Boot0 Error - Stuck Trying to boot directly to HDD

G-RaZoR

11 posts in this topic

Last week I finally got around to joining the Hackintosh club by setting up a SL box. I followed the article on LifeHacker and I would say just about everything is ok except when I try to boot to the HDD without booting through the USB drive.

The error that I am getting (after Verifying Pool Data during the startup)is:

boot0: GPT
boot0: testing
boot0:testing
boot0: error

To be honest, this problem really has me stumped. I don't know if it is incompatible hardware or what (I didn't follow the article's hardware list exactly). The article states to install Stella's EP45-UD3P package to the HDD after installation. This is done (matter of fact, I used v3).

I enjoy trying to solve the problem on my own (to learn how and why things work), so my searches have found that the partition needs to be formatted as MBR. Is this correct?

I've followed numerous articles including this one, this one, and Lifehacker's Terminal steps involving the boot1h, boot0, and boot files.

Is there anyone who has had a similar problem and knows exactly how to fix it? I've even tried installing Chameleon RC4, and have tried installing Stella's package on multiple occasions.

I don't know if it matters, but the current partition is GUID (as per Lifehacker's instructions) and is only 1 partition. I am not dual booting anything.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

PLEASE US ETHE SEARCH FUCTION!!!

You simply need to make your osx snow leopard active again, somehoe it has been maked as un active.

follow this.. and it will 100% fix it for you, I got this erro all the time. very easily fixed. WITHOUT REINSTALLING!

There are a lot of people who experience a b0 error on their first boot up after installation. Or the bootloader immediately takes them back to the Windows installation (on dual boot).

These people probably forgot to set the MacOSX partition "Active"

A common mantra provided here to newbies for setting up for installation is:

Make the partition Primary

Make the partition ID=AF (signifies an HFS partition)

Make the partition Active

There is a built-in Unix utility in MacOSX that can be used to set your partition "Active". It is called Fdisk

Setting Your Partition "Active" Using Fdisk

Words in bold below are things you must type (followed by Enter).

1. Boot your Mac OS X install dvd

2. Once the installer is running, go to the Utilities menu and open Terminal

3. Determine which disk your MacOSX partition is on

Type diskutil list

Verify which disk number holds your partition (disk0, disk1, etc.)

4. Start using Fdisk

Assuming the MacOSX disk is the first disk ("disk0"), then

type fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0 <== use "rdisk" with your disk number here !!

Ignore the error "fdisk: could not open MBR file ..."

5. Determine which partition for MacOSX needs to be set "Active"

Type p

Verify which partition is for MacOSX (1, 2, 3, etc.)

6. Set the partition "Active"

Assuming it is partition 1, then

type f 1 <== use your partition number here !!

7. Save and exit

Type write

Type y (yes you are sure)

Type exit (to quit)

8. Remove the install DVD and reboot

PLEASE US ETHE SEARCH FUCTION!!!

You simply need to make your osx snow leopard active again, somehoe it has been maked as un active.

follow this.. and it will 100% fix it for you, I got this erro all the time. very easily fixed. WITHOUT REINSTALLING!

There are a lot of people who experience a b0 error on their first boot up after installation. Or the bootloader immediately takes them back to the Windows installation (on dual boot).

These people probably forgot to set the MacOSX partition "Active"

A common mantra provided here to newbies for setting up for installation is:

Make the partition Primary

Make the partition ID=AF (signifies an HFS partition)

Make the partition Active

There is a built-in Unix utility in MacOSX that can be used to set your partition "Active". It is called Fdisk

Setting Your Partition "Active" Using Fdisk

Words in bold below are things you must type (followed by Enter).

1. Boot your Mac OS X install dvd

2. Once the installer is running, go to the Utilities menu and open Terminal

3. Determine which disk your MacOSX partition is on

Type diskutil list

Verify which disk number holds your partition (disk0, disk1, etc.)

4. Start using Fdisk

Assuming the MacOSX disk is the first disk ("disk0"), then

type fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0 <== use "rdisk" with your disk number here !!

Ignore the error "fdisk: could not open MBR file ..."

5. Determine which partition for MacOSX needs to be set "Active"

Type p

Verify which partition is for MacOSX (1, 2, 3, etc.)

6. Set the partition "Active"

Assuming it is partition 1, then

type f 1 <== use your partition number here !!

7. Save and exit

Type write

Type y (yes you are sure)

Type exit (to quit)

8. Remove the install DVD and reboot

As I mentioned in my original post, I already tried this method. I've read all 8 pages in this link, and I'm starting to believe my partition is "damaged". I've tried reinstalling OS X on it 3 different times (trying different things each time, such as formatting it Journaled vs Case Sensitive Journaled) and it still has this problem.

I've also tried using the myHack installer, and that made things worse by interfering with the ATI graphic drivers.

Any more suggestions?

