Snow Leopard 10.6.2 Retail on EVGA X58 SLI [GUIDE/TUTORIAL]

17 posts in this topic

I decided to put this external for all the issues I had with links last time. And attachments not working for users not registered. SHARE MORE. SHARE EASIER.

Here's the link: http://www.alanin4d.com/snow_leopard_on_evga_x58/

Credit is given to: Jplee4907, JaE-V, radov4n, Digital_Dreamer, Airwalk776, and Junno, niky (from x8gosx.com)

-ihavearedcouch aka AlanIn4D aka Alan Tassart

• 4 weeks later...

Your guide worked great except I can't get my GTX 260 to work. I get a black screen no matter what. I've redone the EFI string deal numerous times. I can get it to come up via safe mode and doing the kext_backup deal, but it's a generic 1024x768 resolution. It seems like some other people on pcwiz's forum post aren't getting it to work either. Any ideas?

I've got...

EVGA 896-P3-1257-AR superclock GTX 260 896MB (just 1, not SLI)

EVGA 141-BL-E757-TR x58 SLI motherboard

• 1 month later...

This guide worked perfectly with the exception of the Graphics card and the Sound.

I have 2 9800 GTX+ in SLI. I found that I had to use GFX Strings in order to enable it. Attached is the com.apple.boot.plist with the cards in the first and second slot. Be sure to use aquamac's GFX String generator if you still have problems with the graphics.

Anyone have any idea how to get audio working? I'm using Digital Dreamer's script, but his guide was more geared towards Gigabyte X58 boards. I'll do a little more digging and post what I find.

com.apple.boot.plist.zip

This guide worked perfectly with the exception of the Graphics card and the Sound.

I have 2 9800 GTX+ in SLI. I found that I had to use GFX Strings in order to enable it. Attached is the com.apple.boot.plist with the cards in the first and second slot. Be sure to use aquamac's GFX String generator if you still have problems with the graphics.

Anyone have any idea how to get audio working? I'm using Digital Dreamer's script, but his guide was more geared towards Gigabyte X58 boards. I'll do a little more digging and post what I find.

So I figured out my sound issue--I was using the wrong Kexts.

I have the 132-BL-E758-A1 EVGA X58 board, so I went through everything from trying different audio kexts, compiling my own DSDT.aml, modifying my DSDT.aml and recompiling, using Digital Dreamer's script to load the Kexts and build the boot cache....you name it, I probably did it.

The guide posted here is REALLY as simple as it is laid out. All I needed to do was get the right Audio Kext and install it with Digital Dreamer's LegacyHDA.kext, which was in /Kexts_10.6/_Audio/_repository/ALC889a_LayoutID_885/4outs2ins HDA headphone/LegacyHDA.kext.

I copied that to my /Extra/Extensions folder along with the VoodooHDA which was already there (if you're following the instructions). I also copied the AppleIntelPIIXATA and JMicronATA.kext from _ATA and _Networking folders to /Extra/Extensions.

After I installed SL, I copied those Kexts over to the /E/E folder, booted in Safe Mode (with -x -v flags) and filled out the basic information. I disabled Spotlight with

sudo mdutil -i off -a

I ran JaE-V's KextUtility app to repair permissions on the /E/E directory. Networking worked and my IDE DVD Burner worked (the burner didn't work before without the kext). At this point, Audio was still not working. I then used JaE-V's "Kext Helper b7" app and added both VoodooHDA and LegacyHDA and clicked Easy Install (after entering my password). I repatched my DSDT.aml with Digital Dreamer's script (this is optional I suppose, but I wanted the DSDT.aml to have everything my system has) I rebooted and I HAVE AUDIO!!!! It just doesn't show up in the system information.

I now have a working Snow Leopard installation on my system. I am overjoyed.

Attached is my Extra's folder and more importantly, the LegacyHDA kext that gave me audio. Hope this is helpful to someone.

EDIT: I plan to turn Spotlight back on with:

sudo mdutil -i on -a

I'll do this after I update to 10.6.3

EVGAX58_Mac_OS_X_SL.tar.gz

LegacyHDA.tar.gz

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the tip on getting audio working. Did you patch your DSDT as well or just copy the ready-made one from Jae-V's folder?

Also, I noticed in the Kexts_10.6/_Audio/_repository folder, there is a "EVGA_X58_ALC889" folder. The note inside mentions a slight edit to the dsdt and that using the LegacyHDA.kext in that folder will allow one to use the stock AppleHDA.kext. Did you try to use the LegacyHDA.kext from this folder with the noted DSDT patch?

