[GUIDE] Retail Snow Leopard DVD install for G41M-ES2L (USB Method)

DaveVegas

134 posts in this topic

Snow Leopard on G41M-ES2L

Using the USB installation method

Welcome to my guide. I'll show you how you can install snow leopard on your G41M-ES2L!

I'll keep the guide as simple as possible.

1. What's needed

• G41M_Files.zip (All the files im using are in there)
  • G41M-ES2L Motherboard (Bios F4)
  • Retail version of Snow Leopard
  • A graphic card (Since the build-in doesnt work)
  • 8GB USB (If you dont have any : Use a partition or your iPod something with 8gb on it)
  • Running Mac Os X Machine (Could be another partition or a borrowed macbook)

2. Preparation USB 1)

Insert your Snow Leopard DVD into your DVD drive. An icon will popup at your desktop.

bildschirmfoto20100127u.png

Now insert your 8GB Usb (Or ipod, sd card anything with 8gb on it) .

Go to Disk Utility and go to your USB stick. Click on erase (Use Mac Os X Journaled). Name it OSX86 (Optional)

Now, go to restore. Drag the Snow Leopard DVD icon (which is on your desktop) to the source. (Dont click on image)

Now drag your USB (OX86) to destination. Be sure to uncheck erase destination.

Now it should look like this:

usb.png

Now click on restore!

This will take about 20 minutes (Depends on the speed of your usb)

2. Preparation USB 2)

Now go to your G41M_Files folder and find myHack. Run it! (Located: Tools)

Select to install it on the USB (Important!)

Just before hitting Install click on customize and select the following kexts:

• com.apple.Boot.plist
  • GraphicsEnabler
  • PS2Controller (Optional: Use only if you have PS/2 keyboard)
  • FakeSMC.kext
  • LegacyAppleRTC.kext
  • NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
  • OpenHaltRestart.kext
  • PlatformUUID.kext

Hit install!

Now you're almost ready to boot from your USB!

Now copy the folder G41M_Files to your USB (We need some files later!)

2. Preparing your HD

Go to Disk Utility and choose your HD you want to install Snow Leopard on. Open the partition tab and change it from "Current" to 1 Partition. Use the Mac OS X Journaled. Name it. Now click "Option" and select "GUID Partition Table" (Important!)

Click Apply!

Note: You can do this step while installing snow leopard. Just before you choose your HD go to utilities and choose Disk Utility. The process is the same.

2. Boot from USB

Click the power button and hit F12 to bring up the boot options. Choose USB FDD and hit enter.

You'll see the bootloader. Press any key and then choose the OSX86 USB.

If you're lucky you'll get to the "Select Language Screen". Install SL and reboot.

3. Configuring the installaion

Press F12 and choose Hardrive and then choose the USB. You'll see the bootloader (You can install in verbose mode with -v). You'll see a nice intro video. We have snow leopard installed! But wait, the video is laggy and we have no sound. We have to fix this!

When you configured your country and name etc. you'll finally see the desktop.

My Hack

Go to your USB and open up the G41M_Files folder. Go to Tools and run myHack. This time you should choose your HD instead of your USB to install. Customize your installation and choose:

• com.apple.Boot.plist
  • GraphicsEnabler
  • FakeSMC.kext
  • LegacyAppleRTC.kext
  • OpenHaltRestart.kext
  • PlatformUUID.kext
  • Sleepenabler.kext

Hit install!

Audio

Open up G41M_Files/Audio and run AzaliaAudio.pkg. Install it on your HD.

Lan

To get your internet to work you have to install a kext. It's easier then it sounds.

Go to G41M_Files/Tools and double click the Kext Helper b7.zip. Open up Kext Helper b7.

Now go to G41M_Files/Lan double click RealtekR1000SL.kext.zip and then drag the RealtekR1000SL.kext to the Kext Helper b7. Enter your password and hit "Easy Install"

It should look like this:

Cross your fingers and reboot!

4. Finnishing up a)

There is a "Extra" folder in the G41M_Files folder. Open it up. Copy dsdt.aml.

