Installation on Zotac Mag

59 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi - there don't seem to be many decent reviews - this one gives little useful info, save to say the thing gets noisier than one would like & that it has a seriously low-performance HDD fitted.

It would help those of you who already own the thing [& others] to open the case & take decent photos of the motherboard - especially useful are high-res images of the soundchip & any NIC chips onboard so we can see their exact model names/revisions.

You will definitely need a custom dsdt - this is quite simple to do; but capturing the original [to work from] requires booting the thing into Linux using a modern bootCD/liveCD then dumping the dsdt & writing it to a USB stick.

Fire up a Linux terminal & type:

cat /proc/acpi/dsdt > ~/Desktop/dsdt.aml

. . copy 'dsdt.aml' to your USB stick, then zip up & attach it to a post here for someone experienced to have a look.

• 3 weeks later...

I have one. With the standard BIOS settings it won't to install any OSX distros.

After overclock it, the problem regardings "Hey we are going backwards !!" was solved. But there seems to be other problems.

Snow Leopard won't install....it reboot automatically infinitely times.

Kalyway 10.5.2 will install... but at the first reboot it says ""using 10485 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers" it wont to boot anytime.

I have tried many times to install various distros but at this time there is no one that boot the MAG.

I have buyed Zotac MAG because i read that Atom 330 and nVidia ION is a good option for a OSX machine...but there was better to not buy it. :(

Anyone have solved the problems on this machine ???

Regards

Hi - there don't seem to be many decent reviews - this one gives little useful info, save to say the thing gets noisier than one would like & that it has a seriously low-performance HDD fitted.

It would help those of you who already own the thing [& others] to open the case & take decent photos of the motherboard - especially useful are high-res images of the soundchip & any NIC chips onboard so we can see their exact model names/revisions.

You will definitely need a custom dsdt - this is quite simple to do; but capturing the original [to work from] requires booting the thing into Linux using a modern bootCD/liveCD then dumping the dsdt & writing it to a USB stick.

Fire up a Linux terminal & type:

. . copy 'dsdt.aml' to your USB stick, then zip up & attach it to a post here for someone experienced to have a look.

ZOTAC_MAG_HD_ND01 DSDT

BIOS-W-8M (2K091009)
AMIBIOS
Version : 08.00.15
Build Date: 10/09/09
ID: A113PD06

I use debian-live-503-i386-xfce-desktop.iso boot and use cat /proc/acpi/dsdt > ZOTAC_MAG_HD_ND01_dsdt.aml dumped it. See attachment for detail.

I also use EVEREST v5.30 (under winXP) dumped a BIN file acpi_dsdt.bin , the acpi_dsdt.bin as same as ZOTAC_MAG_HD_ND01_dsdt.aml

Try use ACPI Patcher.exe process it , but failed.

ZOTAC_MAG_HD_ND01_dsdt.aml.zip

twilight.lee - Hi - thanks for this. Yes, it does need a patched dsdt.

Do you have another Mac/Hac? . . . you will eed a running install of 10.6.x, from which to install SL onto the Zotac Mag.

I'll patch the dsdt over what is left of the w/e - will probably have it ready some time late tonight or tomorrow.

twilight.lee - Hi - thanks for this. Yes, it does need a patched dsdt.

Do you have another Mac/Hac? . . . you will eed a running install of 10.6.x, from which to install SL onto the Zotac Mag.

I'll patch the dsdt over what is left of the w/e - will probably have it ready some time late tonight or tomorrow.

Great!

My Zotac MAG with 10.6.0 , but it's unstable. I also have a AMD Hackintosh with 10.5.7,is it helpful?

Great!

My Zotac MAG with 10.6.0 , but it's unstable. I also have a AMD Hackintosh with 10.5.7,is it helpful?

. . . attached please find 2x clean dsdts: the one marked '2core' is to use if you cannot switch off Hyperthreading aka HTT in the BIOS; the one marked '4core' is to use if you can switch off Hyperthreading.

