New amd motherboards!

10 posts in this topic

Amd has come out with some new chipsets (870, 880g, 890gx, 890fx) and a new southbridge (sb850) with native 6gb/s sata. Has anyone gotten one of the new motherboards to work or know if they will work or not?

Amd has come out with some new chipsets (870, 880g, 890gx, 890fx) and a new southbridge (sb850) with native 6gb/s sata. Has anyone gotten one of the new motherboards to work or know if they will work or not?

Hej!

I just installed lawlessppc on this configuration. There are still some bugs but I finally made it after trying to install Hazard 10.6.2 and ideneb 10.5.6, and ideneb 10.5.8.

I used a usb key on which I put the lawlessppc 10.5.4 iso and then I run the The EP45UD3P Snow Leopard install package (HERE on this page you will find the link to download http://lifehacker.com/5360150/install-snow...acking-required) on the usb key. Afterwards, I deleted the DSDT.aml file that is in the extra folder on the usb key, otherwise gives me an error because it’s not for my motherboard.

The only thing I checked for the installation is the third chipset named “via and sb 600” because it’s the closest one to the Southbridge chipset my motherboard has. Indeed, this chipset is for 790 motherboards. If I didn’t use this one I had a “Waiting for root device” error when trying to boot into os X.

In the bios I used Ide instead of setting to AHCI because it worked too.

As the GA-890GPA-UD3H has sata 3, I had to test many times on which sata to connect the HDD. Whether the sata 2 or 3. Finally I connected it on the sata 2 and put it into IDE after trying ahci as well.

When I corrected the “waiting for root device” error, I finally got to the “before you begin” part!! I was so glad I was nearly there!!

But I had one last problem: I had the account creation loop error… every time I was on the transfer from another mac it would got back to before you begin page !!

But I found this:

http://osx86.net/f5/restarting-installatio...dy-own-a-t1836/

I booted in verbose (-v), safe mode (-x) and single mode (-s)

And I typed the command lines

/sbin/mount -uw / passwd root touch /var/db/.AppleSetupDone reboot

it creates an admin account that you will use to connect with.

On this website I also found how to set the graphic resolution when booting:

"Graphics Mode"="1600x1200x32"that’s what I can get with the 4290 chipset !!! I tried better but it’s the max. You can try, if it doesn’t work it will give you the max it can do !!So I can have this resolution even if I don’t have a driver but I have to enter it at boot every time… I don’t have the audio nor the internet.I tried to fix the about this mac with the topOSX86 toolthat you can find on this page:http://www.insanelymac.com/2009/02/make-bo...aller-yourself/The about this mac tells me now that I have a phenom ii x4 955My motherboard is the GA-890GPA-UD3HThat I have 4g of ram but in more info it tells me that I have only 1 core and that my ram is only 200mhz instead of 1333mhz. That’s about it. There are still things to fix… But it is possible to install leopard. The next step is snow leopard !!!

Motherboard: GA-890GPA-UD3H

Cpu: phenom ii x4 955 BE

Ram: 4GB DDR3 1333

Graphical chipset ati 4290

Sata hdd

Sata dvd driver

Awesome! You should be able to get ethernet working with snow leopard using the realtekr1000sl kext found on the web. As for audio and graphics, you probably won't get them fully working. You can however put "Graphics Mode"="1600x1200x32" in your com.boot.plist so you don't have to enter it every time you boot up.

Does your hard drive by chance work using the Sata3 port in ahci mode? Thanks! Its good to know its possible.

Awesome! You should be able to get ethernet working with snow leopard using the realtekr1000sl kext found on the web. As for audio and graphics, you probably won't get them fully working. You can however put "Graphics Mode"="1600x1200x32" in your com.boot.plist so you don't have to enter it every time you boot up.

Does your hard drive by chance work using the Sata3 port in ahci mode? Thanks! Its good to know its possible.

Hej!

I tried to install snow leopard with this method:

http://www.insanelymac.com/2009/09/install...-pc-hackintosh/

This method consists in installing snow leopard using an existing partition of leopard.

But everytime I launch the installation from the leopard partition I get a kernel panic after 10 minutes of installation on a partition I created for Snow leopard. I used retail dvds of snow leopard and then patched versions like hazard and snow leo. The snow leo installed entirely but it reboots when I try to boot in snow leopard. On the other hand, hazard was giving me a kernel panic too so I tried to install part by part. With the method from the site, you open the contents of the .iso to have access to all the .pkg. So I double clicked on the .pkg that I thought I would need for snow leopard (the system, the kernel, the amd patch, the audio driver azalia, network realtekr1000, etc…) but I get stuck at the very common error of acpi_smc_platform_plugin :… timed out. I did not find a solution yet. I don’t have the possibility to put acpi 2.0 in the bios because there is either s1 or s3 modes and that’s all. Nothing else on acpi compared to the asus p5q pro where there was acpi 2.0 to enable or disable. I tried ahci or ide but it does not make any difference.

I didn’t try yet to put the hdd in the sata 3 sockets. For the installation of leopard, I needed to put the dvd player in sata3 and native ide while the hdd was in sata 2. The mode did not matter. If I don’t do that I get kernel panics when installing. After installation, I take back the dvd player and put it in sata2 because it is not recognize in leopard otherwise.

* I have the sound (it’s azalia driver in lawlessppc or ideneb 1.6),

* the Ethernet (there is a realtekr1000.kext for leopard),

* activity monitor shows the activity of 4 cores

* and with I deneb 1.6 contents opened directly in leopard, I installed the smbios 1333 fix pkg to get my ram recognized.

* I still write at boot “Graphics Mode”=”1680x1050x32”.

I was surprised when I tried to read a dvd, dvd player told me that there is no video source found. I think that it is linked to the fact that there is no kext for the 4290 chipset. I tried to modify some kexts to have the chipset recognized but I did not find how to correctly do it yet…

Thanks for the help, if you have any other ideas go ahead!!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I am a hackint0sh n00b. Anyone got luck with 880G chipset?

I have a

GIGABYTE 880GA-UD3H

GIGABYTE HD 5770

Phenom II X4 970

Seagate 350 GB 7200 RPM

Snow Leopard 10.6.3 genuine disc purchased from amazon.

I have tried Kakewalk 3.0. The computer booted from the kakewalk disc. I have inserted my (genuine) Snow Leopard. Then, my system reboots.

I have tried Empire EFI. The computer booted from the EFI disc. I have inserted my (genuine) Snow Leopard. Does some check and me a panic window as below.

panicerror.JPG

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

• 1 month later...

hey all,

just posting to help you all "i hope"

after banging my head off the wall trying to install snow on asrock 890fx D4

with every bootloader and distro i finally got it installed by taking hard drive out and loading snow retail with my old computer"also a amd" i used nawcom's bootloader,i think it's the best....

when the install is done and restart screen comes up just shutdown when reboot happens,transfer HD back in and GO!! i have got everything working but audio,i have tried every alc892 kext,and pkg i could find,voodoo ,and azzila all sound like {censored}....so if anyone finds one that works please let me know....