ASUS P5KPL-AM Retail install guide

13 posts in this topic

This is my guide to setting up Snow Leopard 10.6.1 on the P5KPL-AM, I would think it would work for the other motherboards in the P5 series too. I got most of my information from this great forum but have tried to read up on as much material as possible via google searches and the like. One forum member here who's guide I based my install on is blackosx's guide here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=180954 this is not favouritism folks I did read many a guide but this one in particular goes into great detail about exactly what is what about the install process and is a good example of how a guide should be done, so many thanks for all the hardwork that blackosx put into his guide. This is by no means an expert guide either, I am still a noob when it comes to OSX but this will get you a working install, the more I learn I will add to this guide.

So here is my list of hardware for this install:

ASUS P5KPL-AM (updated to the current bios 0518)

Intel Core2 Quad Q9300 (was previously using a core2 duo with this same install method)

2x Kingston 2GB DDR2 800mhz

INNO3D 9800GT 1GB DDR3 PCIe

Apple Airport Extreme (attached to a Mini PCI adapter)

3x500GB Seagate Barracuda SATA

And other needed item's:

Snow Leopard Retail disc

Empire EFI V1.085 R2

Chameleon RC5 pre8

Kext utility.app

DSDT for the motherboard

An existing Leopard/Snow install (preferably on a completely seperate HDD)

Needed kexts:

AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext

Disabler.kext

Fakesmc.kext

IOPCIFamily.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

NVEnabler 64.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

SleepEnabler.kext

VoodooHDA.kext

So, after all this has been collected together:

STEP 1:

Insert the Empire EFI disc and boot your system from DVD-Rom, you will be presented with the empire bootscreen.

img0037nn.jpg

Read the onscreen instructions and eject the empire disc and insert your retail snow disc, wait for the disc to spinup in the drive & hit F5 to refresh the drives. The snow install disc will show up as a boot option now, go ahead and select to boot from that.

img0038oa.jpg

It will do a verbose boot

img0039et.jpg

STEP 2:

It will boot to the welcome screen of the installer, select your preffered language and click the continue button

img0040h.jpg

Note: There are 2 choices here for the next step, either setup your target drives from an existing install of leopard/snow or do as I did & just use disk utility on the install menu

img0042zv.jpg

I chose to follow blackosx and partition the 500GB drive into specific partitions:

1st partition - Chameleon (1GB in size)

2nd partition - Snowleopard (483GB in size)

3rd partition - SLbackup (15GB in size)

This was done because you want to keep all the chameleon resources away from the retail install partition, and a backup partition for testing out updates etc.. so they don't fubar your main install.

With that done click continue

img0041q.jpg

Choose your target drive & click customize

img0044b.jpg

It's up to you here what you keep checked but I uncheck all the options as I don't need them

img0043fg.jpg

Click ok then click install, the installer will now start to install Snow onto your HDD

img0045s.jpg

It should only take roughly 20mins so go and grab a cup of tea/coffee or whatever till it's done

img0046ap.jpg

Wait for it to restart or click the restart button, when the PC reboot's dont boot into your new install of snow leopard as it won't work, instead boot into your already working leopard or snow leopard install

STEP 3:

Once booted into your working install go ahead and install chameleon onto your "Chameleon" partition either manually or with Dr.hurt's great installer package.

Open the "Extra/Extensions" folder and place all the kext files into here:

AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext

Disabler.kext

Fakesmc.kext

IOPCIFamily.kext

NVEnabler 64.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

SleepEnabler.kext

VoodooHDA.kext

Now, in order for VoodooHDA to actually work from the "extra" folder it depends on another 2 kext's which you will also need to put in the folder, these 2 kexts are all on your new snow leopard install in the "System/Library/Extensions" folder, copy and paste the following kexts to your extra directory:

IOAudioFamily.kext

OSvKernDSPLib.kext

So your "Extra/Extensions" folder should have the following in it now:

AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext

Disabler.kext

Fakesmc.kext

IOAudioFamily.kext

IOPCIFamily.kext

NVEnabler 64.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

OSvKernDSPLib.kext

SleepEnabler.kext

VoodooHDA.kext

Move back to the "Extra" folder and grab the "Extensions" folder and drag it onto kext utility, this will make an "extensions.mkext" file in the same folder

