How To Dual Boot Windows 7 and Mac OS X

11 posts in this topic

Hey guys! I just thought since I have my SWEET, SWEET Dell Inspiron 1545 hackintosh up and running smoothly, that I would write a tutorial about how to dual boot Windows 7 and Mac OS X. Now you’re going to need a couple things to get started.

1. The Computer, for this tutorial a Dell Inspiron 1545 with these specs:

a. Intel Pentium 2.0ghz T4200 Processor

b. 2gb DDR2 Ram

c. Intel GM45 Chipset

d. 160gb HDD

2. The iAtkos DVD Version 7

3. Windows 7 DVD

4. Time!!!

Alrighty! Let’s start this stuff!

1. First install Windows 7 if you already haven’t. Just do the normal install and boot right into Windows.

2. Next, download and install EasyBCD. You’re not going to use it just yet, but just install it to get it out of the way.

3. In Windows, go to Start, right click My Computer and click Manage. Click Drive Management and right click your hard drive. Click Shrink Volume and shrink your volume down at least 20 gigabytes. After you do that, click your new allocated space and click New. Make a new partition and call it Mac OS X. Make sure you format it using NTFS.

4. After all that is done, get ready for some fun. This is probably the most challenging (and fun) part. Pop the iAtkos DVD into your DVD drive and restart your computer. Boot from the DVD.

5. My advice is that you hit f8 when it asks you if you want to. After you do, type �"v and hit enter. It will look like an intimidating, CIA computer screen. Don’t worry about any errors you see and just give it a couple minutes. Eventually, you’ll get the install screen.

6. If you got this far, you’re doing awesome! Okay, now after you read the “agreement” which is really a helpful factbook, go to Utilities and click Disk Utility. Remember that partition you made earlier, the “Mac OS X” one? Select that partition and click the “Erase” tab. Format it as Mac OS X (Journaled) and click erase.

7. Now you can exit the Disk Utility. You will now have a choice of what volume you want install Mac OS X on. Click the only one that’s there.

8. You are now at the confirmation menu. DON’T GO ON! You must click customize! You are now going to see a long list of random things. These random things are very important, though. These are the options you’re supposed to pick:

-iAtkos v7 Main System

-Bootloader: Chameleon v2

-x86 Patches:

-/extra directory

-DSDT

-Decrypters: Apple Decrypt

-Smbios Drivers: None

-Disablers

-Drivers:

VGA: None

Sata/Ide: Intel SATA/IDE

Intel Speedstop:

Speedstop driver

Throttling control

Sound-none

Ps/2 Mouse, Keyboard: voodoo driver (not the trackpad one)

Laptop battery

NTFS-3G

Post Install Actions

9. Now exit out of this and go forward. Wait for the install to be done and restart your computer. The computer will boot into Mac and you’ll have to fill out a couple pages of stuff, like the time and date. Nice, now you have Mac, but no Windows.

10. Take out the iAtkos DVD and pop in your Windows 7 DVD, Restart your computer and boot from the DVD. Click next and then click repair. It might or might not recognize problems. If it does, don’t let it repair it. You then should get a menu with a bunch of options. Click the bottom one, about the command prompt, and wait for it to pop up.

11. (Hit enter after each phrase) Now, type DISKPART. Then type list disk. Type select disk 0. Now type list partition. Find your Windows partition on the list. It should have a number next to it. Type select partition x. (x refers to the number I just mentioned) Type active. Type exit twice and restart your computer.

12. Your computer should boot into Windows. Login and start EasyBCD, the program you downloaded earlier. Click the Diagnostics Center button. Tick the “Repair OS X ‘HFS+ Partition Error’” It should bring up a menu. Select the disk and the partition and click OK.

13. Your next step is to go to the Add/Remove Entries category. Add an entry for a Mac. Select from the drop down box ”Generic x86 PC” and name it whatever you want. Click the Save button at the top and exit. Reboot the computer and voila! If you select the Windows 7 option, it should boot into Windows 7. If you select your Mac option, it should boot into the Chameleon Bootloader and boot right into your Mac.

14. Congratulations! You should now have a fully working dual boot “Hackintosh”

15. Chances are you will want Wi-Fi, so here is the installer for it. http://redirectingat.com/?id=292X457&u...25_Mac.zip.html

Hopefully this tutorial went well for you. If I made your day, I am glad I did! If I didn’t make your day, and I completely destroyed your day (or your computer) I am sorry, though I am not responsible. If you have any questions, or want me to write any more tutorials, go ahead and post! I am always glad to hear feedback and once again, thanks for reading and happy Hackintoshing-thingy-sorta-windows-7-machine-thing!

• 1 month later...

