Edit AppleLPC.kext?

trwoolley

10 posts in this topic

Recently I upgraded my system below with GigaBoot 1.7 and now I find that I have no Options Tab in the Energy Saver Pane of System Preferences. Could it be that AppleLPC.kext perhaps has been disabled in my DSDT.aml for 1.7? I am not experienced in editing DSDT. Can someone walk me through it?

run kextstat -k from Terminal to see which kernel extensions are loaded.

Thanks! Terminal kextstat -k yielded no entry for AppleLPC.kext, AppleLPC, or even LPC. Actually I am not even sure if this kext is the culprit. It was mentioned in another thread but not regarding the Options Tab.

All I know is that having AppleLPC.kext loaded is a requirement for vanilla speedstepping, and that it will make 'restart on power failure' appear in the power settings.

Yeah, I know! And the source (mrjanek\AsereBLN) of my bootloader and Extras folder wouldn't futz with a kernel extension so critical. I am not savvy enough to fiddle with their work.

It occurs to me that I updated my BIOS a few days ago, and I also applied the latest Snow Leopard Security Update just before I noticed the omission from my Energy Saver Preferences. I wonder if either change had something to do with it.

• 2 weeks later...

You can edit the plist inside the kext and add the device ID of your LPC device, then the kext will load. Use LSPCI (or Windows Device Manager/Linux Live CD) to find it. Look for "ISA Bridge" with LSPCI.

There's also a LegacyAppleLPC.kext floating around that you can use in /Extra/Extensions. Check if it has your LPC's device ID in it before using it.

But to keep that vanilla flavor-goodness, the best way is to add the device ID to the LPC device in your DSDT.

You can edit the plist inside the kext and add the device ID of your LPC device, then the kext will load. Use LSPCI (or Windows Device Manager/Linux Live CD) to find it. Look for "ISA Bridge" with LSPCI.

There's also a LegacyAppleLPC.kext floating around that you can use in /Extra/Extensions. Check if it has your LPC's device ID in it before using it.

But to keep that vanilla flavor-goodness, the best way is to add the device ID to the LPC device in your DSDT.

Thank you very much Beerkex'd! I had wondered myself if editing the info.plist inside AppleLPC.kext would work. Perhaps you came across my post here yesterday:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1408692

"The PCI Dev-Id of the LPC device is 0x3a18 for the ICH10 southbridge and 0x3a16 for the ICH10R. The driver is AppleLPC.kext. You can find them in /System/Library/Extensions. The problem is that AppleLPC does not load if you have an ICH10R southbridge, because it has no entry for the ICH10R Dev-Id in IONameMatch (see Info.plist in AppleLPC.kext). This can be fixed by patching the AppleLPC.kext itself or by patching the DSDT like this..."

But Asere showed the code for DSDT, not what to put in the info.plist. I will try, and get back to you.

Your help is much, much appreciated!

Success!

I now have AppleLPC.kext activated, showing in terminal, showing in ASP, with "Start up automatically after power failure" as an option in Energy Saver System Preferences. What I did:

1. SL incremental backup on my bootable clone with Carbon Copy Cloner. Rebooted into clone to verify, rebooted back to main SL HHD.

2. Logged in as root - made extra copy of original AppleLPC.kext and safely stored it elsewhere.

3. Opened System/Library/Extensions/AppleLPC.kext>Contents>Info.plist

4. Changed one number with Property List Editor:

----Root

------IOKitPersonalities

---------AppleLPC

------------IONameMatch

----------------String > pci8086,3a18 - change to > pci8086,3a16

5. Quit PLE, save

6. Restart - logins back into usual Administrative User Account

That's it!

I used your least preferred method because I could not find anything on Google or Bing but a very dated (August '09) Russian (cVad) LegacyAppleLPC.kext requiring a bit torrent download account, obviously for 10.5.x, not SL. Too iffy!

Since Kakewalk with AsereBLN bootloader and Extra folder contents (including DSDT.aml) is constantly and easily being updated (four just in the last month), it did not seem best to decompile, edit, then recompile DSDT at this time - I would certainly muck it up. I need to learn a great heap of stuff first! I don't even understand most of the technical jargon with which you and Asere punctuate your explanations. For example you say:

"Use LSPCI (or Windows Device Manager/Linux Live CD) to find it. Look for "ISA Bridge" with LSPCI."

What is LSPCI? I don't have a Linux Live CD. I don't have Linux. I have to boot Windows to access Windows Device Manager? What is ISA Bridge? I have always, and remain a Mac OS X fanboy (very old fanboy, I'll admit), and I boot into Windows 7 maybe once a month to access Gigabyte and Nvidia Utilities.

In any case, thank you for leading me in the right direction to fix this little mystery.

Look for "ISA Bridge" with LSPCI you say, and there it is!

post-546795-1266138247_thumb.png

Only I don't have to use Windows Device Manager or lspci in Linux terminal. Here it is in the Snow Leopard Terminal. ISA Bridge - 8 lines up from the bottom - (ICH10R) It's the EX58-UD5 Southbridge device ID > [8086: 3a16]

I AM learning, thanks to you!

:unsure:

Well done!

You can use DSDTSE from our friends in Spain to extract, decompile, edit and compile your DSDT. Try it and see just to get a feel for it. It's perfectly safe to play around with the editor, it doesn't make any changes to your existing DSDT.aml. Unless you save your edited file on top of it of course.

A word of warning; if you use any DSDT fixes found here in the forum don't copy/paste them into your own DSDT - type everything by hand. Copy/pasting sometimes adds invisible characters and this causes compiling errors that can be impossible to track down.