Now go to Your HD/Extra. Paste dsdt.aml (If you wish you can do your own DSDT. Files are provided under "Make your own DSDT".

Do the same for com.apple.Boot.plist and SMBIOS.plist. If you're not happy what's in your "About this Mac Screen" change the SMBIOS.plist with TextMate (/Tools).

4. Finnishing up b )

If you really want to use your own DSDT.aml, here is a quick guide:

DSDT quick guide:

- let's begin... be sure you have a good texteditor handy (Tools/Textmate)

- open "Make your own DSDT" then "DSDT_Patcher1.0.1e" folder and double click "DSDT Patcher"

- a terminal window will open then press any key to continue

- next it will ask "Which OS to emulate? [0=Darwin, 1=WinXP, 2=WinVista]" input "0" and press enter

- a new Debug folder will appear and inside it are a few files but we are interested in "dsdt.dsl"

- open your dsdt.dsl using your preffered texteditor so we can start editing

- also as reference, open my included dsl to copy from it directly or check how it's done

- on your keyboard press "command F (Find)" and look for "_WAK", right above it copy paste "DTGP" located on your dsdtfix file

- again "command F (Find)" and enter RTC, look for "0x04" below RTC and changed them to "0x02" - this fix is for CMOS Reset

- (optional) command F (Find) and enter Azalia, go to dsdtfix file and copy paste "HDEF" to your dsl replacing azalia.. again check my included dsl for reference - this is for ALC888 Audio

- when done and sure everything is correct, hit save or (command S) to save your dsdt.dsl

- to compile it to .aml, drag and drop it (dsdt.dsl) to iAslMe, you'll get 1 warning (PARM under IGD0) but hopefully you have 0 error

- look for Sessions folder and copy dsdt.aml to /Extra of your Snow Leopard

screenshot20091122at135.png

● double click "pfix" (permission fix) then choose your snow leopard drive (type "/"), it will take a few minutes to create a new extension.mkext and repair permission but just be patient. reboot when done.

● after reboot for the Audio to take effect, launch System Preference then go to Sound and choose Internal Speakers/Built-In Speaker for both Sound Effects and Output Tab, press F11/F12 (apple keyboard), F14/F15 (for windows?) to test if you can hear a feedback.

4. Finnishing up c)

How to update correctly to 10.6.2

If you update to 10.6.2 you'll get kernel panic in the booting process. Here is a way how you can boot properly with 10.6.2 installed: (Thanks to GoRuSg at this point)

start "osx install" again (from your usb disk) select your language .. next screen go to tools and open your terminal.

type: cd /Volumes/<and whatever you named your osx partition> "cd /Volumes/OSX" in my case

type: cp mach_kernel mach_kernel.106 (rename your 10.6.2 kernel to temp name)

type: cp /mach_kernel mach_kernel (move 10.6 kernel to your system drive and let osx boot using that kernel)

type: reboot (reboot into your osx system drive it should work now)

once in osx remove your sleepenabler.kext

open your terminal

type: cd /Volumes/<and whatever you named your osx partiton> " cd /Volumes/OSX" in my case

type: sudo mv mach_kernel.106 mach_kernel (replace your current "usb install" kernel with proper 10.6.2 kernel)

reboot

osx should boot now with your new 10.6.2 kernel with no probs

now find sleepenabler for sl 10.6.2 (loads of them here and google if not pm me ill post it here once i get my hands on my osx box), install it.

REBOOT AGAIN AND YOU ARE FINISHED!

HAVE FUN WITH SNOW LEOPARD

Credits: sk1nhd33t from infinitemac, osx86 community! GoRuSg from Insanelymac!

Special thanks to: Zaap

DO NOT PM ME IF SOMETHING WENT WRONG. MAKE A NEW THREAD.

Maybe you've noticed: I'm not a native english speaker so excuse me for any wierd sentences.

Yours sincerely DAVE

If you missed it: download G41M_Files.zip

Dave

Thanks... I can install with this method, But I try to update to 10.6.2 after that I reboot then my Hackintosh, system panic. I install it again....

