Snow Leopard on G31TM-P35 (G31TM-P21)

14 posts in this topic

Okey. 2 days ago my old mobo completely died and instead to change it I decided to completely renew my PC.

I had AMD in past and now decide to buy Intel in a way of easy Mac OS X install. My AMD fully worked on 10.5.8 but all updates drive me crazy for replacing new kexts after each applied.

And I bought G31TM-P35 the difference between G31TM-P21 is "overclocking" blah blah blah.

I thought that install of Snow will be easy but it was mistake. I stuck on boot and can't even get installation menu of OS X. Reading a huge amount of topics my hope to get all working lost! People write: how to make sound or lan working but more big problem is how to install and boot it. Okey now we starting and tell you a secret - It's fast and really easy :D

Configuration:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200

MSI G31TM-P35 (testing on P25 too)

2GB Hunix 800 MHZ

2xATA DVD

2xATA HDD

1XSATA HDD

GeForce 7950GT

For easiest install it's better to have a separate HDD (untouched) with Windows and installed Macdrive 8 (google it) to add kext to installed Mac HDD.

In the beginning you need Snow Leo retail disk (10A432) but I used repacked snow leopard dvd5 mbr DVD (google it) because it's only 4.5gb and can be install on MBR partition (has *.dmg filetype - rename it in .iso and burn with any soft). Then download EFI Empire (only with this Msi mobo can boot - in zip). And download EASEUS Partition Manager 3.5 (install it in Win and create boot cd disk for partitioning in dos).

Download all important files:

http://www.mediafire.com/?jtjjwgxmymm

http://rapidshare.com/files/374486663/MSI_G31TM-PXX.zip.html

Installation will be done on empty HDD. HINT: If you want to install SL on disk with another existing OS begin with STEP 2.

Installation on empty HDD (do all on you own risk):

1. Burn Empire on CD and Snow Leo on DVD. Delete all partition (if exist) on HDD (HDD for SL) with FDISK also it can be done with XP installation CD or CD boot created with EASEUS Partition Manager (I can't guaranty that boot will work if you install SL on HDD with another OS as if in most cases it should be first partition to boot corrrect).

2. Press "Del" on start and go in bios. Enable "HPET", save&exit.

3.Boot with EASEUS Partition Manager CD and create primary partition (file system NTFS or FAT32 for been visible in disk utility) with size as you wish for Snow Leopard and apply. Restart. Prees F11 on boot and select DVD -> Insert empire boot CD and hit enter when it booted you see boot loader -> eject CD and insert Snow Leopard DVD, press F5 and wait until you see you install DVD -> choose it. When it loaded in install menu go to "disk utility" select your created partition -> go to tab ERASE, select - format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and hit erase. When complete close "disk utility" and continue to install. In customize menu uncheck: printer, languages, X11. Continue. Can pop-up message with "Some components can't be installed or smth like this" forget and continue. When install is complete PC reboot (installation can be successful or not but it's no mean).

4. Insert Empire Cd and boot with it again and choose partition on which you installed Snow Leopard. If everything done correct you boot in Snow. Pass registration and you in Snow now.

5. Now making SL boot without CD.

(Before install recommend you to apply all updates from apple, including 10.6.3)

Install Chameleon 3RC, then 4RC (in zip)

Copy SMBios.plist to root on your HDD and all files from extra folder to extra folder on your hdd. (SMBios.plist and Extra folder in zip)

Install VoodooHDA.kext and video kexts (if you have Nvidia 6xxx or 7xxx series) with Kext Helper (in zip)

Restart PC.

Remove CD and press F11 on boot -> select OS X HDD. If everything done correct you'll see bootloader, select OS X disk and boot.

IMPORTANT. Everything works fine: LAN, SOUND, ATA, SATA, VIDEO in 32bit. In 64bit got Kernel Panic with VoodooHDA (64bit kext was used) and video non working too. My Core 2 Quad Q8200 identify all 4 cores in 32/64bit mode.

post-360602-1270955312_thumb.png

post-360602-1270955353_thumb.png

post-360602-1270956542_thumb.png

• 4 weeks later...
Okey. 2 days ago my old mobo completely died and instead to change it I decided to completely renew my PC.

I had AMD in past and now decide to buy Intel in a way of easy Mac OS X install. My AMD fully worked on 10.5.8 but all updates drive me crazy for replacing new kexts after each applied.

And I bought G31TM-P35 the difference between G31TM-P21 is "overclocking" blah blah blah.