Place also into the "Extra" folder the "DSDT.aml" file (Which can be obtained by using DSDTSE to extract it)

and edit the "apple.boot.plist" and "smbios.plist" to your particular needs, these I have yet to fully understand myself to be honest, see the chameleon documentation for further info on these as I just do not know enough about them to write anything worthwhile, I will paste here my plist files but you will be able to do your own better nodoubt.

apple.boot.plist:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>5</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>arch=i386</string>
<key>Theme</key>
<string>Bootcamp</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1280x720x32</string>
<key>Wait</key>
<string>No</string>
</dict>
</plist>

smbios.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>SMbiosversion</key>
	<string>MP31.88Z.00C1.B00.0802091544</string>
	<key>SMmanufacter</key>
	<string>Apple Inc.</string>
	<key>SMproductname</key>
	<string>MacPro3,1</string>
	<key>SMsystemversion</key>
	<string>1.0</string>
	<key>SMserial</key>
	<string>W87234JHYA4</string>
	<key>SMexternalclock</key>
	<string>333</string>
	<key>SMmaximalclock</key>
	<string>2333</string>
	<key>SMmemtype</key>
	<string>19</string>
	<key>SMmemspeed</key>
	<string>800</string>
	<key>SMmemmanufacter_1</key>
	<string>0xAD00000000000000</string>
	<key>SMmemserial_1</key>
	<string>0x00001020</string>
	<key>SMmempart_1</key>
	<string>0x48594D503131325336344350362D59352020</string>
	<key>SMmemmanufacter_2</key>
	<key>SMmemserial_2</key>
	<string>0x00003021</string>
	<key>SMmempart_2</key>
	<key>SMmemmanufacter_3</key>
	<key>SMmemserial_3</key>
	<key>SMmempart_3</key>
	<key>SMmemmanufacter_4</key>
	<key>SMmemserial_4</key>
	<key>SMmempart_4</key>
</dict>
</plist>

Now reboot the PC and configure your Bios to boot from the new drive you just setup the chameleon partition, when chameleon boots up you can either just let it do it's thing (as there shouldn't be any errors and it should boot into OSX)

or type -v to do a verbose boot and look to see if any error's occur on booting

img0053of.jpg

It should boot to the welcome video with QE/CI & sound enabled

img0055w.jpg

Simply follow the onscreen instructions & setup your user account and sit back & enjoy Snow Leopard

aboutm.png

That should give you a working install with sleep/restart etc... working, I have nodoubt missed something so please feel free to reply with suggestions, I will also try and answer any questions to the best of my knowledge from anyone trying to setup on this motherboard also.

OPTIONAL STEPS:

As stated there was a 3rd partition made for a backup install incase of emergencies, simply follow the same instructions but obviously just install to the "backup" partition.

Software update will work straight away, select all the updates and install them. Just remember to remove "SleepEnabler.kext" from your extra directory and replace with the 10.6.2 SleepEnabler.kext and then rebuild the mkext cache before rebooting the machine or you will end up with a kernel panic.

Regards

-_-

EDIT1: Added info on sleepenabler replacement.

Wow! Thank you very much. :)

I've been waiting a long time for this.

I currently have installed Leopard (10.5.8) with P5KPL-AM and a quadcore.

My question is: It's mandatory to have a second HDD for installing Snow Leopard and the other two partitions (backup, chameleon) or can I reinstall it over my current Leopard 10.5.8 HDD partition and create the other two in the same HDD?

I mean, just have a single HDD with 3 or 4 partitions.

I'm newbie on this and I want to make sure if I should buy or not a new hard disk.

Thank you!

Wow! Thank you very much. :unsure:

I've been waiting a long time for this.

I currently have installed Leopard (10.5.8) with P5KPL-AM and a quadcore.

My question is: It's mandatory to have a second HDD for installing Snow Leopard and the other two partitions (backup, chameleon) or can I reinstall it over my current Leopard 10.5.8 HDD partition and create the other two in the same HDD?

I mean, just have a single HDD with 3 or 4 partitions.

I'm newbie on this and I want to make sure if I should buy or not a new hard disk.

Thank you!

Hi Nicolas, not mandatory no, it's just easier to have a working install whether it be leopard or snow so you can setup your chameleon partition & browse the filesystem, you could I suppose boot a fresh install from empire efi which you could then do your chameleon setup but just be double sure there is nothing on your current leopard install you don't need (WIGIG!!!)

You certainly don't need to do a backup partition if you don't mess with updates & system stuff, just do 2 partition's, 1 for chameleon & 1 for snow

Regards

Thank you! Now, I've a last question (I hope :()

Ddo you have a full working audio? I'm interested specially in line-in and line-out.