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the tip on getting audio working. Did you patch your DSDT as well or just copy the ready-made one from Jae-V's folder?

Also, I noticed in the Kexts_10.6/_Audio/_repository folder, there is a "EVGA_X58_ALC889" folder. The note inside mentions a slight edit to the dsdt and that using the LegacyHDA.kext in that folder will allow one to use the stock AppleHDA.kext. Did you try to use the LegacyHDA.kext from this folder with the noted DSDT patch?

Sorry for the late response. I did try that folder but I still couldn't get my audio to work. I tried the DSDT patch and kept the stock AppleHDA.kext. Basically, it comes down to trial and error--you need to find the right audio driver to correspond with your motherboard's built-in audio controller (if you are using that for audio).

I built my own DSDT using DigitalDreamer's script. I did this because I wanted my specs to be captured and not take the risk of dealing with Kernel Panics / non-working hardware. Plus, using the provided DSDTs didn't work for me anyway.

Are you having a problem getting your audio to work?

hi i have evga x58 board to , I install SL 10.6.3 everything is working perfect except sound card.

when I enable high definition audio in " bios " computer is not starting . but when I disable audio in bios computer is working fine. how can i fix this problem. I just starting to use mac finally. so i don't know how I'm gonna edit kext or other files. do you have any help for me " maybe some link or video or anything ?

thank you so much

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this guide. I have followed it step-by-step, but I can't seem to get my install to boot afterwards. I have tried a few other methods I've seen around as well, and they don't work either.

I have an EVGA X58 SLI Micro motherboard with an i7 920 cpu. My graphics card is an EVGA Geforce 8800GT 512mb.

I did the initial install from a copy of a kalyway install. When I go to boot the new system, it goes for a couple of seconds like its loading, then my system reboots. I've tried different combinations of -v -f -x, neither seems to work.

In my bios, I have the Snow Leopard drive set as the first boot device. For CPU settings, I have Hyperthreading and Virtualization turned off. Its hard to tell where it fails because it goes by so quickly. I tried to catch a video of it on my phone, the result is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OgwAdH9w8Q . As you can see, it flies by pretty quick.

I don't expect anyone to know exactly what the problem is, but a nudge in the right direction may help.

Oh, and in my previous tries with other guides, I created my own DSDT.aml, and generated my graphics string and put in the boot file, doesn't seem to make a difference.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

PS: I'm fairly new to this, I haven't tried OSX86 since probably Tiger days on my old acer laptop.

• 2 months later...
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this guide. I have followed it step-by-step, but I can't seem to get my install to boot afterwards. I have tried a few other methods I've seen around as well, and they don't work either.

I have an EVGA X58 SLI Micro motherboard with an i7 920 cpu. My graphics card is an EVGA Geforce 8800GT 512mb.

I did the initial install from a copy of a kalyway install. When I go to boot the new system, it goes for a couple of seconds like its loading, then my system reboots. I've tried different combinations of -v -f -x, neither seems to work.

In my bios, I have the Snow Leopard drive set as the first boot device. For CPU settings, I have Hyperthreading and Virtualization turned off. Its hard to tell where it fails because it goes by so quickly. I tried to catch a video of it on my phone, the result is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OgwAdH9w8Q . As you can see, it flies by pretty quick.

I don't expect anyone to know exactly what the problem is, but a nudge in the right direction may help.

Oh, and in my previous tries with other guides, I created my own DSDT.aml, and generated my graphics string and put in the boot file, doesn't seem to make a difference.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

PS: I'm fairly new to this, I haven't tried OSX86 since probably Tiger days on my old acer laptop.

Are you using a Boot 132 disk? It's possible you might be using one that does not have the appropriate Kexts for your sata drives.

By the way, if you can, make sure your drives are not set to RAID in BIOS for your Mac install--Your drives should be configured for AHCI. Make sure you install it on a separate drive (until you're familiar enough with the process).

Regarding the boot process, you need to install Chameleon on your Vanilla Mac install. Boot into your Kalyway installation and run Digital Dreamer's X58 Mobo Patch located: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=185097 and select the option 2) Install bootloader. In that screen, select Chameleon 2.0 RC4. Make sure you are installing it to the correct drive.

In short, your boot screen shouldn't look like the way your video shows it. It should be a GUI which allows you to select the appropriate drive.

Sorry for the late response, but I am more than willing to spend some time to help you get your installation running. Also, see my previous post for my Extra folder. If your mobo matches mine, you can just use my Extra folder (including the DSDT.aml file). The only thing you may need to change is your GFX string for your video card, but you'll find directions for those if you search for them.