How to update...

start "osx install" again (from your usb disk) select your language .. next screen go to tools and open your terminal.

type: cd /Volumes/<and whatever you named your osx partition> "cd /Volumes/OSX" in my case

type: cp /mach_kernel mach_kernel (move 10.6 kernel to your system drive and let osx boot using that kernel)

open your terminal

type: cd /Volumes/<and whatever you named your osx partiton> " cd /Volumes/OSX" in my case

type: sudo mv mach_kernel.106 mach_kernel (replace your current "usb install" kernel with proper 10.6.2 kernel)

reboot

now find sleepenabler for sl 10.6.2 (loads of them here and google if not pm me ill post it here once i get my hands on my osx box), install it .. reboot. enjoy 10.6.2

Good Luck!

i logged on here to thank Dave for this excellent guide .. i confirm it works very well .. as i'm new to this osx scene this was the most helpful guide yet. easy to follow and straight to the point (i hate when you read a guide and it tells you to read 10 other guides in order to complete one step instead of saying .. download this .. install .. move on). One thing Dave .. could you maybe write an idiot proof guide for compiling dsdt on g41m-es2l ? the more guides i read about that the less hope i have of understanding the process. thank you again for this

open your terminal

reboot

now find sleepenabler for sl 10.6.2 (loads of them here and google if not pm me ill post it here once i get my hands on my osx box), install it .. reboot. enjoy 10.6.2

Good Luck!

i logged on here to thank Dave for this excellent guide .. i confirm it works very well .. as i'm new to this osx scene this was the most helpful guide yet. easy to follow and straight to the point (i hate when you read a guide and it tells you to read 10 other guides in order to complete one step instead of saying .. download this .. install .. move on). One thing Dave .. could you maybe write an idiot proof guide for compiling dsdt on g41m-es2l ? the more guides i read about that the less hope i have of understanding the process. thank you again for this

It's work very well!!

Thank you...Thank you very much for help.

And I want to tell...this guide can install on ASUS P5KPL/1600.

Snow Leopard on G41M-ES2L

Using the USB installation method

Welcome to my guide. I'll show you how you can install snow leopard on your G41M-ES2L!

I'll keep the guide as simple as possible.

1. What's needed

• G41M_Files.zip (All the files im using are in there)
  • G41M-ES2L Motherboard (Bios F4)
  • Retail version of Snow Leopard
  • A graphic card (Since the build-in doesnt work)
  • 8GB USB (If you dont have any : Use a partition or your iPod something with 8gb on it)
  • Running Mac Os X Machine (Could be another partition or a borrowed macbook)

2. Preparation USB 1)

Insert your Snow Leopard DVD into your DVD drive. An icon will popup at your desktop.

Now insert your 8GB Usb (Or ipod, sd card anything with 8gb on it) .

Go to Disk Utility and go to your USB stick. Click on erase (Use Mac Os X Journaled). Name it OSX86 (Optional)

Now, go to restore. Drag the Snow Leopard DVD icon (which is on your desktop) to the source. (Dont click on image)

Now drag your USB (OX86) to destination. Be sure to uncheck erase destination.

usb.png

Now click on restore!

This will take about 20 minutes (Depends on the speed of your usb)

2. Preparation USB 2)

Now go to your G41M_Files folder and find myHack. Run it! (Located: Tools)

Select to install it on the USB (Important!)

Just before hitting Install click on customize and select the following kexts:

• com.apple.Boot.plist
  • GraphicsEnabler
  • FakeSMC.kext
  • LegacyAppleRTC.kext
  • OpenHaltRestart.kext
  • PlatformUUID.kext

Hit install!

Now you're almost ready to boot from your USB!

Now copy the folder G41M_Files to your USB (We need some files later!)

2. Preparing your HD

Go to Disk Utility and choose your HD you want to install Snow Leopard on. Open the partition tab and change it from "Current" to 1 Partition. Use the Mac OS X Journaled. Name it. Now click "Option" and select "GUID Partition Table" (Important!)

Click Apply!

Note: You can do this step while installing snow leopard. Just before you choose your HD go to utilities and choose Disk Utility. The process is the same.

