GUIDE: Windows 7 and Retail Snow Leopard on Acer Aspire 5920G

Aspire5920G

20 posts in this topic

Hi, this is a guide on installing Mac OS X Snow Leopard on an Acer Aspire 5920G with the following or similar specs:

Acer Aspire 5920G Specs:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo T8300 2.4GHz

Chipset: Intel PM965

Platform: Intel Centrino Duo (Santa Rosa)

Memory: 4GB DDR2 667 High Performance Low Latency

Hard Drive: 250GB SATA 7200RPM

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 256MB (1024MB TurboCache)

Sound: Realtek High Definition ALC888

Screen: 15.4" Acer CrystalBrite LCD (aka. makeup mirror, waay too freaking reflective)

Optical: HD DVD

Network: Intel 3945ABG Wireless, Broadcom NetLink Gigabit Ethernet

USB: 4 Ports (MacBook Pro has only 2)

Firewire: 1 Port

Other Features: Acer Crystal Eye Webcam, HDMI, S-Video, Ricoh SD Card Reader, Lights, ExpressCard Slot, Dolby Virtual Surround with Subwoofer, Empowering Technology Framework, Some others that I have not discovered yet

Remember to update the BIOS to the latest version before doing this

GUIDE:

All the files I used can be found here:

http://rapidshare.com/files/374802288/Aspire5920G.zip.html

I will attach them here just in case this link breaks down.

1. Delete all partitions on the hard drive.

2. Partition half the drive and install Windows 7. Leave the other half unpartitioned for now.

3. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=39253

Follow this guide to create two additional Mac OS X Journaled partitions after installing Windows 7, one 8GB and the other with the rest of the hard drive's free space.

4. Install Leopard on the larger Mac OS X partition. Before installing, use Disk Utility erase the 8GB partition and name it "Snow" and erase the other partition and name it "Macintosh HD" and install Leopard to "Macintosh HD."

5. From Leopard, restore the Snow Leopard install DVD dmg image to the 8GB partition and replace files according to this guide:

http://prasys.co.cc/2009/08/installing-sno...pard-for-osx86/

6. Install Chameleon 2 RC4 bootloader onto the 8GB partition.

7. Download all the kexts and files from the link above. Rename NVEnabler 64.kext to NVEnabler64.kext (without space).

8. Place all kexts (except NVEnabler, IOUSBFamily, and the audio kexts) from the download file in the /Extra/Extensions folder. Place DSDT.aml and com.apple.boot.plist in the root directory and in /Extra.

7. Restart the computer and boot from the "Snow" partition. This will boot into the installer. For this phase, you may need to attach a USB mouse and keyboard.

8. Open Disk Utility and erase "Macintosh HD." Follow the rest of the installer to install Snow Leopard on "Macintosh HD."

9. When computer restarts, boot from "Macintosh HD." Follow the post-install wizard and remember to create a password. Then install the latest Snow Leopard update. Restart computer.

10. Use Kexthelper to install ALL the kexts provided in my download link.

11. Restart computer and see if everything is working. If not, reinstall the required kexts and restart.

12. Use this guide for ethernet: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=127903

13. Once everything is working, you can remove the USB mouse and keyboard.

14. Enjoy your AcerBook Pro! If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.

What Works:

Intel Core 2 Duo T8300 (Both Cores)

NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT (Quartz Extreme/Core Image Enabled, Native Resolution)

Realtek High Definition Audio (with Dolby)

Volume Control Knob

Ricoh SD Card Reader

ExpressCard

USB

FireWire

Broadcom NetLink Gigabit Ethernet

Acer Crystal Eye WebCam

What Doesn't Work:

Media Buttons (Lights)

Intel 3945AGB Wireless

Sleep

If anyone knows how to get these to work, please let me know.

I would like to thank and give credit to all the people whose work I have cited in this guide. Also, I do apologize if I have violated any forum rules or regulations. This is my first post, so I am still very inexperienced at this.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

thanks apire5920g your video on you tube,i istalled osx on my 5920g,but when i install iousbfamily kext,usb2 does nt work to rate high speed and all usb works mode usb1.there is a way with which camera and usb2 works as the same time???

thanks apire5920g your video on you tube,i istalled osx on my 5920g,but when i install iousbfamily kext,usb2 does nt work to rate high speed and all usb works mode usb1.there is a way with which camera and usb2 works as the same time???

Sorry, I have that problem too. I haven't managed to fix it yet.

aspire again thannxks a lot.your video on you tube for me has been a miracle.however in your pakage updated here i just added other kext,for exaple nullcpupowermanagment with 10.6.4.another change has benn fakesmc for gpu temp.sleep doesnt work with your tutorial with 10.6.4.for you?in my opinion the problem of web cam and usb2 is a little problem,but for now is great problem.i nstalled cam twist 1.7 and work in usb2 ,but when i open photoboot ,skype and etcc,with cam twist 1.7 open photoboot andskype doesnt work.