• 2 weeks later...

i cant find Digital Dreamer's X58 Mobo Patch in the forum link http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=185097 ... is it actually one of these five under "Downloads??

-Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 motherboard kexts for Snow Leopard

-HackInstaller script UPDATED! - 7/26/2010 v4.56

-Extra bootloader themes EXTRA

-Selection of 27 boot pictures EXTRA

-Selection of 12 kernels for AMD/Older Intel CPUs EXTRA

• 2 weeks later...
Are you using a Boot 132 disk? It's possible you might be using one that does not have the appropriate Kexts for your sata drives.

By the way, if you can, make sure your drives are not set to RAID in BIOS for your Mac install--Your drives should be configured for AHCI. Make sure you install it on a separate drive (until you're familiar enough with the process).

Regarding the boot process, you need to install Chameleon on your Vanilla Mac install. Boot into your Kalyway installation and run Digital Dreamer's X58 Mobo Patch located: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=185097 and select the option 2) Install bootloader. In that screen, select Chameleon 2.0 RC4. Make sure you are installing it to the correct drive.

In short, your boot screen shouldn't look like the way your video shows it. It should be a GUI which allows you to select the appropriate drive.

Sorry for the late response, but I am more than willing to spend some time to help you get your installation running. Also, see my previous post for my Extra folder. If your mobo matches mine, you can just use my Extra folder (including the DSDT.aml file). The only thing you may need to change is your GFX string for your video card, but you'll find directions for those if you search for them.

Thanks, I now got just about everything working. I'm now booted into my install, and everything works (did software update fine) except for sound. I'm reading through various forums posts and trying different kext's I have found, so far none has worked. Looking at my dmesg on bootup, I notice this:

Loading VoodooHDA 0.2.1 (based on hdac version 20090401_0132)

VoodooHDADevice[0xffffff800f86e400]::init

VoodooHDACodecHints: not present in plist

VoodooHDAHints: not present in plist

VoodooHDADevice[0xffffff800f86e400]::probe

Controller: Intel 82801J (vendor ID: 8086, device ID: 3a3e)

VoodooHDADevice[0xffffff800f86e400]::initHardware

error: failed to open PCI device

VoodooHDADevice[0xffffff800f86e400]::stop

VoodooHDADevice[0xffffff800f86e400]::disableEventSources

VoodooHDADevice[0xffffff800f86e400]::deactivateAllAudioEngines

VoodooHDADevice[0xffffff800f86e400]::free

VoodooHDADevice[0xffffff800f86e400]::deactivateAllAudioEngines

DSMOS has arrived

Sound assertion "0 == pathMap_aDriverInstance" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-187.4.1/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 1666 goto Exit

Sound assertion "0 != createAudioEngines ( fPathMap_aDriverInstance )" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-187.4.1/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 203 goto Exit

Sound assertion "0 == pathMap_aDriverInstance" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-187.4.1/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 1666 goto Exit

Sound assertion "0 != createAudioEngines ( fPathMap_aDriverInstance )" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-187.4.1/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 203 goto Exit

Any ideas? My motherboard is the EVGA X58 SLI Micro board.

Nevermind, I got it working. I headed over to google code and VoodooHDA, installed the latest release, and FINALLY I got everything working with OS X on my motherboard.

I'm going to write up my own little guide because I had to take bits and pieces from all over the place. Thank you!

I was asked by a visitor to write a guide for my experiences with getting this going, so I did that, and thought I would mention it here in case anyone else wanted to check it out

Snow Leopard on eVGA X58 Micro and 8800GT

http://www.ctrlv.ca/2010/11/235/

Many thanks to many people like 'ihavearedcouch', etc. Without you guys, I would have never gotten this going.

• 3 months later...

> 1. Use a separate working copy of Mac OS X, such as Kalyway, to install non-live

is it equally ok to use my macbook for this?

> 4. Choose the snow target HDD and Extra folder install mode

post-120850-1298982688_thumb.jpg

Things might have changed a little in this version ... which menuitem to select?

> 1. Use a separate working copy of Mac OS X, such as Kalyway, to install non-live

is it equally ok to use my macbook for this?

> 4. Choose the snow target HDD and Extra folder install mode

post-120850-1298982688_thumb.jpg

Things might have changed a little in this version ... which menuitem to select?

Sure, you can use your MacBook Pro, but it needs access to the target HDD. Hook it up via USB, or some other means.

Usually with the digital_dreamer script, on first run it asks what the target is. It looks as if a target has already been selected by the screenshot you provided. Pick option 17 to change the target to the HDD you plan to install SL on.