You will need to have Hyperthreading switched off [or use the 2core dsdt] when doing the initial install of 10.6.x; but can re-enable it if you use the binhacked 32-bit or 64-bit [recommended] 10.6.2 kernels by teateam

Installation basics - suggest you read up some basics on this - the snag with these ION platform mobos is that you cannot install off a USB device nor an optical device.

. . . so you have to remove your HDD & connect it to a working OS X [ideally 10.6.x] installation, then use the 'OSInstall.mpkg' method from there onto your HDD, then install chameleon [make sure to have GraphicsEnabler ticked] together with this patched dsdt & any basic 0SX86 kexts you may need in your /Extra folder - fakesmc & CPUPMdisabler would be obvious starting-points.

The attached dsdt is very basic but should allow your Zotac Mag to boot OSX - if & when you have the thing running OSX, please post here with screenshots & I will provide a fully-patched dsdt for full functionality including onboard sound.

Suggest you don't waste your time with hacked-about OSX86 'distros' . . & please post here with any issues you may have, after doing your basic research on install techniques - Prasys may be particularly helpful to you in the 'Installing Snow Leopard from Leopard' section.

Good Luck & have fun :(

Zotac_Mag_for_twilight_lee_basic.zip

. . . attached please find 2x clean dsdts: the one marked '2core' is to use if you cannot switch off Hyperthreading aka HTT in the BIOS; the one marked '4core' is to use if you can switch off Hyperthreading.

You will need to have Hyperthreading switched off [or use the 2core dsdt] when doing the initial install of 10.6.x; but can re-enable it if you use the binhacked 32-bit or 64-bit [recommended] 10.6.2 kernels by teateam

Installation basics - suggest you read up some basics on this - the snag with these ION platform mobos is that you cannot install off a USB device nor an optical device.

. . . so you have to remove your HDD & connect it to a working OS X [ideally 10.6.x] installation, then use the 'OSInstall.mpkg' method from there onto your HDD, then install chameleon [make sure to have GraphicsEnabler ticked] together with this patched dsdt & any basic 0SX86 kexts you may need in your /Extra folder - fakesmc & CPUPMdisabler would be obvious starting-points.

The attached dsdt is very basic but should allow your Zotac Mag to boot OSX - if & when you have the thing running OSX, please post here with screenshots & I will provide a fully-patched dsdt for full functionality including onboard sound.

Suggest you don't waste your time with hacked-about OSX86 'distros' . . & please post here with any issues you may have, after doing your basic research on install techniques - Prasys may be particularly helpful to you in the 'Installing Snow Leopard from Leopard' section.

Good Luck & have fun :thumbsup_anim:

Thank you , shoarthing.

Today I download your attachment file , and try on my Zotac MAG with hacked 10.6.0, but no lucky.

I put the "4core dsdt.aml" in the /Extra , BIOS also switch HTT off , chown dsdt.aml to root:admin.

It's show me panic (cpu 0 caller 0xff....) Don't_steal_MacOS_ ....

I will install 10.6.0 retail latter , and try again.

Thank you , shoarthing.

Today I download your attachment file , and try on my Zotac MAG with hacked 10.6.0, but no lucky.

I put the "4core dsdt.aml" in the /Extra , BIOS also switch HTT off , chown dsdt.aml to root:admin.

It's show me panic (cpu 0 caller 0xff....) Don't_steal_MacOS_ ....

I will install 10.6.0 retail latter , and try again.

. . . you must have fakesmc or other SL-friendly 'dsmos' in your /Extra/Extensions folder (that's why you saw: Don't Steal Mac OS) . . . as I said before, the other basic kext you'll need fer sher is some form of NullCPUPowerManagement

There is any positive news ??!?!? I have tried everything in this machine...with no results.. I am very surprised because i thinked tha motherboard was a IonITX from ZotaC...but this one doesn't work with Leo. I think i will resell The Zotac MAG i had buyed 1 months ago.

I am not a expert, but i see that nobody more expert than me, have one positive tried installation worked fine.

