HELP: memory slots not present!

lagigia

7 posts in this topic

Hello,

installed retail Snow Leopard 10.6 with myHack 1.0 (updated Chameleon 2.0 RC4) on Dell XPS 420 (core i7)

I got 6GB of RAM, System Profiler and Activity Monitoring showing only 4GB, also 'top' command in a terminal showing off only 4GB of physical memory.

System Profiler also shows as follows:

Memory Slot

DIMM1 1GB

DIMM2 empty

DIMM3 1GB

DIMM4 1GB

DIMM5 empty

DIMM6 1GB

I've already put 'arch=x86_64' as KernelFlag. Could you help me please?

Thanks in advance!

That is for sure the Chameleon 2 RC4 in which you updated, that same thing happened to me on my Laptop it has 4gb (2 slots of 2gb) but it only displays 2gb (2 slots of 1gb)... but on my Desktop it is shown correctly with Chameleon 2 RC4 8gb (4 slots 2gb each)....

Anyways... I just ignore the issue of the Laptop, the monitor activity does show on both (laptop & desktop) the correct ram in x64.

Are you sure you are running 64bits ? Did you try on boot: -force64

When you boot with: arch=x86_64

"Did you read inside: About This Mac > More Info > Software (just clock the word Software) ... saying around the middle 64bits = Yes ? and if it says No <- this means you are running x86"

Because if you are running x86 it will only display 4gb (or 3.5gb) of ram(everywhere, about this mac > more info > memory + monitor activity) even if you have 6gb, 8gb or 16gb of ram installed it will only say you have 4gb of ram.

If you are indeed running 64bits(verifying what I asked above inside " "), I'm sorry for writing the above useless thing to you... I simply wasted your time ^_^

You were right, I was not running at 64bit. Now I got errors from Legacy AppleRTC.kext contained into myHack 1.0. Need to replace it as Conti said in this post:

LegacyAppleRTC.kext [32bit Only]

Legacy AppleRTC.kext repackaged to function with Snow Leopard. This prevents the “CMOS Reset” error that is encountered on most motherboards running OSx86 10.6. IMPORTANT NOTE: This MUST be removed (and replaced by a dsdt CMOS fix) before booting to an x86_64 kernel.

thanks!

Still need help... sorry

Removed AppleRTC.kext from S / L / E , built new Extensions.mkext, patched DSDT.aml and put in /

still get same error, seems to me DSDT.aml is not read at all....

do I have to do something else? i.e. add some other Kernel Flag ?

Thanks in advance!!!

Because if you are running x86 it will only display 4gb (or 3.5gb) of ram(everywhere, about this mac > more info > memory + monitor activity) even if you have 6gb, 8gb or 16gb of ram installed it will only say you have 4gb of ram.

No, you're wrong, it doesn't work that way. OS X is not Windows.

Read this:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2009/...os-x-10-6.ars/5

No, you're wrong, it doesn't work that way. OS X is not Windows.

Read this:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2009/...os-x-10-6.ars/5

Finally, this is worth repeating: please keep in mind that you do not need to run the 64-bit kernel in order to run 64-bit applications or install more than 4GB of RAM in your Mac.

So why I cannot see all my 6GB of RAM?

Moreover:

1. I've deleted legacy 32bit AppleRTC.kext, as suggested in myHack FAQ

2. I've generated a DSDT.aml file with DSDT Patcher

3. I've added following lines to /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<strings>arch=x86_64</strings>
<key>DropSSDT<key>
<string>Yes</string>

I got the following screen, can't understand what I have to do now :)

Thanks in advance for your help.

SUMMARIZING & UPDATING:

- due to a fixed DSDT.aml, I can now SUCCESSFULLY boot with a 32bit or 64bit kernel with my Dell XPS 420 and SL+myHack.

- both with 32 bit or 64 bit kernel, I can only see 4GB instead of 6GB, I can see 4GB both in System Profiler and 'top' command in terminal window. I don't know why, before with Vista Ultimate 64bit I can see all 6x1GB DIMM working in the Task Manager.

Is there anyone who can give me some hints? Could it be something related to cores i7 memory management???

Thanks in advance!

Alfredo