[Guide] How to install Snow Leopard 10.6.2 on NetBook Toshiba NB200

NeOxXx85

60 posts in this topic

Requirements:

- Original Image Snow Leopard build 10A432

- Pre installed Mac OSX for create a USB boot installation

- USB Flash driver or external HardDisk (min 8gb)

- Pack NB200 installer

- Snow Leopard Combo Update 10.6.2

Prepare USB boot driver:

[1] With “Disk Utility” Format and partition your USB flash driver or external harddisk as Mac OSX (Journaled), important don't forget to set it as MBR, not GUID.

[2] Restore Snow Leopard build 10A432 .dmg file to the flash driver and wait done process.

[3] After finishing the restore, run myHack Installer to prepare USB installer device for booting: 1. Change Install Location & point it to your USB device. 2. Click Customize & leave everything as it except also select ApplePS2Controller.

[4] On USB device browse to and delete IOATAFamily.kext from /System/Library/Extensions, and if necessary also AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, to avoid the kernel panic at boot. (To delete this file you must first show hidden files in OSX; you can use this terminal command to do this: “defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE”, and “killall Finder”, for turn off hidden files change with FALSE).

Install Snow Leopard:

[1] Before installing, boot your toshiba, enter into the bios by hitting F2, make sure your Legacy USB is in enabled, and Sata Controller in AHCI.

[2] Restart NB200 with the Flash Drive on USB, hit F12 to choose the drive to boot, select your flash drive and wait, if don't boot try again.

[3] With Disk Utility format and partition (if you want) your HD, (partition as GUID this time, Mac OSX Journaled)

[4] Before start the installation, be sure to customize it and REMOVE the printer support and other languages, you can keep the fonts and X11, and take QuickTime.

[5] Start the installation and wait until 7 minutes from the end, don't worry, now you need to restart.

[6] Boot from USB and choose new installed partition from bootloader, (if you have a kernel panic error you need to erase /System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext and if necessary also AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext from your new partition installed. For erase this file you run again the Snow Leoapard installer from boot USB and go to Terminal end enter this command: “rm -r /Volumes/(Name of your harddrive)/System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext”).

[7] Complete the first access questions to SnowLeopard and enter it, now run again myHack Installer, but this time install it into SnowLeopard partition, and customizing it: disabling com.apple.Boot.plist, GraphicsEnabler and enable ApplePS2Controller. Completed installation but don't reboot. Now copy the content of Extra folder from “Pack NB200 Installer” to your Extra folder.

[8] Reboot and copy patch27ae.command from “Pack NB200 Installer” to your root and go to Terminal, enter this command “sudo /patch27ae.command” for patch VGA driver. Reboot.

[9] Now run ComboUpdate 10.6.2 and install it. Before restarting run Terminal and enter this command “sudo rm /mach_kernel”, now copy the patched mach_kernel from “Pack NB200 Installer” to your root, run Terminal again and enter “sudo /pfix” for repair your permissions.Reboot.

[10] Run Terminal and enter “sudo /patch27ae.command” again.Reboot.

[11] Now copy VoodooPS2Controller.kext from “Pack NB200 Installer/kext” to your Extra/Extensions folder and delete them ApplePS2Controller.kext. Install all different .kext (also VoodooPS2Controller.kext) from “Pack NB200 Installer/kext” in your system with Kext Helper b7. Now delete /System/Library/PreferencePanes/Trackpad.prefPane and replace it with “Pack NB200 Installer/Trackpad.prefPane”. Now go to Terminal and enter “sudo /pfix” for repair the permissions.Reboot.

[12] Install CamTwist-2.1.dmg from “Pack NB200 Installer”.

[13] Patch the Unknown CPU type in About This Mac copying English.lpropj or Italian.lpropj (for Italians :9) from “Pack NB200 Installer/System/Library/CoreServices/Resources/” to /System/Library/CoreServices/Resources/ (Hidden Folder). Reboot.

[14] FINISH !!

PS: I replaced the Atheros AR9285 WIFI with AR5BXB61 natively recognized by Snow Leopard. Sleep work in progress..

screeshot_nb200.png.jpg

I changed the AR9285 mini pci wifi with the AR5BXB61 and everything works perfectly, as you can see from the screenshots, I also downloaded the iphone sdk 2,82 GB without problems and are about 2 weeks I use snow leopard without problems. All this guide and the answer I'm doing this from Snow Leopard 10.6.2 on NB200.