If someone have good news or will suppose that there is a more things to try i am ready. :)

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, Install 10.6.0 retail on Zotac MAG .

Still need do some BIOS settings

1. on CPU settings turn off HTT(HyperThread...)

2. on USB settings , set USB to FullSpeed

3. on USB settings , set ECHI... to disable

It's seemed DSDT Hacks Package (0x06) { 1596, 64524, 10, 10, 0xc1b, 0xc1b } not work on this machine. Still need NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

I try make a LegacyHDA , but failed.

I upload my stuff , include ALC888_card0_codec#0.txt , ZOTAC_MAG_HD_ND01_dsdt.Ori.aml ,

and my modified DSDT.aml ....

You can install 10.6.0 retail follow this http://prasys.co.cc/2009/08/installing-sno...pard-for-osx86/

Zotac_MAG.zip

Glad to see you've got your Zotac Mag running. Diffing dsdts between these ION-platform mobos can speed things up a great deal; but you need to be careful.

1) If possible, check your motherboard to see what's screen-printed on the audio IC - I'd be surprised if it was the ALC888, often used by Dell/Alienware & Gigabyte, since Zotac have used the ALC662 on plural similar models.

2) Do you have functioning USB1.1 & USB2? - About this Mac should show something like this [from a Zotac ION-ITX]:

ZotacEHCI.png

3) The method you're using for the onboard 9400M looks a little less than optimal - IME you don't need or want NVCAP entries since this can 'lock' your allocated video RAM & disallow changing the amount allocated in the BIOS/Southbridge.

1. sorry , Zotac MAG hardly to open. I think it's ALC888 , because in Windows I use EVEREST double checked. And when I Ubuntu 9.10 dump codec , still show below info

Codec: Realtek ALC888

Address: 0

Function Id: 0x1

Vendor Id: 0x10ec0888

Subsystem Id: 0x10eca113

Revision Id: 0x100001

No lucky for me , if it's ALC662 , I can use your LegacyHDA.kext.

2.No USB1.1 or USB2.0 in System Profiler

3. I don't understand your means. You mean use Chameleon internal GraphicEnabler is better than DSDT or use EFI-Stirings is better?

post-106808-1269265069_thumb.png

Hallo. I have my Zotac MAG open...so i can post every pictures you want.

As you will ask pictures, i'll put them here if you want them.

01-vi.jpg

I am disappoint about the explaination of the installation on this post.

I am a newbie but the infos shared aren't good enought for my installation.

- I have format a usb 8gb stick with Journaled and GUID.

- I have restored the OSX Snow Leopard Retail onto USB stick

- I have copy the two folder : "Extra" and "stuff" (from the Zotaz_Mag.zip file provided by twilight.lee) in the USB stick root.

- I have put the HT off amd the USB setting in BIOS as you sayed.

- When i try to install from USB, when chameleon came i type : -v -x cpus=1

This is the screen i get :

02-vi.jpg

What's the problem ?!? What i do wrong ?!?

Another question : If someone have SL working.

What's working ?? (Wi-Fi ?? Audio ?? ) What's not working ??

Please help me. I am trying to install SL into MAG for 1 month with no success.

Can someone explain better every single step for installing SL retail into MAG ?

I can help and provide pictures of any parts do you want.

Regards

Hi , sleddas , don't be rush , you need do more research before start installation.

Do you exactly follow instruction on hxxp://prasys.co.cc/2009/08/installing-snow-leopard-for-osx86/ ?

Did you run below command?

sudo chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/OSX86/System/Library/Extensions

sudo chmod -R 755 /Volumes/OSX86/System/Library/Extensions

sudo chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/OSX86/Extra/Extensions

sudo chmod -R 755 /Volumes/OSX86/Extra/Extensions

sudo kextcache -v 1 -m /Volumes/OSX86/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext

/Volumes/OSX86/System/Library/Extensions

kextcache -v 1 -t -m /Extra/Extensions.mkext /Extra/AdditionalExtensions

sudo kextcache -v 1 -m /Volumes/OSX86/Extra/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/OSX86/Extra/Extensions/

And install Chameleon v2RC1 to your SUB stick?