I thought that install of Snow will be easy but it was mistake. I stuck on boot and can't even get installation menu of OS X. Reading a huge amount of topics my hope to get all working lost! People write: how to make sound or lan working but more big problem is how to install and boot it. Okey now we starting and tell you a secret - It's fast and really easy :)

Configuration:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200

MSI G31TM-P35 (testing on P25 too)

2GB Hunix 800 MHZ

2xATA DVD

2xATA HDD

1XSATA HDD

GeForce 7950GT

For easiest install it's better to have a separate HDD (untouched) with Windows and installed Macdrive 8 (google it) to add kext to installed Mac HDD.

In the beginning you need Snow Leo retail disk (10A432) but I used repacked snow leopard dvd5 mbr DVD (google it) because it's only 4.5gb and can be install on MBR partition (has *.dmg filetype - rename it in .iso and burn with any soft). Then download EFI Empire (only with this Msi mobo can boot - in zip). And download EASEUS Partition Manager 3.5 (install it in Win and create boot cd disk for partitioning in dos).

Download all important files:

http://www.mediafire.com/?jtjjwgxmymm

http://rapidshare.com/files/374486663/MSI_G31TM-PXX.zip.html

Installation will be done on empty HDD. HINT: If you want to install SL on disk with another existing OS begin with STEP 2.

Installation on empty HDD (do all on you own risk):

1. Burn Empire on CD and Snow Leo on DVD. Delete all partition (if exist) on HDD (HDD for SL) with FDISK also it can be done with XP installation CD or CD boot created with EASEUS Partition Manager (I can't guaranty that boot will work if you install SL on HDD with another OS as if in most cases it should be first partition to boot corrrect).

2. Press "Del" on start and go in bios. Enable "HPET", save&exit.

3.Boot with EASEUS Partition Manager CD and create primary partition (file system NTFS or FAT32 for been visible in disk utility) with size as you wish for Snow Leopard and apply. Restart. Prees F11 on boot and select DVD -> Insert empire boot CD and hit enter when it booted you see boot loader -> eject CD and insert Snow Leopard DVD, press F5 and wait until you see you install DVD -> choose it. When it loaded in install menu go to "disk utility" select your created partition -> go to tab ERASE, select - format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and hit erase. When complete close "disk utility" and continue to install. In customize menu uncheck: printer, languages, X11. Continue. Can pop-up message with "Some components can't be installed or smth like this" forget and continue. When install is complete PC reboot (installation can be successful or not but it's no mean).

4. Insert Empire Cd and boot with it again and choose partition on which you installed Snow Leopard. If everything done correct you boot in Snow. Pass registration and you in Snow now.

5. Now making SL boot without CD.

(Before install recommend you to apply all updates from apple, including 10.6.3)

Install Chameleon 3RC, then 4RC (in zip)

Copy SMBios.plist to root on your HDD and all files from extra folder to extra folder on your hdd. (SMBios.plist and Extra folder in zip)

Install VoodooHDA.kext and video kexts (if you have Nvidia 6xxx or 7xxx series) with Kext Helper (in zip)

Restart PC.

Remove CD and press F11 on boot -> select OS X HDD. If everything done correct you'll see bootloader, select OS X disk and boot.

IMPORTANT. Everything works fine: LAN, SOUND, ATA, SATA, VIDEO in 32bit. In 64bit got Kernel Panic with VoodooHDA (64bit kext was used) and video non working too. My Core 2 Quad Q8200 identify all 4 cores in 32/64bit mode.

Omg, this guide worked 100%! <3

Can you attach the wallpaper while your at it ^_^

Thanks for the great tutorial but I get stuck when Mac OS X Install disk boots. Last shown is:

Trying to change the collection in the registry

Backtrace 0x4ff2a8 0x5309ff 0x1b5f5c73 0x1b5f9a9e 0x5389f2 0x536c27

Kernel Extensions in backtrace (with dependencies):

com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform(1.3)@0x1b5f3000->0x1b633fff

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOACPIFamily(1.3.0)@0x1b361000

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOACPIFamily(2.6)@0x1b553000

I am using G31TM-P21 board. Please advise!

• 2 weeks later...

I tried this tutorial and i always get stuck in "Fail to load kext org.voodoo.driver.VoodooHDA (error 0xdc00800e) Couldnt alloc class "voodooHDADevice") Update: I re tried it loading defaults and i get stuck at ACPI System State :s0 s2 s3 etc...

What bios settings should the motherboard have in order to load this Snow Leopard DVD. Apart from enabling HPET. I am using G31TM-P21 board.

Does sleep work???

Sleep not work.

I managed to installed it but it can only be boot with Empire EFI cd. I tried the chameleon on the zip but it just hangs. Also Lan doesnt work so i cant update at all.

need to copy all kext from empire cd to extra folder of chameleon. Wjthout this kext it's not working.

