Setup Assistant) that indicates that by keyboard can't be identified (so OSX is still running on the DV8t...not locked up), but still no keyboard or mouse activity.

My next plan is to pop out the drive and install VoodooPS2 kexts while it's connected to my real Mac. Then apply the 10.6.4 update. I'll let you know what i find.

macvett

Mammoth,

I'm on my third install attempt. (I thought I knew enough to shortcut a few instructions) :)

Anyway, long story short this time i followed the instructions EXACTLY ;), I keep getting the same error. After running the MacPro software update and rebooting, I no longer have trackpad or keyboard functionality.

I've also tried plugging in a USB wireless Apple Keyboard. When I do, a dialog box pops up (Keyboard Setup Assistant) that indicates that by keyboard can't be identified (so OSX is still running on the DV8t...not locked up), but still no keyboard or mouse activity.

My next plan is to pop out the drive and install VoodooPS2 kexts while it's connected to my real Mac. Then apply the 10.6.4 update. I'll let you know what i find.

macvett

Quick update, I just figured out i was mistaken above and I do have keyboard functionality, just not trackpad or mouse after the MacPro software update.

-----------

Third edit!!!

{censored}...I'm an idiot. Batteries were dead in my USB Apple mouse. After replacing them the USB mouse works fine. BUT, still no DV8t trackpad activity.

My specs are as follows:

I think there is another tutorial for installing osx somewhere similar to your laptop.

Heres a link

I really like your methods for an osx86 installation so I'm hoping to see whether it will work out or not. :(

Hi Shadowhunt009,

I have seen that thread before, but thanks for reminding about it. I am planning to post links to ALL related by guides by others as we can and should help each other out. We'll accomplish things much faster that way. I am particularly interested in some of the DSDT edits from that thread, and if anyone would like to test some of those and report back any significant finds, that would be awesome and appreciated by all!

Thank you for your appreciation of my methods; I strive to find the best way to do things in all areas of my life, and so I have applied that philosophy to these guides. I can't say for sure, but I think it should work. I don't think you will have to use the Legacy kernel though, which is good. The biggest problem would probably be the DV8t specific DSDT that is used on the boot CD, which gives me an idea. I will create a "generic" boot CD, which will be the same as v1.00 but just no DSDT. Then if you could try booting with both and let me know the results, that may really help a lot of other people with non-DV8t, but similar, machines. Other than that, it should work.

I can say for sure that the methodology will work, that's for sure, it's just getting the DSDT, .kext files etc.

Mammoth

Mammoth,

...still no DV8t trackpad activity.

Thanks for your post MacVett,

You are correct, the TrackPad is not working. : ( I have an external wireless mouse connected to mine so I hadn't noticed this. I will start looking into this right away.

Mammoth

My specs are as follows:

Heres a link

I really like your methods for an osx86 installation so I'm hoping to see whether it will work out or not. :unsure:

Hello ShadowHunt009,

I have now posted a more generic Boot CD without the DV8t DSDT on it. Give it a try and let me know how it works for you.

Mammoth

Mammoth.

Thanks for the trackpad fix...worked perfect!

Now I have a new one. I'm completed the guide through "changing to legacy kernel". After a reboot post the legacy kernel install i receive a kernel panic. I can still boot with the options: mach_kernel -v cpus=1 busratio=12.

The apple.com.Boot.plist in /Cham/Extra does show: legacy_kernel busratio=12 arch=X86_64

Any ideas on what's going wrong? I'd try to take a screen shot of the boot fail, but it is doing an auto reboot after a "cpu halted" message....although a few lines to show up just before the screen blacks out during the reboot.

Let me know if there is any specific info I can provide that might help you debug.

macvett

Mammoth.

Thanks for the trackpad fix...worked perfect!

Now I have a new one. I'm completed the guide through "changing to legacy kernel". After a reboot post the legacy kernel install i receive a kernel panic. I can still boot with the options: mach_kernel -v cpus=1 busratio=12.

The apple.com.Boot.plist in /Cham/Extra does show: legacy_kernel busratio=12 arch=X86_64

Any ideas on what's going wrong? I'd try to take a screen shot of the boot fail, but it is doing an auto reboot after a "cpu halted" message....although a few lines to show up just before the screen blacks out during the reboot.

Let me know if there is any specific info I can provide that might help you debug.

macvett

Darn! It should be working by that point. Ok so you can boot with the boot flags above, good. Once back in, install PFix (from the Boot CD, Installation/Utilities/PFix) and run it against "\". Then restart.

Let me know if that fixes it.

I'm getting ready to release some updated docs with all of these fixes.

Mammoth

Darn! It should be working by that point. Ok so you can boot with the boot flags above, good. Once back in, install PFix (from the Boot CD, Installation/Utilities/PFix) and run it against "\". Then restart.

Let me know if that fixes it.

I'm getting ready to release some updated docs with all of these fixes.

Mammoth

I had already tried pfix. I've also tried to boot the legacy_kernel with multiple variations of: cpu=1 or 8, arch=X86_64 or i386, busratio=12 (or no busratio flag), ... All were a no go. Always a KP when I try to boot the legacy_kernel. :(

mach_kernel boots fine with cpus=1, busratio=12.

Just to make sure I didn't screw something up following the guide. I'm going to re-partition the drive and start all over. I'll let you know if I get the same results.