Imporant: if you want install Snow Leopard to a MBR Harddisk , you must replace tow hacked file: OSIntall and OSInstall.mpkg. if you want , leave a EMail , I will send to you.

===============================================================

I am running SL on this machine , Video working (use Chameleon GraphicEnabler) , Audio working ( use VoodooHDA) , Net card working , WiFi NOT working.

Can you check Audio IC and net card IC and WIFI as same as below or not?

001055226.jpg

001055227.jpg

001055225.jpg

Hallo. I have my Zotac MAG open...so i can post every pictures you want.

As you will ask pictures, i'll put them here if you want them.

What's working ?? (Wi-Fi ?? Audio ?? ) What's not working ??

I can help and provide pictures of any parts do you want.

Regards

. . thank you for the offer: as twilight.lee said, please take clear close-up images - similar to those posted above - of the Audio IC, the Ethernet IC, & Wifi card/device so their make/model can be identified.

Hallo i have disassemble all the zotac MAG for take detailed pictures of the parts did you request.

Here we are :

This is the Wi-Fi mini pci-e card :

04-vi.jpg

Here is the Audio Chip :

05-vi.jpg

This is the Network chip :

06-vi.jpg

If you need somoe others pictures let me know it.

I am searching for installing Snow Leopard Retail without success... i follow all the steps, but something is wrong. Can anyone explain the error i posted in the pictures ??

Can anyone make a detailed step by step installation guide for the Zotac Mag. Something is missing for me but i cannot find by me at this point. Thousands of installations and try...but nothing.

I have set the AHCI instead of SATA controller from the BIOS. Is That correct ?!?

for twilight.lee this is my email : sleddas@hotmail.com

Best Regards

sleddas - Hi - Thank you for these clear images.

The WiFi & Ethernet are identical to those used on other Zotac motherboards - there should be no serious issue getting these to work - they work out-of-the-box for me using a ION-ITX under 10.6.2

The ALC888 may be more of a hassle; but can probably be sorted sooner or later.

Install issues with ION-platform motherboards are commonly due to USB issues - I have never been able to install from a USB device, & repeatedly failed to install via a SATA-attached optical drive, tho' have installed OSX many times to two different ION motherboards.

I have always installed to an HDD connected to a working OSX installation; then transferred this HDD to the ION after customising dsdt & kexts & smbios & booter so on for the specific motherboard.

If twilight.lee has a working technique to install from a USB device I am sure he will link you to useful resources.

. . . but in principle, though information is freely shared in this community, there is little hand-holding. If you want an 'easy install' of OSX86 you need to obtain & use a known-supported motherboard & peripherals.

Maybe shoarthing is right. I am deeply sorry for misleading.

I also NOT use USB device install Snow Leopard , because I am success intall a hacked release OSXPCBETA . Then install 10.6.0 retail from this hacked SL.

sleddas , if you want to try , please google for it.

OSXPCBETA2010.iso MD5:e286ea9811c22bf273d1cfab8af7422b

===============================================================

I think install Snow Leopard 10.6.0 Retail is better.

Key Point

BOIS Setting

Advanced

CPU Configuration

Max CPUID Value Limit [Disabled]

Execute-Disable Bit Capability [Enabled]

Hyper Threading Technology [Disabled]

IDE Configuration

SATA Mode Select [AHCI Mode]

Change the AHCI DID for Linux [Disabled]

USB Configuration

Legacy USB Support [AUTO]

USB 2.0 Controller Mode [FullSpeed]