• 2 months later...
As I mentioned in my original post, I already tried this method. I've read all 8 pages in this link, and I'm starting to believe my partition is "damaged". I've tried reinstalling OS X on it 3 different times (trying different things each time, such as formatting it Journaled vs Case Sensitive Journaled) and it still has this problem.

I've also tried using the myHack installer, and that made things worse by interfering with the ATI graphic drivers.

Any more suggestions?

Did you ever fix it?

Got the same prob here.

Let me know.

Thanks.

Last week I finally got around to joining the Hackintosh club by setting up a SL box. I followed the article on LifeHacker and I would say just about everything is ok except when I try to boot to the HDD without booting through the USB drive.

The error that I am getting (after Verifying Pool Data during the startup)is:

boot0: GPT
boot0:testing

To be honest, this problem really has me stumped. I don't know if it is incompatible hardware or what (I didn't follow the article's hardware list exactly). The article states to install Stella's EP45-UD3P package to the HDD after installation. This is done (matter of fact, I used v3).

I enjoy trying to solve the problem on my own (to learn how and why things work), so my searches have found that the partition needs to be formatted as MBR. Is this correct?

I've followed numerous articles including this one, this one, and Lifehacker's Terminal steps involving the boot1h, boot0, and boot files.

Is there anyone who has had a similar problem and knows exactly how to fix it? I've even tried installing Chameleon RC4, and have tried installing Stella's package on multiple occasions.

I don't know if it matters, but the current partition is GUID (as per Lifehacker's instructions) and is only 1 partition. I am not dual booting anything.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

I had near enough exactly the same problem but mine was due to trying to run different booloaders, EFI, chameleon and i messed things up. The fix came from inside the readme file that comes with the chameleon install package. The package has various bootloaders and the problem you are getting is because the bootloader does not match the type of setting for your HDD. My HDD is GUID but i wrongly configured my bootloader to MBR hence why i was getting virtually the same error as you, except where yours says boot0: GPT, mine said boot0: MBR. Anyway, to fix the problem i set mine to HFS and to do it i did the following.

Due to having previously tried to install chameleon, the files you require are in /usr/standalone/i386. You then type at the command prompt in terminal

sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2

noting that rdisk0s2 is the drive where you installed OSX.

Everytime i kept messing up my bootloader and getting the same error as you, i just type in the above line and mine worked booted up everytime. My HDD is GUID, with standard mac format HFS, so i believe that boot1h is the bootloader for HFS. Try it and see what happens

You can use a 1.5TB just fine for a Hackintosh if you partition the 1.5 into 2 partitions and install into the first one and then when it's booting fine delete the second partition and resize the first to the full 1.5TB. I just did it today and I have a 1.5 TB bootable Snow Leopard 10.6.2 This is on my GA-X58A-UD7. I have a 1.5TB bootable Snow Leopard drive on my P5W-DH but never had to do this. I just installed on to the 1.5 as is. Not sure why but I used the myhack installer for that one.

• 1 month later...
I had near enough exactly the same problem but mine was due to trying to run different booloaders, EFI, chameleon and i messed things up. The fix came from inside the readme file that comes with the chameleon install package. The package has various bootloaders and the problem you are getting is because the bootloader does not match the type of setting for your HDD. My HDD is GUID but i wrongly configured my bootloader to MBR hence why i was getting virtually the same error as you, except where yours says boot0: GPT, mine said boot0: MBR. Anyway, to fix the problem i set mine to HFS and to do it i did the following.

Due to having previously tried to install chameleon, the files you require are in /usr/standalone/i386. You then type at the command prompt in terminal

noting that rdisk0s2 is the drive where you installed OSX.

Everytime i kept messing up my bootloader and getting the same error as you, i just type in the above line and mine worked booted up everytime. My HDD is GUID, with standard mac format HFS, so i believe that boot1h is the bootloader for HFS. Try it and see what happens

Where do we find the chameleon install package? is the /usr/standalone/i386/ you're referring to on the install disk? if so than all I need to do is in terminal dd that file onto rdisk0s2 (my snow leopard is also on the second partition [out of 4, all primary and correct file systems])

I think I may have a similar situation to you: I had Kalyway's 10.5.2 then I used mac's software update to install 10.5.8 combo update. At 14% it gave me the dreaded 'You need to restart your computer' box. So when I restarted I get kernel panic all I could discern was the line (unsupported cpu). {censored}. SO...

After a format and clean install of hazard's 10.6.1-10.6.2, I had several errors. I selected Chameleon I wanna say RC3 with PCIEFI 10.5. and upon boot my computer just hard resets. I clean installed with Chameleon RC3 PCEFI 10.3 and same error. Lastly I selected UUID as an option (with no bootloaders) and I get the

If I make my win7 partition active and try and boot with the menu option created from BCDedit 2.0 I get

Chain Booting Error.

Any insight into this would help as I don't know what direction to go. Let me try the dd and I'll report back to you in the meantime I dunno if it helps but my mobo and cpu are from a Sony Vaio VGC-RA828G(UC)...