• 4 weeks later...

hi all,using this guide,for my acer 5920g ,but kernel dont boot in 64bit mode.I tryed to edit apple.com.boot.plist adding flags x86_64 and in other way without result.IN systemprofiler /software /exstensions ,some extensions doesnt work in 64 bit like these plugins:BSDKernel6.0.kext,InternalModemSupport.kext,IOKit6.0.kext,IOPCIFamily.kext,Libkern6.0.kext,Mach6.0.kext,System6.0.kext.All other kext are compatible with 64bit mode.In which way can i boot kernel in 64 bit mode???please help me

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Attention everyone: The reason I use a modded IOUSBFamily.kext is because it is the only way to get both sleep mode and the webcam working. CamTwist doesn't work for me, and sleep mode will not work without the modded file.

Also, booting in 64-bit mode is not yet possible because the PCI bus doesn't work (so the network cards are not detected).

Hi Aspire5920G,

have you tried removing _PRW from devices HDEF and EHC1 to fix sleep?

It works in 5920 (not G)

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=208055

There's a 32/64 bit version of the patched IOPCIFamily

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1460172

The link to Prasys site is broken, the new URL is

http://prasys.info/2009/08/installing-snow...pard-for-osx86/

Regards.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Hi, this is a guide on installing Mac OS X Snow Leopard on an Acer Aspire 5920G with the following or similar specs:

Acer Aspire 5920G Specs:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo T8300 2.4GHz

Chipset: Intel PM965

Platform: Intel Centrino Duo (Santa Rosa)

Memory: 4GB DDR2 667 High Performance Low Latency

Hard Drive: 250GB SATA 7200RPM

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 256MB (1024MB TurboCache)

Sound: Realtek High Definition ALC888

Screen: 15.4" Acer CrystalBrite LCD (aka. makeup mirror, waay too freaking reflective)

Optical: HD DVD

Network: Intel 3945ABG Wireless, Broadcom NetLink Gigabit Ethernet

USB: 4 Ports (MacBook Pro has only 2)

Firewire: 1 Port

Other Features: Acer Crystal Eye Webcam, HDMI, S-Video, Ricoh SD Card Reader, Lights, ExpressCard Slot, Dolby Virtual Surround with Subwoofer, Empowering Technology Framework, Some others that I have not discovered yet

Remember to update the BIOS to the latest version before doing this

GUIDE:

All the files I used can be found here:

http://rapidshare.com/files/374802288/Aspire5920G.zip.html

I will attach them here just in case this link breaks down.

1. Delete all partitions on the hard drive.

2. Partition half the drive and install Windows 7. Leave the other half unpartitioned for now.

3. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=39253

Follow this guide to create two additional Mac OS X Journaled partitions after installing Windows 7, one 8GB and the other with the rest of the hard drive's free space.

4. Install Leopard on the larger Mac OS X partition. Before installing, use Disk Utility erase the 8GB partition and name it "Snow" and erase the other partition and name it "Macintosh HD" and install Leopard to "Macintosh HD."

5. From Leopard, restore the Snow Leopard install DVD dmg image to the 8GB partition and replace files according to this guide:

http://prasys.co.cc/2009/08/installing-sno...pard-for-osx86/

6. Install Chameleon 2 RC4 bootloader onto the 8GB partition.

7. Download all the kexts and files from the link above. Rename NVEnabler 64.kext to NVEnabler64.kext (without space).

8. Place all kexts (except NVEnabler, IOUSBFamily, and the audio kexts) from the download file in the /Extra/Extensions folder. Place DSDT.aml and com.apple.boot.plist in the root directory and in /Extra.

7. Restart the computer and boot from the "Snow" partition. This will boot into the installer. For this phase, you may need to attach a USB mouse and keyboard.

8. Open Disk Utility and erase "Macintosh HD." Follow the rest of the installer to install Snow Leopard on "Macintosh HD."

9. When computer restarts, boot from "Macintosh HD." Follow the post-install wizard and remember to create a password. Then install the latest Snow Leopard update. Restart computer.

10. Use Kexthelper to install ALL the kexts provided in my download link.

11. Restart computer and see if everything is working. If not, reinstall the required kexts and restart.

12. Use this guide for ethernet: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=127903

13. Once everything is working, you can remove the USB mouse and keyboard.

14. Enjoy your AcerBook Pro! If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.

What Works:

Intel Core 2 Duo T8300 (Both Cores)

NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT (Quartz Extreme/Core Image Enabled, Native Resolution)

Realtek High Definition Audio (with Dolby)

Volume Control Knob

Ricoh SD Card Reader

ExpressCard

USB

FireWire

Broadcom NetLink Gigabit Ethernet

Acer Crystal Eye WebCam

What Doesn't Work:

Media Buttons (Lights)

Intel 3945AGB Wireless

Sleep

If anyone knows how to get these to work, please let me know.

I would like to thank and give credit to all the people whose work I have cited in this guide. Also, I do apologize if I have violated any forum rules or regulations. This is my first post, so I am still very inexperienced at this.

Intel 3945AGB now works with SL using a custom kext, Search around, i'm sure the media buttons could be linked with the USB side of things so maybe get yourself AppleUSBNub kexts. that get the keypad on the lappy working and the trackpad kext.

Sleep, use the latest SleepEnabler kext.