BIOS EHCI Hand-off [Disabled]

sudo chown -R root:wheel

/Volumes/YourSL/System/Library/Extensions

sudo chmod -R 755

sudo chown -R root:wheel

/Volumes/YourSL/Extra/Extensions

sudo chmod -R 755

/Volumes/YourSL/Extra/Extensions

sudo kextcache -v 1 -m

/Volumes/YourSL/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext

(Note : This has to be in one line , not two separate

lines)

sudo kextcache -v 1 -m /Volumes/YourSL/Extra/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/YourSL/Extra/Extensions/

If you want install to MBR Harddisk , you must replace tow files , OSInstall and OSInnstall.mpkg

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Frameworks/OSInstall.framework/Versions/A/OSInstall
/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg

USE Chameleon v2 RC1 to boot

BOOT Flags

-v cpus=1

or

-v -legacy -x32 cpus=1

Sorry , sleddas , no much free time to make a step by step instruction.

PS: Your kernel panic in picture likes Hyper Threading Technolgy NOT disabled , are you sure it's disabled in BIOS settings?

I have HT off in bios and all setting as you have posted.

I have downloaded and tryed to install OSXPCbeta2010.iso too without sucess.

Many post ago i have asked about this distros but i have obtained no additional informations about.

I have an hackintosh (SL 10.6.0) too and i can use it. I have the Zotac MAG open as you see, so there is no problem for me to remove the Sata hard disk and connect to the ZOTAC ITX 9300 Quad-core Hackintosh. If you think that is better i can install from the hackintosh and then put the hard disk into the Zotac MAG.

I have no idea how to proceded.

I have already sayed that i have installed Snow Leopard Hazard 10.6 into the Zotac Mag without no problem.. but at the first reboot i get a panic kernel...i don't know if the option i have chose during the customizing installation of the Hazard distro was fine for the Zotac Mag.

I have tryied many times.

I have OSXPCbeta2010.iso too that i had downloaded when i heard that twilight.lee have installed on. But the results was the same.

I have all distro and a ZOTAC 9300 Mini ITX quad-core with snow leopard functionally at this time.

What's the better choice for installing it in the Zotac MAG ?

I had understand that twilight.lee had installed SL Retail from USB, without have OSXPCbeta2010.iso installed..but there was not clear this point at now.

I can make every test i want with an hackintosh and a various distros.

The snow leopard hazard will install without any problems, until first reboot...so i thinked that this is the best thing at this time i have do.

Best Regards

sleddas - Hi - you *should* be able to boot 10.6.0 with SATA=AHCI/RAID=off/HTT= off/MAX CPUID =on/execute-disable=on

You *must* have a suitable dsdt in the place specified by your booter - the dsdt I edited should be safe.

You *must* have fakesmc & NullIntelCPUPowerManagement in /E/E or wherever your booter prefers.

You *must* install to a GUID-partitioned HDD

I have all USB settings at Auto or enable

Suggest you use a fairly recent version of Chameleon code - I *think* I am using PC-EFI v 10.6; but suggest you source the most recent Chameleon installer you can get hold of.

Enable & use the GraphicsEnabler function in your chameleon-based booter.

Suggest you connect a display monitor with working EDID functionality via DVI or HDMI

Post back with a clear screenshot of any problems & a clear explanation of exactly where & when things went wrong.

. . & be sure to have fun . . . :(

I had understand that twilight.lee had installed SL Retail from USB, without have OSXPCbeta2010.iso installed..but there was not clear this point at now.

sleddas , You are misunderstanding. I have NOT install SL Retail or OSXPCBeta2010.iso from USB.

I am use Leopard hd install helper install OSXPCbeta2010.iso to my Zotac MAG. Then install SL Retail from this distro.

Your CPU of Zotac MAG is ATOM N330 1.60GHz dual-core , isn't?

Can you dump DSDT from your Zotac MAG , I will compare with mine to see there different.

As shoarthing post , Fire up a Linux terminal & type:

Or use EVEREST v5.30 dump it from Windows

Mouse right click on Statusbar of EVEREST v5.30 ===> ACPI Tool ===>Save DSDT

As shoarthing said :

Post back with a clear screenshot of any problems & a clear explanation of exactly where & when things went wrong.