About dual boot, first partition the hard disk with DiskUtility, then install Windows and then install Snow Leopard with my guide.

To fix the problem of displacement of the time between Windows and Snow Leopard, saves the contents below into a file .reg and add it to the registry of Windows. So 'no problems with the time between Windows and Snow Leopard.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation]

"RealTimeIsUniversal"=dword:00000001

I am working to fix the sleep now...

So basically all you did was copy noxin's guide and add in word for word all of the steps I personally figured out. Then you claim that you figured it all out? If anyone is wondering how to get sleep working, just search nb205 snow leopard and find the original guide. Everything in that thread is working perfectly.

I honestly do not know who is noxin, here I just wrote my experience after having tried in vain other guides, not working on my NB200. Especially there is no compatibility with the DSDT of the NB205.

My friend here speaks of the NB200, not NB205.

I just hope I have helped someone, certainly not here to make racing journalism.

Thanks.

I honestly do not know who is noxin, here I just wrote my experience after having tried in vain other guides, not working on my NB200. Especially there is no compatibility with the DSDT of the NB205.

My friend here speaks of the NB200, not NB205.

I just hope I have helped someone, certainly not here to make racing journalism.

Thanks.

thanks for your guide. i allready made an installation using the dell mini 10v guide

http://osx86sv.wordpress.com/2009/12/31/os...n-dell-mini10v/

all worked well but

- bluetooth

- audio i/o

- trackpad gestures, scrolling and click

di you confirm yhat with your guide and package all works fine?

any tricks?

grazie mille

piero

pbatini, you have a PM!

great job my friend :)

can you make and a video guide with exactly step by step what we must do for us who we are begginers?

please???????? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I do not know if I have time to make a video guide, if you follow the steps above, you should succeed. Anyway thanks for the idea.

pbatini, you have a PM!

I do not know if I have time to make a video guide, if you follow the steps above, you should succeed. Anyway thanks for the idea.

yes, i tried installing snow leopard following the dell guide. almost all woks fine, eccept bluetoot (not recognized), audio i/o (think it's easy to fix), trackpad click, gestures, scrolling. had to swap wifi to a dell card (ebay). i will try to install with your guide in the next days and i let you know.

many thanks again

piero

pbatini, you have a PM!

hi neoxxxx85, looking at your screenshot i note that your battery and bluetooth icon are aout. is there a problem or simply switched of the bluetooth and pulled out the battery?

saluti

p

Hello all,

2 questions: what's the battery life when you're using SL?

Does anyone have a copy of the recovery cd/dvd for me? I have the "HDD recovery" Folders, but cant create a restore DVD ... and I would love to have a safe copy before playing with SL etc :(

thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Has anyone tried this and been successful with using the Snow Leopard upgrade DVD?

Hey there,

I did and everything but the wireless and ethernet work for me. The good news is I tried the USB-Ethernet dongle a friend has for his MacBook Air and it worked!. All I need now is my 1510 card I ordered from Dell. Sleep is a bit fussy but oh well.

Cheers,

This is awesome stuff.

I am getting kernel panics at boot from the USB install on the NB205 (I have removed the kext based on instructions).

Can someone who has installed this on their NB205 successfully please point me in the right direction?

Thanks

HI, How to replaced the Atheros AR9285 WIFI with AR5BXB61?

My Toshiba NB200 recognizes  the card pci dell wireless 1505 )BMC 4328, but I can not make it work.

And any news of the sleep mode??????

I need help please

Thanks from Chile

• 2 weeks later...

you say

" I replaced the Atheros AR9285 WIFI with AR5BXB61 natively recognized by Snow Leopard. Sleep work in progress.."

but it didn' work for me.

also when I try to clik system utilitys, comes an error.

you say

" I replaced the Atheros AR9285 WIFI with AR5BXB61 natively recognized by Snow Leopard. Sleep work in progress.."

but it didn' work for me.

also when I try to clik system utilitys, comes an error.

Can anyone Help? wireless not working. where can I find AR5BXB61 kext file ?