[SOLVED] Can't change color depth on Snow Leopard, stuck at 16bit!

mkMoSs

11 posts in this topic

I've been struggling for more than 3 days now fighting with kernel panics and nvidia related kexts.

After I finally got my HP Pavilion dv5295ea with GeForce 7400 go working with hardware acceleration working as well

(top bar is translucent, 3d apps like google earth work smoothly)

it seems that my laptop display is stuck at 16bit color depth.

In system preferences->displays, the option to change color depth is missing!

Although when i connect external VGA monitor, the color depth is in 32bit (I made a white to black gradient image and I can tell the difference from it)

My laptop display remains in 16bit while the VGA external monitor works in 32bit, but still the option to change color depth is missing for both displays!

My head is about to explode, I tried everything, I searched everywhere, I can't find anything that suggests a solution for this problem.

It really sucks having the laptop display limited to 16bit color and unable to change it.

I am using NVinjectGo.kext (nothing else works, all others refuse to enable hardware acceleration)

However before I installed Snow Leopard, I had 10.5.8 with the same NVinjectGo kext, and I had NO such problem, it was working fine.

Please if someone has any idea why this is happening (stuck at 16bit color, unable to change color depth) I would appreciate your help!

I've been struggling for more than 3 days now fighting with kernel panics and nvidia related kexts.

After I finally got my HP Pavilion dv5295ea with GeForce 7400 go working with hardware acceleration working as well

(top bar is translucent, 3d apps like google earth work smoothly)

it seems that my laptop display is stuck at 16bit color depth.

In system preferences->displays, the option to change color depth is missing!

Although when i connect external VGA monitor, the color depth is in 32bit (I made a white to black gradient image and I can tell the difference from it)

My laptop display remains in 16bit while the VGA external monitor works in 32bit, but still the option to change color depth is missing for both displays!

My head is about to explode, I tried everything, I searched everywhere, I can't find anything that suggests a solution for this problem.

It really sucks having the laptop display limited to 16bit color and unable to change it.

I am using NVinjectGo.kext (nothing else works, all others refuse to enable hardware acceleration)

However before I installed Snow Leopard, I had 10.5.8 with the same NVinjectGo kext, and I had NO such problem, it was working fine.

Please if someone has any idea why this is happening (stuck at 16bit color, unable to change color depth) I would appreciate your help!

Hi,

I have the same graphics card.

You can try the following.

1. Backup NVinject.kext.

2. Download Ntekas efi 10.5(basically boot file)

3. Copy boot file file to root.

4. Edit boot.plist file to have graphics to have GraphicsEnabler to true.

5. Delete NVinject.kect from /S/L/E(no need of any graphics enabler kexts)

6. Reboot

hope it works well.

Do let me know the result.

HOLY {censored}! It was SO simple! A simple option in the com.apple.Boot.plist and everything works!

FYI I didn't need to install the netkas efi, the existing chameleon rc3 did the trick!

No need for any Nvidia kext, it works fully in 32bit color by just the GraphicsEnable=Yes in the boot.plist!

Thank you, thank you, thank you! (I'm still very new to mac os, still acquiring the tricks and secrets :) )

HOLY {censored}! It was SO simple! A simple option in the com.apple.Boot.plist and everything works!

FYI I didn't need to install the netkas efi, the existing chameleon rc3 did the trick!

No need for any Nvidia kext, it works fully in 32bit color by just the GraphicsEnable=Yes in the boot.plist!

Thank you, thank you, thank you! (I'm still very new to mac os, still acquiring the tricks and secrets :D )

thats cool.

Actually i you have the latest pcefi,you will be able to display correct info in the "PCI Cards" section of system profiler.As far as i have known,this is only cosmetic effect but nevertheless,its good to have more precise info.

I had Tried NVInject, DSDT patch,e everything but I was never able to enable QE/CI on the same graphics card on HP DV5200tx. Tried removing all injects and then changed the .plist file aswell, still nothing works.

Now I`ve reisntalled Leopard, still changing Boot.plist alone doesnt work. Am I missing something ?

I had Tried NVInject, DSDT patch,e everything but I was never able to enable QE/CI on the same graphics card on HP DV5200tx. Tried removing all injects and then changed the .plist file aswell, still nothing works.

Now I`ve reisntalled Leopard, still changing Boot.plist alone doesnt work. Am I missing something ?

Which bootloader do you use ?

I would suggest you to try using the latest pcefi by Netkas.

To be a little more specific make sure you have latest Chameleon installed (Chameleon-2.0-RC3-r658 is current latest) then (although not necessary) install PC EFI 10.5 from Netkas (which is just a "boot" file, replace the one that chameleon installs on your root "/") then edit com.apple.Boot.plist (which resides in your /Extra folder) and add:

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>

paste it right after

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

make SURE no other Nvidia injection related kexts are loading!

I did nothing else, just that and it works with hardware acceleration and everything!

To be a little more specific make sure you have latest Chameleon installed (Chameleon-2.0-RC3-r658 is current latest) then (although not necessary) install PC EFI 10.5 from Netkas (which is just a "boot" file, replace the one that chameleon installs on your root "/") then edit com.apple.Boot.plist (which resides in your /Extra folder) and add:

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>

paste it right after

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

make SURE no other Nvidia injection related kexts are loading!

I did nothing else, just that and it works with hardware acceleration and everything!

works like a Charm, I'm using Chameleon RC3

The good old problem of Intel3945ABG persists.. Did anyone ever got any luck with Camphor ?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
if posible can some one you send me your dsdt.aml file you used and kext for snow leopard

i have dv5000 same as dv8000 but cant get the battery to show no ethernet wifi nore pci express

regards

Hi, I saw that you were running leopard on HP DV5200TX, i have the same with me and trying to install Leopard with iAtkos 7 with no luck also tried other iso but still panic. Please help me and let me know how did you install Leopard on HP DV5200TX. following is the link of my laptop configuration, hope you have the same.

http://www.bechna.com/shop~online-laptops-...h~p-160344.html

Please help me, as i wasted few night with no luck.

Thanks,