Guide to Atheros AR5BXB6 /5212 fully working Airport

gatd

3 posts in this topic

Ok I have just got my Atheros AR 5BXB6 /5212 working onIBM x60t OS X 10.5.8 after many many hours

It was working with the Network Diagontics trick but was to many clicks I had to enter security codes etc every time which was a real pain,plus the fact that aiport would never turn on and the card became very hot.

Here is how I did it

Download DPCIManger for mac from http://casualsight.com (click on downloads)

Run the app and find your atheros card, in the fist column is the info you need ie 168c:1014 (this was mine yours might be different)

Then in Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist I changed the BSD Name en0 and IOInterfaceUnit 0 to en1 and 1 in the plist for the airport card ie

<dict>

<key>Active</key>

<true/>

<key>BSD Name</key>

<string>en1</string>

<key>IOBuiltin</key>

<true/>

<key>IOInterfaceType</key>

<integer>6</integer>

<key>IOInterfaceUnit</key>

<integer>1</integer>

<key>IOMACAddress</key>

<data>

ABbPKhyR

</data>

<key>IOPathMatch</key>

<string>IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/EXP1@1C,1/IOPCI2PCIBridge/network@0/AirPort_Athr5424/AtherosInterface</string>

Then I went to system preferences / Network and turned off configure IPv4 in advanced TCP/IP for Airport

Then I copied from iDeneb 10.5.5 patches with pacifist the contents of Atheros.pkg to my hard drive there are two files, the kernel.framework and IO108211Family.kext

I deleted the kernel.framework from my system frameworks folder and placed the one from 10.5.5 in its place

Then show package contents for the IO8211Family.kext go to the plugins folder and and show package contents for the AirPortAtheros.kext open the info.plist in text editor and look for this

<key>Atheros Wireless LAN PCI</key>

<dict>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.apple.driver.AirPortAtheros</string>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>AirPort_Athr5424</string>

<key>IOMatchCategory</key>

<string>IODefaultMatchCategory</string>

<key>IONameMatch</key>

<array>

<string>pci168c,23</string>

<string>pci168c,24</string>

</array>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOPCIDevice</string>

</dict>

I changed the string>pci168c,23 to the numbers I got from DPCIManger for my card, mine was 168c:1014 so I entered 168c,1014, I also removed the over entry (<string>pci168,24</string) and renamed the 2 <array>

to <string> ie

<key>Atheros Wireless LAN PCI</key>

<dict>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.apple.driver.AirPortAtheros</string>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>AirPort_Athr5424</string>

<key>IOMatchCategory</key>

<string>IODefaultMatchCategory</string>

<key>IONameMatch</key>

<string>

<string>pci168c,1014</string>

</string>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOPCIDevice</string>

</dict>

I now saved the plist. and closed all windows then installed the IO80211Family.kext with Kext Helper (http://cheetha.net/)

Then I Reboot and now when I went to system preferences /Network my Airport will now turn and connected

Then I went to advanced TCP/IP and ConfigureIPv4 Using DHCP and now have fully working Airport with WPA Etc !!!!!!!!!

You can use these files if you have 168c,1014 or just change that number to whatever your card is ,it should work for any Atheros card

http://www.mediafire.com/?d35dzf43z5y

Hope this helps someone

• 1 year later...