2. Boot from USB

Click the power button and hit F12 to bring up the boot options. Choose USB FDD and hit enter.

You'll see the bootloader. Press any key and then choose the OSX86 USB.

If you're lucky you'll get to the "Select Language Screen". Install SL and reboot.

3. Configuring the installaion

Press F12 and choose Hardrive and then choose the USB. You'll see the bootloader (You can install in verbose mode with -v). You'll see a nice intro video. We have snow leopard installed! But wait, the video is laggy and we have no sound. We have to fix this!

When you configured your country and name etc. you'll finally see the desktop.

My Hack

Go to your USB and open up the G41M_Files folder. Go to Tools and run myHack. This time you should choose your HD instead of your USB to install. Customize your installation and choose:

• com.apple.Boot.plist
  • GraphicsEnabler
  • FakeSMC.kext
  • LegacyAppleRTC.kext
  • OpenHaltRestart.kext
  • PlatformUUID.kext
  • Sleepenabler.kext

Hit install!

Audio

Open up G41M_Files/Audio and run AzaliaAudio.pkg. Install it on your HD.

Lan

To get your internet to work you have to install a kext. It's easier then it sounds.

Go to G41M_Files/Tools and double click the Kext Helper b7.zip. Open up Kext Helper b7.

Now go to G41M_Files/Lan double click RealtekR1000SL.kext.zip and then drag the RealtekR1000SL.kext to the Kext Helper b7. Enter your password and hit "Easy Install"

It should look like this:

Cross your fingers and reboot!

4. Finnishing up

There is a "Extra" folder in the G41M_Files folder. Open it up. Copy dsdt.aml.

Now go to Your HD/Extra. Paste dsdt.aml (If you wish you can do your own DSDT. Files are provided under "Make your own DSDT".

Do the same for com.apple.Boot.plist and SMBIOS.plist. If you're not happy what's in your "About this Mac Screen" change the SMBIOS.plist with TextMate (/Tools).

REBOOT AGAIN AND YOU ARE FINISHED!

HAVE FUN WITH SNOW LEOPARD

Credits: sk1nhd33t from infinitemac, osx86 community!

Special thanks to: Zaap

DO NOT PM ME IF SOMETHING WENT WRONG. MAKE A NEW THREAD.

Maybe you've noticed: I'm not a native english speaker so excuse me for any wierd sentences.

Yours sincerely DAVE

If you missed it: download G41M_Files.zip.

Dave

Can you upload the G41M_Files.zip to this site, or megaupload, ect? The rapid share link is down, and I really would love to be able to do this! Thanks!!!!

Jacob

Can you upload the G41M_Files.zip to this site, or megaupload, ect? The rapid share link is down, and I really would love to be able to do this! Thanks!!!!

Jacob

Im sorry that the Files are down. Here is a mirror:

G41M_Files.zip (Hotfile)

Sure I'll add a DSDT quickguide today. Can I use your "Update to 10.6.2" method in my guide?

Dave

is there any way we could make some kind of bootable rescue sl usb for G41M-ES2L ?

gave my box sl box to my sister (3h drive) and she got the lovely "boot1: error". the only way she can fix it is by using her eeepc and usb stick and i don't feel like driving there again. I found this: http://rapidshare.com/files/226534199/ChameleonBootDisk.zip she is able to boot but gets kernel panic normal and single user. Could any of you good people maybe modify this disk so it can boot broken SL OSX on G41M-ES2L ?

is there any way we could make some kind of bootable rescue sl usb for G41M-ES2L ?

gave my box sl box to my sister (3h drive) and she got the lovely "boot1: error". the only way she can fix it is by using her eeepc and usb stick and i don't feel like driving there again. I found this: http://rapidshare.com/files/226534199/ChameleonBootDisk.zip she is able to boot but gets kernel panic normal and single user. Could any of you good people maybe modify this disk so it can boot broken SL OSX on G41M-ES2L ?

Hey GoRuSg,

here you can download a compatible Boot123 CD (ISO) for G41M (Originally designed for G31M but should work aswell):

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=A9PGA820

Glad to help you guys.