Thanks for the great tutorial but I get stuck when Mac OS X Install disk boots. Last shown is:

Trying to change the collection in the registry

Backtrace 0x4ff2a8 0x5309ff 0x1b5f5c73 0x1b5f9a9e 0x5389f2 0x536c27

Kernel Extensions in backtrace (with dependencies):

com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform(1.3)@0x1b5f3000->0x1b633fff

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOACPIFamily(1.3.0)@0x1b361000

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOACPIFamily(2.6)@0x1b553000

I am using G31TM-P21 board. Please advise!

What distro did you use?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

so do i just burn EFI empire?

Why is there an EFI Empire .iso in the "MSI G31TM-PXX.zip" ?

i used EFI Empire from the MSI.zip and it works, but i still can't install os x.

It hangs on: [Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>IOProviderClass</key><string ID ="1">IOResources</string><key>IORecourseMatch</key><string ID="2">boot-uuid-media</string>

</dict>

com.apple.AppleFSCompressionTypeZlib load succeeded

netkas presents fakesmc, a kext which emulates smc device]

• 3 weeks later...

can anyone help me as to why my internet isnt working? i think i have everything else, am i supposed to install all the kexts in the folder from the link above? also..i would like to dual boot it with xp on another hard drive, i am running into some difficulty with that. any help would be appreciated

• 5 months later...

EMPIRE EFI + Retail DVD 10.6.0 = works 100% (installation with -x -v)

i used EFI Empire from the MSI.zip and it works, but i still can't install os x

First reset the bios to Failsafe Defaults, then Enable HPET, then Disable the Onboard LAN and Floppy options. Set the bios to halt on No Errors.

• 3 months later...

Successful install on MSI G31-TM P35

My setup:

G31-TM P35 MOBO

Intel Q8300 Core 2 Quad

250GB SATA (Hazard Snow Leopard for intel AMD)

80GB IDE (Vista Home Premium)

3GB DDR2 RAM

IDE LG Super Multi DVD RW

Gigabyte Rocket II Heatsink and fan

In BIOS:

Load failsafe defaults

Enable HPET

Disable IOAPIC

Boot from your DVD/USB (Whatever device you are using to install! I used the Hazard 10.6.1/10.6.2) Darwin boot screen should appear. This will take about two minutes to get to the language selection screen in the installer.

Select the updates, Chameleon boot loader 10.5, UUID, SMBiosResolver and Fake SMC.

Install and reboot remove install media from drive and enter the BIOS again.

Enable IOAPIC or Snow Leopard will not boot and give Kernel Panic.

The on board LAN works out of the box not tested sound or graphics kexts yet but I suspect sound will work as the front panel headphone jack is active. Got 1024 X 768 resolution out of the box using the on board graphics. Snow Leopard now updated to 10.6.7 only needed to delete sleepenabler.kext and rebuild mkext.cache (used kexthelperb7). Recognises all four cores running at 2.5GHz!

To update just delete SleepEnabler.kext and hit "Software Update"

Safari has issues with crashing and freezing but I suspect that is just Flash!

Enjoy Snow Leopard and I hope this helps as it took me a couple of weeks to gather this info.

EDIT: Make sure SL disk is first in boot order as Chameleon will show the windows disk and will boot if you press any key, highlight and press enter.

Ok, so i downloaded the Snow Leopard DVD5 iso as explained in the first post,

i also downloaded the MSI.zip (from the second link, first one is broken now)

I booted, using a clean disk, with Failsafe defaults, IOAPIC Disabled, HPET Enabled (And then again with onboard audio, LAN and Serial ALL disabled)

And i got as far as "You need to restart your computer".

The Empire EFI started booting and gave some "EBIOS Read Error..." 3 times, then booted...

THEN when i inserted the OS X disk, as soon as i hit enter it said

"Error parsing plist file"

Then didn't even give me any boot options, just went straight to the "You need to restart..." screen.

Any help would be awesome :(

Thanks.

For the record:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 - 2.5GHz

Nvidia 9800GT

Intel G31TM-P35 (obviously)

40GB Sata

(250GB Sata which i disconnected because it has windows on it)

4GB Ram.

I've finally done it!

Thankyou so much everyone that helped.

When trying it before i never disabled IOAPIC, but it seems to have worked.

For some reason when i burned the DVD5 retail, it didn't even boot, even with Empire :/

Also thanks to OS X E for saying he was using the hazard copy, i downloaded that and it works :)

I've been trying to get this to work for so long it's unbelievable.

Now, if i could just find a way of getting 5.1 sound from it... :)

Screenshot2011-04-07at102455.png

oh, and it's so much better with dual screens :)