Thank you I can finally make this work, though I have a couple of questions.

First, once I installed it, I get some errors trying to repair windows. It enters the windows boot manager and tells me I have to repair it using the windows DVD (though I did what you said before).

Then, EasyBCD doesnt work, when I try to boot mac os x, it just boots into windows.

Also, I cant seem to press f8 on the darwin bootloader, so each time a kext went wrong - I am screwed, have to reinstall everything.

One last problem - I would like to boot with chameleon into W7, but by default mac os is chosen.. any guide on how to change this?

Thanks again!

Why don't you try to upload some photos of the problems your having. I can however help you with the default bootloader. Do the same thing as the guide says. When you boot into windows, open up a command prompt and do diskpart. Do the whole process of selecting disks etc. When you get to the part where you select a partition, slect your mac one and then type active. Since the Chameleon Bootloader is on that partition, it should boot into Chameleon. Choose your Windows partition and it should boot into WIndows. TaDA!

Thank you I can finally make this work, though I have a couple of questions.

First, once I installed it, I get some errors trying to repair windows. It enters the windows boot manager and tells me I have to repair it using the windows DVD (though I did what you said before).

Then, EasyBCD doesnt work, when I try to boot mac os x, it just boots into windows.

Also, I cant seem to press f8 on the darwin bootloader, so each time a kext went wrong - I am screwed, have to reinstall everything.

One last problem - I would like to boot with chameleon into W7, but by default mac os is chosen.. any guide on how to change this?

Thanks again!

Thanks for the guide, followed it through, and though I had problems with the osx86 side of things (stuck at apple logo after completing install if anyone can help!), I think I can probably help with the chameleon loader issues, so no need for EasyBCD (in my case).

Note : Make sure that when selecting a Windows Partition, you select the "System Reserved" partition.

After install, when I tried to boot Windows 7 using chameleon I got:

"The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible"

And could get no further.

Following step 11 (which did not find any previous windows install), boot into the windows DVD again and this time it should find your windows version to repair. Allow it to repair and reboot again.

Again boot from DVD, follow step 11, but instead of selecting your windows partition, select your Mac OS X partition and make that active.

reboot and you should get the chameleon loader back.

Booting your "Windows reserved partition" should now work as normal, though OSX is still currently the default OS loaded.

Completely new to all of this, but hope the above helps someone.

Thanks! I got asked a question and was trying to come up with the answer. This is perfect! Thanks again! :)

Thanks for the guide, followed it through, and though I had problems with the osx86 side of things (stuck at apple logo after completing install if anyone can help!), I think I can probably help with the chameleon loader issues, so no need for EasyBCD (in my case).

Note : Make sure that when selecting a Windows Partition, you select the "System Reserved" partition.

After install, when I tried to boot Windows 7 using chameleon I got:

"The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible"

And could get no further.

Following step 11 (which did not find any previous windows install), boot into the windows DVD again and this time it should find your windows version to repair. Allow it to repair and reboot again.

Again boot from DVD, follow step 11, but instead of selecting your windows partition, select your Mac OS X partition and make that active.

reboot and you should get the chameleon loader back.

Booting your "Windows reserved partition" should now work as normal, though OSX is still currently the default OS loaded.

Completely new to all of this, but hope the above helps someone.

Thanks so much for the guide! It worked and I now have OSX on my computer!

I have 2 major problems however.

1 - I have no sound

2 - I dont have AirPort

I followed your instructions to the T and I'm assuming because of the fact that you said to select Sound-None and there was no Networking customization in the Customize section that this may be why I have these 2 problems.

If anybody can help me to get these 2 things working that'd be great, hopefully it's not too hard. I am pretty noobish at this so as detailed as you can possibly be would be great lol. Thanks again for the tut!

First off, the VooDoo HDA sound driver does work when you check it off in the installation, it's just that there's no volume control. Wifi however is good. Download the Kext Helper and install the wifi kexts. That should work. Respond back to me with any questions!

Thanks so much for the guide! It worked and I now have OSX on my computer!

I have 2 major problems however.

1 - I have no sound

2 - I dont have AirPort

I followed your instructions to the T and I'm assuming because of the fact that you said to select Sound-None and there was no Networking customization in the Customize section that this may be why I have these 2 problems.

If anybody can help me to get these 2 things working that'd be great, hopefully it's not too hard. I am pretty noobish at this so as detailed as you can possibly be would be great lol. Thanks again for the tut!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey!

I can't even get at the install screen. When I boot from the DVD with iAtkos V7, I get the message that I have to contact the Voodoo Kernel Team, because some drivers are missing.

I have, besides HD and memory, exact the same configuration as you. Could you help me?