Acer Aspire 5740G SnowLeo Install

Xan21

13 posts in this topic

Things You Need

tonymacx86 P55 Boot CD

SnowLeo DVD

[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]

Fist things first make a partition for your OSX install (or use the whole HDD up to you)

Burn both the tonymacx86 P55 Boot CD and SnowLeo DVD

Put the SnowLeo DVD into your drive and boot it up (you may need to change your boot settings in your BIOS)

Press F8 to add commands and type the following

-x busratio=17

Be patient while the installer starts

Once it starts go to the top bar and select Utilities --> disk utility

Format the partion (or drive) to Journaled

Close this out and press continue and select your drive

Press next then Customize button to select packages to install or not install

The only package you need to install is applePS2 (its under System Patches)

Once its done shut down and insert the tonymacx86 P55 Boot CD

Select your OSX partition and type

-x busratio=17

and press enter

Fill out the forms untill you get to the desktop

Once it boots up connect to your wireless network and perform a system update

It will crash right at the end of the 10.6.3 install

Just reboot with tonymacx86 P55 Boot CD with the busratio=17 option

Now you want to install your [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] options

Run the installer and select the following:

[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] for Unsupported CPU

System Utilities

VoodoHDA

Install and reboot using the tonymacx86 method again

Once your back in go to your System Preferences

Then select Chameleon (all the way at the bottom)

Press the lock icon at the bottom left so you can edit the options

Go to Boot Flags and uncheck the -v option

Go to Advanced and select busratio and type 17 in the box

If you dont want to see all the text on boot go to Periperals and select Graphics Enabler

Reboot without the tonymacx86 CD and everything should boot fine!

The only problem I've encountered is that the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 is stuck in 1024x768. Ive tried to use the "grapics mode" options but they dont work. If i find a way to fix it ill update it. Or if someone knows an alternate way let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

hope this is the right topic to begin with...

glad to hear that u've successfully installed the OS on ur laptop :wacko:

there's question that i need to ask u,

is ur laptop is in dual boot?

what i mean is windows + mac?

another question is what snowLeo version that u've installed on

ur laptop?

i think i want to try a dual boot on my laptop (currently on win 7)

my laptop is Lenovo Y460 (same graphic card as urs + built in).. :)

Hi there,

hope this is the right topic to begin with...

glad to hear that u've successfully installed the OS on ur laptop :D

there's question that i need to ask u,

is ur laptop is in dual boot?

what i mean is windows + mac?

another question is what snowLeo version that u've installed on

ur laptop?

i think i want to try a dual boot on my laptop (currently on win 7)

my laptop is Lenovo Y460 (same graphic card as urs + built in).. :(

Yes im dual booting. You have to install OSX then Win 7 to get it to work. Theres a bunch of guides and on how to do it. Also I installed 10.6 and upgraded to 10.6.3. The SnowLeo is just a custom DVD someone made. I believe i cannot post the link here... but if you search "SnowLeo" on pirate bay its on there.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes im dual booting. You have to install OSX then Win 7 to get it to work. Theres a bunch of guides and on how to do it. Also I installed 10.6 and upgraded to 10.6.3. The SnowLeo is just a custom DVD someone made. I believe i cannot post the link here... but if you search "SnowLeo" on pirate bay its on there.

ok, i've managed to install the Snow Leo onto my laptop, :P

but, there's smthg that i want to ask u,

do you have any problem with the mouse cursor?

what i mean is, cursor moving randomly on the mac screen...

• 1 month later...
Install and reboot using the tonymacx86 method again [-x busratio=17]

Once your back in go to your System Preferences [i lost from here. Can you be more specific?]

Then select Chameleon (all the way at the bottom)

Press the lock icon at the bottom left so you can edit the options

Go to Boot Flags and uncheck the -v option

Go to Advanced and select busratio and type 17 in the box

If you dont want to see all the text on boot go to Periperals and select Graphics Enabler

Reboot without the tonymacx86 CD and everything should boot fine!

The only problem I've encountered is that the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 is stuck in 1024x768. Ive tried to use the "grapics mode" options but they dont work. If i find a way to fix it ill update it. Or if someone knows an alternate way let me know.

Basically, there is no "Chameleon" in my "System Preferences". Did you mean it is in System Preferences on Dock or else? I've got everything working apart from Ethernet; I still use [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] ATI CD to boot in because I can't accomplish the last steps mentioned above. Xan21, can you shot few photos to illustrate how to do that? Thank you very much!

well, this tutorial is great because i have aspire 5738z and i successfully installed Snowleo.

But I have a problem with everything else because I can't find a way to connect to my wireless.

I go to sys. pref. - network and it says "No services in this location.

Click Add (+) to set up a device.

So, i have [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], i know what to do, but please, tell me how to connect to internet, because i installed drivers for it, for ethernet and wireless, nothing new.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
@Xan21:

I have an Acer Aspire 5740G with 8GB RAM, do you think your tut will work for installing SL on my laptop? Or is there a command to set max RAM detection or something?

Yes you can get Snow Leopard running. But not ATI... if you get the ATI drivers working let me know lol

Yes you can get Snow Leopard running. But not ATI... if you get the ATI drivers working let me know lol

I don't think newer mobile ATI video cards, like the 5650 we both have, are supported yet. Though I have read success stories about a the ATI 5670 working with QE/CI (link).

Also, have you tried this method to be able to change your resolution, or are you already able to do that?

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, I still had to remove 4 GB of RAM to be able to install. Have you been able to update to 10.6.4? I have now installed OSX with the retail SL disc, which distro did u use?