Dave

Hey GoRuSg,

here you can download a compatible Boot123 CD (ISO) for G41M (Originally designed for G31M but should work aswell):

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=A9PGA820

Glad to help you guys.

Dave

yes that would work if only she had a cdr drive in her eeepc .. what i need is a bootable usb stick for g41m-es2l? anyway we can either modify that chameleon.img or create usb image from boot132 cd Dave posted ? im a linux user and i tried to do it couple times . . you need win machine to make usb image out of that boot123 cd. you got win Dave ?

<edit>

ok got boot132 for g31m try to boot with it but it wont. it finds my disk and my osx partition but it just stops at: Darwin. and thats in both multi and single user. don't even get to kernel load so no logs to look at. any help ?

yes that would work if only she had a cdr drive in her eeepc .. what i need is a bootable usb stick for g41m-es2l? anyway we can either modify that chameleon.img or create usb image from boot132 cd Dave posted ? im a linux user and i tried to do it couple times . . you need win machine to make usb image out of that boot123 cd. you got win Dave ?

<edit>

ok got boot132 for g31m try to boot with it but it wont. it finds my disk and my osx partition but it just stops at: Darwin. and thats in both multi and single user. don't even get to kernel load so no logs to look at. any help ?

Hmm, thats not good. But why do you need a boot123 CD if you gonna put it on a usb stick anyways?

i ended up driving down there and i managed to fix it BUT...if found that from time to time while in osx hard drive led will just stay on .. system will freeze .. and when restarting bios will not find my hard drive.. instead of Seagate 500gb it'll show a drive named of "." or " " and 67Gb in size .. what I've done was unplug power cable from the box for couple minutes, plug it back in (hard drive was found proper name proper size), osx wouldn't boot so i restarted .. hard drive not found properly only " " 67gb again. Unplug... wait .... plug in ... boot . go "ignore cache" boot in chameleon .. started .. checked hd and permission .. fixed lots of permissions .. rebooted .. working fine now TILL NEXT CRASH/FREEZE... any of you know whats causing all this mess and now to fix/prevent it from happening ?

I used the same guild that this guild was made from and it works great. The only thing is is how you wrote in all that terminal work to update to 10.6.2. All i did was download the sleepenable 10.6.2 kext from Netkas and removed the old sleepenable kext for Extra/Extensions and added the new one. Also i used kext utility to fix permissions and make a new Extensions.mkext and it worked without a kernel panic.

Also, the built in g4100 graphics drive will work, I even made a efi string for it and in the About this mac it showed that it supported QE. The only draw back is that you cant run dvds or use screen shots or make screen recordings, I got everything up and running and then later went out and bought a nvidia graphics card and installed it.

Good Luck!

If you want I get give you my DSDT that i have made for this motherboard, I have everything working after editing it.

Thanks a lot for your guide, I installed SL on my G41M-ES2L.

(only 10.6.0, have not upgraded to 10.6.2)

But I got some problem on audio, from the audio preference, I just can found HD Audio Output only.

No sound come from the analog out!!

Any hints for me to fix it?

does anyone have the bios settings for the G41M-ES2L?

I just installed Snow Leopard and Leopard using this board and there are no special requirements for the BIOS. You can install OSX with the defaults if you like.

For the record I did not use Dave's guide, I used the LifeHacker guide with Stell's V1 installer. I have a 7series Nvidia graphics card so after the install I edited the boot.plist in the extra folder to force 32 bit boot, then upgraded to 10.6.2. If you have an Nvidia 8series card or higher 64 bit will work fine.

I just installed Snow Leopard and Leopard using this board and there are no special requirements for the BIOS. You can install OSX with the defaults if you like.

For the record I did not use Dave's guide, I used the LifeHacker guide with Stell's V1 installer. I have a 7series Nvidia graphics card so after the install I edited the boot.plist in the extra folder to force 32 bit boot, then upgraded to 10.6.2. If you have an Nvidia 8series card or higher 64 bit will work fine.

