Guide i7-980x on ga-ex58A-UD5

3 posts in this topic

This is a guide to how I got my i7-980x running all 12 cores on my GA-EX58A-UD5

This guide is not for beginners, and assumes you have some background with terminology and installing vanilla.

Attached is a package with all you will need.

Before you begin make sure you are only running 4Gigs RAM. You can add more later but for instillation it is best to keep it at 4G.

Hardware:

i7-980x

GA-EX58A-UD5

Nv-9600GTX

4G-1333

The steps:

-install Snow, Use your favorite method.

-make disk bootable

-upgrade to 10.6.2 only - you can upgrade to 10.6.3 after you get it running correctly but better not to do it right away. Some conflicts have been known to occur.

-drag entire contents of /extra from attached package to your /Extra folder

-replace /mach_kernel with the one in the package

-replace /boot with the one in the package

now the checks. Before proceeding please open your new /extra/com.apple.Boot.plist and check it. You may want to change some things in there. Like, you may want to add -v to the kernel string if you want to see errors. You must leave busratio=25 as i7980x won't boot otherwise.

You will notice there is no DSDT. This is a none DSDT build as we are still working on making a 12Core DSDT. If you want to help with that project send me a pm.

Now check the kexts in /Extra as there may be some kexts you don't want like nullcputemp or whatever.

We have used nvenabler.kext instead of nvenabler=yes because we had issues with the latter.

You will also notice the force64 flag in /extra/com.apple.Boot.plist. We used this because the mach_kernel is not 100% 64Bit. so the only way to run more than 4 Gigs of ram is to use this flag. It is recommended that durring the settup process you use only 4Gigs RAM to avoid problems for trouble shooting.

We are using the old legacy hacked mach_kernel because it is the only one that we could get to boot. If you find a way to boot vanilla please post your solution.

If you have 12Core DSDT please post it.

If you have full 64Bit or vanilla mach_kernel that will run i7-980x please post it.

If you find better tweaks please post them.

Have fun and enjoy the power of 12 Cores.

Powel

Note: I pushed the Base Clock up to 166, RAM at 1333, CPU at 4.00Ghz Running air and it is 32c idle and 58c under load. No voltage alterations necessary. With same as above but CPU at 4.23Ghz I lost some stability but temps were still cool.

_980x_package_final.zip

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I have the same mobo as you, just got it, it is the rev2.0 version.

What I would like to know.

I would like 5 hard drives in this setup,

1 x 500gig, for the system, Seagate Constellation 7200rpm

4 x 2TB for storage, all Seagate Barracuda XT 7200rpm

I would like to mirror raid 2 x 2TB drives and then the other 2 x 2TB drives, so in the end I should have 4TB of storage, and a mirror of the entire lot.

Must I use the 4 white sata connectors for this, and then just set it all the raid volumes through the OS, or is there a better way to go about this.

Please advise me on this.