Thanks in advance!

Hello,

i had the same problem. i've thought i'm going nuts because i did everything right and it was not working. Changed the hdd which was shipped with my wind u100 to a 640 gb hdd and same problem.

could boot from external usb and cham but not form the hdd itself.

Solution:

everytime you mount and unmount the EFI partition in normal mac osx the boot1h will be "zero"-ed.

you have to do the following:

1. take an external bootloader with cham

2. select boot from you osx hdd but with the option -s (SIngle user mode)

3. go to you cham folder where the boot1h resides and type the following command

dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s1

Important: My EFI is disk0 partition 1

just reboot

everything is working.

• 5 months later...

SOLUTION *** SOLUTION *** SOLUTION *** SOLUTION

EDIT: I found a tutorial here on InsanelyMac that can take the place of the previously described off-site tutorial for installing EFI. The method has been around for a while, and in theory should not be necesssary with RC4 Chameleon, but for some it still is a more useful method, especially in this case... http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=127330

I have successfully installed OS X onto a 1.5TB disk, with a single partition, and no partition resizing junk at all.

Even though Chameleon RC3 and on claims to properly support disks larger than 1TB, I had no luck with just doing a normal install to my OS partition. However, using an old (EFI) method worked perfectly for me.

If you're formatting your boot disk as EFI (which you'd most likely be doing if you want your entire large disk to work as a Mac drive), you can use the 200mb EFI partition that is created by Disk Utility to store your Chameleon bootloader and extensions.

Steps I took:

1. Boot [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] CD, at the boot screen swap it out for OSX Installer DVD and hit F5 to refresh.

2. Select the OSX Install DVD and hit Enter to boot.

3. Once in OS X Installer, use Disk Utility to ERASE your entire large HD. Use the Partition tab, and remember to use Advanced to make sure it's being formatted with a GUID partition table. Since OS X thinks you're going to use this as a boot volume (on a real Mac), it will create the 200mb EFI data partition for you even if you select to only create one partition. PC BIOSes don't need this partition to boot, so we will use it to store Chameleon and our boot data.

4. Proceed normally with OSX Installation.

5. Use [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] to get your OSX installation running (boot from [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url], select your hard drive installation.) Update to OSX 10.6.4. Also, while you're there download any kexts you may need that you don't already have available on some form of media. (I use a flash drive containing all the stuff I'll need to setup my box: DSDT, kexts, my edited boot plist, and edited smbios.plist, all in an Extra folder.)

6. Get the most recent Chameleon build. Use Google, it is your friend, but "chameleon bootloader" should get you started. Keep it handy. You'll be using this in the next step, which will tell you how to get Chameleon installed onto your drive manually.

7. Format and mount your EFI partition. A guide is available on the Voodoo forum, just search Google for "install chameleon to efi" and pick the first result. I don't want to copy the guide and take credit where it is not deserved, and I can't link to it per restrictions. When following this guide however DO NOT unmount the partition yet and definitely do NOT reboot, we're not ready yet. Don't worry either about copying your Extras folder, we're about to set that up. Just follow the guide to format your EFI partition and install Chameleon, and using Fdisk to set the partition active.

8. You can use [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] at this point if you like, to get your Kexts ready. However, do NOT install a Chameleon package from the [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] package. Its Chameleons are unable to boot disks larger than 1TB no matter what you do! This means do not use [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] or UserDSDT, but only install your Kexts manually. (It's also ok to install an smbios plist and an apple boot plist.) Basically at this point get your /Extra folder ready.

10. With the EFI partition still mounted, move your /Extra folder to it.

11. Strongly recommended: Using Terminal, symlink /Volumes/EFI/Extra to /Extra, so that Kext Helper can run on it and create your custom Extensions.mkext. In the Terminal:

ln -s /Volumes/EFI/Extra /Extra

Now run Kext Helper. It will repair permiossions and create your extensions caches. Remember after running to remove the symlink:

rm -f /Extra

12. Using the Terminal, unmount the EFI partition and remove its mountpoint under /Volumes.

13. **IMPORTANT** As was stated earlier in this forum, the act of mounting or unmounting an HFS filesystem causes its boot code to be cleared! You need to now once again reinstall Chameleon's boot1h loader into your EFI partition. You will need to do this EVERY TIME you ever mount your EFI partition, even if you make no changes. You can refer back to the EFI partition guide's section on installing Chameleon to remember how to install the boot1h loader to the partition.

It's more work, but once it's done, it works flawlessly. A fringe benefit is that nothing can (easily) touch your /Extra folder. Your OS volume will look just like a stock installation volume, all the way down to its boot code! (Since you are actually instead booting the EFI partition and using its boot code, which in turn loads the kernel and OS from your OS partition.)

I don't know if this will need to change once 10.6.5 is released, but if so I'll update at that time.

-fm