Can you post the link for LifeHacker guide with Stell's V1 installer ?

http://lifehacker.com/5360150/install-snow...acking-required

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/life...now_Leopard.zip

One more thing, I don't like messing around with kext's so use this for

Sound

http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16812186035

and this for

Ethernet

http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16833156139

both are supported natively in OSX

Thanks a lots.

I will try it with my G41M-ES2L

What video card will you be using?

These are the BIOS settings I use with the above setup with a 7xxx series Nvidia Graphics card, just for reference.

BIOS Settings for the Gigabyte GA-G41M-ES2L motherboard with F6 BIOS

Standard CMOS Features:

Date: [set] Time: [set]

Drive A: [None]

Floppy 3 Mode Support: [Disabled]

Halt On: [No Errors]

Advanced BIOS Features:

Hard Disk Boot Priority: [set your boot drive as #1]

First Boot Device: [uSB-HDD]

Second Boot Device: [Hard Disk]

Third Boot Device: [Disabled]

Password Check: [setup if desired]

HDD S.M.A.R.T. Capability: [Enabled]

Limit CPUID Max. to 3: [Disabled]

No-Execute Memory Protect: [Enabled]

CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E): [Enabled]

CPU Thermal Monitor 2 (TM2): [Enabled]

CPU EIST Function: [Enabled]

Init Display First: [PEG]

Onboard VGA: [Enable If No Ext PEG]

Integrated Peripherals:

On-Chip Primary PCI IDE: [Enabled]

On-Chip Secondary PCI IDE: [Enabled]

On-Chip SATA Mode: [Auto]

USB Controller: [Enabled]

USB 2.0 Controller: [Enabled]

USB Keyboard Support: [Enabled]

USB Mouse Support: [Enabled]

Legacy USB storage detect: [Enabled]

Azalia Codec: [Disabled]

Onboard H/W LAN: [Disabled]

SMART LAN: [ignore]

Onboard LAN Boot ROM: [Disabled]

Onboard Serial Port 1: [Disabled]

Onboard Parallel Port: [Disabled]

Power Management Setup:

ACPI Suspend Type: [s3(STR)]

Soft-Off by PWR-BTTN: [instant-Off]

PME Event Wake Up: [Disabled]

Power On by Ring: [Disabled]

Resume by Alarm: [Disabled]

HPET Support: [Enabled]

HPET Mode: [32-bit Mode]

Power On By Mouse: [Disabled]

Power On By Keyboard: [Disabled]

AC Back Function: [soft-Off]

SL boots in 64-bit when using the Chameleon or PCEFI bootloaders.

If you wish to boot in 32-bit mode, you will have to add one of the following flags in your customized com.apple.Boot.plist in the Extra Folder:

-x32 (when using PCEFI)

arch=i386 (when using Chameleon RC3)

My com.apple.Boot.plist in the Extra Folder looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-x32</string>

<key>device-properties</key>

This is very important if using Nvidia 7xxx cards or lower because the system will Panic in 64 bit mode, if using Nvidia 8xxx or higher Booting in 64 bit will work just fine.

Can you tell which command is used to set 32 bit mode on this installer? I have seen several mentioned over the course of travels on the interweb. Thanks. Also thanks for this info, I have been beating my head against the wall trying to figure out why the system would KP each time I tried to boot using my 7200GS with 10.6.2.

EDIT: I found out the setting is already there and it is running in 32 bit mode. I have it updated now to 10.6.2 and it seems to be working fine. Thanks!

Hi mosslack, the info your looking for is right above your post actually. I have listed it for both Chameleon and PCEFI.

Another note on Nvidia graphics cards, the port closest to the motherboard is the primary port. On the 7xxx series card that port is VGA on 8xxx series and higher it is DVI. The reason I mention this is if you use the secondary port for any reason then do a resolution change you will be stuck on a blue screen, this also happens sometimes on boot. The reason is OSX gets confused when using the secondary port on Nvidia graphics cards. So the moral of the story is to always use the primary port on your graphics card.

Another tip, Stell made a V2 and V3 of his installer, they do not work for the ES2L board. Just use the V1 which is the exact one used in the Lifehacker guide.