Currently I can't make line-in works on Leopard 10.5.8

Thanks

Im pretty sure line in work's, I don't have anything to test it (which surprised me considering the amount of tech I have lying around!!!) but nothing is greyed out so I guess it does work. I could never get audio to work with the appleHDA kext it was only the voodoo kext that worked for me.

Post back your progress, be nice to know how you get on installing.

Regards.

post-524309-1268641948_thumb.jpg

Hi, why did you boot with FakeSMC and Disabler at same time? What's the point?

Does your onboard Ethernet works properly and recognizes as en0, or you use Airport instead?

Hi, why did you boot with FakeSMC and Disabler at same time? What's the point?

Does your onboard Ethernet works properly and recognizes as en0, or you use Airport instead?

Being a noob at all this I don't understand what you mean by what's the point, I always thought you needed fakesmc installed to get it running, as for the disabler this is for the mouse lag

http://www.kexts.com/view/11-nvidia_-_mous...xquot;_x64.html

Yes, the “mouse lag” is back with a vengeance in Snow Leopard. While not nearly as noticeable as it was in Leopard, it’s still there nonetheless. Thanks to Kabyl for supplying the x64 Disabler and the edits to allow ONLY AppleUserUpstreamClient to be disabled. This problematic KEXT causes a slight system stutter on Nvidia 8XXX series and above would notice when using iTunes or Quicktime. NOTE: THIS ONLY DISABLES APPLEUSERUPSTREAM.KEXT NOT INTELCPUPM!! YOU’VE BEEN FOREWARNED!! Enjoy :( From: stellarola.tumblr.com

Not sure about onboard ethernet as I have this disabled in the bios, I do indeed use the airport extreme.

Regards.

hi i have a

asus p5qpl-am

and i need help installing osx

please help

There's an entry on the wiki for that motherboard, I would say give it a try but use empire EFI to install

P5QPL-AM	G41 + ICH7	
Installation Method: Retail Installed to SATA from another Mac + Chameleon 2 RC4 + Kexts (Installation via Boot132 + Retail Fails Mid-Install)
64 Bit Enabled (arch=x86_64)
Kexts: evOreboot.kext, fakesmc.kext, PlatformUUID.kext, NVEnabler 64.kext (for Resolution Change)
No DSDT.aml needed (when present causes sleep problems)
CPU: Intel Pentium Dual Core E6300 2.8 Ghz
SATA: Bios Settings: Under Drive Configuration, Choose Compatible, SATA Only (to get IDE DVD working)
Video: MSI nVidia 9500 GT 512MB, both GraphicsEnabler and NVEnabler 64.kext work (X4500 not used due to lack of compatibility)
LAN: AttansicL1e 64 Bit
Audio: Voodoo HDA
USB: Works (Detected as Built-In)
Shutdown Reboot Sleep OK

Give it a try with those kexts & see if it work's, if not post back & we'l see what we can do :(

Regards

Then why do you bother writing an install guide in a first place? Maybe compile some kernels instead.

Well {censored} excuse me for trying, what's your angle here or do you just like being a {censored}?

• 2 months later...

nice thread. thumbs up!

ill just add here, since this is the closest thread to my story on the internet. i hope you dont mind? :angry2:

for all of you trying this tutorial on P5KPL-AM/PS and retail 10.6.2 SL its workin perfectly, with few modifications:

SleepEnabler.kext ---- should be deleted, or you get kernel panic with 10.6.2

AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext ---- needs to be replaced, (files atthaced), or you get kernel panic "IOATAFamily (2.5.0)" at first boot

combination of kexts for enabling audio, also dont work on retail 10.6.2, but that shouldnt be a problem (still have to try other solutions)

built in LAN working out of box!

all files that i have used for this installation are atthaced below including Chameleon RC5.pkg, for all of you.

ill edit post, as working out other things, and attach other kexts.

configuration:

Asus P5KPL-AM/PS

Intel Core 2 Duo E2140

2x1Gb DDR2 Geil Ultra

Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4350 512Mb (full QE/CI supported, havent had time to sort it out, just add Device ID to ATI4500Controller.kext and ATIRadeonX2000.kext, and install Graphics Enabler)

HDD ATA Maxtor 80Gb

DVD ROM LG ATA

feel free to ask any questions.

again, thanks ralphwiggum fot this wonderfull post! keep up the good work! :wacko:

Archive.zip